PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys' Cox arrested last week

meoveryouxinfinity
9/1/2009, 08:57 AM
didn't see it posted? either you guys are slow or it just came out ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4435851

Cowboys' Cox arrested last week
Comment Email Print Share
By Tim Griffin
ESPN.com
Archive

Oklahoma State senior defensive back Perrish Cox was arrested last week by the Stillwater (Okla.) Police Department on charges of driving with a suspended license.

Stillwater police dispatcher Brian Porter confirmed that Cox was arrested at 11:46 p.m. on Friday on the suspended license charges at the corner of Hall of Fame and Hope streets in Stillwater. He had no other information about the arrest, Porter said.

Big 12 blog

Griffin ESPN.com's Tim Griffin writes about all things Big 12 in his conference blog.

• Blog network:
College Football Nation

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy was not available for comment.

Associate Athletic Director for Media Relations Kevin Klintworth said, "Mike is aware of it and we are handling it internally."

The arrest is significant because it came at the end of a week where Gundy had placed the Cowboys in a media lockdown to improve their focus for Saturday's key opener with Georgia -- a game that is widely considered the biggest opening game in the history of the OSU program.

Cox is a significant player for the Cowboys because he is their only returning starter in the secondary. The Oklahoma State defense struggled last season, ranking 93rd in total defense, 107th in sacks and 109th in pass defense.

The Cowboys were blistered for 42 points by Oregon in the Holiday Bowl, 56 points by Texas Tech and 61 points by Oklahoma in a late defensive slump that saw them with three losses during a four-game span to finish the 2008 season. The Cowboys finished at 9-4 after starting with eight wins in their first nine games.

Cox also is the Cowboys' primary kickoff returner after ranking third nationally and leading the Big 12 with an average of 29.8 yards per return last season. He likely will be matched with Georgia standout sophomore wide receiver A.J. Green in the Cowboys' opening game.

Tim Griffin covers college football for ESPN.com. You may contact him at [email protected].

adoniijahsooner
9/1/2009, 08:58 AM
did they get him for buggery of a sheep?

NCSooner18
9/1/2009, 09:03 AM
"at the corner of Hall of Fame and Hope streets" Is that funny to anyone else?

meoveryouxinfinity
9/1/2009, 09:04 AM

yes

wait, we're talking about Stillwater, right?

gaylordfan1
9/1/2009, 09:04 AM
I'm sure this is one of those "we will handle this internally" things. Wonder if he will play? I guess it depends on why his lic was suspended and what he was questioned for. That could come back to bite them in the butt! We need them with as many wins as possible for when we strip them of their pride.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/1/2009, 09:13 AM
I'm sure this is one of those "we will handle this internally" things. Wonder if he will play? I guess it depends on why his lic was suspended and what he was questioned for. That could come back to bite them in the butt! We need them with as many wins as possible for when we strip them of their pride.

He will play.. I would put money on that.

badger
9/1/2009, 09:35 AM
More outta Pokeland - their starting tight end is leaving the team. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20090901_93_0_aaolyo199223)

NormanPride
9/1/2009, 11:47 AM
Cox arrested for driving on expired license = Gresham warrant for no seatbelt ticket

Meh.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/1/2009, 11:52 AM
Heard on the radio this morning that Cox will not miss any PT because of this.

OUMallen
9/1/2009, 11:59 AM
Nor should he; no big deal. The more interesting thing is their starting TE leaving the team 5 days before the season opener with no comments made as to why.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/1/2009, 12:02 PM
IMO any player at any school who gets arrested for any reason should at least miss a quarter or a half of the next game. If the aggs were playing Comanche County Polytechnic Institute instead of Georgia I'll bet he would sit out a bit.

SoonerSoph
9/1/2009, 12:02 PM
I know he won't miss any PT but if he did the Pokes are used to not having any Cox.

;)

OSUAggie
9/1/2009, 12:06 PM
Nor should he; no big deal. The more interesting thing is their starting TE leaving the team 5 days before the season opener with no comments made as to why.

Trouble with the wimmens.

From what I hear, he's a bit ... thuggish.

But he was a promising TE, so that'll be a bit of a loss. There are a few guys that can step in (Youman, Horton, Moore, Bassett), but none of those guys have the block/receive combo skills that Mosely has. Youman and Bassett are solid blockers, but lack a bit with the receiving. Horton and Moore are the opposite (in fact, I think they're both playing a lot of "slot"... Bowman-style slot).

Youman will likely start Saturday, but I doubt he ventures too far beyond the LOS on pass plays.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/1/2009, 12:12 PM
Just put a 6th OL out there to block. Even on pass plays, the most high powered offense ever in the history of the world doesn't need a TE anyway.

ouwapiti
9/1/2009, 12:48 PM

Dang, man, you beat me to it.....

RedstickSooner
9/1/2009, 01:07 PM
IMO any player at any school who gets arrested for any reason should at least miss a quarter or a half of the next game. If the aggs were playing Comanche County Polytechnic Institute instead of Georgia I'll bet he would sit out a bit.

Truth be told, I have no problem with teams choosing punishment based on who they play. (For truly mild things) It was a minor moving violation -- making him miss playing time against East Popcorn State would've been fine. Missing playing time against Georgia, given the offense, seems excessive.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/1/2009, 01:21 PM
That just don't make sense to me. Either he should be punished or he shouldn't. Basing a supspension on who the next opponent is sounds like a very longwhorn thing to do to me.

budbarrybob
9/1/2009, 02:35 PM
That just don't make sense to me. Either he should be punished or he shouldn't. Basing a supspension on who the next opponent is sounds like a very longwhorn thing to do to me.

I agree, but I also have no problem with Cox starting saturday.

:pop:

tommieharris91
9/1/2009, 02:37 PM
Cox arrested for driving on expired license = Gresham warrant for no seatbelt ticket

Meh.

This.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/1/2009, 04:25 PM
I had to post it to keep the BYU fans happy. Apparently we don't discuss hot item issues enough.

Jello Biafra
9/1/2009, 04:28 PM

roflmao i was just thinking that....