PDA

View Full Version : Best bar in Antarctica to watch Sooner Football?

ruf/nekdad
9/1/2009, 06:10 AM
So all these years I've seen posts from people complaining they were in Japan or Timbuktu or Farawaystan and were looking for a web site to watch the game. I should have paid closer attention. I'm leaving for Antarctica next month and will miss most of the season. The good news is I will have a fair internet connection. Anybody know a good web site to watch live or delayed Sooner Football games?

batonrougesooner
9/1/2009, 06:19 AM
Eskimo Joe's?

Seriously though, you may have some luck with ESPN360. You've probably seen it advertised. I think you can get a lot of the games through that. They have live video streaming. Should definitely work with the espn games and I would think you may have some luck with the ABC games as well. Can't say for sure but it's worth investigating.

You should be able to get a rough playback from the soonersports.com website after the fact as well.

stoopified
9/1/2009, 06:47 AM
THE ICE BOX-The World's Coolest bar. :)

Frozen Sooner
9/1/2009, 06:52 AM
Gonna be at McMurdo (sp?)? Awesome!

auto
9/1/2009, 07:33 AM
Tilted Kilt:D

badger
9/1/2009, 07:35 AM
I can't say that I have ever seen a question like this posed before :D

Be sure to take a pic of you in Antarctica watching OU football :D

sendbaht
9/1/2009, 07:35 AM
I live in Thailand and hoping to catching a few games in Justin.tv. Besides that on the web radio which is better then nothing. My grandpa 50 years ago would listen to baseball games on the radio and he was happy. If it was good enough for that sweet man it's good enough for me....but, I'd rather watch it on TV.:)

meoveryouxinfinity
9/1/2009, 07:45 AM
justin.tv

FO FREE!!

just search for the game

rainiersooner
9/1/2009, 07:54 AM
My advice - and not just for Sooner football, but to keep your sanity (I had a buddy who did 6 month stints in Antarctica for about 10 yrs) is to buy SLINGBOX and get some buddy, family member, ex-girlfriend who owes you, whoever, to set it up on their tv (or better yet, if you can swing it, pay for an extra cable box at this person's house and set the SLINGBOX up on that). Not only will you be able to watch every OU game, you'll be able to watch OSU's hype machine get deflated, Notre Dame still suck, as well as the View, if you're so inclined. I used to have this same dilemma because I'd be in Europe every Christmas around bowl season. Now, I never watch us lose a BCS game. I highly recommend it (can you tell!?).

sooner518
9/1/2009, 07:59 AM
http://www.atdhe.net/
or
www.channelsurfing.net

Antarctica, that is freakin cool. how many people are on that continent at a time? like 10?

SteelClip49
9/1/2009, 08:43 AM
Beer will always be cold!!! Lot's of fridge and freezer space!!! Tell Amundsen-Scott I said hi and good luck!!!

boomersooner28
9/1/2009, 08:45 AM
TAKE A BIG DAMN OU FLAG! I want pictures of it freezing! :D

picasso
9/1/2009, 08:55 AM
All I know is if Kurt Russell and Wilford Brimley walk in the door, get the hell outta there!

Crimson Kid
9/1/2009, 08:56 AM
Get a slingbox problem solved, cost a bit well worth not missing the sooners play.

ruf/nekdad
9/1/2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks. Maybe 130 on the continent from the states are there in the winter keeping the place from freezing. Up to 1100 at McMurdo alone during the summer, and a hundred each at South Pole and Palmer. Here are a couple of links I've been sending folks that ask about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz2SeEzxMuE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TemK6CF6lF0

boomersooner28
9/1/2009, 09:28 AM
Condition 1: HOLY ****!!!!:eek:

ruf/nekdad
9/1/2009, 09:34 AM
Condition 1: HOLY ****!!!!:eek:

"a little blowy" she said.

Petro-Sooner
9/1/2009, 09:36 AM
WOW!!!!

SoonerAficionadOU
9/1/2009, 11:06 AM
"Travel outside is not permitted during Condition 1"

^most unnecessary rule ever. Might as well say "walking through walls is not permitted" or "smart whorns will be executed"

RedstickSooner
9/1/2009, 11:19 AM
All I know is if Kurt Russell and Wilford Brimley walk in the door, get the hell outta there!

Damn you, Picasso. I was just gonna say that if you find a giant metal saucer under the ice... Leave it for next year's scientific team.

And beware Norwegians shooting at dogs from helicopters. Odds are they're not just showing Sarah Palin around.

Intown
9/1/2009, 11:43 AM
~ Is that it, Dad? Did the penguin tell you to do this?~

GKeeper316
9/1/2009, 06:22 PM
that place looks awesome!

how does one go about finding work down there???

soonerboomer93
9/1/2009, 10:47 PM
are you a part of the fire brigade?

My father has been training the brigade for a few years now. They were actually going to fly him down there for a few days just to see it.

soonerboomer93
9/1/2009, 10:49 PM
justin.tv or

espn international game plan (unless you somehow get an US ip then espn 360)

i'd go with tivo and slingbox combo

ruf/nekdad
9/2/2009, 06:00 AM
No, I'm doing electrical work, but fire is a big problem. Its the driest place on the planet, not to mention coldest, and most remote. And everybody wants to go back... go figure. Last guy I talked to is on his seventh trip and is staying for a full year. He will make about 80K with free room and board.
They need all trades and types. Still need a few for this summer season, Oct-Feb.
If you really want to work there, get your long undies on and go here...http://www.rayjobs.com/index.cfm?navID=119

ruf/nekdad
9/2/2009, 06:05 AM
~ Is that it, Dad? Did the penguin tell you to do this?~

:) clever.
I've tried to get off the beaten path any chance I get. I think this qualifies as off the path. Interesting that two species of penguin and one bird is the extent of the wildlife (above the ice) there.

LawtonBoy74
9/2/2009, 09:21 AM
AMAZING VIDS... Condition 1 is Nucking Futts!!