PDA

View Full Version : Letter from parent to teachers. Re: President speech Sept 8

Boarder
9/4/2009, 12:35 PM
This is not some forwarded email. It's a real live letter sent from an Oklahoman.

Just felt like sharing this. It's a copy of an e-mail I just fired off to C and S's teachers regarding President Obama's speech to school kids. I hope more parents will contact their schools if they have similar concerns, as my our principal told me that he was receiving many calls from parents who oppose the speech being shown, and very few from parents who would like their kids to see it.

Dear Mrs....

I understand that Principal ...has made the decision to leave it up to the individual teachers whether or not to show the president’s Sept. 8 live speech to students in the classroom. As a parent of a child in your classroom, I would like to briefly express my opinion on the matter.

I will be extremely disappointed if S misses out on the opportunity to hear the president of the United States of America address her directly. I have looked at the U.S. Department of Education’s Website to get an idea of what the speech will convey, ideas such as the importance of staying in school, personal responsibility, and civic duty. It deeply saddens me that partisan politics would possibly prevent my children from having the chance to be inspired by the leader of our nation on these very important topics.

I strongly feel that, whether or not any one person voted for the current president, or whether or not we agree with his policy proposals, President Obama holds the highest elected office in the United States. To choose to not show the speech teaches my children disrespect for that office. I would go on to suggest that discussion of the speech, including any political discussion that may follow, would be tremendous opportunity for a civics education lesson for my child. It deeply concerns me that a handful of vocal parents who oppose the president on political grounds may deny my children the chance for this boost to their citizenship education.

As I understand it, parents have the ability to “opt out” of allowing their children to listen to the speech. I think it a sad state of affairs that any parent would exercise that option, but I agree that it is their right to do so. However, I for one am concerned that I as parent will not have the chance to “opt in” to something I really want my children to be a part of.

I would go on to request that if you choose not to show the speech in your classroom, that S be allowed to visit a room where the speech is being shown so that she won’t miss out.

Sincerely,

L

Boarder
9/4/2009, 12:37 PM
I agree, what kind if weird family has just initials for names?

Mjcpr
9/4/2009, 12:39 PM
I agree, and Principal ... ? That sounds made up to me.

OklahomaTuba
9/4/2009, 12:45 PM
I agree, they should show this. He is The President for Christ's Sake.

But I think the outrage over this is showing just how angry people are getting now.

OULenexaman
9/4/2009, 12:49 PM
it's a beautiful thing.....

JohnnyMack
9/4/2009, 12:51 PM
the speech will convey, ideas such as......personal responsibility,

http://mirror.servut.us/kuvat/o-rly-putin.jpg

OUHOMER
9/4/2009, 01:34 PM
I agree too, I am not a fan of Obama, but i dont think he is trying to some overt message to the kids.

if he did all hell would break loose, let the kids see it. if the parents did there job correctly. they could have a family discussion about it.

StoopTroup
9/4/2009, 01:42 PM
Anyone reacting to that in a negative way really misses out on just how effective the President can be on Kids lives. Whether you like the guy or not, agree with him or not...I think the message that he conveys of "Anyone can grow up to be President of the United States of America" is as good a case as could be made in our Nations history.

Scott D
9/4/2009, 02:03 PM
I agree too, I am not a fan of Obama, but i dont think he is trying to some overt message to the kids.

if he did all hell would break loose, let the kids see it. if the parents did there job correctly. they could have a family discussion about it.

I seem to remember the same thing being done 18 years ago and people weren't screaming brainwashing then.

StoopTroup
9/4/2009, 02:09 PM
I seem to remember the same thing being done 18 years ago and people weren't screaming brainwashing then.

It seems some folks have really lost their minds in the last decade. Maybe it has more to do with the internet. Before lots of folks weren't computer savvy and now they receive all sorts of messages from each other regarding political views. No one uses the Main Stream Media nor do they fact check. They just read something they think fits their way of thinking and hit forward and throw it out there into the vast internet.

I've got an Aunt that sends every freaking thing that some supposed expert has found.

yermom
9/4/2009, 02:35 PM
i don't know. L sounds kinda bitchy.

yermom
9/4/2009, 02:36 PM
and it's going to be on CSPAN so it's not like only the kids are going to see it

TMcGee86
9/4/2009, 02:50 PM
I'm wary of all earnestness.

That being said, I want my 3rd grader to see it, then I want her to come home and talk about it. I can then inform her of my position on the matter and she can make up her own mind.

I just dont believe in running away from ideas, no matter how much they repulse me. If he makes an obvious ploy to brainwash the youth, it's my job to properly inform my kids of the other side of the debate.

Taxman71
9/4/2009, 02:50 PM
Here's a preview from Obama's speech....you have to wear certain sunglasses to see the truth:

http://www.movingimagesource.us/images/articles/They-Live_2-20080813-125142-medium.jpg

Pricetag
9/4/2009, 03:05 PM
It seems some folks have really lost their minds in the last decade. Maybe it has more to do with the internet. Before lots of folks weren't computer savvy and now they receive all sorts of messages from each other regarding political views. No one uses the Main Stream Media nor do they fact check. They just read something they think fits their way of thinking and hit forward and throw it out there into the vast internet.

I've got an Aunt that sends every freaking thing that some supposed expert has found.
The thing about the Internet is that it enables people to be so much louder. It's tough not to get discouraged about the state of our populace, but the crazies aren't the majority. They're just the loudest. The even-keeled folks have never been the loudest.

C&CDean
9/4/2009, 03:05 PM
Did any previous presidents speeches get shown on the TV at the grade school? The only ones I remember seeing were historical stuff like JFKs "ask not blah blah blah" and Nixon's "I resign."

Personally, I think presidential speeches should be shown on primetime TV only just to **** up all that Idol/Survivor **** you numbskulls dig on.

GottaHavePride
9/4/2009, 03:20 PM
You know, he's probably just going to say something like "Learn how to freakin add and spell, you little turds. And quit being turds. Turds."

Well, if I was the prez, that'd be MY speech. ;)

StoopTroup
9/4/2009, 03:22 PM
The thing about the Internet is that it enables people to be so much louder. It's tough not to get discouraged about the state of our populace, but the crazies aren't the majority. They're just the loudest. The even-keeled folks have never been the loudest.

Well....technology is becoming more useful than a chalkboard.

The times are a changin' Dean.

Scott D
9/4/2009, 03:39 PM
Did any previous presidents speeches get shown on the TV at the grade school? The only ones I remember seeing were historical stuff like JFKs "ask not blah blah blah" and Nixon's "I resign."

Personally, I think presidential speeches should be shown on primetime TV only just to **** up all that Idol/Survivor **** you numbskulls dig on.

Actually, George H. W. Bush gave the same type of address back in 1991, thanks for playing.

delhalew
9/4/2009, 04:23 PM
Actually, George H. W. Bush gave the same type of address back in 1991, thanks for playing.

I guess they did not show that at the high schools. At no time during my school days were we ever addressed by the Pres. I keep hearing that some (R)'s have tried and it got got shot down, but I consider that here say.

swardboy
9/4/2009, 05:27 PM
Ronaldus Maximus did it.

soonerloyal
9/4/2009, 05:29 PM
I swear, it's like the GOP has fallen into a huge pond of stupid, and lemmings are jumping in just to say they got wet, too.

Sad, really. Sad.

Ronald Reagan, to the nation's classrooms, via the teevee machine, in 1988: "Taxes can be such a penalty on people that there's no incentive for them to prosper and to earn more and so forth because they have to give so much to the government." Was Reagan indoctrinating the children with his political philosophy? But that was okay...it was Ronny, and he was GOP.

*burp*

Curly Bill
9/4/2009, 05:32 PM
I swear, it's like the GOP has fallen into a huge pond of stupid, and lemmings are jumping in just to say they got wet, too.

Sad, really. Sad.

KC when did you start posting under this name?

soonerloyal
9/4/2009, 05:38 PM
Why do you hate thinking? ;) :rolleyes:

Curly Bill
9/4/2009, 05:40 PM
Why do you hate thinking? ;) :rolleyes:

Why do you think continually coming up with different ways to say Republicans are stupid is witty?

badger
9/4/2009, 05:42 PM
From the outcry over this, you'd think some people are convinced that President Obama is going to pull off his mask to reveal that he was Osama bin Laden all along and tell the kids to act all anti-American or something.

Let the president tell the kiddos to work hard and make something of themselves. It's exactly what we want kids to hear and what we probably would tell them if given the same opportunity.

soonerloyal
9/4/2009, 05:48 PM
Don't ask them to be reasonable or consider the deeds of past Admins, or throw in facts, Good Gawd, man, think of the children!

Dear GAWD, won't somebody PLEASE think of the CHILDREN!!!

:eek:

StoopTroup
9/4/2009, 05:51 PM
Can't forget the "War on Drugs" campaign either.

Thank God we finally brought our boys Home from that one. :D ;)

soonerloyal
9/4/2009, 06:29 PM
Yeah. Because "Just Say No" is all you need, really. :cool:

SoonerKnight
9/4/2009, 06:32 PM
I was in 4th grade when they announced that we would get to watch the challenger take off! They didn't really show us live video after that. That was not a pleasant experience. Especially since on of the teachers was a finalist to go up in space and when the thing blew up she lost it because she really did become that close to being on the Challenger. Perhaps they should just tell the parents that they can pick the kids up early on their dime or otherwise STFU. Just saying! Teachers spend more time with the kids than some parents.

sooneron
9/4/2009, 08:36 PM
I think it's awesome parents are now telling their kids to stick their fingers in their ears and say,"nah, nah nah nah nah!!!!"
We have come so far...

srsly awesomeness!

delhalew
9/4/2009, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=soonerloyal;

Ronald Reagan, to the nation's classrooms, via the teevee machine, in 1988: "Taxes can be such a penalty on people that there's no incentive for them to prosper and to earn more and so forth because they have to give so much to the government." Was Reagan indoctrinating the children with his political philosophy? But that was okay...it was Ronny, and he was GOP.

*burp*[/QUOTE]

Now that makes sense! :P

delhalew
9/4/2009, 09:48 PM
I was in 4th grade when they announced that we would get to watch the challenger take off! They didn't really show us live video after that.

That's a big ten-four buddy!

badger
9/4/2009, 09:49 PM
I had a teacher who was a "finalist" for that too... it was a big drawing that a bunch of science-like teachers entered and they chose one.

I'm not sure why your teacher got so hyped up over that... she was a long ways away from being an astronaut.

JohnnyMack
9/4/2009, 09:56 PM
I listened to the challenger on a little hand held radio that another student had snuck into class. 5th grade I believe it was. We both looked at each other and then ran and told the teacher.

delhalew
9/4/2009, 09:57 PM
Em, but she could of got blown the F up just the same...sorry drunk posting is a beeatch.

Pricetag
9/5/2009, 12:36 AM
From the outcry over this, you'd think some people are convinced that President Obama is going to pull off his mask to reveal that he was Osama bin Laden all along and tell the kids to act all anti-American or something.

Let the president tell the kiddos to work hard and make something of themselves. It's exactly what we want kids to hear and what we probably would tell them if given the same opportunity.
This is exactly what he's going to say, but only because the outcry caused him to change his plans at zero hour. This way, they don't have to admit how silly they were when their fears don't come to pass.

It is ridiculous the lengths that people will go to to satisfy their cynicism.

Frozen Sooner
9/5/2009, 12:42 AM
Anyone reacting to that in a negative way really misses out on just how effective the President can be on Kids lives. Whether you like the guy or not, agree with him or not...I think the message that he conveys of "Anyone can grow up to be President of the United States of America" is as good a case as could be made in our Nations history.

Anyone. EVEN SOMEONE WHO'S NOT A CITIZEN!!!!!

;)

GrapevineSooner
9/5/2009, 09:46 AM
The only aspect of all this that I'd raise an objection to would be the part in the letter that was sent by the Department of Education encouraging teachers to give students a homework assignment on what they can do to help the President (which I know was taken out).

Otherwise, I have no problems with it. As it stands, his speech is going to occur when my daughter goes to lunch anyway. :)

And even if it were moved, or recorded and shown at a later time, I'm positive my daughter would come away from the speech without being indoctrinated by it.

As for the middle school/high school kids, the only ones who will be interested in this will be those who already have an expressed interest in politics. The others, as Tim Cowlishaw noted yesterday in his column on the topic, will be either laying their heads down on their desks or they'll be doing their nails.

This whole controvershamatravmockery is a mountain of stupid being made from a molehill.

Or somesuch. ;)

Leroy Lizard
9/5/2009, 12:14 PM
The only aspect of all this that I'd raise an objection to would be the part in the letter that was sent by the Department of Education encouraging teachers to give students a homework assignment on what they can do to help the President (which I know was taken out).

Exactly! They don't just make up these questions at the top of their head. The fact that the phrase "to help the President" appeared in the activity was no accident. They would have gotten away with it, too, if people hadn't seen through the facade.

How about this one, for PK-6th grade:

Teachers can build background knowledge about the President of the United States and his speech by reading books about presidents and Barack Obama.

Why on Earth, if this speech is do nothing more than inspire children to work harder, are they being asked to read up more on Barack Obama (the Great Master Teacher)?

Why is it important that we listen to the president [sic] and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important

So much for critical thinking.

Are we able to do what President Obama is asking of us?

The question should be, "If the President is asking me to do something, first, should I do it?"

What resonated with you from Obama's speech?

In other words, "why is Obama such a great speaker?"

There was another activity in which students were asked to write how the President "inspired" them. Couple that with the activities asking students to blow up quotes of the President's speech to hang in the classroom, and you have an almost Stalinesque persona. If you are in a world history class, read up on "Cult of Personality" and note the similarities. World History teachers are supposed to be on the watch for this kind of crap.

Now, if the President wanted to handle this properly, he should have made a videotape of his speech, made it available for public screening (and giving at least more than a few days to screen it) and made it available for download. But orchestrating a mass audience of schoolchildren to hear the "Great Master Teacher" instruct them how to better their lives is right out of Totalitarian Handbook.

This speech has caused nothing but problems, and it is irresponsible of the President to not take this into account. If he didn't see the backlash coming and all the trouble it was going to cause, then he's dumber than I thought.

Scott D
9/5/2009, 02:09 PM
I think he's proven to have surrounded himself with not the best and brightest. But then again, neither has any other President prior to this.

KC//CRIMSON
9/5/2009, 02:36 PM
KC when did you start posting under this name?

You need to visit your geriatrician and have him up your dose.

soonerloyal
9/7/2009, 08:59 PM
Why do you think continually coming up with different ways to say Republicans are stupid is witty?

Not witty; just God's honest truth. It's not flattering, but - there ya are, dude.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/8/2009, 09:29 PM
I gave my SIL a copy of this letter. Well, I just found out none of the 5th grade classes at my niece's school watched the President's speech today. My SIL had asked that she be allowed to go to another class to watch it and the Principal said that would be "disruptive to the other students." Shouldn't parental rights go both ways?

delhalew
9/8/2009, 10:24 PM
I gave my SIL a copy of this letter. Well, I just found out none of the 5th grade classes at my niece's school watched the President's speech today. My SIL had asked that she be allowed to go to another class to watch it and the Principal said that would be "disruptive to the other students." Shouldn't parental rights go both ways?

Definitely, she should be able to find it so she can watch it. It was on CSPAN.

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 10:26 PM
Not witty; just God's honest truth. It's not flattering, but - there ya are, dude.

Cindy Sheehan...what's up? You been outta the news lately. Glad to see you're still a hater. ;)

MacPhatDaddy
9/8/2009, 10:37 PM
I agree, they should show this. He is The President for Christ's Sake.

But I think the outrage over this is showing just how angry people are getting now.

I think a lot of Republicans feel that he is President despite Christ's sake. Har Har.

From my point of view I'd rather my kids learn academics in school. The good old Three Rs as it were. I can teach personal responsibility et al. on my own. I may be in the minority with this opinion but kids really don't care what Obama has to say about anything. This type of thing is appropriate for a Civics or Political Science class for high schoolers but I don't think middle schoolers and elementary school kids will pay attention (unless the message is delivered via Wii or X Box)

Boarder
9/8/2009, 11:34 PM
Seems like I remember the first day of High School where the principal gave us the orientation speech during an assembly. He said stuff like "don't wear a t-shirt that says Jack Daniel's kicks a**" and "no PDA". He also told us the importance of working hard and staying in school to succeed. No parents complained that I know of.

Now, imagine the mayor would have taken time to come give us the same speech. We would have paid more attention. What about if the governor did it? A congressman? Now, if the President bothered to give that speech the amount of attention paid would have been much more. Assuming for a minute there was not the ridiculous public outcry of today. How people failed to realize this is just beyond me. TUBA GETS IT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 11:38 PM
Seems like I remember the first day of High School where the principal gave us the orientation speech during an assembly. He said stuff like "don't wear a t-shirt that says Jack Daniel's kicks a**" and "no PDA". He also told us the importance of working hard and staying in school to succeed. No parents complained that I know of.

Now, imagine the mayor would have taken time to come give us the same speech. We would have paid more attention. What about if the governor did it? A congressman? Now, if the President bothered to give that speech the amount of attention paid would have been much more. Assuming for a minute there was not the ridiculous public outcry of today. How people failed to realize this is just beyond me. TUBA GETS IT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

I would agree if the POTUS was delivering the speech in person. Just showing it on the TV, meh...

Boarder
9/8/2009, 11:40 PM
I wonder how many parents kept thier kids from attending the assembly at the Virginia High School.

LosAngelesSooner
9/9/2009, 12:56 AM
The question should be, "If the President is asking me to do something, first, should I do it?"
Try that in the military and see how far it gets ya. :pop:

Petro-Sooner
9/9/2009, 12:58 AM
Trust the antichrist? I dont think so. Let him burn.

KABOOKIE
9/9/2009, 06:42 AM
Try that in the military and see how far it gets ya. :pop:

Not very far. Fortunately for American, military protocol isn't forced upon it's citizens.

Sooner24
9/9/2009, 09:17 PM
Not very far. Fortunately for American, military protocol isn't forced upon it's citizens yet.

I fixed it for you. :eek:

Sooner24
9/9/2009, 09:24 PM

No PDA?

I figured when you were in school they would have said

no...........http://www.motorola.com/mot/image/7/7474_MotImage.jpg

Boarder
9/9/2009, 09:49 PM
They didn't have those fancy schmancy things when I was in High School. That's what CB radios were for.

Sooner24
9/9/2009, 09:50 PM
That's a big 10-4 good buddy.

Boarder
9/9/2009, 09:52 PM
Catch you on the flip flop

rainiersooner
9/10/2009, 12:35 AM
I was in 4th grade when they announced that we would get to watch the challenger take off! They didn't really show us live video after that. That was not a pleasant experience. Especially since on of the teachers was a finalist to go up in space and when the thing blew up she lost it because she really did become that close to being on the Challenger. Perhaps they should just tell the parents that they can pick the kids up early on their dime or otherwise STFU. Just saying! Teachers spend more time with the kids than some parents.

I was in 5th grade for that. I remember it as one of the first truly uncomfortable experiences of my young life. The adults didn't know what to say. So they said nothing for a long time...and us kids just started talking. It was like Lord of the Flies.