PDA

View Full Version : Any truth to the rumor of CU joining the Pac-10?

TheUnnamedSooner
9/2/2009, 04:17 PM
Seen this on a couple BYU boards about the Pac-10 expanding and taking either Colorado or Utah. Anyone else know of this?

Here is one of their topics...

http://www.cougarblue.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=74499#74499

My Opinion Matters
9/2/2009, 04:18 PM
There's been talk of this for at least two decades. Colorado isn't going anywhere, but would anyone really miss them if they did?

StoopTroup
9/2/2009, 04:21 PM
See ya Buffs!

That's about all I'd have to say if it was to happen.

Then try and get Arkansas or New Mexico to take their place...heck...I dare say Colorado St. for that matter.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/2/2009, 04:22 PM
not gonna happen

soonerinabilene
9/2/2009, 04:23 PM
and if it does, the big 12 should take in tcu with open arms.

StoopTroup
9/2/2009, 04:23 PM
Well....duh.

But we can dream. :D

StoopTroup
9/2/2009, 04:24 PM
and if it does, the big 12 should take in tcu with open arms.

I'd like to go on record...

NO MORE TEXAS TEAMS ! ! !

Sorry horntoads.

spacecadet
9/2/2009, 04:25 PM
Well Colorado can join the pac 10!

TheUnnamedSooner
9/2/2009, 04:25 PM
I would go for Arkansas or Iowa.

CobraKai
9/2/2009, 04:30 PM
Take TU before TCU. I agree that the balance of power does not need to shift even further south of the river.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/2/2009, 04:32 PM
BYU fans think they would replace CU in the Big 12 :D

badger
9/2/2009, 04:32 PM
Arkansas would be the logical choice - they could renew some SWC rivalries and never have to try to yell "SEC! SEC" ever again.

Also, I'm sick of them stealing Oklahoma talent.

As for Colorado leaving, they offer the Denver television market, so even though their fans are apathetic marshmallow pelters, there's still something they can offer there.

I think Pac 10 has some better options:

Hawaii (who doesn't wanna go to Hawaii every other year?)
Utah/BYU (they have big fanbases, offer some regional rivalry potential)
Boise State (because nobody is going to take them seriously, not even after the Fiesta Bowl fluke, until they go to a BCS conference)

SoonerPr8r
9/2/2009, 04:33 PM
I'm with StoopTroup on the no more tx teams sentiment.
Iowa would be a great pick. Hell what about ND?

silverwheels
9/2/2009, 04:52 PM
I think Pac 10 has some better options:

Hawaii (who doesn't wanna go to Hawaii every other year?)
Utah/BYU (they have big fanbases, offer some regional rivalry potential)
Boise State (because nobody is going to take them seriously, not even after the Fiesta Bowl fluke, until they go to a BCS conference)

The Pac-10 laughs at your suggestions. Or at least they have before, right in those schools' faces.

Colorado is no better a fit in the Pac-10 than they are here. The travel is the same or worse. Their hippy fans would fit in better out there, though.

Breadburner
9/2/2009, 04:56 PM
Plus one on the Razorbacks.....

TMcGee86
9/2/2009, 05:04 PM
No way Arkie would leave the SEC.

I would like to see TU join if CU bolted.

yermom
9/2/2009, 05:14 PM
Arkansas would be interesting. and TCU or TU would make a whole lot more sense than BYU

it would be weird losing an old Big 8 school though

OUHOMER
9/2/2009, 05:44 PM
If we took TCU, wouldnt that put osu in the north? :D

yermom
9/2/2009, 05:48 PM
that would then mess up a whole lot of scheduling, it could be interesting though

maybe we could play Nebraska every year again

w0lfe
9/2/2009, 06:05 PM
Maybe one day we will be good enough for the sec to send an invite to us. We can only dream :)

fadada1
9/2/2009, 06:12 PM
Hell what about ND?

while entertaining, nd would have a heck of time scheduling all their cupcakes (i.e., akron, toledo, army, navy, airforce, syracuse). they'd never win any conference games.

wait, that might actually work.

StoopTroup
9/2/2009, 06:13 PM
No way Arkie would leave the SEC.

I would like to see TU join if CU bolted.

I'm sure TU would like that too but TCU would be better...it's just that it's in texas though...I can't get by that. Wonder if they would move the School? :D

BoulderSooner79
9/2/2009, 06:14 PM
As for Colorado leaving, they offer the Denver television market, so even though their fans are apathetic marshmallow pelters, there's still something they can offer there.

My mom is a CU fan :mad:

GKeeper316
9/2/2009, 06:30 PM
hey we could finally have a reason to get rid of baylor, big 12 becomes the big 10, and the big ten (11) pick up notre dame and is now the big 12.

its been my opinion for years that we should kick baylor to the curb and pick up colo st (a state school like every big 12 school except baylor)

badger
9/2/2009, 06:49 PM
My mom is a CU fan :mad:

I'm not referring to your mom then :D

Then is, unless she is one of the ones pelting marshmallows at halftime? :D

Scott D
9/2/2009, 06:49 PM
I suppose if we wait a few weeks it'll switch from the every few years CU to Pac-10 rumor to the Texas to Pac-10 rumor.

SoonerEmpire
9/2/2009, 06:53 PM
I'd like to go on record...

NO MORE TEXAS TEAMS ! ! !

Sorry horntoads.

+1

swardboy
9/2/2009, 07:37 PM
hey we could finally have a reason to get rid of baylor, big 12 becomes the big 10, and the big ten (11) pick up notre dame and is now the big 12.

its been my opinion for years that we should kick baylor to the curb and pick up colo st (a state school like every big 12 school except baylor)

Ooooooo....prepare to suffer the wrath of SicEm.......:pop:

Crucifax Autumn
9/2/2009, 07:38 PM
If the Pac 10 takes anyone it should be BYU. Makes sense regionally for one thing and also BYU would be forced to play a tougher schedule and actually earn any praise or Bowls they get. Not that I think the Pac 10 is tough or anything.

GottaHavePride
9/2/2009, 07:55 PM
The Pac 10 can have Colorado, but only if they TAKE BAYLOR TOO.

Then we pick up Iowa and Arkansas to get back to 12, and the Big Televen becomes the Big 10 again.

sallisawsooner
9/2/2009, 09:29 PM
Illinois? Think of it.

btk108
9/2/2009, 09:37 PM
I'd help Colorado pack.....but wouldn't Arkansas be considered a Big 12 south team?

IslandSooner
9/2/2009, 09:50 PM
Raise her backs would be like having another Okie State. They are always thinking they are way better, than anybody else in the country sees them being. I quess kinda like a saxet also!!!!!!!

ouleaf
9/2/2009, 11:31 PM
Colorado leaving the Big 12 is a ridiculous plan. They at least have a chance to contend in the North Division, where as if they moved to the Pac-10 they'd be lucky to crack the top 4 ever.

yermom
9/3/2009, 12:10 AM

my understanding is that the conference gets some benefit because Baylor is private

SicEmBaylor
9/3/2009, 02:57 AM

So much idiocy and so little will to respond to it. What to do what to do...

pweitkem
9/3/2009, 10:09 AM
Colorado has far and away the worst fans in the Big XII. If they want to leave, I say good ridance. Let them go and bring TCU to the Big XII.

BillyBall
9/3/2009, 10:18 AM
I think there is more of a chance that if a team pulls out of the Big-12, it will be Missouri joining the Big 10. The Big 10 has spoken openly about wanting a 12th team and St Louis is a market that they covet.

BillyBall
9/3/2009, 10:21 AM

So should the Pac 10 kick Stanford to the curb, the Big 10 kick Northwestern to the curb, the ACC kick Miami, Duke and Boston College to the curb, the SEC kick Vandy to the curb?

Weak.

SoonerAtKU
9/3/2009, 10:32 AM
my understanding is that the conference gets some benefit because Baylor is private

Yup, the conference isn't required to make their records public, because they have a private member. This is one reason you'll find a private school in every major conference in sports. You ever wonder why Vanderbilt is still in the SEC after decades of being awful? It's not for academics, as that has zero to do with sports conferences.

Bosley
9/3/2009, 10:46 AM
I would go for Arkansas or Iowa.

That way there could actually be a "Big ten" with ten teams.

King Crimson
9/3/2009, 10:50 AM
So should the Pac 10 kick Stanford to the curb, the Big 10 kick Northwestern to the curb, the ACC kick Miami, Duke and Boston College to the curb, the SEC kick Vandy to the curb?

Weak.

outside Miami, all those other privates are much better schools than Baylor.

that said, i think Baylor represents well enough in the Big XII. the dump Baylor thing is vastly overstated. Colorado isn't going anywhere. they got a Pac-10 invite in 94 or 96 but i don't think they are that attractive to the Pac with a cellar dwelling hoops team that loses money and a football team that hasn't had a winning season in 3 years.

TMcGee86
9/3/2009, 11:04 AM
The Pac 10 can have Colorado, but only if they TAKE BAYLOR TOO.

Then we pick up Iowa and Arkansas to get back to 12, and the Big Televen becomes the Big 10 again.

That would be badass.

Lott's Bandana
9/3/2009, 11:30 AM
Drop Colorado, pick up Jenks...they recruit better anyway.

MI Sooner
9/3/2009, 11:34 AM
No one is leaving the Big 10 for the Big XII, and I really doubt anyone would leave the SEC for the Big XII. The TV money in the Big 10 and SEC dwarfs the Big XII, IIR.

The Big XII would need to set its sights lower, like TCU.

King Crimson
9/3/2009, 11:43 AM
No one is leaving the Big 10 for the Big XII, and I really doubt anyone would leave the SEC for the Big XII. The TV money in the Big 10 and SEC dwarfs the Big XII, IIR.

The Big XII would need to set its sights lower, like TCU.

TV deals and ESPN love are all about population density. the Big XII, from a Big 8 perspective, was a necessary evil. OKC, Omaha, KC, and the "who cares, we love the Broncos!" Denver market were not going to make a major conference in the new media age. not enough fannies in front of the TV per square mile. we needed that Houston and Dallas market.

it's straight political economy of media and who can sell ad money.

screw TCU, Baylor is a better school and has better overall athletics. TCU brings nothing to the Big XII. when Patterson leaves, they are 5-7 win MWC team again.

Statalyzer
9/3/2009, 11:50 AM
Inviting Arkansas would be about the only way to not have the quality of the average Big XII football fan improving by Colorado leaving the conference.

ouwapiti
9/3/2009, 12:13 PM
big 12 needs to jettison baylor and iowa state...arkansas would be a good addition...tcu..hmmmm, maybe......

silverwheels
9/3/2009, 12:22 PM
The Big 12 is fine the way it is.

beer4me
9/3/2009, 12:33 PM
Yea this had been6 talked about every year since Moby Dick was a minnow.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if the buffs picked up their toys and left.

yermom
9/3/2009, 12:49 PM
The Big 12 is fine the way it is.

it's certainly working out OK for OU :D

silverwheels
9/3/2009, 01:00 PM
it's certainly working out OK for OU :D

That too. :D