PDA

View Full Version : A Few of Things to Take Away from This

OUTromBoNado
9/5/2009, 09:45 PM
First, does this loss suck? Hell yes it does. However, by no means is our season over. This is Week 1. There's a lot of football left to be played, not just by our Sooners, but by everyone. Remember, it's a hell of a lot better to lose early than late. Last year is a prime example of that.

Second, let's be brutally honest about the O-line. They stunk the joint up initially, but got their feet under them during the second half. Considering the rebuilding job on the O-line, that's a good thing. If they showed no improvement during the game, then I would be worried. However, all the false starts and holding penalties are inexcusable. IIRC, one of our players had 3 false starts. Unacceptable. But, they'll get better.

Third, I'm tired of the vanilla play calling early in the season. Now I know I have no football experience, and this is probably just me ranting. But when you are playing a quality opponent, you've got to go with the full playbook. When our O-line was struggling, we should not have kept trying to run the ball. There is no reason why Sam Bradford should have single-digit pass attempts late in the second quarter.

Fourth, our defense played pretty well. They kept us in it. If we had been able to put points on the board, our D played more than well enough for us to win.

Fifth, Landry did well. I've seen the backup QB come in during similar situations, and play a lot worse. Landry gave us a chance, and that's all you can ask for. Sure, he made some costly mistakes. That delay of game on 4th and Goal from the 1-foot line was major.

Sixth, some will argue that we should not be playing games like that at the beginning of the season. Looking back at history, these are the type of victories, that if won, pay off dividends down the road. This has benefited us time and time again. Sure, it's a big risk, but it's also a big reward. I'm not sure I would play a game like this as an opener, but I'm all for playing at least one ranked team in the non-conference schedule. I'm a lot more proud of our team for playing these tough games than scheduling 3-4 cupcakes.

So, everyone take a huge breath and step away from the keyboards. There's a long way to go. Let's just see what happens now. Hopefully, Bradford and Gresham will be back and ready to go by the Miami game. If not, well, I'm sure our coaches will figure something out. They always do.

tigepilot
9/5/2009, 09:56 PM
On your third point... running wildcat with your Heisman trophy qb at wide out is NOT vanilla. If anything... it's careless.

On your fourth point, I couldn't agree more. I do think he played better as a backup than Halze against Tech '07. That being said, on that last drive, we should have been running the ball. There was plenty of time to get it to around the twenty with time to kick given the amount of time-outs.

Jock Ewing
9/5/2009, 09:58 PM
You lost to a crap team. That's all. "Big Game Bob" rules though.

Leroy Lizard
9/5/2009, 10:14 PM
No, if we lose next week we will have lost to a crap team.

BlueNtheFace
9/5/2009, 10:21 PM
Good game, Sooners. Good luck the rest of the way. Hopefully Bradford comes back soon and shreds the remaining teams. Both teams played pretty physical and the execution will only get better.

Go BYU. Go OU!

GrapevineSooner
9/5/2009, 10:32 PM
What bothers me about these kinds of losses is it seems like we go in, thinking we'll be able to dominate and the other team will lose it's will to fight. Instead, we get punched in the mouth and don't know how to respond. There's no plan B it seems.

Probably why it seems like our offense is predictable and stale.

That all having been said (and I mentioned this in the GDT), if Gresham plays, we win.

Any good pass catching TE makes for a very nice security blanket. Any talented pass catching TE that can multiple things for you is a very dangerous weapon. So much so that if you're an opposing DC, you can't run the kind of blitzes that eventually caused Sam to get knocked out of the game.

budbarrybob
9/5/2009, 10:41 PM
[QUOTE=GrapevineSooner;2692765]What bothers me about these kinds of losses is it seems like we go in, thinking we'll be able to dominate and the other team will lose it's will to fight. Instead, we get punched in the mouth and don't know how to respond. There's no plan B it seems.

Probably why it seems like our offense is predictable and stale.
QUOTE]

^^^^ THIS explains 90% of what happened tonight...

OUTromBoNado
9/5/2009, 10:43 PM
On your third point... running wildcat with your Heisman trophy qb at wide out is NOT vanilla. If anything... it's careless.

Yeah, I just remembered that right after I finished my post. IMHO, we have no business running the wildcat (wildhorsepig?) with a Hesiman winner at QB. I don't think we have the right type of personnel to run it effectively. Direct snaps to Murray though? I have no problem with that. You can direct snap it to him out of the shotgun. That's a good wrinkle.

tigepilot
9/6/2009, 12:02 AM
Yeah, I just remembered that right after I finished my post. IMHO, we have no business running the wildcat (wildhorsepig?) with a Hesiman winner at QB. I don't think we have the right type of personnel to run it effectively. Direct snaps to Murray though? I have no problem with that. You can direct snap it to him out of the shotgun. That's a good wrinkle.

I just couldn't understand running the wildcat at all. Just takes the ball completely out of Bradford's hands.