meoveryouxinfinity
9/2/2009, 07:46 AM
http://cfn.scout.com/2/893843.html

Colty Wins it.

notables:

No Current Chance To Win It, But Has Finalist Potential
WR Dez Bryant, Jr. Oklahoma State
This Week: At home vs. Georgia.
Last Year: 87 catches, 1,480 yards, 19 touchdowns, 17 punt returns, 305 yards, two touchdowns, four kickoff returns, 100 yards.

Michael Crabtree wasn't in the Heisman hunt even with all of his big numbers, so what chance does Dez Bryant have? The Cowboy star should be the nation's best wide receiver and he'll have plenty of chances to shine on national TV with battles against Georgia, Texas, and Oklahoma to highlight an interesting schedule. If Bryant is the difference maker in wins over the top teams, and if he can come up with some big kick and punt returns, he could shoehorn his way into the top four in New York.

QB Todd Reesing, Sr. Kansas
This Week: At home vs. Northern Colorado.
Last Year: 329-of-495, 3,888 yards, 32 touchdowns, 13 interceptions, 126 carries, 224 yards, four touchdowns

Reesing didn't get much Heisman love two years ago when he threw for 33 touchdowns and seven interceptions in KU's breakthrough season, and while he threw for 32 scores last year, his season was seen as a bit of a disappointment. With Dezmon Briscoe and Kerry Meier back, Reesing has a great pair of receivers to throw to and he could flirt with the 40-touchdown pass mark.

QB Zac Robinson, Sr. Oklahoma State
Last Year: 204-of-314, 3,064 yards, 25 touchdowns, ten interceptions. 146 carries for 562 yards and eight touchdowns

The ringleader for one of the nation's top offenses, he'll have his chance to make a huge statement right away against Georgia and he could start to be talked about in the same breath as Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy. He'll have the stats, he'll run for plenty of yards, and he'll have some monster games, but it'll all come down to wins. If he's the star among the OSU stars, and if the Cowboys get to the Big 12 championship, he'll be a finalist.

On The Radar, But The World Is Looking For More
RB Kendall Hunter, Jr. Oklahoma State
Last Year: 241 carries for 1,555 yards and 16 touchdowns, 22 catches for 198 yards and a score

Very fast, very productive, and very dangerous, Hunter is a threat to run for 2,000 yards if he gets enough work. Oklahoma State will spread the ball around and will be up early and often against most teams, but he'll be a lock for 100 yards per game and he'll be the centerpiece of the ground game whenever Dez Bryant isn't making big plays.

The True Favorites

QB Sam Bradford, Jr. Oklahoma
This Week: BYU in Arlington
Last Year: 328-of-483, 4,720 yards, 50 touchdowns, eight interceptions, five rushing scores

Bradford put up ridiculous numbers as he led Oklahoma to a record-setting season, but are voters going to be interested in making him a two-time Heisman winner? If he does what he did last year, then yes. At the very least, he should be a finalist and he'll be in the spotlight all season long as a possible No. 1 overall draft pick if he chooses to come out after his junior season. He might have a new line in front of him and several new receivers, and he might spend a lot of his time handing off to Chris Brown and DeMarco Murray, but he'll have OU in the national championship chase all season long.

QB Terrelle Pryor, Soph. Ohio State
This Week: At home vs. Navy.
Last Year: 100-of-165, 1,311 yards, 12 touchdowns, four interceptions, 139 carries, 631 yards, six touchdowns

And now he can throw. Given the keys to the car as a true freshman, Pryor wasn't allowed to make too many risky throws and spent most of his time making big plays with his legs. He spent the off-season working on becoming a more polished passer, and while he won't be Sam Bradford right away, he'll be a far more dangerous all-around weapon. It's not a question of if, but when he becomes a superstar, and if he's able to lead the Buckeyes to a win over USC, he'll be on everyone's short list for the Heisman.

QB Tim Tebow, Sr. Florida
This Week: At home vs. Charleston Southern.
Last Year: 192-of-298, 2,746 yards, 30 touchdowns, four interceptions, 176 carries, 673 yards, 12 touchdowns

Are voters going to want to make him a two-time winner? If he does what he's supposed to do and he leads the loaded Gators to the BCS Championship game, then yes. He has the legendary reputation, he has the résumé, and he'll have the numbers to get the hardware. No, he won't be a rushing star like he was two years ago, but he'll plow his way for yards when he has to. The big question will be whether or not the passing numbers stay as efficient without Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy to work with.

And The Current Leader In The Clubhouse Is ...

QB Colt McCoy, Sr. Texas
This Week: At home vs. ULM.
Last Year: 332-of-433, 3,859 yards, 34 touchdowns, eight interceptions, 136 carries, 561 yards, 11 touchdowns

Going into the season, McCoy is the odds-on favorite mainly because it's his turn with Tim Tebow and Sam Bradford having already won the Award. Texas is also the benefit-of-the-doubt team going into the season after getting the short end of the stick in the Big 12 South and national title shakeout. He's a good guy who's a favorite of the media, he has carried the Longhorns with his legs as well as his arm, and he'll have every opportunity to be the leader in the race all season long if Texas keeps winning. Of course, if Sam Bradford and Oklahoma win the Red River Rivalry, the campaign will be over.

OUHOMER
9/2/2009, 07:49 AM
Dont give it to him yet, Lets watch a couple of games first.

primetime43
9/2/2009, 07:57 AM
Are we talking about the most outstanding player in that year or a Lifetime achievement award?

w0lfe
9/2/2009, 07:58 AM
Sadly enough, i dont think anyone can beat out Tebow, even though he is the least skilled of the 3

stoopified
9/2/2009, 08:00 AM
Bradford....end of discussion.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/2/2009, 08:12 AM
I kinda gotta crush on "TP". I won't even lie.

Collier11
9/2/2009, 08:17 AM
Sadly enough, i dont think anyone can beat out Tebow, even though he is the least skilled of the 3

Im not so sure, they have built him up so much and what does the media typically do to those they build up, they tear them back down. If he goes out and has another 40 TD season itll be really tough but if he throws 3 picks against LSU or plays horribly in the SEC title game they might turn on him, not likely but there is a chance :texan:

w0lfe
9/2/2009, 08:21 AM
Tebow could probably get caught sh*tting in public and the media would find something positive out of it. I can see them being like, "unbelievable Tebow led this team like he did against the College of Charleston without Percy and Murphy"

NOVSooner
9/2/2009, 08:29 AM
the thing i'm trying to understand is that from various outlets, media and heisman voters themselves have said, "well tebow has one, bradford has one, someone else should get it." one has said "if i like the guy personally then i'll give him my vote", etc. from this "logic" it's as if 1) they don't want a 2 time winner again and 2) performance isn't as much of a factor as it should be. i could be wrong but it seems already colt has they "sympathy" vote to put him in the front.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/2/2009, 08:33 AM
I think it should be a one time award.

Just my thought.

NOVSooner
9/2/2009, 08:41 AM

Just my thought.

is this conditional? all i mean is this: say Bradford does, overall, have a better year than last year, leads us undefeated, wins the big 12 again? does he not deserve it more based off performance, the player he's developed into even from last year and leading his team to this point? i know, tebow could go 8-4 and still be in new york but would bradford's performance not merit another heisman?

Collier11
9/2/2009, 08:46 AM

Just my thought.

Your opinion but it makes ZERO sense

Hot Rod
9/2/2009, 08:47 AM

Just my thought.

I think it be should too, especially after how people were all over Tebow last year. His dumb speech and fist pumping somehow made him a better player in some people's eyes. Sam deserved it last year and his numbers showed it. I wish the voters would let how the players play dictate the winner, not by how much you pump them up on the tube.

Sure, last year's 3 finalists are the favorites, but they haven't done anything yet to be noted. You never know who could spring up from another school and have an amazing game this weekend.

Collier11
9/2/2009, 08:50 AM
I think it be should too, especially after how people were all over Tebow last year. His dumb speech and fist pumping somehow made him a better player in some people's eyes. Sam deserved it last year and his numbers showed it. I wish the voters would let how the players play dictate the winner, not by how much you pump them up on the tube.

Sure, last year's 3 finalists are the favorites, but they haven't done anything yet to be noted. You never know who could spring up from another school and have an amazing game this weekend.

Ummm, Sam won it last year and Tebow got 3rd

fadada1
9/2/2009, 08:51 AM
fact of the matter is the media will give it to colt (and he was deserving last year - this year hasn't even started for f**k sake), or tebow - anointing him as the best human being on the planet.

while most of us are biased, i truly believe sam is the best QUARTERBACK in college. does that mean the best "NFL style" QB??? not necessarily. i think he's the best "field general". tebow has the masses following him. colt is probably a better "play maker" when combining arms and legs.

BUT, we simply need to stop talking about the heisman until sometime around halloween. let's see what happens before we give it to someone.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/2/2009, 08:52 AM
the Heisman trophy just doesn't mean as much as it used to IMO

Hot Rod
9/2/2009, 08:53 AM
BUT, we simply need to stop talking about the heisman until sometime around halloween. let's see what happens before we give it to someone.

Agree

SoonerLB
9/2/2009, 09:41 AM
Well, we KNOW Colt is going to lose at least ONE game, and if the curse works, the gaytors will lose 3 games, so ............. CONGRATS SAM! ;)

Widescreen
9/2/2009, 09:55 AM
Going into the season, McCoy is the odds-on favorite mainly because it's his turn with Tim Tebow and Sam Bradford having already won the Award.

"it's his turn" is a pretty poor criteria for naming a Heisman winner. When someone runs for President and loses but runs again, does the voting populace go "well, I'll vote for him because it's his turn"?

Collier11
9/2/2009, 10:00 AM

Thats what all the old folk say, I bet it still means alot to those who are winning ;)

In all seriousness though, how many times in the past did someone win who didnt deserve it, like say Archie Griffin, that fella from Army, etc...

All awards are political and always will be to an extent

adoniijahsooner
9/2/2009, 10:06 AM

I agree.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/2/2009, 10:15 AM
Your opinion but it makes ZERO sense

It's not like they don't already try to make sure nobody gets it twice...
Just go ahead and make it official.
Ex: Jason White. He had a better year (statistically) in 2004 than in 2003.

However, I'd LOVE to see Sam win another Heisman. And if anyone deserves 2, it's him.

Jello Biafra
9/2/2009, 10:18 AM
couldn't care less....

undefeated, come the first week in january, is all i care about.

Collier11
9/2/2009, 10:21 AM
It's not like they don't already try to make sure nobody gets it twice...
Just go ahead and make it official.
Ex: Jason White. He had a better year (statistically) in 2004 than in 2003.

However, I'd LOVE to see Sam win another Heisman. And if anyone deserves 2, it's him.

Honestly it should have been Fitzgerald in 03 and AD in 04 if they were really giving it to the best football player in the nation...IMHO

meoveryouxinfinity
9/2/2009, 10:30 AM
Honestly it should have been Fitzgerald in 03 and AD in 04 if they were really giving it to the best football player in the nation...IMHO

Ok, then probably Crabtree in 2008....

CK Sooner
9/2/2009, 10:32 AM
Ok, then probably Crabtree in 2008....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Collier11
9/2/2009, 10:33 AM
I dont think Crabtree was better than SB last yr, maybe his Frosh yr

meoveryouxinfinity
9/2/2009, 10:50 AM
I dont think Crabtree was better than SB last yr, maybe his Frosh yr

LOL I was just fighting fire with fire...

Collier11
9/2/2009, 10:56 AM
More like fighting fire with lettuce

;)

Cam
9/2/2009, 08:34 PM

I agree 100%.

Colt's going to get it based on sympathy from last year. UT'll have to lose 3-4 games for him not to get it IMO. That, or somebody else will have to have the best college year ever in all categories.