PDA

View Full Version : Jones, Ingram in NCAA limbo for Bama opener

JLEW1818
9/2/2009, 03:54 PM
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Only days before opening the season against No. 7 Virginia Tech, Alabama coach Nick Saban won't say whether he will play receiver Julio Jones and tailback Mark Ingram pending an NCAA ruling on their eligibility.

A university investigation concluded Jones and Ingram committed no violations by taking a Gulf Coast fishing trip paid for by Athens businessman Curtis Anderson. The university said Anderson was not an Alabama booster or fan; he described himself as a friend of the two players.

"I think that is up to the NCAA," Saban said Wednesday. "I don't think it's my decision to do anything. We are hoping for a response, and we want to do what we need to do to do things the right way, from a program standpoint and for the players' best interest."

The NCAA has not ruled on the players' status. Jones and Ingram have continued to practice this week with the first team in the lead-up to the fifth-ranked Crimson Tide's game against the Hokies in Atlanta (ABC, 8 p.m. ET).

The Tuscaloosa News reported last week that a member of Alabama's compliance staff had flown to Indianapolis to meet with NCAA enforcement representatives.

Jones was the AP's SEC Freshman of the Year last season and led the Tide with 58 catches for 924 yards. Ingram is the Tide's leading returning rusher after rushing for 728 yards and scoring 12 touchdowns as a freshman and is set to replace All-SEC tailback Glen Coffee.

"I think the institution has handled the situation with tremendous professional integrity and we're hopeful that we'll have some kind of resolution to this situation in the short term," Saban said.

He also said defensive end Brandon Deaderick probably won't play Saturday. Deaderick was shot in the arm during a robbery attempt. He was released from the hospital Tuesday night.

Information from The Associated Press and ESPN.com SEC blogger Chris Low was used in this report.

JLEW1818
9/2/2009, 03:54 PM
didn't see this posted, if so , merge..

wow if they don't play i might not call in my bet for this one

tommieharris91
9/2/2009, 03:59 PM
This is a lot worse than the Balogun thing if the NCAA drags their feet with this. You can easily give Bammer 2 more losses if Jones misses this whole season.

Frozen Sooner
9/2/2009, 04:05 PM
The whole thing is complete bull****.

They went fishing with a dude. Said dude isn't an Alabama alum. He doesn't go to games. He doesn't post on any message boards. He doesn't even pay attention to football. Said dude is also handicapped. Jones and Ingram offered to help him on to his fishing boat, and he offered to take them out fishing because they were so nice. Guy didn't even have any idea they were football players.

Of course, this is all according to the dude, so it may not be true, but jeez.

NormanPride
9/2/2009, 04:12 PM
It's obvious the players, the dude, the school, the fans, the message boards, and all the other people in the world are lying. The NCAA knows that these kids took ILLEGAL FISHING TRIP BENEFITS from this OBVIOUS ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE BOOSTER. They should be BANNED FROM EVER PLAYING and they should FEEL BAD for helping HANDICAPPED PEOPLE.

NormanPride
9/2/2009, 04:13 PM
;)

jkjsooner
9/2/2009, 04:18 PM
Deaderick was shot in the arm during a robbery attempt. He was released from the hospital Tuesday night.

That's a pretty poor choice of words. If I were Deaderick I'd ask for them to clarify that he was the victim of the robbery...

LawtonBoy74
9/2/2009, 04:30 PM
That's a pretty poor choice of words.

Lol, funny...Missing those guys will surely cause a loss for them against Va. Tech IMO

boomersooner28
9/2/2009, 05:09 PM
We would get the death penalty....just sayin. :(

CK Sooner
9/2/2009, 05:11 PM
Lol, funny...Missing those guys will surely cause a loss for them against Va. Tech IMO

Maybe, Virginia Tech always seems to blow it. I don't like Tyrod Taylor as a quarterback either.

JLEW1818
9/2/2009, 05:12 PM
he can't throw

CK Sooner
9/2/2009, 05:13 PM
he can't throw

Who is their running back?

JLEW1818
9/2/2009, 05:14 PM
their starter got hurt

CK Sooner
9/2/2009, 05:15 PM
their starter got hurt

I still think Alabama wins it with both of these guys gone.

JLEW1818
9/2/2009, 05:16 PM
yup, i just don't know about the spread... i will put my bet in Saturday morning

so we'll see

JLEW1818
9/2/2009, 08:14 PM
WR Jones, RB Ingram cleared to play for Alabama

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/12147882

Crucifax Autumn
9/2/2009, 08:16 PM
Good. I don't have to go edit my pick em choices.

CK Sooner
9/2/2009, 08:20 PM
WR Jones, RB Ingram cleared to play for Alabama

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/12147882

Again, time for that, but no time for Balogun.

Another big **** you for the NCAA.

Crucifax Autumn
9/2/2009, 08:22 PM
Again, time for that, but no time for Balogun.

Another big **** you for the NCAA.

No kidding. What's up with these asshats anyway?????

No time for SUC either.

CK Sooner
9/2/2009, 08:29 PM
No kidding. What's up with these asshats anyway?????

No time for SUC either.

The latest word is that the NCAA found a rival coach that would testify that he played past his 21st birthday and they are waiting for that, but Baloguns lawyer has about 10 sworn affadavits stating that he didn't.