PDA

View Full Version : Kenndey's death got me to thinking

OUHOMER
8/30/2009, 10:36 AM
I see all these politicians and listening to their agendas to help the poor. But i sit back and see J. Kerry, pelosi, and Kennedy himself etc. And I wonder how do these guys have a clue as to what the poor, and middle class need?

they are so rich, and all have a silver spoon in the mouth, and no way they would ever be on my level of wondering how I am i going to pay for whatever.

Do they really care? Not trying to knock any of them, but do they really care?

I guess it would be hard to get votes if they tired to stand up for the rich or even middle class. But to them I think the middle class are the poor?

rant over.. carry on.

Crucifax Autumn
8/30/2009, 10:54 AM
Do they all truly understand? Probably not. But through the guidance of religion, study of sociology and the accompamying issues, meeting with voters, participating in community events, etc. just might give them somewhat of an idea what somepeople face in their day to day lives.

I think it's pretty much required to be a successful politician on either side.

OUHOMER
8/30/2009, 10:57 AM
Do they all truly understand? Probably not. But through the guidance of religion, study of sociology and the accompamying issues, meeting with voters, participating in community events, etc. just might give them somewhat of an idea what somepeople face in their day to day lives.

I think it's pretty much required to be a successful politician on either side.

good point, i guess they do have ears:D

LosAngelesSooner
8/30/2009, 11:20 AM
Wouldn't that thought apply to almost ANY politician?

The Bush family ain't exactly hurtin' for cash, no matter how much brush they clear for the cameras.

I think it comes down to who their constituency is. If their votes/money comes from big business, then that's who they are most likely beholden to from a policy level. If their votes/money comes from small donations and individuals, then the same probably holds true.

Either way...you still can't trust any of the mother****ers. :D

JLEW1818
8/30/2009, 11:33 AM
thats the whole point of being a democrat politician, you have to try and get the poor and uneducated vote to win

olevetonahill
8/30/2009, 11:48 AM
good point, i guess they do have ears:D

Normally with Nothing between em.

LosAngelesSooner
8/30/2009, 11:50 AM
thats the whole point of being a democrat politician, you have to try and get the poor and uneducated vote to win
*ahem*

Look at voter statistics/education level in the rural south and "farm belt area" (stretching from Texas to North Dakota) and then say that the Republicans don't ALSO have to get the "poor and uneducated" votes to win.

Then ask yourself...HOW does each party go about it.

The Democratic Party tries to institute policies that are friendly towards those who are poor or uneducated, much to the consternation of the wealthier top 1% of our population. They usually do so by creating government run programs ("Nanny State" programs, as they are often described) which help the poor gain access to food and medicine and shelter as well as job placement assistance, educational assistance and income/wages loss compensation for the unemployed. Whether this is "right" or "wrong" is for another debate, I'm merely stating that this is the technique the Democratic Party uses to woo THEIR base of poor and uneducated voters.

How do you think the Republican Party appeals to THEIR equally large base of poor and uneducated voters?

Also, for the basis of this post I want to make it clear that POOR < > UNEDUCATED.

JohnnyMack
8/30/2009, 11:55 AM
What's the matter with Kansas?

LosAngelesSooner
8/30/2009, 11:56 AM
*ding* *ding* *ding*

We have a winner.

yermom
8/30/2009, 11:57 AM
the poor are the vast majority of the country

Republicans just try and make sure they are worried about guns, abortion and gays to not worry about how their policies are going to make them more poor

while the Dems promise them they will pay they mortgages or something

Harry Beanbag
8/30/2009, 12:08 PM
The most important thing to understand when studying politics is that the number one goal of a politician is to get reelected. Nothing else comes close. The biggest flaw of the Constitution IMO is the lack of Congressional term limits.

Veritas
8/30/2009, 12:10 PM
This country's definition of "poor" is quite different from "poor" in other countries.l

LosAngelesSooner
8/30/2009, 01:54 PM
This country's definition of "poor" is quite different from "poor" in other countries.lAbsolutely.

For the most part.

JLEW1818
8/30/2009, 01:59 PM
just listen to LAS, he knows best

GrapevineSooner
8/30/2009, 02:08 PM
No, he's on the money with this remark.

The poor people of some third world countries would LOVE to be "poor" here.

LosAngelesSooner
8/30/2009, 02:11 PM
just listen to LAS, he knows bestYou would do well to take your own sarcasm seriously, kid.

JLEW1818
8/30/2009, 02:12 PM
i wouldn't know he's on my ignore list

my south oval is way better without his comments!!!

Turd_Ferguson
8/30/2009, 02:17 PM
i wouldn't know he's on my ignore list

my south oval is way better without his comments!!!werd. Kid.:D

LosAngelesSooner
8/30/2009, 08:45 PM
weird Kid.:DFixed. :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/31/2009, 02:41 AM
I would put JLew on Ignore, but then half the post on the board would be invisible to me ;)

walkoffsooner
8/31/2009, 08:27 AM
I have it made I vote with out looking at party.

MrJimBeam
8/31/2009, 11:18 AM
What's the matter with Kansas?

I read that book, dude couldn't figure out the concept of individualism.

JohnnyMack
8/31/2009, 11:28 AM
I read that book, dude couldn't figure out the concept of individualism.

The main thrust to me was more about how the Republican party plays more on emotional issues as opposed to focusing on issues that should matter to a voting block that is by and large working and middle class.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/31/2009, 12:18 PM
The poor don't vote by and large, so they may benefit but are not the true target of the programs for the poor. The main targets are the suburban soccer moms who want to feel good about themselves by voting for politicians that are "doing something" for the poor.

The war on poverty has done nothing short of destroying the inner cities and creating generations of government dependents, but the suburbanites and go to bed feeling good about themselves knowing that they're taxing the rich and giving it to the poor.

badger
8/31/2009, 01:01 PM
Anyone ever watch Malcolm in the Middle?

The series finale, when Malcolm finally graduates from high school to head off to college has lots of angry mom action and brotherly fighting, of course.

However, the pinacle of the story was Malcolm's mother turning down a lucrative job offer for Malcolm to start after high school graduation to the tune of six figures. Malcolm is furious - she's ruining his life again!

Malcolm's mother, in her scolding voice, tells Malcolm that he is going to go to Harvard while working random jobs to stay afloat and after working as hard as he can and never having enough money for anything he will become president of the United States.

Malcolm's all like "But what if I don't want to be president?!"

Malcolm's mom: Oh yes, you WILL be president because you'll the be the only one that can understand what people like us have to deal with!

Malcolm: Did you ever think about how if I took this job, I could get rich and become president that way?

Mom: Yes, but you wouldn't be the right type of president!

I loved this series and the ending was just perfect. The first post reminded me of that :D

stoopified
9/1/2009, 05:14 PM
Do they all truly understand? Probably not. But through the guidance of religion, study of sociology and the accompamying issues, meeting with voters, participating in community events, etc. just might give them somewhat of an idea what somepeople face in their day to day lives.Yeah and I can watch Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous so I know what it is like to be rich.The whole I KNOW WHAT THE POOR AND MIDDLECLASS ARE GOING THROUGH attitude of politicians is tutal BULLSH!T.The only politicians who could pssibly understand are those who have been poor or middleclass.Understanding this issue is a lot understanding pregnancy or understanding what it is to be blind,IF YOU HAVEN"T BEEN THERE,YOU DON"T KNOW.

StoopTroup
9/1/2009, 06:26 PM
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/-/A/bush_clark_silverspoon.jpg