PDA

View Full Version : Keith Nichol not the starter..but will play

stoops the eternal pimp
9/2/2009, 10:00 AM
Michigan State has tabbed sophomore Kirk Cousins as its starting quarterback for Saturday's season opener against Montana State.

Head coach Mark Dantonio announced Cousins as the starter Tuesday but added that sophomore Keith Nichol, a transfer from Oklahoma who paced Cousins throughout the spring and summer, will play as well. Cousins served as Brian Hoyer's backup last season and completed 74.4 percent of his passes for 310 yards with two touchdowns and an interception.

"It was probably the most difficult decision I've had in reference to starting a particular player since I've been a head coach," Dantonio said. "They played very well, they show good leadership, they make plays on the field and they've had good camps and great springs.

"But in the end, it was Kirk's experience on the game field in Spartan Stadium, a little bit more game experience, more game management, that allowed him to get the nod."

Nichol sat out last season after transferring and last played in 2007, when he had seven pass attempts for Oklahoma. Both Cousins and Nichol put up the same statistics in Michigan State's spring game -- 357 pass yards, 4 touchdowns -- and Nichol seemed to have the statistical edge in several preseason scrimmages.

Dantonio said both quarterbacks handled the decision well. Nichol is also expected to play in the first half of Saturday's game, but both quarterbacks indicated to ESPN.com last week that the team wants to identify a clear starter by the time it visits Notre Dame on Sept. 19.

Last week, Cousins became just the second sophomore in Michigan State's 112-year history to be named a team captain, but his selection didn't play a major role in Dantonio's decision about the starter.

"We're not going to allow our players to just pick the quarterback," Dantonio said. "Kirk did an outstanding job in being named a captain as a redshirt sophomore. & We expect everybody to lead and there are certain positions, like quarterback, that the position of leadership goes with the territory."

Dantonio also tabbed redshirt freshman Caulton Ray as the team's starting running back. True freshmen Larry Caper and Edwin Baker are listed as co-backups on the team's depth chart.

CK Sooner
9/2/2009, 10:01 AM
I have a feeling that he would have never seen the field here. Good luck to him and hopefully he overtakes him eventually.

LawtonBoy74
9/2/2009, 10:03 AM
Kid should have stayed @ OU, ok maybe not he would have never seen the field this year.. only in mop up duty. I thought for sure he would have been the starter at MSU maybe he'll take the starting nod throughout the season

stoops the eternal pimp
9/2/2009, 10:06 AM
I get the feeling from all I heard in the offseason that he will probably be the guy by Notre Dame or the next week

badger
9/2/2009, 10:07 AM
Keith's problem here seemed to be that when he got into the game, he was way, WAY too excited to be in the game. His pass attempts were overthrown and he would sometimes make weird decisions which probably came from in-game jitters.

I wonder if he has the same problem in Spartyville. It's too bad, because I think he's extremely talented and thought for a second after watching him in spring practices (AWESOME deep balls and good running ability) that he would be our starter... this is why coaches get paid big bucks and I sit in the stands. :D

All Nichol needs to do is CALM DOWN. Once he settles, he will be every bit the quarterback that he recruited him to be and will shine for Michigan State. Go "Iceman!"

NormanPride
9/2/2009, 10:22 AM
Good luck Iceman!

JLEW1818
9/2/2009, 11:19 AM
at least he gets his school paid for..

Scott D
9/2/2009, 01:50 PM
Word here is that Nichol won the starting job but D'Antonio named Cousins the starter because the players voted Cousins a team captain.

Widescreen
9/2/2009, 01:52 PM
If that's true, Wow! So by implication, does that mean they expect Cousins to drop the ball so they can put Nichol in and avoid controversy?

BillyBall
9/2/2009, 01:54 PM
Word here is that Nichol won the starting job but D'Antonio named Cousins the starter because the players voted Cousins a team captain.

That's what I read in the Chicago Tribune yesterday morning. Cousins is the first sophomore to be named a captain so there was an element of pressure.

badger
9/2/2009, 02:00 PM
If that's true, Wow! So by implication, does that mean they expect Cousins to drop the ball so they can put Nichol in and avoid controversy?

The players might be trying to send Nichol a message - remember that he was from the state of Michigan and originally committed to Michigan State and was a highly-touted recruit... but then Heupel and Stoops came in and said he had the opportunity to complete to be the next starting quarterback for Oklahoma.

He probably did something that most players will not be able to get over right away. None of them were highly-touted recruits that got to play for a top program and complete for conference championships and potentially national titles (although I must say MSU has us beat in the 'mascot coolness' category)

Nichol still has to earn back the respect of the players he "shunned" a few years ago. I think he will, he just has to work hard and play well.

LawtonBoy74
9/2/2009, 02:05 PM
I wont read into that rumor, I think that the coaches wouldn't do something like that

swardboy
9/2/2009, 02:17 PM
If the players are trying to make a statement on their choice for QB.....then that's why they're Michigan St....a wannabe.

Scott D
9/2/2009, 02:46 PM
badger's speculation is just that, her speculation.

When I said Nichol 'won' the competition for the job, he barely beat out Cousins. The only conspiracy you can see from coaches to be honest is that they allowed the input of the players to be the final point that put Cousins in the starting role over Nichol.

Cousins wasn't voted a captain because Nichol chose Oklahoma over Michigan State 3 years ago, he was voted a captain because he does have some leadership ability.

Wishboned
9/2/2009, 03:43 PM
I hope that if Nichol gets the chance he makes the most of it.

Boomer.....
9/2/2009, 03:52 PM
I have a feeling that he would have never seen the field here. Good luck to him and hopefully he overtakes him eventually.

This.

badger
9/2/2009, 04:36 PM
badger's speculation is just that, her speculation.

it's true - i really don't care about michigan state unless they bust the bcs for us... which they probably won't because their ringer's gone.

w0lfe
9/2/2009, 05:53 PM
He will become the starter if they lose a game they shouldn't. The fans will pressure it

Jacie
9/2/2009, 07:01 PM
(although I must say MSU has us beat in the 'mascot coolness' category)

A Spartan with an over-sized head that looks more like a green Roman centurion is cooler than a covered wagon with two live ponies pulling it? Now if you mean the other Sooner mascots, I guess.

SoonerLB
9/2/2009, 08:56 PM
Keith Nichol leading the Spartans to a win over Notre Dame kinda has a nice ring to it, I would like to see that happen.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/3/2009, 12:55 AM
A Spartan with an over-sized head that looks more like a green Roman centurion is cooler than a covered wagon with two live ponies pulling it? Now if you mean the other Sooner mascots, I guess.Bane the Horsepigs, for godssakes!

Crucifax Autumn
9/3/2009, 01:58 AM
hell yeah!

badger
9/3/2009, 08:10 AM
A Spartan with an over-sized head that looks more like a green Roman centurion is cooler than a covered wagon with two live ponies pulling it? Now if you mean the other Sooner mascots, I guess.

Their costumed mascot is cool and that was the one I was referring to... nothing beats the live-action Schooner, but their "real" mascot isn't actually too shabby - a Terra Cotta statue designed in 1945 of a real Spartan.

Oh wait... isn't this thread supposed to be about Keith Nichol? Here's what he had to say about the coaches decision according to this article: (http://www.freep.com/article/20090903/SPORTS07/909030518/?imw=Y)

"I really felt that I had to surpass him completely to be named the guy to take the first snap... I don't think that was done really. I felt I was building up a lot of momentum through this fall camp, but I really didn't feel like I had established that first-string role yet.

Did I mention this guy is really, really awesome and I really, really wished we could have had some way of keeping him at OU? This guy really understands the concept of earning your spot and working hard and stuff. Oh, and he said more...

The tie is going to go to the guy who's been here longer... I think he's deserving of that. He's waited his turn, so that will be fun for him to get his name announced as a starter in that game.

From reading this, I think it's pretty clear that Keith expects to be the starter soon... and Big 10 crowds aren't a patient bunch, so after a few Michigan State losses (can anyone else hear "PUCKER PUCKER PUCKER!" echoing in their minds right about now?) there will be a lot of changes.

How soon will those losses come? Weeellll... not right away. I just checked their schej and like any powder puff Big 10 team that isn't playing the likes of USC or Texas in their non-conf every year, Michigan State opens against Montana freakin' State and continues it's cupcake run against Eastern Michigan.

Then, reality will set in against Notre Dame and likely another loss when they face Wisconsin (both of those games are on the road). To make matters worse, after those tough road games comes... MICHIGAN. AT. HOME.

Any predictions on when Keith will slip into the starting spot, given that schedule?

Scott D
9/3/2009, 11:11 AM
Wisconsin is god awful this year..just god awful. Northwestern would be a tougher game.

badger
9/3/2009, 11:22 AM
Wisconsin is god awful this year..just god awful. Northwestern would be a tougher game.

Wisconsin is a tough road game regardless of whether the team is really good or just barely a bowl bound team. I would compare it to us going to Stilly - the team we're facing sometimes is mediocre and mostly sucks, but the atmosphere alone makes the game tough.

So not venturing a guess as to when Keith will start then?

Scott D
9/3/2009, 11:29 AM
He won't unless Cousins screws up in a big way.