PDA

View Full Version : Sam Bradford: "Why I came back to Oklahoma"

adoniijahsooner
8/31/2009, 09:18 AM
Interesting points in this article; and the end gives hope that he may come back for 2010. Sam loves Norman and his team!! Bravo Sam, just bravo.

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-football/article/2009-08-28/why-i-came-back-oklahoma

Why I came back to Oklahoma
Sooners QB Sam Bradford wants another shot at a national title
Sam Bradford, as told to Dave Curtis

Second thoughts? I haven't any, and I can honestly say that. I felt when I made my decision to come back, no matter what I decided, I was going to need to stick with that decision. Since the announcement, I haven't looked back, not one day. I'm only looking forward, trying to help the team win another Big 12 championship. And I'm on track to graduate next spring, in business, and that's something I want to have.

As far as things I've been able to do since I've been back, well, I've played a lot of golf. I might have been able to do that anyway, but I've really enjoyed playing with some of my teammates. We went out to San Diego at the end of the spring and played six rounds. One was at Torrey Pines, the South course, where Tiger won the U.S. Open in a playoff. I played not bad, not great — 78, with a double bogey at 18.

The other cool thing was getting to go down to the Davey O'Brien banquet in Fort Worth. I got to talk with Joe Theismann there, which was really cool, considering he was such a great NFL player. I don't want to reveal everything we talked about, but the big thing he hit on was what it takes to be a leader and how I needed to do anything it took if we want to be more successful at Oklahoma. For him to share his wisdom with me meant a lot.

After falling short against Florida, Bradford wants another shot at a national title.I've already talked about why I came back, but I know people are going to say, "Well, you're coming back because you guys lost to Florida." The Florida game didn't factor in at all. If you let one game totally affect your decision, your decision probably is not made on all the right factors. I didn't think about that game once when I was deciding what to do.

But now, I still think about that game from time to time. I think about all the plays that got away, some of the mistakes, and the ways we could have won that game. That game still hasn't left me. We learned that night that it all boils down to a couple of plays. It's not anything major. We just need a little better execution. It's a very thin margin between winning and losing when you have two great teams and so many great players in a game like that.

When you lose in the national championship, there are a lot of different feelings. The team accomplished a lot last year. But the biggest thing is that it is frustrating knowing how close you were to winning something that you wanted as a little kid. The only thing you want to do is get another chance at that.

So that's what we've been doing and thinking about all offseason. As a team, especially in the winter, we worked about as hard as we could. Like I said, we know what it takes to get there. This time, we want to end the season on a good note. The offense made a lot of progress. If you saw us Day No. 1 of the spring and then you watched us Day No. 15, you wouldn't have recognized us. Our timing got better, and the new guys got in and learned the system .

Our line, especially, got a lot better, and that gives everybody a lot of confidence. We had a great line last year. A great line. All those guys are going to play in the pros. So with the new guys coming in, I just wanted to get some chemistry with them. I absolutely need to trust the line. The minute you start not trusting is the minute some of your decision-making ability goes down. Instead of thinking of reads and the stuff you should be focused on, you're thinking of other stuff. That can get you in a lot of trouble. So we spent a lot of time learning how to play with one another, communicating better, and just trying to get it together for two-a-days.

I'm already getting asked about next year and whether I'm going to come out early. It doesn't matter much to me now, where I might get picked or what that might hold. Who knows what will happen by then? I know this time around, I could never really see myself leaving Norman. I was just checking things out, making sure it was the right decision. I don't know yet what the right decision will be after this season.

Jello Biafra
8/31/2009, 09:27 AM
told you guys...there is a better than average chance he will be in the backfield next year.

he has simply said too many things in his many interviews that point me towards him getting his degree and going to lawschool as his first priority. he is living the dream (that many COFL players have) and is willing to make it last as long as possible. i hope that both of my midgets are able to live the same dream.

boomersooner28
8/31/2009, 09:36 AM
The kid is special. He has a great head on his shoulders. Kudos to Mr. and Mrs. Bradford for raising such a class act.

Jello Biafra
8/31/2009, 09:37 AM
The kid is special. He has a great head on his shoulders. Kudos to Mr. and Mrs. Bradford for raising such a class act.

and coach switzer by proxy....since dad played for him.

LawtonBoy74
8/31/2009, 09:48 AM
College Football life is a lot better than the NFL if you love the fans who are diehard and will never sway on you, the town that will always stick behind you, not worrying about contracts or the next big shot rookie coming into the NFL trying to take your position...I would advise all college players to stay in college as long as possible, I hope Sam comes back next year too!!

adoniijahsooner
8/31/2009, 09:56 AM
It doesn't matter much to me now, where I might get picked

You take greed or selfishness out of your decisions, then you are truly able to do what is best for you. No one can buy and sell someone in Sam's mindset.

BoulderSooner79
8/31/2009, 10:31 AM
Gosh, compare Sam to Crabtree's current behavior - different universes.

adoniijahsooner
8/31/2009, 10:33 AM
Gosh, compare Sam to Crabtree's current behavior - different universes.

Disagree. Same universe, but different lifeforms.;)

Widescreen
8/31/2009, 10:50 AM
I don't know. If Sam has a season similar to last year and he asked me for advice (which he won't ;)), I'd tell him to go earn his money. I'd love to see him back next year but the guy is a special talent and I'd hate to see something bad happen to him before he got his big chance.

adoniijahsooner
8/31/2009, 10:53 AM
I'd tell him to go earn his money

That statement is where you would lose him.

unbiasedtruth
8/31/2009, 11:17 AM
best thing he said in the whole article....

"But now, I still think about that game from time to time. I think about all the plays that got away, some of the mistakes, and the ways we could have won that game. That game still hasn't left me. We learned that night that it all boils down to a couple of plays. It's not anything major. We just need a little better execution. It's a very thin margin between winning and losing when you have two great teams and so many great players in a game like that."

with what I read coming from other player's mouths that played in the game......

BermudaSooner
8/31/2009, 11:18 AM
And I'm on track to graduate next spring, in business, and that's something I want to have.

This is why it is unlikely he'll be back next year. He will have his degree and he can't go to law school in 1 year.

I can't wait to see how good he has gotten--this year could be very special.

En_Fuego
8/31/2009, 12:19 PM
I have been watching Sooner Football since 1965. I have saw most of the greatest Sooner Legends play at one time or another. Sam Bradford will leave as a respected Hero.

A True "Oklahoma Sooner Legend"

Crucifax Autumn
8/31/2009, 04:39 PM
He should stick around and own every single record IMO

Dan Thompson
8/31/2009, 06:00 PM
What a great bunch of quotes:

"... I still think about that game from time to time."

"I think about all the plays that got away, some of the mistakes, and the ways we could have won that game."

"That game still hasn't left me."

"We learned that night that it all boils down to a couple of plays."

"It's a very thin margin between winning and losing..."

stoopified
8/31/2009, 06:15 PM
I'd like to see Sam come back for his senior year but IMHO it doesn't seem likely.

delhalew
8/31/2009, 08:39 PM
Every time you turn around this kid impresses you.

rainiersooner
9/1/2009, 12:19 AM
We went out to San Diego at the end of the spring and played six rounds. One was at Torrey Pines, the South course, where Tiger won the U.S. Open in a playoff. I played not bad, not great — 78, with a double bogey at 18.

Ha ha. I played that course once too. For the record, a 78 is sick there. It's a real tough course.

starclassic tama
9/1/2009, 12:20 AM
who cares about his senior year at this point? let's worry about his junior year! if he wins a title this year, he can take off to the NFL no problemo. 5 days!

rainiersooner
9/1/2009, 12:22 AM
I'd like to see Sam come back for his senior year but IMHO it doesn't seem likely.

Yeah I agree. It's hard to imagine why he would. This year made a lot of sense to me. Whatever - looking forward to seeing what he can do this year.