View Full Version : NBC's top 25 atmospheres

SoonerSoph
8/31/2009, 09:52 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/32561906/ns/sports-college_football//

No surprise who NBC would put at #3.

But I gotta think 16 is low.

Gresho Murford
8/31/2009, 09:55 PM
that list is whack. Nebraska's was no better than ours. Ill be the first to admit that we get lazy sometimes but man if everygame was like tech last year we would be at the top

SoonerSoph
8/31/2009, 09:58 PM
Hearing the Boomer Sooner chant echoing in that stadium gives me chills like I've never experienced.

And I've been to a Military Academy stadium when we played Air Force in 01. Not impressed. The only cool thing was the student section doing push-ups after every score. They didn't get to do too many that day :D

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/31/2009, 10:13 PM
After the late 90s renovation, Notre Dame doesn't get to call itself "the Wrigley Field of college football." I went there in 2007 (actually saw the worst team in UND history practice!!!), and it wasn't nearly as impressive as Rudy led me to believe.

Widescreen
8/31/2009, 10:33 PM
Aggieland is as unique as they come.
Well that was a kind way to put it.

SeattleOUstudent
8/31/2009, 10:33 PM
Completely disagree. ND has a great gameday atmosphere. The stadium experience is icing on the cake. They deserve to be Top 5 for sure. 16 may be low for us, but its not like we deserve top 10.

Dont get me wrong, I love me some Norman football, but in perspective....its just not the same.

Dan Thompson
8/31/2009, 10:40 PM
When he talked about OU, he did not say anything about the stadium, but how the fans where. I only saw two lines about OU. Maybe he should have been there when we creamed #1 TT last year.

sooneron
8/31/2009, 10:51 PM
I'm sorry, but I have been to DKR and it is a milquetoast version of our house. Lame all the way around. They should have bee blackballed from the list for putting trailers on the field 6 years ago.

Doyen
8/31/2009, 11:09 PM
that list is whack. Nebraska's was no better than ours. Ill be the first to admit that we get lazy sometimes but man if everygame was like tech last year we would be at the top

I'm sorry.... but Nebraska is tops for me over anything in SEC or BIG XII ...and I have experienced them all

Clever Trevor
8/31/2009, 11:13 PM
I'm sorry.... but Nebraska is tops for me over anything in SEC or BIG XII ...and I have experienced them all

You are SO right!!:texan:

BoulderSooner79
8/31/2009, 11:25 PM
I could agree with all those top picks except for one problem:

They cheer for the wrong team!!

BoomerJ
8/31/2009, 11:26 PM
Where was K State on that list?

GottaHavePride
8/31/2009, 11:40 PM
Where was K State on that list?

Reading it.

That's as close as they get.

Collier11
9/1/2009, 12:22 AM
Heh, he said youve got to admire cocks fans

setexhornfan
9/1/2009, 02:26 AM
I think that both, OU and UTex, get screwed on these lists by playing in Dallas.

yermom
9/1/2009, 03:58 AM
i wasn't THAT impressed by Nebraska, and they were playing OU when i was there. i guess i'll get another chance to be impressed this year

and it's the Cotton Bowl that gets shafted on this list. not much beats OU/Texas in terms of game atmosphere in my experience, other than a BCS championship game

College Station and Eugene are certainly worth checking out though

Half a Hundred
9/1/2009, 07:23 AM
i wasn't THAT impressed by Nebraska, and they were playing OU when i was there. i guess i'll get another chance to be impressed this year

and it's the Cotton Bowl that gets shafted on this list. not much beats OU/Texas in terms of game atmosphere in my experience, other than a BCS championship game

College Station and Eugene are certainly worth checking out though

Lincoln's no snake pit, but it certainly is a game day experience that ranks up there with any. I remember distinctly thinking that it was the only one that felt as "big time" as OU's game day of the away games (Baylor, Texas A&M, KU, CU, Tulsa, Nebraska) that I've been to.

Jdog
9/1/2009, 08:26 AM

Everygame in college station is like what we had with Tech last year - and they're not in the top 5.

Don't read too much in to it ----- its just a pity poll for The Top 3 who were once good but who nolonger have the talent. The rest of the teams are filler

besides NBC's still mad at us for booing Brokaw a few years ago.

Gresho Murford
9/1/2009, 09:42 AM
Everygame in college station is like what we had with Tech last year - and they're not in the top 5.

Don't read too much in to it ----- its just a pity poll for The Top 3 who were once good but who nolonger have the talent. The rest of the teams are filler

besides NBC's still mad at us for booing Brokaw a few years ago.

college station was nice but didn't compare to tech last year

SoonerAtKU
9/1/2009, 09:57 AM
uh...every game at A&M is like that? Maybe in the early 90s, when they were competitive.

I'd say Florida is probably underrated, and Notre Dame is only special because of nostalgia these days.

yermom
9/1/2009, 09:59 AM
we lack consistency ;)

i'd settle for one game like that Tech game a year

OKLA21FAN
9/1/2009, 10:03 AM
we lack consistency ;)

just picking the battles and letting the game come to us ;)

BoulderSooner79
9/1/2009, 10:06 AM
I was a student during the mid 70's/ King Barry time and I have to admit the crowd wasn't great in general. They had gotten spoiled by then and expected nothing short of sooner domination. If the team was even slightly flat, but still winning handily, they sat on their hands. The exception was when the Huskers came to town and then it was like the TT game last year (or at least like it appeared on TV). The other moments were when Joe Washington got the ball and everyone stood wondering if this was going to be a highlight play or a fumble :) The OU crowd in Dallas was always tremendous.

josh09
9/1/2009, 10:22 AM
This is a messed up list. I dont agree with about half of it.

OklahomaTuba
9/1/2009, 10:28 AM
Hmm, odd that the T Boone Pickens stadium wasn't on that list.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/1/2009, 12:10 PM
Surprise, more SEC love. He shoulda just put "anywhere in the SEC" at #1.:rolleyes:

OUmillenium
9/1/2009, 01:14 PM
Nostalgia Dame, I like that. That's all they got.

OUMallen
9/1/2009, 01:23 PM
I COULDN'T READ ANYTHING AFTER THEY MENTIONED AUTZEN, WHAT DID I MISS???

OUMallen
9/1/2009, 01:24 PM
Our crowd is pretty lame considering our success. Bama was amazing. Clemson was very very good. Kyle Field is interesting and intricate in their yells, but that's only the students.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/1/2009, 01:25 PM
I COULDN'T READ ANYTHING AFTER THEY MENTIONED AUTZEN, WHAT DID I MISS???

SEC, SEC, SEC, Notre Dame, service academies.

ouleaf
9/1/2009, 03:11 PM
I'm betting a lot of his list has to do with who the home team is actually playing that week that he visits. If he visits us when we play say Baylor, OU Memorial Stadium doesn't have nearly the same energy as when OSUck comes to town.

I would have had us a little lower(improve in the rankings), but not by much. I was surprised at how high (bad in the rankings) Florida State was.

cheezyq
9/1/2009, 03:21 PM
Criteria for the list: Which schools do we have contracts with here at NBC? Ok, you go to the top.

GottaHavePride
9/1/2009, 07:32 PM
Everygame in college station is like what we had with Tech last year

Negative, Ghost Rider.

I went to both A&M and K-State in 2000. K-State was crazier. By a lot.

Partial Qualifier
9/1/2009, 08:20 PM
Regarding DKR over Owen Field: consider the source. Dude's a little light in the loafers, it would appear.

I was checking out the "College Cherleaders" link on the right side of that article and ran across this pic, the caption reads: "Cheerleaders for the Florida Gators looks on against the Oklahoma Sooners in the BCS National Championship Game."

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/NBCSports/Sections/Personal/Williams,%20Ed/Photos/CFB%20Cheer/090109_FloridaCheer2.ss_full.jpg

Woah! NTTAWWT. I guess. :eek:

sooneron
9/1/2009, 08:40 PM
Is having a cleft chin a prerequisite for cheerleader in the swamp?

Jdog
9/1/2009, 10:48 PM
Negative, Ghost Rider.

I went to both A&M and K-State in 2000. K-State was crazier. By a lot.

Which K State game - the one in KC or the one in Manhattan?
The only game I missed in 2000 was the one in Manhattan.

The only game that I’ve attended at Kyle field was the 2000 OU game. it was loud. I recall that they had a meter on the score board that they used to try and break the record for the loudest crowd ever for a Football game.
50,300 seats at KSU
85,000 Seats at Kyle

Wow

Gresho Murford
9/2/2009, 08:26 AM
i was impressed with kstate in 2004

DakotaSooner
9/2/2009, 01:35 PM
As a hater of the huskers, I gotta give them props for their loyalty. I live up in Husker territory and i gotta tell ya it sucks sometimes. I went to the 2001 game at NU and it was pretty special.

although I want to puke every time I think about Eric Crouch running down the sideline in front of us after a throw back play to him and the retarded guy sitting next to me with a foam corn cob on his head screaming Heisman.....ughhhhh......i almost had to have counseling after that.

DakotaSooner
9/2/2009, 01:37 PM
haha........i just saw the chin post! that is funny stuff.