PDA

View Full Version : OU Medical Center better have it together

Veritas
9/2/2009, 09:39 AM
Just got a call that a guy I used to race motorcycles with had a stupid 16 year old twat pull out in front of him on his way back from the GP race at Indy. He broke a bunch of stuff and of course his bike is trashed. They had to chopper him up to OUMC. He's going to pull through, but he's pretty messed up.

Honestly, why the hell do we issue high school kids driver's licenses? Just last week a 16 year old girl down the street pulled on to the busy street by my house...right in front of a 17 year old kid in a Monte Carlo. He didn't even have time to think "holy ****." She's dead and now this poor boy has to deal with having been unfortunate enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

soonerhubs
9/2/2009, 09:43 AM
I agree Veritas. What's the hurry? Teenagers think so differently than most humans. Most have an invincibility mindset with a personal fable paradigm. I'd suggest having them wait a couple years before being able to operate such deadly vehicles.

Prayers and best wishes for your friend.

Veritas
9/2/2009, 09:48 AM
...invincibility mindset with a personal fable paradigm...
Lol, great phrasing.

stoopified
9/2/2009, 09:50 AM
I could be wrong but I'm thinking we were all highschool age drivers once.I can't speak for others but I know I had my share of close calls, and had friends injured in TEENAGE driving mishaps.I don't think it is any worse today than in my day(I graduated in 1978).

1890MilesToNorman
9/2/2009, 09:56 AM
We lost 7 kids to car accidents in my senior year of high school! 1978 as well.

Gresho Murford
9/2/2009, 09:58 AM
Im a little confused by the title of the thread (on reread I guess you were saying that OU med better be on top of their game b/c your friend is in need). I think that 16 is a good age b/c of convinience for all involved. They are in high school now can drive themselves to school. I say just make it harder to get a license.

Pricetag
9/2/2009, 10:02 AM
Teens are always going to do stupid stuff behind the wheel. Some of it is due to plain old lack of experience, and much of it is due to trying to impress other teenagers. I think my kids are definitely going to have a "no passenger/no riding" rule when they hit that age.

One thing that was not around when we were teenage drivers was personal portable communication devices. These are completely ingrained in today's teen culture, and are a distraction that they do not need considering their other impairments behind the wheel.

olevetonahill
9/2/2009, 10:04 AM
Ill be praying for him Bro.
One of the things Ive noticed is Parents WANT their Kids growing up fast
IE the 1 yr old girl with pierced ears and make up .

stoopified
9/2/2009, 10:05 AM
It has occurred to me that if there is a higher mortality rate now than in my day part ofthe reason may not be just the drivers but the cars.In the era of my high school years(1975-1978) we drove STEEL cars.They were big,gas guzzling,and HAD NO PLASTIC.Today cars are made of aluminum,lightweight composites and plastic.My 1969 Mercury Marquis was big and ugly but it was a TANK.

Collier11
9/2/2009, 10:27 AM
I think 16 or 17 is fine with more restrictions, they should also start taking away licences from Asian women on cell phones and adults over the age of 70 ;)

Jello Biafra
9/2/2009, 10:44 AM
can a mod say twat? ;)

and if so, can i say:

ginch
gash
dna dump
roast beef curtains
tuna boat

Collier11
9/2/2009, 10:46 AM
fuzz muffin?

yermom
9/2/2009, 11:04 AM
the problem isn't the plastic cars, it's the plastic cars when they run into SUVs or 70's STEEL cars ;)

i think kids should be driving at like 14 with a permit (with an adult) i don't think 6 months between 15.5 and 16 is really enough to impart enough experience to form good habits, judgement, etc...

also, the driving test is a joke.

sorry to hear about your friend Veritas. hope he's back in riding shape soon.

Animal Mother
9/2/2009, 01:10 PM
Teens are always going to do stupid stuff behind the wheel. Some of it is due to plain old lack of experience, and much of it is due to trying to impress other teenagers. I think my kids are definitely going to have a "no passenger/no riding" rule when they hit that age.

One thing that was not around when we were teenage drivers was personal portable communication devices. These are completely ingrained in today's teen culture, and are a distraction that they do not need considering their other impairments behind the wheel.

I hope your friend will recover Veritas. I have to go with the devices being a huge problem. Not just for teens. I see adults backing out of parking spaces while on the phone and I see them texting while driving all the time here in North Tejas. Then throw in eye balling your GPS, changing a CD or looking at your lap top or PDA and the chance to crash goes way up.

TFSooner
9/2/2009, 02:16 PM
I say just make it harder to get a license.

This. Teenagers can get their pilot's license, they just have to demonstrate an extreme amount of proficiency at it and have lots of stick time to do so. I say keep the age at 16, but make it much more difficult to get the license.

Oldnslo
9/2/2009, 02:19 PM
They do great work up there, V. My daughter has been in the care of Dr. Davey, and he's a champ.

Let me know if your friend needs a hand.

yermom
9/2/2009, 02:20 PM
Oldnslo... unless ambulance chasing is involved ;)

OUHOMER
9/2/2009, 02:43 PM
Prayers for your friend Veritas. I had a friend who should have lost his leg after being T-boned on his bike. OU Med fixed him up. they do good stuff.

On teenage drivers, A) they are more out there than when I graduated in 77. B) I had to pay for my car, so I was a little more careful, because if I crashed it , it stayed parked. Most kids I see Mommy and Daddy buy their car.C) No cellphone back in my day.

yermom
9/2/2009, 02:49 PM
i don't remember who said it, but the whole passenger/driving alone thing is something else as well. loading up a Tahoe with a bunch teens is just begging for trouble. although if there is more than one of them, maybe someone can be the designated texter :D

my dad was hit on his bike by a lady yelling at kids in her back seat in the 70's so it's not really a new thing. i pretty much assume people don't see me, or are trying to kill me on my bike most of the time

Collier11
9/2/2009, 02:55 PM
quit ridin yer bike in the road hippie!

;)

tator
9/2/2009, 03:04 PM
This may just be in Tulsa, or possibly the entire state, but 18 is the new age as of a few months ago. I know this because my nephew turned 16 a few days after the cutoff and is now not able to get his license until 18.

yermom
9/2/2009, 04:08 PM
quit ridin yer bike in the road hippie!

;)

today "bike" means "naked sport bike" :D

http://image.automotive.com/f/bikes/2007/9061536+pheader/146_0701_02_z+2007_united_motors_v2s_650+red.jpg

GottaHavePride
9/2/2009, 07:50 PM
also, the driving test is a joke.

In Kansas, if you take Driver's Ed, you don't even have to take the driving test. Hell, I didn't even have to take the written exam. I gave them my certificate of completion from Driver's Ed and they gave me a license.

With that said, I've never been in a wreck when I was driving.

Sooner24
9/2/2009, 11:17 PM
Did this happen in Kingston yesterday? If not the same thing happened there.

Sooner24
9/2/2009, 11:18 PM
I agree Veritas. What's the hurry? Teenagers think so differently than most humans. Most have an invincibility mindset with a personal fable paradigm. I'd suggest having them wait a couple years before being able to operate such deadly vehicles.

Prayers and best wishes for your friend.

My guess talking or texting was the cause of the accident.

Veritas
9/3/2009, 08:23 AM
Well, my buddy is OK. Thanks to any of you that prayed or showed concern. Looks like I'll be able continue supporting all things OU except on OU/NU game days. :D

soonerloyal
9/3/2009, 09:20 AM
Stupidity behind the wheel hits pretty much every age group, although college-age is pretty bad too. Just look at Sergio Kindle (although I'd bet good money he didn't pay for the car he drives, either - I mean parents, not boosters :rolleyes: ).

However, while it's true that up till the age of 21-22 the section of brain that controls decision-making is short-circuited at best - I know plenty of 18-year-olds leading squads of Marines, making excellent decisions under fierce conditions. So age isn't necessarily the main factor.

Prayers for the kiddo. (HUG) God bless.