PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice from Northern Texans

beer4me
9/2/2009, 12:31 PM
We were down in Arlington back in July and took in a strangers game.

On the drive down I35 just south of Gainesville was a 600 mile construction zone and it took us fooooreeeeeevvvvver to get through there.

My wife just sent me a email and said that she had heard there were 5 other spots now. Any truth to that? If so where are the construction spots that is gonna tie crap up?

Should I consider taking another route beside’s I-35?

fwsooner22
9/2/2009, 12:42 PM
Its not that bad if you drive in the early morning hours. Where are you coming from OKC ? If so there is no alternative route that makes sense.

SoonerAficionadOU
9/2/2009, 12:42 PM
In my years of driving between Norman and DFW I tried half a dozen alternative routes. None of them got me there any faster than had I just stuck to 35. All I can suggest is timing your departure for a low-traffic time.

beer4me
9/2/2009, 01:05 PM
Its not that bad if you drive in the early morning hours. Where are you coming from OKC ? If so there is no alternative route that makes sense.

Yes coming from OKC. We were gonna leave here about 0900.

In my years of driving between Norman and DFW I tried half a dozen alternative routes. None of them got me there any faster than had I just stuck to 35. All I can suggest is timing your departure for a low-traffic time.

Thought about if I had too jump off at Ardmore and go over to 75 and go south from there. Maybe I should consider bumping up departure time.

SoonerAficionadOU
9/2/2009, 01:11 PM
70 from Ardmore to Durant is sort of an awkward road, prone to construction itself. 75 down to Dallas is a great highway with no major construction on it last time I drove it (2 weeks ago). Still, from Ardmore to Durant will add nearly exactly an hour, and depending on where you're going in Dallas, 75 will drop you off on the east side, and taking 635 west is at best a dangerous route, and at worst a parking lot waiting to happen.

Jello Biafra
9/2/2009, 01:12 PM
just for shiits and giggles...make sure you drive west bound I-40 crosstown at around 7:30, get off at meridian and THEN head back east i-40 crosstown till you get to the I-35 south exit then drive till you see no more construction...then report back to us and let us know how many hours you spent in the vehicle.

beer4me
9/2/2009, 01:13 PM
70 from Ardmore to Durant is sort of an awkward road, prone to construction itself. 75 down to Dallas is a great highway with no major construction on it last time I drove it (2 weeks ago). Still, from Ardmore to Durant will add nearly exactly an hour, and depending on where you're going in Dallas, 75 will drop you off on the east side, and taking 635 west is at best a dangerous route, and at worst a parking lot waiting to happen.

True dat, did learn that lesson about the 635 in July. Actually traffic is faster in a parking lot :mad:

SoonerAficionadOU
9/2/2009, 01:17 PM
Actually, given the new tollway policy, if you do that, just chalk up the 2 bucks and take George Bush west. You don't have to wait in the tollbooth lanes anymore (you just drive through, they take a pic of your license plate and send you a bill), and it's been bumped up to 70mph. You'll hit some traffic at the Dallas North Tollway, but not much, and breeze on through to the west side.

beer4me
9/2/2009, 02:15 PM
just for shiits and giggles...make sure you drive west bound I-40 crosstown at around 7:30, get off at meridian and THEN head back east i-40 crosstown till you get to the I-35 south exit then drive till you see no more construction...then report back to us and let us know how many hours you spent in the vehicle.

:P

Sooner02
9/2/2009, 02:21 PM
You can get off at Gainesville and take highway 82 (4 lane) to Sherman, then south on 75 to Dallas.

TXBOOMER
9/2/2009, 02:23 PM
Just go down I-35. It will be way quicker than any of those alternates by a long shot.

Sooner02
9/2/2009, 02:28 PM
Why not take I35W if going to Arlington anyway?

Denton_Sooner
9/2/2009, 02:59 PM
Being from the area, your best bet is 35 South to 35 West (it splits W/E in Denton). Heading south on 35 West you have a couple options.. 114 or 820 will take you into Arlington. Hitting the border at 10:30 should put you into Arlington by 1:00 at the latest.. Good luck!

sooner518
9/2/2009, 03:51 PM
Being from the area, your best bet is 35 South to 35 West (it splits W/E in Denton). Heading south on 35 West you have a couple options.. 114 or 820 will take you into Arlington. Hitting the border at 10:30 should put you into Arlington by 1:00 at the latest.. Good luck!

staying away from Dallas seems like the best option to me. Go thru Fort Worth and either take I-35W all the way to I-30 or take 820 East and south til you hit I-30. 820 is prone to backups around 377 and Rufe Snow, but after that, it's usually pretty quick

TheUnnamedSooner
9/2/2009, 04:35 PM

There's major construction on 75 in McKinney that's been going on for about 4 months in two different places. At the intersection of HW 380 and at the intersection of HW 121.

bonkuba
9/2/2009, 05:14 PM
I drive down to Dallas from Ardmore usually twice a week. The construction is a non-factor right now.....at least for today. I believe the piece that was closing the lane, etc....is over.

Jdog
9/2/2009, 09:12 PM
If you're going to Fort Worth or Arlington take I35W. It's not as bad a the Giants and Jets playing in a different state - but Cowboy's Stadium in Tarrant County not Dallas county - Dallas, Plano, Richardson, Frisco is pretty far from Arlington.

SoonerAficionadOU
9/2/2009, 09:15 PM
There's major construction on 75 in McKinney that's been going on for about 4 months in two different places. At the intersection of HW 380 and at the intersection of HW 121.

Yeah, but it's still 2 lanes all the way through the construction. No closed lanes, they just force everyone to shift over a bit. I've never had a problem in either place so long as it wasn't right at 5:30.

THA RO SOONER
9/2/2009, 10:43 PM
For anyone staying east of dallas (yes it may seem far away but with less traffic it's not) you can take 35 to 380 to the dallas north tollway then south from there. They have recently opened the tollway up to 380 and theres not as much traffic as the "Parking Lot" of 35 at denton. It's been our route from Rowlett the last year for all the home games. A little longer route but with alot less ROADRAGE factor!

ouleaf
9/2/2009, 11:21 PM
staying away from Dallas seems like the best option to me. Go thru Fort Worth and either take I-35W all the way to I-30 or take 820 East and south til you hit I-30. 820 is prone to backups around 377 and Rufe Snow, but after that, it's usually pretty quick

Do this plus leaving earlier and you'll be in good shape.

insuranceman_22
9/3/2009, 01:17 AM

I live in Durant, the news said the Gainsville construction is done Monday (of this week). Depending on where you're going, here's an option. OKC to Gainesville, Tx on I35 - take 82 to Sherman, Tx (about 30 minutes) - and hit 75 South. No construction on 75 South from Sherman to Dallas & you can hit Dallas in 45 minutes...McKinney in about 20. He's right, you'll be on the East side, what's you destination?

beer4me
9/3/2009, 09:05 AM
I live in Durant, the news said the Gainsville construction is done Monday (of this week). Depending on where you're going, here's an option. OKC to Gainesville, Tx on I35 - take 82 to Sherman, Tx (about 30 minutes) - and hit 75 South. No construction on 75 South from Sherman to Dallas & you can hit Dallas in 45 minutes...McKinney in about 20. He's right, you'll be on the East side, what's you destination?

We are staying in Arlington not far from CS at the Howard Johnson on Copeland.

Lott's Bandana
9/3/2009, 09:36 AM
I drove down and back yesterday.

The worst construction is single-lane now, just south of Paul's Valley for about 6 miles.

The Arbuckles just got resurfaced and they were painting the stripes yesterday...shouldn't be a problem tomorrow.

Texass is resurfacing the road just across the RR bridge for about 2 miles but they may be finished by tomorrow.

Drove I-35E so don't know about I-35W.

adoniijahsooner
9/4/2009, 06:55 AM
This website is designed to give people the best directions to the stadium; just type in your zip code.

http://dallascowboysmaps.com/

illinisooner
9/4/2009, 09:46 AM
If you are familiar with the DFW area and you're like me, where you'd rather be moving instead of sitting in traffic, even though it won't take less time than if you'd just sat on the highway...get off the highway and take surface roads. I do this all the time when I go up to Chicago and occasionally when I visit friends in Dallas. For someone like me with uncontrollable road rage, sitting on the highway in a parking lot is not something that I'm interested in. But yeah your best bet is to realistically drive down at a low volume time...which for Saturday will probably be early morning.

Going down to OU/Texas, there seems to be no good time lol since all the students go down Thursday night and all of the alumni/other fans go down all day on Friday. The drive to Dallas for OU/TX is underrated, seeing other fans and their cars decked out in OU stuff, yelling "Boomer!" at random people, and talking trash with the random UT fans in gas stations. Also, seeing the buses go down on Friday afternoon elicits quite the horn honking/screaming response from everyone else on the road.

SoonerAficionadOU
9/4/2009, 11:33 AM
I live in Durant

Sweet, I'm going through there tonight on my way to Bennington, where all my family lives. If you've ever gone towards Hugo, Master Works (that big red building about halfway between Hugo and Durant) is our family business.

I Am Right
9/4/2009, 01:09 PM
What is wrong with I-35 E through Denton and south on 121 Through the DFW airport and then 360 to the stadium?