PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Wilson Confusing the Hell Out of Me!!

adoniijahsooner
9/1/2009, 04:46 PM
Just watched this vid on soonersports; He says that Brody is as good right now as Cooper was last year. He also states that Ben will play center and play guard. He says they were not hiding him; but I didnt see Brody practicing with o-line after the 1st week . Something is amiss; what'd you guys think?

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/09-10/video/m-footbl/09sep/20090901_kevin_wilson.wmv&school=okla&

meoveryouxinfinity
9/1/2009, 04:48 PM
KW: SYKE!!!!! i'm in your head like dandruff!

CK Sooner
9/1/2009, 04:49 PM
Just watched this vid on soonersports; He says that Brody is as good right now as Cooper was last year. He also states that Ben will play center and play guard. He says they werent hiding him; but I didnt see Brody practice center after the 1st week and he wasnt in the head to head lineman battles. Something is amiss; what'd you guys think?

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/09-10/video/m-footbl/09sep/20090901_kevin_wilson.wmv&school=okla&

Could you rephrase that?

IslandSooner
9/1/2009, 04:51 PM
If Brody is as good now as Cooper was last year we should be in great shape at center!!!!!

adoniijahsooner
9/1/2009, 04:54 PM
Could you rephrase that?

Sorry, been up since 10pm last night, I work the night shift; about to head to sleep.

DakotaSooner
9/1/2009, 04:54 PM
I don't know what to think about the line right now.....guess we will find out in 4 days! I do like the fact that I think they will be more athletic and they will try harder. I think we will be just fine.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/1/2009, 04:58 PM
I get more and more pessimistic about our O-line as each day passes.

It kinda seems like KW is reaching...

stoopified
9/1/2009, 04:58 PM
BOOMER

IslandSooner
9/1/2009, 05:01 PM
SOONER

StoopTroup
9/1/2009, 05:02 PM

You need some Sooner Magic.

Don't worry...your gonna be OK. :pop:

Collier11
9/1/2009, 05:02 PM
Since Patton has been at OU, our line has been really good every year...im not worried

TXBOOMER
9/1/2009, 05:33 PM

I'm just the opposite. I'm a negative MOFO in a lot of things. But, I am very optomistic about the O-Line. Let's Hope. Boomer!

htownsooner7
9/1/2009, 05:35 PM
Some of this depth chart stuff may just be for show. The ATM coach (sherman) just said on the radio that there's a depth chart they release to the media and fans on saturday and the one they play with. Wonder if its the same deal here.

CK Sooner
9/1/2009, 05:43 PM
Some of this depth chart stuff may just be for show. The ATM coach (sherman) just said on the radio that there's a depth chart they release to the media and fans on saturday and the one they play with. Wonder if its the same deal here.

Well since they said that Brody was starting I am sure he is. He won't play the whole game though. Ben Habern will play. Stephen Good will rotate with Jarvis Jones.

JLEW1818
9/1/2009, 05:45 PM
if Brody is so good, why does he not start to begin with ?

StoopTroup
9/1/2009, 05:45 PM
I can't imagine any Coach using strategy. :D

CK Sooner
9/1/2009, 05:46 PM
if Brody is so good, why does he not start to begin with ?

I have no idea. Kevin said in an interview today that Brody is playing better than Cooper ever did.....

Crucifax Autumn
9/1/2009, 05:49 PM
Mind games.

JLEW1818
9/1/2009, 05:49 PM
yup, b/c I've always heard Brody is like OUr best blocker and stuff, and i don't doubt it... just don't get why he does not play more?? does he not have a "guard' type body?

CK Sooner
9/1/2009, 05:52 PM
yup, b/c I've always heard Brody is like OUr best blocker and stuff, and i don't doubt it... just don't get why he does not play more?? does he not have a "guard' type body?

He is considered a little undersized in the weight department. Cooper played at 250 at some points last season and Brody weighs about 264, so I am not to worried about his weight. We will see how he does against BYU, I sure will have my eye on him the whole game. If he does really good then I don't know why the coaches would move him if he does better then Habern. The only problem is that we would miss his blocking in the backfield, but hopefully Brandon Crow and Matt Clapp could fill that void.

BUT, the coaches have said that the move is NOT permanent, so I don't know.

Rhino
9/1/2009, 06:14 PM
It's permanent-ish.

Brody has only taken about a dozen snaps at tight end this fall.

Champion!
9/1/2009, 06:20 PM
I think Brody is the man at center. I don't think its a mind game or experiment. First, I don't think they want to switch around centers throughout a game because of the need for consistency at the snap. Second, if he is our best blocker, he is our best blocker. He regularly pancaked 300 lb tackles from the TE spot. No reason he can't do it from center. Finally, he probably knows the offense better than anyone else on the line and the center is the QB of the line. He has to make offensive calls depending on reads he makes at the line of scrimmage which determines how the rest of the line blocks. It is very likely that Brody does well in that department and another reason they like him at center. I am optomistic about him at center. I agree that Wilson has gotten clever with the media on occasion, but I just have a gut feeling that this is the real deal. We may all be talking about how brilliant a move it was 10 games from now. I hope so anyway!:)

StoopTroup
9/1/2009, 07:04 PM
I think Brody is the man at center. I don't think its a mind game or experiment. First, I don't think they want to switch around centers throughout a game because of the need for consistency at the snap. Second, if he is our best blocker, he is our best blocker. He regularly pancaked 300 lb tackles from the TE spot. No reason he can't do it from center. Finally, he probably knows the offense better than anyone else on the line and the center is the QB of the line. He has to make offensive calls depending on reads he makes at the line of scrimmage which determines how the rest of the line blocks. It is very likely that Brody does well in that department and another reason they like him at center. I am optomistic about him at center. I agree that Wilson has gotten clever with the media on occasion, but I just have a gut feeling that this is the real deal. We may all be talking about how brilliant a move it was 10 games from now. I hope so anyway!:)

Thanks Kevin.

:D

Scott D
9/1/2009, 07:12 PM

sherman managed to suck a bit as a coach with brett favre in his prime..just sayin ;)

Cappy
9/1/2009, 07:28 PM
So we could have two centers on the field at the same time. Sounds like Joe Dickinson might have come back around. Screw the wildcat or wild hawg formation, we are gonna have the wild horsepig formation.

gaylordfan1
9/1/2009, 07:33 PM
With Brody at center and the move to put J. Jones at RG just adds more experience to the unit.

AzianSooner
9/1/2009, 09:52 PM
Kevin Wilson is confused. All I can say .. you know.. like the hang over kind of stuff on MOnday morning..

BoomerJ
9/1/2009, 10:56 PM

That ATM coach is writin' checks his @ss can't cash.

rainiersooner
9/2/2009, 01:38 AM
Sick of reading tea leaves: Saturday can't come quick enough!!

picasso
9/2/2009, 01:39 AM

because he's a tight end?

w0lfe
9/2/2009, 08:18 AM
Our line will be good. They are better suited for a no huddle. We know brody can get out there and run =]

gaylordfan1
9/2/2009, 08:20 AM
I think the move is going to benefit us quite well. Stoops said Brody has always been one of the best blockers on the team... he just happens to excel in areas that are not so easily seen by the fans... which is blocking. I trust their reasoning. I'm sure we will be pleasantly surprised come January!

LawtonBoy74
9/2/2009, 08:25 AM
I really dont care who starts but I am confident in the o-line simply because our coaches are... They have seen a lot of good o-lineman come and go...so i'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about

w0lfe
9/2/2009, 08:26 AM
Too bad he will be an ineligible receiver when he is throwing a DT downfield :(

NOVSooner
9/2/2009, 08:35 AM
Our line will be good. They are better suited for a no huddle. We know brody can get out there and run =]

i agree...many on this board, i believe, feel we have a quicker o-line and got tired of seeing speed rushers off the end consistently blow past phil, etc. our speed is better on the line, i just hope that also means we hold our blocks as long as it seemed last year, too...

meoveryouxinfinity
9/2/2009, 08:37 AM
I wan't to believe it, and think that there is a chance. I just won't get my hopes up. I don't think they'll be bad, I just don't see them holding up for 4 quarters week after week. Sam will have more sacks this year.

The last time the O-line was REALLY bad? West Virginia. Now explain that one to me.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/2/2009, 08:38 AM
some of you are going to have heart attacks before kickoff gets here

CK Sooner
9/2/2009, 08:40 AM
I wan't to believe it, and think that there is a chance. I just won't get my hopes up. I don't think they'll be bad, I just don't see them holding up for 4 quarters week after week. Sam will have more sacks this year.

The last time the O-line was REALLY bad? West Virginia. Now explain that one to me.

I can easily see them holding up for 4 quarters. We still have decent depth. Stephen Good can back up both guard spots and give them a rest and Ben Habern is also a backup at guard. If needed Jarvis can move outside to tackle and Stephen can just take his spot.

LawtonBoy74
9/2/2009, 08:57 AM
And then Brian Lepak is also a viable back up center who was in competition with Habern for a while, and also Tyler Evans is a back up at the guard positions too!!

CK Sooner
9/2/2009, 09:02 AM
And then Brian Lepak is also a viable back up center who was in competition with Habern for a while, and also Tyler Evans is a back up at the guard positions too!!

Tyler should get some meaningful snaps against BYU and some other true freshman will too.

adoniijahsooner
9/2/2009, 09:09 AM
Do we run any iso's or dives up the middle? Or is it all zone blocking like the Denver Broncos use to run? Because their linemen were always undersized.

OUmillenium
9/2/2009, 09:11 AM

I hear ya

adoniijahsooner
9/2/2009, 09:21 AM
Wow, read this; very eerie

http://usc.scout.com/2/279658.html

2004 USC preview: Offense

Matt Leinart By Garry Paskwietz

Posted Aug 2, 2004

We’re going to be good on offense, there’s no real question about that, the only question is how good will we be? Look for Chow to be patient as the line develops, lots of quick throws from Leinart, and once the offense hits their stride during the season it should be an exciting show for Trojan fans to watch.

QB
To say the Trojans are in good shape at the quarterback spot heading into camp would be an understatement. Matt Leinart returns as the reigning Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Year and he can currently be found as the cover boy on several pre-season publications confirming his status as one of the top players in the country. Matt seems to take all the attention in stride with a relaxed smile on his face. A young offensive line may cause him to face a little pressure early in the season but Matt has worked in the off-season to increase his athleticism and there’s no reason to think he won’t put up big numbers once again this season.

RB

What an amazing trio of running backs the Trojans will put on the field this fall. The group of Reggie Bush, LenDale White and Hershel Dennis boasts pretty much every skill you could want in a tailback and the team-first attitude installed by Kennedy Pola seems to have carried over with new RB coach Todd McNair as the backs are happy with the success they achieve as a unit. Reggie is the most dynamic, a highlight film waiting to happen and he will line up all over the field this year as Chow devises creative ways to get the ball in his hands.

WR

This could be the biggest question mark heading into camp since we simply don’t know which players will be lining up once the season starts.

TE

This spot was looking like a major position of strength with the return of both Alex Holmes and Dominique Byrd from injury but the recent kneecap injury suffered by Byrd means that he will miss the early part of the season. We will still be in good hands with Holmes as he’s looked very good in summer passing drills. Alex is down to 257 pounds and is in the best shape of his life. He should be a bonus to the young offensive line with his experience and talent as a blocker.

OL

With four potential new starters there’s no denying that the line will be a major focal point during fall camp to see how quickly a new group can gel together. A big key could be the return of John Drake as the USC rushing numbers when he was in the line-up last season were significantly higher than when he was on the sideline. Drake is a powerful run blocker who will need to continue working his way into shape during camp. Sam Baker came out of spring as the solid starter at left tackle and he should solidify that spot in camp with Matt Spanos getting first opportunity to be his back-up. Drake figures to get a look at left guard with Travis Watkins and Tiny Malu also in the mix. Chilo Rachal will likely redshirt. Ryan Kalil is a smart football player who many people feel has a good shot to hold off incoming freshman center Jeff Byers. If Byers is ready to play right away, he’s already the strongest and fastest OL on the team, then he could be moved to another spot if Kalil has a firm grip on the center job. Line coach Tim Davis will get the five best players on the field and that could easily include both Kalil and Byers. Fred Matua has the job at right guard with Travis Draper backing him up. The right tackle competition could get interesting with Kyle Williams, Deuce Lutui and Drew Radovich fighting for the starting role that belongs to Williams as camp opens.

Summary

We’re going to be good on offense, there’s no real question about that, the only question is how good will we be? There are too many weapons for the mastermind Norm Chow to see anything less than success with this unit and the addition of Williams at receiver would border on silly in terms of how much talent would be available in one offense. Look for Chow to be patient as the line develops, lots of quick throws from Leinart, and once the offense hits their stride during the season it should be an exciting show for Trojan fans to watch.

Collier11
9/2/2009, 09:25 AM
But we are replacing starters on the best line ever under Stoops that consistently played lazy and made tons of mental mistakes ;)

LawtonBoy74
9/2/2009, 09:26 AM
Do we run any iso's or dives up the middle? Or is it all zone blocking like the Denver Broncos use to run? Because their linemen were always undersized.

From the vids I seen on Soonersports, it looks like we are running more of a zone blocking scheme

adoniijahsooner
9/2/2009, 09:30 AM
But we are replacing starters on the best line ever under Stoops that consistently played lazy and made tons of mental mistakes ;)

your preaching to the choir, I keep wondering what the big deal is.

adoniijahsooner
9/2/2009, 09:34 AM
From the vids I seen on Soonersports, it looks like were are running more of a zone blocking scheme

That helps with RBs like DM and CB; those guys are pretty much responsible for finding the whole and going. I remember Madu's run during the scrimmage that was off a zone read, simply beautiful.

Full screen it and start from 2:35
http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/09-10/video/m-footbl/08aug/20090815_scrimmage_highlights.wmv&school=okla&

LawtonBoy74
9/2/2009, 09:35 AM
There are definitely a lot of similarities

LawtonBoy74
9/2/2009, 09:39 AM
Yep thats definitely 21 zone lol

Jello Biafra
9/2/2009, 09:41 AM

although i agree with several of your thoughts, the reason he regularly pancaked 300 lb lineman is the same reason he wont be getting them at center. its angle blocks pure and simple. he will not have the luxury of angle blocking at center unless the team we are playing doesnt play a true nose.

look, the point to this is at center, all he HAS to do is seal block. we will rarely run right up the gut and all he has to do is get his azz towards the hole we are running to and keep his boy from penetrating.

LawtonBoy74
9/2/2009, 09:43 AM
agreed yeah we run a lot more zone blocking schemes but every now and then we will mix in a power play where the center can use a seal block or angle block

CK Sooner
9/2/2009, 09:45 AM
Adrian Taylor On Brody Eldridge

Q: Kevin Wilson said that Brody Eldridge was the best offensive linemen right now, maybe other than Trent Williams. Is he as good as the coaches say he is?
Taylor: I think he's better. For a guy to step in, who played all the way on the outside at tight end, then to come in and step up at center, it just speaks volume about his character. How many people do you know will willingly do that without any confrontation or arguing? I can honestly say Brody is the hardest worker on this team. You'll never see him quit. If coach says block forever, Brody will block forever. I can't say that about anybody else on this team.

Q: How does he compare to Jon Cooper?
Taylor: Coop has more experience. Coop made me better everyday. I owe Coop. But as far as Brody compares to Coop, he needs more time to develop. Coop was a smart player, very smart. He wasn't the biggest or heaviest guy, but he knew how to use his weight and strength. Brody has to learn that and over time he will.

Q: As far as raw blocking ability, does Brody stack up against anybody?
Taylor: He's just as good. Like they always tell you, effort makes up for a lack of talent. I'm not saying he isn't talented, I'm saying he has all the effort in the world, and that makes up for any lack in any area he might have.

Q: Could his weight be an issue? If he was to play center all season long, do you think he would need to gain some weight?
Taylor: I would think that Coach Wilson will tell him to gain some weight. At this level of football there are some big guys. Brody is a strong guy but that weight comes into play when you play four quarters of football. The weight will definitely play a factor.

adoniijahsooner
9/2/2009, 10:00 AM
Adrian Taylor On Brody Eldridge

Q: Kevin Wilson said that Brody Eldridge was the best offensive linemen right now, maybe other than Trent Williams. Is he as good as the coaches say he is?
Taylor: I think he's better. For a guy to step in, who played all the way on the outside at tight end, then to come in and step up at center, it just speaks volume about his character. How many people do you know will willingly do that without any confrontation or arguing? I can honestly say Brody is the hardest worker on this team. You'll never see him quit. If coach says block forever, Brody will block forever. I can't say that about anybody else on this team.

Q: How does he compare to Jon Cooper?
Taylor: Coop has more experience. Coop made me better everyday. I owe Coop. But as far as Brody compares to Coop, he needs more time to develop. Coop was a smart player, very smart. He wasn't the biggest or heaviest guy, but he knew how to use his weight and strength. Brody has to learn that and over time he will.

Q: As far as raw blocking ability, does Brody stack up against anybody?
Taylor: He's just as good. Like they always tell you, effort makes up for a lack of talent. I'm not saying he isn't talented, I'm saying he has all the effort in the world, and that makes up for any lack in any area he might have.

Q: Could his weight be an issue? If he was to play center all season long, do you think he would need to gain some weight?
Taylor: I would think that Coach Wilson will tell him to gain some weight. At this level of football there are some big guys. Brody is a strong guy but that weight comes into play when you play four quarters of football. The weight will definitely play a factor.

Interesting. Good work man; impeccable research.

SoonersEnFuego
9/2/2009, 10:02 AM
He's got mind control over Debo.

LawtonBoy74
9/2/2009, 10:07 AM
Yeah AT is probably the best person to get insight on the Center position, shucks lol he goes against the guys every practice

beer4me
9/2/2009, 12:39 PM
KW is running a mis-direction play that's all :D

BoulderSooner79
9/2/2009, 12:48 PM
Yep - let's hope KW is confusing the hell out of BYU coaches.

goingoneight
9/2/2009, 01:30 PM
Question:
Who is the best blocker, who knows the offense like the back of his hand, whose skills and leadership have shown him successful at two othe positions already on offense for OU?

Is it really a BAD thing that arguably OUr best player is headlining the front five? If Hanna and Rateree have satisfied Kevin Wilson, why keep your best blue-collar guy somewhere he'd fall to distant-third or fourth on the roster?

LawtonBoy74
9/2/2009, 01:33 PM
Good point!!