PDA

View Full Version : BYU FOOTBALL AN EXTENSION OF LDS?

oudivesherpa
8/30/2009, 04:54 PM
BYU Football is an extension for the Moron Church (LDS)?
Recently I got banned from this board for a couple of days for making a comment about BYU that the Administrator felt should have appeared in the South Oval Section because in his opinion the comment was religious in nature. I agree that I should have been banned. The comment that I made was rude and insensitive and I apologize to anyone who I offended. For those of you who are curious the offending comment was in the Football Forum under where are all the BYU fans? My response was, “riding their bikes and hoping their underwear doesn’t chafe their butts.” That was rude and I’m sorry, but it was not a comment against their religious dogma but some of the unusual manifestations and customs.
I have many LDS friends and I have done substantial Real Estate transactions in Utah during my career and never have I experienced anything but honorable and fair dealings with members of the LDS church. My youngest son is about to marry a BYU fan and this has caused me some concern (Mixed Marriage Post of 8/30/09) but I am resigned to welcoming her into the family.
However, BYU is unlike any other major college in the United States. Notre Dame, Baylor, SMU, Boston College, none of these schools claim to be an extension of their religion. However, if one reads the BYU code of conduct below, one can see that it expressly stated that BYU and BYU activities including football, are an extension of the Church of Latter Day Saints. Excerpts of the BYU code of conduct are listed below.

“Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University—Hawaii, Brigham Young University—Idaho, and LDS Business College exist to provide an education in an atmosphere consistent with the ideals and principles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That atmosphere is created and preserved through commitment to conduct that reflects those ideals and principles. Members of the faculty, administration, staff, and student body at BYU, BYU—Hawaii, BYU—Idaho, and LDSBC are selected and retained from among those who voluntarily live the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Observance of such is a specific condition of employment and admission. Those individuals who are not members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are also expected to maintain the same standards of conduct, except church attendance. All who represent BYU, BYU—Hawaii, BYU—Idaho, and LDSBC are to maintain the highest standards of honor, integrity, morality, and consideration of others in personal behavior. By accepting appointment on the faculty, continuing in employment, or continuing class enrollment, individuals evidence their commitment to observe the Honor Code standards approved by the Board of Trustees "at all times and . . . in all places" (Mosiah 18:9).

Honor Code Statement
We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men. . . . If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things (Thirteenth Article of Faith).
As a matter of personal commitment, faculty, administration, staff, and students of Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University—Hawaii, Brigham Young University—Idaho, and LDS Business College seek to demonstrate in daily living on and off campus those moral virtues encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and will
Be honest
Live a chaste and virtuous life
Obey the law and all campus policies
Use clean language
Respect others
Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
Participate regularly in church services
Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards
Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code
Specific policies embodied in the Honor Code include (1) the Academic Honesty Policy, (2) the Dress and Grooming Standards, (3) the Residential Living Standards, and (4) the Continuing Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement. (Refer to institutional policies for more detailed information.)
Dress and Grooming Standards
The dress and grooming of both men and women should always be modest, neat, and clean, consistent with the dignity adherent to representing The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and any of its institutions of higher education.
Modesty and cleanliness are important values that reflect personal dignity and integrity, through which students, staff, and faculty represent the principles and standards of the Church. Members of the BYU community commit themselves to observe the following standards, which reflect the direction of the Board of Trustees and the Church publication For the Strength of Youth. The Dress and Grooming Standards are as follows:
Men
A clean and well-cared-for appearance should be maintained. Clothing is inappropriate when it is sleeveless, revealing, or form fitting. Shorts must be knee-length or longer. Hairstyles should be clean and neat, avoiding extreme styles or colors, and trimmed above the collar, leaving the ear uncovered. Sideburns should not extend below the earlobe or onto the cheek. If worn, moustaches should be neatly trimmed and may not extend beyond or below the corners of the mouth. Men are expected to be clean-shaven; beards are not acceptable. Earrings and other body piercing are not acceptable. Shoes should be worn in all public campus areas.
Women
A clean and well-cared-for appearance should be maintained. Clothing is inappropriate when it is sleeveless, strapless, backless, or revealing; has slits above the knee; or is form fitting. Dresses, skirts, and shorts must be knee-length or longer. Hairstyles should be clean and neat, avoiding extremes in styles or colors. Excessive ear piercing (more than one per ear) and all other body piercing are not acceptable. Shoes should be worn in all public campus areas.”

While my comment was in poor taste and I’m sorry it was offensive to some, but as you can from see BYU’s code of conduct that there is virtually no separation from the LDS church, to BYU to BYU football. In conclusion, if there is no separation from the LDS church, then good natured ribbing about some of their practices should be allowed on the football board.

royalfan5
8/30/2009, 04:59 PM
Do you know what I've always thought was a sweet description? Tilting at Windmills.

Okla-homey
8/30/2009, 05:08 PM
BYU is a world-class private university administered by the LDS church. No?

Therefore, it really shouldn't matter what they expect of students in terms of required behaviors, dress and comportment. Frankly, isn't that the reason our pilgrim forebears traveled to these shores in the first place?

SicEmBaylor
8/30/2009, 05:27 PM
This is flat-out retarded.

GottaHavePride
8/30/2009, 05:46 PM
Yep. BYU is right in there with Notre Dame, Boston College, Baylor, ORU, and a whole crap-ton of other universities.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/30/2009, 07:50 PM
The problem was there was a thread already filled with moronic statements and people had been told repeatedly to cut it out....

and then you come in and posted your comment after all these warnings....

JohnnyMack
8/30/2009, 08:07 PM
Yes.

OklahomaTuba
8/30/2009, 08:37 PM
In conclusion, if there is no separation from the LDS church, then good natured ribbing about some of their practices should be allowed on the football board.So does this mean you will be making some "good natured ribbing" about some schools that aren't Morman such as the the jewish or black colleges?? Or will you be reserving your bigotry to only those of the Morman faith???

yermom
8/30/2009, 08:49 PM
does this mean we can't laugh at Touchdown Jesus anymore?

tommieharris91
8/30/2009, 08:58 PM
does this mean we can't laugh at Touchdown Jesus anymore?

I thought laughing at Tim Tebow would cause the Inquisitors to come to your door...

setem
8/31/2009, 01:00 AM
So if dudes cannot wear form fitting clothing does that mean they cant wear performance shirts under their unis?

What about their uniforms in general. Football uniforms are not what they used to be. Jerseys get smaller and smaller and pants get tighter and tighter...just saying. Oh and this is a tard thread!

def_lazer_fc
8/31/2009, 01:15 AM
What about their uniforms in general. Football uniforms are not what they used to be. Jerseys get smaller and smaller and pants get tighter and tighter...just saying. Oh and this is a tard thread!

and yet basketball unis are the complete opposite. wrap your mind around that one

C&CDean
8/31/2009, 07:58 AM
I wasn't offended by the post in the football forum. I ain't mormon, and I also think some of their "beliefs and practices" are weird. However, we did shut other threads over there that were just mormon bashing in nature. When I closed them (and banned you) it was because I had asked that you keep the religion stuff over here on the SO.

Starting this thread over here kinda smacks of whining about moderation I'm thinking. Say "I think mormons/jews/catholics/baptists/and especially atheists are all ****ed up" on the SO and I'm good with it. Whining about getting a couple days off for not exercising common sense on the football board? Not so much.

Besides, mormons are easy targets. It doesn't take any creativity to find something to rib them about. Just don't do it over there, and don't whine about it over here.