PDA

View Full Version : Obamacare Supporter Bites Off Finger Of Protester

The Remnant
9/3/2009, 01:44 PM
LA Times online edition

Authorities are searching for a healthcare reform activist today who they said bit off the finger of a 65-year-old counter-demonstrator during a fight at a MoveOn.org rally in Thousand Oaks.

“It all started with their difference in philosophy over healthcare reform,” said Senior Deputy Eric Buschow of the Ventura County Sheriff’s Department.

The incident occurred about 7 p.m. Wednesday at a “We Can’t Afford to Wait Vigil” organized by affiliates of the activist group MoveOn.org, which drew supporters of President Obama’s healthcare plan, Buschow said. The rally also attracted several counter-protesters, he said.

During the rally at Lynn Road and Hillcrest Drive, near the Oaks Mall, the two men got into a heated argument and began fighting.

“At which point, one man bit off the left pinky of the other,” Buschow said.

The injured demonstrator then drove himself to Los Robles Hospital and Medical Center about a mile away, he said.

Ilyse Hogue, director of political advocacy and communications for MoveOn.org, called the incident “a regrettable act of violence” in a statement released this morning.

“While we do not have any more facts about what happened than what we saw in press accounts, MoveOn condemns violence in all forms,” Hogue said. “We support the Ventura County sheriff’s investigation into the situation. It is in our firm hope that this event does not detract from the tens of thousands who were out peacefully making their voices heard for health care reform and a public option.”

Authorities said they are looking for a white male in his late 40s or 50s who was last seen wearing black shorts and a black shirt.

“We’re still trying to figure out who was the aggressor,” Buschow said.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Ventura Sheriff’s Department at (805) 494-8201.

-- Ruben Vives

OklahomaTuba
9/3/2009, 01:47 PM
I blame Rush Limbaugh and the right-wing hate machine.

The Remnant
9/3/2009, 01:58 PM
This is an unverified version of the incident.

The Obamacare supporter, who was on the side of the street with other supporters, came across the street toward the anti-Obamacare crowd and singled out an elderly man and proceded to "get in his face" about his views. The Obamacare supporter then pulled the old man out into the street, unprovoked I might add, and then bit the old guys finger off while the old guy was just trying to get away. The old man then shuffled off toward a hospital.

The person giving this account,"Scott", then went out into the street and found the old man's finger. He and some others called 911 and the dispatcher gave them the location to the nearest hospital which she said would be thier best bet for finding the man. They rushed over and were able to find the old man and provide him with his finger. Scott then went back to the scene to wait for police. He gave the police the entire account and they tried to find the attacker amongst the Obamacare supports, but he had fled by then.

Gresho Murford
9/3/2009, 02:05 PM
http://www.mouthpiecesports.com/media/images/contacts/8025/image/teeth-mike-tyson-400a071807.jpg

JohnnyMack
9/3/2009, 02:37 PM
You cut and pasted this verbatim from Drudge.

God forbid you have your own, unique thoughts.

85Sooner
9/3/2009, 03:03 PM
Lucky it was in California. In Texas there would be a shot dead obamacare supporter bleeding profusely from a gunshot wound.

OklahomaTuba
9/3/2009, 03:23 PM
You cut and pasted this verbatim from Drudge.

God forbid you have your own, unique thoughts.So people are now supposed to do their own reporting???

The Remnant
9/3/2009, 03:34 PM
Actually it came from the LA Times. Perish the thought.

The Remnant
9/3/2009, 03:35 PM
So Johnny Mack was on the Drudge Report?

Pricetag
9/3/2009, 03:37 PM
This is an unverified version of the incident.

The Obamacare supporter, who was on the side of the street with other supporters, came across the street toward the anti-Obamacare crowd and singled out an elderly man and proceded to "get in his face" about his views. The Obamacare supporter then pulled the old man out into the street, unprovoked I might add, and then bit the old guys finger off while the old guy was just trying to get away. The old man then shuffled off toward a hospital.

The person giving this account,"Scott", then went out into the street and found the old man's finger. He and some others called 911 and the dispatcher gave them the location to the nearest hospital which she said would be thier best bet for finding the man. They rushed over and were able to find the old man and provide him with his finger. Scott then went back to the scene to wait for police. He gave the police the entire account and they tried to find the attacker amongst the Obamacare supports, but he had fled by then.
I think "Scott" is some kind of college professor, so that gives him a lot more credibility.

JohnnyMack
9/3/2009, 03:45 PM
So Johnny Mack was on the Drudge Report?

Yes. So were you.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1636/drudge.jpg

SicEmBaylor
9/3/2009, 03:53 PM
You have a **** load of tasks running.

Personally, I'm a minimalist. I try to keep as few things running in the background as possible, and I keep my desktop totally clean.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/Capture1.jpg

JohnnyMack
9/3/2009, 04:02 PM
I work for a living. What is it you do?

;)

The Remnant
9/3/2009, 04:02 PM
Nothing worse than an atheist ****** bag who isn't getting any.

The Remnant
9/3/2009, 04:04 PM
Nothing to look forward to.

JohnnyMack
9/3/2009, 04:05 PM
Jesus would be so proud of you.

The Remnant
9/3/2009, 04:18 PM
So would your Mama.

SicEmBaylor
9/3/2009, 04:23 PM
I work for a living. What is it you do?

;)

Touche.

swardboy
9/3/2009, 04:29 PM
Geesh jm, don't you realize that all Drudge is, is a compilation of reports from sources as diverse as Huffington to Breitbart. You can complain all you want about Drudge's selectivity, but there is no original "Drudge" source.

JohnnyMack
9/3/2009, 04:33 PM
Geesh jm, don't you realize that all Drudge is, is a compilation of reports from sources as diverse as Huffington to Breitbart. You can complain all you want about Drudge's selectivity, but there is no original "Drudge" source.

I know that. My point was that I can go to Drudge's site on my own, I don't need some unoriginal poster copying and pasting that site's info. here.

swardboy
9/3/2009, 04:43 PM
Countless threads are started here by someone finding a story on the internet....and woe to him/her if there's no linky!!! :mad: And worse yet if it's not pasted here for lazy readers:D

JohnnyMack
9/3/2009, 04:50 PM
I expect some effort at an original or somewhat witty thread title though.

delhalew
9/3/2009, 05:01 PM
Why the hell are we discussing the drudge report, instead of the real story?

I suppose the moral of the story is don't feed the animals.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/3/2009, 05:24 PM
So people are now supposed to do their own reporting???LMAO, too....how thilly!

LosAngelesSooner
9/3/2009, 05:33 PM
So would your Mama.
"Yo Momma" smack? Really? What, are you six? :rolleyes:

LosAngelesSooner
9/3/2009, 05:34 PM
Back on topic...I hope the guy who lost his finger DOESN'T have health care.

delhalew
9/3/2009, 06:04 PM
He's an older gentleman covered by medicare.

LosAngelesSooner
9/3/2009, 06:07 PM
Damn. Sucks for him. There's no way he'll get treatment for his injury since he's on government sponsored socialized health care.

soonerinabilene
9/3/2009, 06:15 PM

meh. if he has a good lawyer, the biter will pay for it and his emotional damages.

LosAngelesSooner
9/3/2009, 06:33 PM
Personally I think we could use a bit of "lawyer reform" next.

delhalew
9/3/2009, 06:37 PM
Damn. Sucks for him. There's no way he'll get treatment for his injury since he's on government sponsored socialized health care.

I don't think he'll have a problem getting a finger sown back on. Of course, we still get eat all fraud involved with medicare, but this guy gets help.

But, that's not the point of this thread...Is it?

jneworld
9/3/2009, 07:03 PM

Like everyone else who doesn't pay for it, the only way he could not have "health care" is if he bleeds to death before he can get to an emergency room or has to wait in line for 20 hours behind 50 people with bad coughs.

LosAngelesSooner
9/3/2009, 07:21 PM
Yeeeah...you really believe that's how the system works, don't ya? :rolleyes:

Scott D
9/3/2009, 08:42 PM
apparently Cannibals want health care as well.

Veritas
9/3/2009, 09:12 PM
I really wish people would actually read the bill, or at least the parts they object to before they spout off based on what Hannity/Olberman/Rush/Maddow told them.

Frozen Sooner
9/3/2009, 09:17 PM
Dude. Informed opinion is passe. While I don't like your opinions, at least you bother to research them now and then.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/3/2009, 09:32 PM
I always listen to my gut, facts are for lesser mortals

jneworld
9/3/2009, 10:17 PM
Yeeeah...you really believe that's how the system works, don't ya?

I've been in an emergency room lately, I KNOW that's how the system works.
Do you really bellieve that hospitals are denying people emergency health care?

LosAngelesSooner
9/3/2009, 11:00 PM
Do you really bellieve that hospitals are denying people emergency health care?Let's talk about how much it COSTS those people who make emergency room visits to treat basic needs...

delhalew
9/3/2009, 11:05 PM
Because emergency medical care should never approach the price of a honda civic.

If half of my brains end up on the pavement and an ER saves my life. I'll spend the rest of that life paying it off. I'll also still be ALIVE.

LosAngelesSooner
9/3/2009, 11:34 PM
Great logic.

You should be a master debater.

jneworld
9/3/2009, 11:48 PM
Let's talk about how much it COSTS those people who make emergency room visits to treat basic needs...

Let's finish up on the original point first: does anyone really not have emergency health care available to them?

Frozen Sooner
9/4/2009, 01:27 AM
Do you really bellieve that hospitals are denying people emergency health care?

Do all life-threatening conditions present as emergencies?

I'm sure the guy who has metastatized colon cancer really appreciates the care he gets at the ER. I'll bet he'd have appreciated it more if he could have gotten diagnosed back when the colon cancer was operable.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/4/2009, 01:30 AM
Did anyone see the Obamacare Supporter punch that guy at the townhall meeting in Boise tonight...despicable

JohnnyMack
9/4/2009, 09:10 AM
Do all life-threatening conditions present as emergencies?

I'm sure the guy who has metastatized colon cancer really appreciates the care he gets at the ER. I'll bet he'd have appreciated it more if he could have gotten diagnosed back when the colon cancer was operable.

Did this guy enjoy a sedentary lifestyle filled with trips to Dunkin Donuts and Burger King?

Frozen Sooner
9/4/2009, 09:19 AM
Did this guy enjoy a sedentary lifestyle filled with trips to Dunkin Donuts and Burger King?

Let's say for the sake of argument that his diet was extremely healthy with the exception of the occasional finger.

SoonerKnight
9/4/2009, 11:13 PM
I thought it was antiobamacare guy bites pinky off of obamacare supporter after obamacare supporter punch the guy! That is crazy!

SoonerKnight
9/4/2009, 11:46 PM
never mind....

LOS ANGELES — One man bit off part of another man's pinky finger when a health care reform demonstration turned violent.

William Rice, 65, said he was driving by, saw the Southern California rally and stopped to "ask people what their purpose was."

About 100 demonstrators in favor of health care reform had gathered Wednesday night on a street corner for an event organized by MoveOn.org. About 25 counterdemonstrators gathered across the street. Rice declined to say Thursday which side of the debate he falls on.

Ventura County sheriff's spokesman Eric Buschow said a confrontation erupted after the biter crossed from the MoveOn.org. side of the street to the counterprotest, where Rice was standing.

A loud scuffle ensued, punches were thrown, and the tip of Rice's finger was bitten off, Buschow said.

The biter fled before authorities arrived. A hospital spokeswoman said Rice's treatment was covered by Medicare. The Associated Press

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_13266309

StoopTroup
9/5/2009, 07:26 AM
A hospital spokeswoman said Rice's treatment was covered by Medicare. The Associated Press

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_13266309

That's really the most important part of the story....lol

mikeelikee
9/7/2009, 11:53 PM
I just don't understand how this could happen. Everybody on the left is always talking about "tolerance", and "stop the hate". WTF??

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 11:56 PM
I just don't understand how this could happen. Everybody on the left is always talking about "tolerance", and "stop the hate". WTF??

Easy to explain: they want those on the right to be more tolerant and less hateful. ;)

proud gonzo
9/8/2009, 08:05 PM
I'm calling BS. I think it's a lot harder to bite of a finger than people think. unless you're a shark or something.

delhalew
9/8/2009, 08:15 PM
Not really. Go do some hard living. I've seen it, and it ain't pretty. I've also seen a person get their nose bit off. That's even easier.