PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic to be played in prime time in January 2011

JLEW1818
9/1/2009, 07:30 PM
02:02 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 1, 2009

By BARRY HORN / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

The annual AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic game is headed to prime time in 2011. And not only will the game, which never has started later than 3:30 p.m., be played at night, it will be played later in January than ever before.

The 2011 Cotton Bowl will be played on Friday, Jan. 7, with kickoff sometime after 7 p.m. Moving to a night game and pushing the game back were negotiated in a four-year television contract extension with Fox that runs from 2011 to 2014. Fox has been the television home of the Cotton Bowl since 1999. The Cotton Bowl, set for its 74th edition in January, has never been played later than Jan. 2.

The remaining games in the new contract will be played Friday, Jan. 6, 2012; Friday Jan. 4, 2013; and Monday, Jan. 6, 2014.

Those four games, like the upcoming 2010 game, will be played at the new home of the Cotton Bowl – the domed Cowboys Stadium, where inclement winter weather would not be a deterrent to a night game, as it had been at the Cotton Bowl stadium in Dallas.

The 2010 game is scheduled for Jan. 2 at 1 p.m.

While only the 2011 game has been officially moved to prime time, it would seem that the 2012-14 games, whose kickoff times remain "to be determined," are naturals for prime-time play.

"We think the Cotton Bowl in prime time in January will be a winner," said Fox Sports senior producer Bill Brown. But he said it will be up to the network's sales division and entertainment group to decide the start times beyond 2011.

It was the sales group that initially suggested moving the game to prime time, Brown said. "They have always been bullish on the Cotton Bowl," he said.

All four Cotton Bowl games in the new contract have been scheduled between BCS bowl nights. The Cotton Bowl will be played after the Rose, Orange, Fiesta and Sugar bowls but before the Bowl Championship Series title game. Beginning next year, the five BCS games will be televised by cable's ESPN. That will leave the Cotton Bowl, which aspires to join the BCS, the only January game on prime-time broadcast network television.

ESPN is taking over the BCS from Fox, whose BCS contract expires after the 2010 games. The ESPN deal runs through January 2014.

"We are proud that Fox deems our game important enough to move its prime-time entertainment shows out for us," said Rick Baker, Cotton Bowl president.

The 2010 game also marks the final year of the Cotton Bowl's contract with sponsor AT&T, as well as with the Big 12, which sends its runner-up to the game, and the Southeastern Conference, which supplies one of its top teams as the opponent.

New agreements with AT&T and the conferences are expected to be announced shortly. The move from the early-January glut of games to an exclusive prime-time spot should whet the appetite of the Big 12 and SEC.

"We couldn't be happier to extend our relationship with the Cotton Bowl," said Brown, who has coordinated the network's BCS coverage. "I've worked with all the bowls except the Rose, and it is the best-run. Now it is moving into the finest stadium in the world. That will only enhance the coverage."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/090109dnspocottonbowl.32d2c70.html

JLEW1818
9/1/2009, 07:32 PM
Please replace the Fiesta Bowl, with the New Cowboy Stadium............

that is all

Petro-Sooner
9/1/2009, 07:38 PM
IMHO the bcs championship should be the last game of the season. meh

JLEW1818
9/1/2009, 07:40 PM
it still will be, but the Cotton Bowl will be played after the 4 BCS bowls

AlbqSooner
9/1/2009, 07:57 PM
Night game at the Cotton Bowl in January could be one cold mo fo.

PurcellSooner23
9/1/2009, 08:20 PM
Not with the roof closed in the new Cowboys stadium!

StoopTroup
9/1/2009, 08:25 PM
They aren't going to move the Cotton Bowl to Jerry World unless a bomb goes off and destroys the Old Cotton Bowl. Even then...they might rebuild it.

silverwheels
9/1/2009, 08:55 PM
They aren't going to move the Cotton Bowl to Jerry World unless a bomb goes off and destroys the Old Cotton Bowl. Even then...they might rebuild it.

Huh? The Cotton Bowl Game will be held at Cowboys Stadium starting this bowl season. That was decided a couple of years ago.

CK Sooner
9/1/2009, 08:55 PM
Huh? The Cotton Bowl Game will be held at Cowboys Stadium starting this bowl season. That was decided a couple of years ago.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

85sooners
9/1/2009, 08:57 PM
:gary:

silverwheels
9/1/2009, 08:59 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm confused as to how and why you're confused.

JohnnyMack
9/1/2009, 09:22 PM
I would like to point out that I called it years ago that the cotton bowl was going to be replacing the rose bowl in the bcs lineup.

JLEW1818
9/1/2009, 11:39 PM
The Cotton Bowl will be in the new cowboy stadium this year...... If if I'm wrong please tell me

note the cotton bowl is not OU UT.... for that game is simply OU ut

=

Red River Shootout

silverwheels
9/2/2009, 12:33 AM
You're not wrong. The article says

Those four games, like the upcoming 2010 game, will be played at the new home of the Cotton Bowl – the domed Cowboys Stadium, where inclement winter weather would not be a deterrent to a night game, as it had been at the Cotton Bowl stadium in Dallas.

Even with the game basically being played indoors now, Dallas in January is still not my idea of an awesome vacation.

illinisooner
9/2/2009, 12:49 AM
I would like to point out that I called it years ago that the cotton bowl was going to be replacing the rose bowl in the bcs lineup.

Absolutely not. If anything, it's the Fiesta Bowl that gets the shaft...it's the red headed stepchild of BCS bowls. Unless it's the NC game, no one ever seems to be excited to go to the Fiesta Bowl. The Rose Bowl isn't going anywhere.

Petro-Sooner
9/2/2009, 01:29 AM
And why were the renovations to the cotton bowl stadium done?

sooner59
9/2/2009, 02:18 AM
And why were the renovations to the cotton bowl stadium done?

For one reason.....to keep the RRS there. Revenue is greater for that game than the Cotton Bowl. It is "at least" the equivalent of a BCS game revenue-wise, if not more valuable. The city of Dallas makes bank that weekend. They didn't want it to leave to Arlington. I, for one, am cool with it. Dallas is a lot funner than Arlington.

stoopified
9/2/2009, 05:34 AM
Why?

MrJimBeam
9/2/2009, 05:44 AM
Why?

Corny Dogs.

badger
9/2/2009, 07:41 AM
Big 12 country needs to host at least one BCS game. As it currently stands, The Orange Bowl belongs to ACC and SEC country. The Sugar Bowl is SEC. The Rose and Fiesta Bowls are in Pac 10 country. The Big 12 is in the south and can use one decent, meaningful bowl. Go back to the rotation among the bowls for the championship game (instead of playing two BCS games at one site) and include the Cotton.

PS: I realize this would still exclude the Big 10 and Big East (which I guess could also vouch for the Orange Bowl, seeing how they have South Florida... hmmm), but it's a step in the right direction until global warming makes the north bearable during the winter.

w0lfe
9/2/2009, 07:41 AM
IMHO the bcs championship should be the last game of the season. meh
Agree

badger
9/2/2009, 07:46 AM
For one reason.....to keep the RRS there. Revenue is greater for that game than the Cotton Bowl. It is "at least" the equivalent of a BCS game revenue-wise, if not more valuable. The city of Dallas makes bank that weekend. They didn't want it to leave to Arlington. I, for one, am cool with it. Dallas is a lot funner than Arlington.

They might make bank during OU-Texas weekend, but they make UBER bank if OU wins. Texas fans generally live in Texas and don't think the State Fair is a big deal or anything, but it's a road trip for most Sooner fans, who will then go and spend tons of money in the area on hotels, restaurants, etc. However, if OU doesn't win, OU fans head up I-35 right away.

TexasLidig8r
9/2/2009, 08:52 AM
Read A LOT into the fact that the Cotton Bowl television contract with Fox.. and the current BCS contracts run out at the same time.. that is after 2014.

Would not be surprised to see the Cotton being added to the BCS mix after 2014 with the championship game being rotated among the 5 bowls.

And, in all likelihood, the Cotton will have a tie in with the Big XII.

Orange -- ACC and Big Least Champions
Rose -- Big 10/11 and Pac 10
Sugar -- SEC Champ and At Large
Cotton -- Big XII Champ and At Large
Fiesta -- Mountain West Champ and At Large

illinisooner
9/2/2009, 09:21 AM
Read A LOT into the fact that the Cotton Bowl television contract with Fox.. and the current BCS contracts run out at the same time.. that is after 2014.

Would not be surprised to see the Cotton being added to the BCS mix after 2014 with the championship game being rotated among the 5 bowls.

And, in all likelihood, the Cotton will have a tie in with the Big XII.

Orange -- ACC and Big Least Champions
Rose -- Big 10/11 and Pac 10
Sugar -- SEC Champ and At Large
Cotton -- Big XII Champ and At Large
Fiesta -- Mountain West Champ and At Large

Lid is onto something here. BCS officials have to be drooling at the 80,000-100,000 (I forget what Jerry World's capacity is) fans who will be at the game...and the fact that there are tons of luxury/premium seats that can be used by corporate sponsors. And we all know how many of those clowns are at bowl games. Adding another BCS game (The Fiesta will throw a sh!t fit if someone tries to vote them off the BCS island) will only make more $$$ and give more at large teams a chance to be in the BCS. In the end, it's all about $$$ and this plan gives everyone alot more of it.

I don't know about Lid's MWC automatic bid (because 5 years ago, maybe that would be the WAC) but it should definitely go to the Fiesta Bowl, which will continue to be the least desirable of the BCS bowls. But it will definitely give your Boise St, Utah, etc a chance to consistently be in the BCS, but unless every other BCS team has 2 losses, they will never be in the BCS title game.

ouleaf
9/2/2009, 09:58 AM
Agreed.

With the new Jerry World up and running they are going to make the Cotton Bowl into a BCS game after the current BCS contract is up. Will be interesting to see if it is still called the Cotton Bowl after the the TV and BCS contracts are up.

yermom
9/2/2009, 10:44 AM
i don't know about the MWC thing either. probably more like the Fiesta gets the auto-bid non-BCS team. Notre Dame could really mess up when the MWC/WAC have been doing lately, can't they? i can't remember the wording of the new rules. but i do like the idea of rotation again. mixing up the destinations is nice. maybe i just don't want to go to the Fiesta again :)

while Dallas is a little boring as a bowl destination, it would be cheap, and the Big 12 champs from the last 5 years can get there on autopilot ;)

JohnnyMack
9/2/2009, 10:54 AM
Absolutely not. If anything, it's the Fiesta Bowl that gets the shaft...it's the red headed stepchild of BCS bowls. Unless it's the NC game, no one ever seems to be excited to go to the Fiesta Bowl. The Rose Bowl isn't going anywhere.

Wanna bet?

JohnnyMack
9/2/2009, 10:58 AM
The Fiesta Bowl is a terrific destination venue for a big bowl. Especially with the new stadium. The weather out there is perfect that time of year and there is plenty to do. The Fiesta Bowl isn't going anywhere.

The Rose Bowl doesn't give two ****s about being in the BCS. It will continue plugging along as it always has. It will extend an invite to the PAC-10 champ and the Big 10 champ just like it always has and if either of those teams isn't playing in the BCS Title game they'll likely accept.

No way the BCS expands to a 5th bowl PLUS the BCS title game.

Orange
Sugar
Cotton
Fiesta
BCS Title game

You heard it here first.

JLEW1818
9/2/2009, 11:15 AM
so it really does come down to the Rose Bowl... that's the kicker...

the Rose Bowl is the outcast

and i think JM might have it right.... b/c the Rose Bowl does not care about anything

yermom
9/2/2009, 11:23 AM
The Fiesta Bowl is a terrific destination venue for a big bowl. Especially with the new stadium. The weather out there is perfect that time of year and there is plenty to do. The Fiesta Bowl isn't going anywhere.

The Rose Bowl doesn't give two ****s about being in the BCS. It will continue plugging along as it always has. It will extend an invite to the PAC-10 champ and the Big 10 champ just like it always has and if either of those teams isn't playing in the BCS Title game they'll likely accept.

No way the BCS expands to a 5th bowl PLUS the BCS title game.

Orange
Sugar
Cotton
Fiesta
BCS Title game

You heard it here first.

it doesn't have to be that different than it already is. just one site doesn't get both games anymore