PDA

View Full Version : Jim Brown says AD = NFL's best. LT not happy

sooner518
9/3/2009, 08:00 AM
http://newsok.com/nfl-notebook-brad-childress-adrian-peterson-is-the-best-player-in-the-nfl/article/3397723?custom_click=headlines_widget

In the debate over who is the best running back in the NFL, Vikings coach Brad Childress is agreeing with Jim Brown, not LaDainian Tomlinson.
Featured Gallery

Advertisement

Childress came to Adrian Peterson’s defense Wednesday after Tomlinson took a few shots at Peterson in a recent Los Angeles Times story.

When asked about it at practice Wednesday, an unusually emphatic Childress said he’s seen the former Oklahoma star improve "by leaps and bounds” in all phases of the game since he entered the league in 2007.

"LaDainian is a hell of a back and he’s entitled to his opinion,” Childress said. "I’m going to tell you, my guy is the best football player in the National Football League and he’s the best running back in the National Football League, and I believe that.”

For years, the San Diego Chargers’ Tomlinson was considered the best back in the NFL.

"Jim Brown was telling Peterson he’s the best runner he’d seen in a long time,” Tomlinson told The Times. "I was sitting there reading it thinking, ‘Wow.’

"The difference with me is you can put me out on that field and there will be nothing I can’t do. I won’t have to come off the field. Adrian has to come off sometimes on third down. That’s what I pride myself on is not having any weaknesses. And that’s what makes me the best back.”

Peterson and Tomlinson are both from Texas, and Peterson simply shrugged off Tomlinson’s criticism.

"It really doesn’t matter,” Peterson said. "But it’s Jim Brown, so I can see why it would definitely touch a nerve.”

cant say Im the biggest LT fan in the world. Hes a good back, but he seems to get an abnormally large number of carries around the goal line to pad his TD stats.

badger
9/3/2009, 08:31 AM
For those of you that haven't read it - the article in question is from the cover story of the latest Sporting News. Read it here (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-08-03/sporting-news-conversation-jim-brown-interviews-adrian-peterson).

http://www.sportingnews.com/images/131983/article.jpeg
Jim Brown apparently personally requested SN to get him an interview with AD. AD went to Brown's house (and brought his dad of course) and they published an interview between the two of them as well as some pics (see above).

The running back position has gotta be the source of many frustrations of aging RB's -- you can be the greatest for a few years, then a younger, faster, more powerful back comes in the league and you're no longer the best. It's the NFL. It happens.

Oh, and AD > LT. If he doesn't like it, he can prove us wrong on the field instead of whining to the LA Times :D

Sooner04
9/3/2009, 08:58 AM
Peterson is better than Tomlinson now, but Adrian's got some work to do to be as good and as versatile as Tomlinson was in his prime.

Stout company to be sure.

adoniijahsooner
9/3/2009, 09:13 AM
Peterson is better than Tomlinson now, but he's Adrian's got some work to do to be as good and as versatile as Tomlinson was in his prime.

Why can't Peterson just play the game his way, and not LT's? gale Sayers went out and did what Gale could do, the same with Esmith, Barry Sanders, and every other runningback that was considered great. AD just needs to play his game, and pay no attention to LT's washed up cantankerous ***.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/3/2009, 09:14 AM
Peterson is better than Tomlinson now, but he's Adrian's got some work to do to be as good and as versatile as Tomlinson was in his prime.

True..and I would take Marshall Faulk in his prime over LT in his prime

picasso
9/3/2009, 09:16 AM
Did LT ever have a very good backup like AD does? There's a reason he has to share time.

JLEW1818
9/3/2009, 09:17 AM
LT has decreased performance every year since his big year

adoniijahsooner
9/3/2009, 09:18 AM
Did LT ever have a very good backup like AD does? There's a reason he has to share time.

LT's old Backup Turner almost led the league in rushing last year with the falcons. and Sproles is why LT was nearly let go.

badger
9/3/2009, 09:19 AM
The problem with AD in the backfield on third down is that teams expect the ball to go to AD and will stack the box. This happened a lot on AD's final OU year... up until the collarbone, of course.

So, I can totally understand them taking him out occasionally on those situations (Obligatory "Vikings suck!")

adoniijahsooner
9/3/2009, 09:21 AM
The problem with AD in the backfield on third down is that teams expect the ball to go to AD and will stack the box. This happened a lot on AD's final OU year... up until the collarbone, of course.

So, I can totally understand them taking him out occasionally on those situations (Obligatory "Vikings suck!")

UHH Badger, the Vikings lookin good; you have need to worry this year.

Partial Qualifier
9/3/2009, 09:29 AM
And that’s what makes me the best back.”

I wonder if Ladanian Tomlinson had any doubts about who was the best runner on 11/4/2007?

badger
9/3/2009, 09:30 AM
UHH Badger, the Vikings lookin good; you have need to worry this year.

Oh, I worried all right... worried about how many purple jerseys I'll see in a sea of Sooner crimson this year at home and away games :mad::mad::mad:

stoopified
9/3/2009, 09:53 AM
If JB says AD is the best,he IS the best and LT is S.O.L.(sh!t outta luck)

badger
9/3/2009, 10:03 AM
Not that I agree with Jim Brown (who is quite outspoken) on everything, but if there's one thing he knows about, it's running backs, and I doubt he would call AD the best if AD wasn't the best in his very, very strong opinion.

yermom
9/3/2009, 10:04 AM
I wonder if Ladanian Tomlinson had any doubts about who was the best runner on 11/4/2007?

pwn3d

starclassic tama
9/3/2009, 10:39 AM
yea i think LT just realizes he is over the hill and past his prime and his pride was hurt. notice LT is the only one saying LT is the best running back in the game. and he is right that while his game is more complete than AD's overall, you better believe give AD some time and he will be twice that and then some just to prove the world wrong.

LawtonBoy74
9/3/2009, 10:57 AM
All you really have to do is look at the numbers from last year

Adrian Peterson 2008
CAR
YDS
AVG
TDS

L.T. 2008 Stats
CAR
YDS
AVG
TDS

Gresho Murford
9/3/2009, 11:02 AM
LT's rushing YPC is only 4.4 for his career

LawtonBoy74
9/3/2009, 11:08 AM
which isnt bad at all

LawtonBoy74
9/3/2009, 11:09 AM
But A.D. is still better IMO "as of today"....If you ask me who would I want as my starting RB I'd definitely say AD

bluedogok
9/3/2009, 10:59 PM
The Chargers should have tried to deal Tomilnson in a "Herschel Walker type deal" and keep Turner. Tomlinson is past his prime, just the nature of the position.

sooner59
9/4/2009, 01:32 AM
Let LT ask all the GMs how they would take today if they had a choice and pretty much every team would take AD. LT was awesome in his prime and he is still really good, but he isn't a better running back today than AD. He knows that and he is in denial.

hgarmorer
9/4/2009, 06:33 AM
I don't remember the last time AD pouted on the bench with his helmet on and refused to go into the game.

StoopTroup
9/4/2009, 06:51 AM
Who got to the playoffs/Super Bowl? I believe LT was still playing the Steelers in January while AD was back in the weight room working out?

I'm not saying that AD isn't potentially the best in the NFL...I just think Brown is a bit pre-mature in stating something like that.

Had the Chargers won the Super Bowl last year, I'm betting Jim wouldn't have made that comment at all.

I say give AD 2 more years and he'll be able to thank Jim for the comment.

ashley
9/4/2009, 11:58 AM
Who got to the playoffs/Super Bowl? I believe LT was still playing the Steelers in January while AD was back in the weight room working out?

I'm not saying that AD isn't potentially the best in the NFL...I just think Brown is a bit pre-mature in stating something like that.

Had the Chargers won the Super Bowl last year, I'm betting Jim wouldn't have made that comment at all.

My heavens, please tell me who is better than AD now. If you say someone else then please don't go into the football business.

bluedogok
9/4/2009, 09:43 PM

I dislike the Chargers and Rivers...but the only reason why they Chargers were in the playoffs was because...
Rivers >>>>> Jackson/Ferrotte and whatever warm body that Childress threw out there.

His team was in the playoffs, he wasn't playing too much. Against Indy in the Wild Card game he was 5 for 25. His stats last season was 292 attempts for 1110, 3.8 avg and a long of 45 yards, he didn't play against Pittsburgh, Sproles was 22/105 in the Indy game. Put Tomlinson on the Vikings and see if he is sitting during the playoffs. They also wouldn't have been there if Denver hadn't imploded and the rest of the AFC West didn't suck so bad. Tomlinson is past his prime, any GM would be stupid to take him over Adrian at this point.

StoopTroup
9/4/2009, 09:48 PM
You can go with the only reason stuff but the truth is that they made it. After your there...it just doesn't matter. Ask the Raiders about that. They still have a bone to pick with the Patriots.

No. 6 – Oakland Raiders (13) @ New England Patriots (16), January 19, 2002

Temperature: 20 degrees (wind chill: N/A, but apparently cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey…no, I don’t get that either)

Memorable Moment: Unless you lived under a rock for the past 10 years, this is known as the “Tuck Game” and is mostly noted for the ill-fated call that eventually turned a Brady game-ending fumble into a mystifying game-tying field goal by Patriot kicker Adam Vinatieri. This is the game that got the Patriot dynasty off the launching pad and started to turn that Brady fellow into a star.

Wishboned
9/4/2009, 09:58 PM
Peterson and Tomlinson are both from Texas, and Peterson simply shrugged off Tomlinson’s criticism.

"It really doesn’t matter,” Peterson said. "But it’s Jim Brown, so I can see why it would definitely touch a nerve.”

I like that. AD will let his play on the field do the talking for him.

rainiersooner
9/4/2009, 11:46 PM
I think Jim Brown is a bit of a bitter curmodgeonly (sp?) ******* who kept trying to push AD into a corner on his social issues. I think AD shines positive radiance and could kick Jim Brown's *** - now or then. Just saying.