PDA

View Full Version : Difference between our fanbases

BermudaSooner
8/31/2009, 04:19 PM
A quote from the Cougarblue.com board.

"I'm driving up from Houston Friday afternoon. My wife and I will be staying at a Motel 6 Friday and Saturday. We plan on going to the Dallas temple on Saturday morning, do some sight seeing and shopping in the afternoon and be at the game in the evening. On Sunday morning we will attend a ward church service in the Arlington area and then drive back to Houston in the afternoon."

a little bit different from the "where is everyone getting their drink on?" post!!

SoonerCoug
8/31/2009, 04:28 PM

"I'm driving up from Houston Friday afternoon. My wife and I will be staying at a Motel 6 Friday and Saturday. We plan on going to the Dallas temple on Saturday morning, do some sight seeing and shopping in the afternoon and be at the game in the evening. On Sunday morning we will attend a ward church service in the Arlington area and then drive back to Houston in the afternoon."

a little bit different from the "where is everyone getting their drink on?" post!!

I'm not much of a temple-going Mormon myself, but I sure love these folks. They're goofy and everything, but they also tend to be kind, hardworking, intelligent folks. My only big problem with my fellow Mormons is that they're almost all Republicans.

JLEW1818
8/31/2009, 04:32 PM
so they are at least smart then?

SoonerCoug
8/31/2009, 04:36 PM

BYU is #10 in the nation in the number of graduates who go on to receive PhDs, #1 in the number of dentists they produce, and #6 in the number of physicians they produce.

From the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago on the years 1995 to 2004:
1. University of California-Berkeley 4,436
2. University of Michigan-Ann Arbor 3,093
3. Cornell University 3,020
4. University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign 2,872
5. University of Texas-Austin 2,609
6. University of Wisconsin-Madison 2,567
7. Harvard University 2,541
8. Pennsylvania State University 2,504
9. University of California-Los Angeles 2,463
10. Brigham Young University 2,116

But we're going to get our butts kicked on the field this Saturday.

JLEW1818
8/31/2009, 04:40 PM
dude i don't care about your freaking grades and stats

I was referring to them being mostly "republican"

meoveryouxinfinity
8/31/2009, 04:40 PM
Jlew, they might be smart, but don't catch much sarcasm.

JLEW1818
8/31/2009, 04:41 PM

:D :D

TXBOOMER
8/31/2009, 04:41 PM

Staying at a Motel 6 around Dallas??? Good Luck. I hope you make it to the game.

budbarrybob
8/31/2009, 04:42 PM

RE: Republicans. you forgot hard working, small government advocates, gun-carrying, flag waving, family centered and God-loving.
EOM

BermudaSooner
8/31/2009, 04:46 PM
My only big problem with my fellow Mormons is that they're almost all Republicans.

So there are some things that we have in common.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/31/2009, 04:47 PM
:D :D

lol very reminiscent of aggies posting their Vet school stats. [hairGel]

soonersam
8/31/2009, 04:51 PM
No reason for the local bars to run any BYU drink specials!!! Blue O'Douls on tap maybe??

There's no caffeine in O'douls is there??

SoonerCoug
8/31/2009, 04:53 PM
No reason for the local bars to run any BYU drink specials!!! Blue O'Douls on tap maybe??

There's no caffeine in O'douls is there??

In Utah they sell Polygamy Porter and St. Provo Girl. I am not joking.

As far as caffeine goes, I brought a big Mountain Dew with me to class every day at BYU, and no one ever said a word. Caffeine is not against the Mormon religion. It's just that some Mormons individually choose not to drink caffeine. It's a philosophical issue where they believe that the "body is a temple," and therefore they try to avoid anything harmful. In theory they're also supposed to eat healthy foods, although most of them go to McDonald's like the rest of us.

JLEW1818
8/31/2009, 04:54 PM
Utah sucks, and so do the jazz

SoonerCoug
8/31/2009, 04:58 PM
Utah sucks

Yeah, I hate the University of Utah too.

JLEW1818
8/31/2009, 05:00 PM
how is their dentist school? do they have one?

SoonerCoug
8/31/2009, 05:01 PM
how is their dentist school? do they have one?

No, they do not have a dental school. I hear that roughly 1/3rd of OU's dental school student body is Mormon, though. I was just saying that BYU is #1 in the nation for the number of graduates that go on to dental school, #10 for PhDs, and #6 for MDs. They do not have a medical school there either.

soonervegas
8/31/2009, 05:04 PM
Any truth to the rumor that they bring tremendous "eh-hem" female talent to the table?

royalfan5
8/31/2009, 05:31 PM
Any truth to the rumor that they bring tremendous "eh-hem" female talent to the table?
After I saw my Mormon friends wife, I almost converted on the spot.

BoulderSooner79
8/31/2009, 05:31 PM
So there are some things that we have in common.

Who's this "we" - you got a republican frog in your pocket ?

batonrougesooner
8/31/2009, 05:58 PM
They probably make so many dentists because people in Utah probably have more teeth per capita than most states.

GKeeper316
8/31/2009, 06:43 PM
RE: Republicans. you forgot hard working, small government advocates, gun-carrying, flag waving, family centered and God-loving.
EOM

and think everyone should be like them. i identify with the republican party more than the democratic. i vote democrat because im intelligent enough to understand the problem with the new conservative movement in america. just because you live a certain way and think certain things, doesnt mean everyone else does. so what if 2 dudes want to get married... im personally opposed to it, but that doesnt mean that they shouldnt be afforded the same rights as straight people. and if the government is going to involve itself in the process (by issuing marriage licenses) then the government cant discriminate based on gender.

i love guns, i think the people of the state of oklahoma know best how to decide whats best for the state of oklahoma, and not some hippy in california, seved as a marine in the first gulf war, and love my family. but ill be damned if im going to try to impose my particular belief system on another human being.

Hella Sideburns
8/31/2009, 06:48 PM
anyone who identifies solely with one party is the true idiot

but i digress

Partial Qualifier
8/31/2009, 06:59 PM

My kid's kindergarten teacher is a recent BYU grad and I'm nothing if not very impressed. with. her.

UberSooner
8/31/2009, 07:58 PM
I watched an HBO series on mormons and Bill Paxton was the star. Bill Paxton is from Oklahoma. Tell me that ain't some weird shizzle right there.

A Sooner in Texas
8/31/2009, 08:14 PM

Plus, they're Republicans.

:D

GKeeper316
8/31/2009, 08:20 PM
My kid's kindergarten teacher is a recent BYU grad and I'm nothing if not very impressed. with. her.

lemme guess... hot blonde

OU86
8/31/2009, 08:22 PM
So they are smart, good looking, nice, right living, and God-fearing.

With guns.

And we are dumb, drunk, smelly redneck peckerheads (with guns too, so that's a wash, npi).

But we get sarcasm. And I think we all know which is more important.

Hold my beer and watch this.

AlbqSooner
8/31/2009, 08:26 PM

Back in my day we said splooged. :D

SoonerCoug
8/31/2009, 08:26 PM
Regarding the question about female talent: Gladys Knight is Mormon. Not sure about the Pips, though.

MI Sooner
8/31/2009, 09:02 PM
As for female talent more generally, are there any blondes (natural) on campus yet? Granted, I come from a heavily Dutch area of a northern state, but I swear I didn't see a single natural blonde at OU, whereas ~20% of the people up here have blonde hair.

I guess there may have been a couple at OU, but I never got to give them the one test that reveals all.

BoulderSooner79
8/31/2009, 09:18 PM
I don't think "the one test that reveals all" works anymore. Either that, or the universal color is now "bald".

A Sooner in Texas
8/31/2009, 09:18 PM
All the Mormons I knew in Bartlesville - all 10 of 'em, I guess - were very good looking, the males and the females. All that clean living must produce uber-DNA. Though some of the ones I knew weren't all that clean living.

soonerspudman
8/31/2009, 09:38 PM
Lots of mo's in my neck of the woods and I grew up with a lot of them, never once had any of them preach to me. Generally really good folks.

OKC-SLC
8/31/2009, 10:49 PM
Back in my day we said splooged. :D

this is comedy gold, people.

rainiersooner
9/1/2009, 12:16 AM

Not to mention that you can have more than one of them! Go Mormonism!!

SoonerPr8r
9/1/2009, 07:58 AM

You think they recruit?

boomersooner28
9/1/2009, 08:04 AM
Didn't know what to expect when I clicked on this thread, but I LMAO!

Thats for sure. :D

Jdog
9/1/2009, 08:58 AM
Utah sucks, and so do the jazz

They don't totally suck - They have some of the best snow skiing in the world up at Alta and Snowbird

Jdog
9/1/2009, 09:01 AM
Who's this "we" - you got a republican frog in your pocket ?

A voice from the "peoples republic of Boul........."

Jdog
9/1/2009, 09:09 AM
I watched an HBO series on mormons and Bill Paxton was the star. Bill Paxton is from Oklahoma. Tell me that ain't some weird shizzle right there.

Since when was Paxton from Oklahoma - He's a Fort Worth Boy.

Don't think he'll be at the game on Saturday though - he's having too much trouble with all of his wives.

Jdog
9/1/2009, 09:19 AM
Regarding the question about female talent: Gladys Knight is Mormon. Not sure about the Pips, though.

Thats strange - especially considering that it took a conversation between the almighty God and their Morman president 30 years ago to confirm that African Americans were people and could be allowed to play football at their University in Provo. Way to go Leval!!!!!

How many Blacks attend BYU now?????

Collier11
9/1/2009, 09:25 AM

I hear that when you are gettin it on, instead of screaming "Oh Gawd, Oh Gawd, they scream oh Joseph, oh Joseph"?

UberSooner
9/1/2009, 08:13 PM
Since when was Paxton from Oklahoma - He's a Fort Worth Boy.

Don't think he'll be at the game on Saturday though - he's having too much trouble with all of his wives.

Sorry, but there was a dude in Twister with an OU hat on. It may have been Paxton. That right there says to me he's from Oklahoma and even if he's not, i'm fairly sure he wishes he was.

Crucifax Autumn
9/1/2009, 08:30 PM
The OU cap was on the fat blonde dude.

Jdog
9/1/2009, 10:12 PM
The OU cap was on the fat blonde dude.

Philip Seymour Hoffman -

tigepilot
9/1/2009, 11:16 PM
As for female talent more generally, are there any blondes (natural) on campus yet? Granted, I come from a heavily Dutch area of a northern state, but I swear I didn't see a single natural blonde at OU, whereas ~20% of the people up here have blonde hair.

I guess there may have been a couple at OU, but I never got to give them the one test that reveals all.

I generally think people need to quit using that as a measure of 'natural'. I'm blond up top but not elsewhere. I assume it can be the same for women.

'Bleach blond' is another story... it does look different.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/1/2009, 11:20 PM
great visual. thx.

SteelCitySooner
9/1/2009, 11:30 PM
I generally think people need to quit using that as a measure of 'natural'. I'm blond up top but not elsewhere. I assume it can be the same for women.

'Bleach blond' is another story... it does look different.

How YOU doin.. ;)

gaylordfan1
9/1/2009, 11:36 PM
I'm getting off the male singles thread............. BYE gentlemen.

tigepilot
9/1/2009, 11:48 PM
great visual. thx.

How YOU doin.. ;)

I didn't know eyebrows were so bothersome for the visuals. ;) :D

SoonerCoug
9/2/2009, 12:15 AM
Thats strange - especially considering that it took a conversation between the almighty God and their Morman president 30 years ago to confirm that African Americans were people and could be allowed to play football at their University in Provo. Way to go Leval!!!!!

How many Blacks attend BYU now?????

"The Mormon president" you're referring to was my dad's uncle. Your take on what happened is slightly different from mine. It was a racist policy that shamefully lingered since the 1800s, and I'm glad it was finally done away with. If the policy were still in place, I would have renounced my membership. The policy did not allow people of African descent to hold the priesthood in the Mormon Church. However, there have always been some African-American members of the Church, and there was never a ban on African-American students attending BYU. Today about 5% of Mormons are of African descent.

The greatest irony is that early Mormons were abolitionists, and Joseph Smith did not deny the priesthood to black men. That ridiculous priesthood ban came later.

Part of the challenge in Mormonism is that it's a gerontocracy, and therefore policy changes are not as simple as they ought to be. Even at research and educational institutions where I work here in Oklahoma, there were racist bans well into the 1960s. I have been shocked to read about how African-Americans were forced to eat lunch at a separate time and place in the Oklahoma institution where I did my PhD. I never heard of such policies in Utah, but they probably didn't exist since the black population has historically been so small there. Anyway, it took the elderly men who run the Mormon Church an extra decade to finally make the changes that were taking place during the civil rights movement.

Today only Mormon males are allowed to hold the priesthood. Women speak from the pulpit and hold leadership positions, but they are not allowed to officiate in ordinances like baptism and the sacrament. I believe that eliminating sexism could be the next great policy change for Mormons.

stoopified
9/2/2009, 05:46 AM
I sthat what it is called these days?I had heard it referred to as premature happy ending,but never conversion. :)

gaylordfan1
9/2/2009, 08:05 AM
Man, playing BYU this year has def brought awareness to the Sooner nation about the Mormon church. Something I didn't see when joining this message board. Football talk anyone?

SteelClip49
9/2/2009, 08:40 AM
Does BYU have branches in Idaho and Hawaii?

Only Mormon I like is Mike Leach....what a character he is.

There was a post earlier about Mormons being hard-working, intelligent...blah blah blah. So are many other people of different denominations. Mormons just don't believe in God.

Show a Mormon a Crucifix and they cringe. I am thinking about wearing my OU Catholic shirt to the game. Stoops is Catholic as well....perhaps that will make BYU tremble :)

Blitzkrieg
9/2/2009, 08:49 AM
Another difference: Deciding which wife to take to the game.

IslandSooner
9/2/2009, 08:54 AM
FOOTBALL anyone?

SoonerCoug
9/2/2009, 11:53 AM
Does BYU have branches in Idaho and Hawaii?

Only Mormon I like is Mike Leach....what a character he is.

There was a post earlier about Mormons being hard-working, intelligent...blah blah blah. So are many other people of different denominations. Mormons just don't believe in God.

Show a Mormon a Crucifix and they cringe. I am thinking about wearing my OU Catholic shirt to the game. Stoops is Catholic as well....perhaps that will make BYU tremble :)

Yeah, they have a BYU-Idaho (http://www.byui.edu/) and a BYU-Hawaii (www.byuh.edu). They are separate institutions that are also owned by the Mormon Church (obviously). BYU-Hawaii is most famous for its polynesian cultural center. If you ever go to the north shore of Oahu, it's something you don't want to miss. Many of the performers are students, and the revenue goes to pay the costs of their education. It's consistently rated as one of the top tourist attractions in Hawaii. There are lots of Mormons in polynesia (e.g. 40% of the population of Tonga), and it's my understanding that BYU-Hawaii was primarily established to serve the needs of Mormons in Asia and the Pacific.

Cam
9/2/2009, 08:27 PM
They don't totally suck - They have some of the best snow skiing in the world up at Alta and Snowbird

Loved Alta. Snowbird, not so much.

Oh, and I've known Mormon drunkards, anti-alcohol, hot, and not so hot gals. They're full of all types like the rest of us.