PDA

View Full Version : Let's try and remember that there are....

SoonerKnight
9/5/2009, 11:36 PM
A lot more games to be played. We will still play Miami, Texas, OSU, Kansas, and most importantly we will still have a chance to play for the Big XII title game and there is no reason to not win out. We can still win out the rest of the year. We lost by 1 point. We lost our QB we were without our TE we have issues but it is not fatal. We have a defense that played really well tonight because if they hadn't we would have been embarrassed greatly. Hall put up great numbers and still barely won the game. Ou O-line is new and we need to remember that our D last year improved as the year went on.

If your a bandwagonner well the wagon is at a stop get the hell off and STFU! The rest of us are still proud to be Sooners and root for the good guys. I was born and raised in Norman, Oklahoma my folks and other family still live out there. I love Oklahoma and Oklahoma football. BYU is not a bad football team. We had chances to win but did not. Either way these issues would come to light. Now, these players have a chance to get fired up and not let it happen again all year. If we do that with the toughest schedule in the country we will be forgiven.

One game does not mean the season is over!!!!!

Crucifax Autumn
9/5/2009, 11:47 PM
Damn right. We can still take the conference and still take 8!

Since71ASooner4Life
9/5/2009, 11:57 PM
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but anyone being honest with themselves comes away from this game realizing that it could be a long and difficult year for us. We've now got our two best offensive players out indefinitely, and I think we all realized tonight that the 20+ seniors gone from last year are not easily replaced - especially on the O-Line. Sure BYU did some good things tonight, but honestly, did they look all that good themselves, or did we just look flat as can be? How many penalties (not forced by us) did they have? The truth of the matter is had we started the season with a top 10 opponent we would have lost convincingly. McCoy was awesome, D-Line in general played pretty well, but there wasn't a whole lot else to get excited about. As expected the passing game took a huge hit when Sam went down, but honestly, I didn't see any great athleticism displayed regardless. We miss those 3 senior wide-outs, the O-Line, and Nick Harris & Lendy Holmes. I hope I'm wrong and we win out the rest of the way, but tonight didn't show me anything close to a good reason to believe that is possible

Crucifax Autumn
9/6/2009, 12:06 AM
It may be difficult, but it may not. Let's watch and cheer for OUr team.

Cinco Ranch Cougar
9/6/2009, 12:17 AM
Face the facts - jumping off sides, holding, personal fouls have nothing to do with young players.
It has all to do with being prepared by the coaching staff, and we continue to make the small, petty mistakes every freaking year when we are in a big game.
Eliminate the self inflicted miscues, both small and large, and we win this game. Maybe not pretty, but we win.
Young, inexperienced players do not make the multitude of stupid mistakes that were made tonight - ill coached players with no discipline and structure make those kinds of mistakes.
Holding these guys to 14 points and we lose!!! You have got to be kidding me.
And if you think this is going to change over night then you are on another planet. They have had 6 months to learn how to come off the ball after it is snapped, to avoid holding calls, and to not lose your cool. If they cannot get it done in 6 months, why on earth do you think it can happen over the next 3 months?
I see four more losses at least.
Oh by the way, I am third generation OU grad so don't try to lay that bandwagon BS on me pal. I suffered through Gomer.

delhalew
9/6/2009, 12:31 AM
Copy and Paste...waste of space.

jumperstop
9/6/2009, 12:35 AM
A lot more games to be played. We will still play Miami, Texas, OSU, Kansas, and most importantly we will still have a chance to play for the Big XII title game and there is no reason to not win out. We can still win out the rest of the year. We lost by 1 point. We lost our QB we were without our TE we have issues but it is not fatal. We have a defense that played really well tonight because if they hadn't we would have been embarrassed greatly. Hall put up great numbers and still barely won the game. Ou O-line is new and we need to remember that our D last year improved as the year went on.

If your a bandwagonner well the wagon is at a stop get the hell off and STFU! The rest of us are still proud to be Sooners and root for the good guys. I was born and raised in Norman, Oklahoma my folks and other family still live out there. I love Oklahoma and Oklahoma football. BYU is not a bad football team. We had chances to win but did not. Either way these issues would come to light. Now, these players have a chance to get fired up and not let it happen again all year. If we do that with the toughest schedule in the country we will be forgiven.

One game does not mean the season is over!!!!!

Just because someone is thinking logically doesn't mean they're on the bandwagon. 6 plays in a row from inside the 5 yard line and we can't punch it in. If you look at the games we got coming up they are much tougher games than this one. We need to step up our game if you there is any chance for a big 12 championship.

SoonerKnight
9/6/2009, 12:48 AM
I didn't call anyone a bandwagon fan! I said if you are a bandwagonner well the wagon is at a stop get the hell off and STFU!

My point is that this game was big but we still have a chance to pull it out. Did the offense play great no. Did we have a chance to win
YES! Is this the coaches fault? Well he is the responsible for everything but the players have to get out there and produce. Tonight they read too many clippings and the BYU players had a chip on their shoulder and wanted to prove something. DOES this mean that OU is going to have a bad year? No, hell it only means they have to play harder and LEARN from this game tonight. Seriously, it is not the end of the world and all I have seen is a bunch of whining!!

Laelaface
9/6/2009, 01:07 AM
Copy and Paste...waste of space.

Don't forget to put it in your face,
And remember we haven't lost the race,
Or there is no judging for taste,
And as along as we have Baylor, we will never be in last place!

SoonerKnight
9/6/2009, 01:45 AM
We have all seen OU in down years this is no where close. We will be better as the year moves on. Sammy will come back!

rainiersooner
9/6/2009, 02:05 AM
I appreciate the enthusiasm. I also appreciate this ninth cocktail in front of me. Boomer.

SOONER44EVER
9/6/2009, 02:07 AM
Don't forget to put it in your face,
And remember we haven't lost the race,
Or there is no judging for taste,
And as along as we have Baylor, we will never be in last place!

Baylor won. Right now we are in last place. :(

SoonerKnight
9/6/2009, 03:18 AM
Keep hope alive and remember:

Boomer Sooner!!!!

East Coast Bias
9/6/2009, 07:22 AM
A lot of good analysis here (cut and paste-not neccessary) but I think we all agree our team was poorly coached and not ready to play. Our coaches need to study some of these lower tier teams (Tulsa) that play beyond their talent and figure out at least how to get more talent out. That is the coaches job, right? Admittedly the coaching limits our talent.....

nBoSTP
9/6/2009, 07:28 AM
I will agree that the Oklahoma defense played well on 1st and 2nd down but they were horrible on 3rd down. Even when it is 3rd and 8 or 9 it never shocks me when the other team converts anymore.

oupride
9/6/2009, 07:46 AM
There were a lot of positives. Thanks for the thread.

StatesEye
9/6/2009, 08:47 AM
First, BYU before this season has won 32 games in three years. I know this record would probably be different if they played in the Big XXII, however they play against TCU and Utah. They ARE a top 25 team, easily. It's not like we lost to an eventual 4-7 or 5-6 Stanford team at home.

The offesive line was for the most part atrocious. Coaching has to take some blame for that. They were not ready. Sam was getting hit way to much. When you get into 1st and 20 or 2nd and 15 positions because of penalties, your QB is going to need time to throw to get you out of it. I don't care if he is Tom Brady, he will need time. The coaching staff, tried to put the game in Sam's hands. BYU's delayed blitz game the new OL too much trouble. TCU did the same thing to OU last year in the second half (with a veteran offesive line), and Sam was hit in that game more than any other. Of course last year OU ran "jail break" screens to counter this with major success. I did not see a lot of that last night. Basically a new and inconsistent OL with new and inconsistent receivers playing a top 25opponent in an opener in an unfamiliar environment did OU in. BYU had many of the same issues and probably has lesser talent. BYU overcame there shortcommings. OU did not. I attribute this to overconfindence, both from the players and coaches. I would gather this will no longer be an issue the rest of the season after last night.

Receivers can't block worth a darn. Maybe this is why we didn't see andy "jail breaks". I'm very concerned about the receiving corps. They did not catch well in traffic, either. This is the most concerning area for the team right now, in my opinion.

Defense played a very good game. I would say an exceptional game except for BYU's last drive to win the game. Franks losing his man in the endzone was extremely disappointing. Furthermore, the pass defense continues to be soft in the short middle. It has been for eight years now. I have no idea what's wrong there. Blitz packages are transparent and ineffective, still. Holding BYU to 14 is pretty good but giving up 3rd and long over and over again during "crunch time" must stop.

Positives......
If no one can see how good this OL can be, then you are missing some plays. When they picked up the blitz or if there was no blitz, the QB had all day to throw. At times they communicated extremely well, moving over the help. I can't recall any time when a O-linman was beaten. They missed a lot of assignments, true. However from my vantage point, this OL is much more athletic than last years. I fully expect this OL to be one of the best in the country within 3 or 4 more games. Hopefully, sooner. Run blocking was very good to great in single back sets or power sets. One caveat, OL can not stay in a set position for 10 seconds and be expected to get the kind of explosion needed for short yardage situation. In vertical leap measurements, players don't crouch for 10 seconds then jump. "Fast twitch muscles" don't work that way.

I was very impressed with Landry Jones. He did a great job except for two plays: a short hopper (embarassing) and the underthrown ball to Tennell. Still, Tennell should have caught that ball. Jones has very good pocket feel, keeps his eyes up field and his deliveries were accurate enough to be caught. He seemed to have very good ball velocity as well. We should be fine here for the next few games (if the receivers come through).

Honestly, a national title shot is extremely remote for this season. This was a very "bad" loss in the BCS system. I still believe we have a great shot at being one of the best teams in the country by mid-season, though. Sam will be back (hopefully) soon. Gresham will take some pressure off the young (and I still think very talented) receivers until they get their game legs. I have very little concern about the OL. The problems there are very correctable. We'll have to play spoiler and hope for some luck. This should be a fun season.

OKC-SLC
9/6/2009, 09:46 AM
I respectfully disagree that the O-line will be among the best in the country after a few games.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 10:01 AM
I respectfully disagree that the O-line will be among the best in the country after a few games.

I don't think they will either, but I think they can come together and play good enough where we can win the rest of our games. They just need snaps and they will get that next week.