PDA

View Full Version : Heisman Park

StoopTroup
8/29/2009, 10:12 AM
Have they completed or even held an event honoring Sam's likeness in Heisman Park yet?

If not...any idea when they will?

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/29/2009, 10:14 AM
My guess would be that they probably won't as long as he's still a student. Seems like it'd just be awkward for Sam to walk down Jenkins past a statue of himself. And I'm SURE there's some NCAA regulation against having statues of current players on campus.

StoopTroup
8/29/2009, 10:16 AM
So in other words...you don't know either. :D ;)

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/29/2009, 10:18 AM
I know it ain't there yet! :D ;)

stoopified
8/29/2009, 10:24 AM
ISchool says no statue for Sam until he is gone. I guess it is like not putting someone in the Hall of Fame while they are still playing.I wouldn't be surprised if they already have the design though.

StoopTroup
8/29/2009, 10:24 AM
Just thinking a bit about it though and given that he could potentially win a 2nd Heisman this year and be the 2nd guy ever to win two Heisman Trophies...it would seem pre-mature to do a Statue of him at this point.

kelloggOUballa
8/29/2009, 10:34 AM
If Sam won three Hesimans, would he get three statues?

StoopTroup
8/29/2009, 11:14 AM
If Sam won three Hesimans, would he get three statues?

That's kind of the point I was trying to make...

One Statue is gonna be enough...

The more I think about it...it would be awesome to see him win it and a NC this year...alas...I know...one game at a time.

badger
8/29/2009, 11:22 AM
To add to this non-informed discussion, more non-informed information:

:D

The Heisman Park was a Centennial Commission project that was offered to both OU and OSU to commission Oklahoma-based artists to sculpt the state's Heisman winners.

OSU declined :D

The Centennial has been finished for nearly three years now (2007 doesn't seem that long ago, does it?), your small Oklahoma town probably has a brand new ancient-looking Centennial clock somewhere if you have a representative that got you one. Your larger Oklahoma town probably has even more (Tulsa has a botanical garden to the tune of $40 mil, for example)... but, the Heisman Park was Centennial also.

Thus, maybe they're waiting for another state milestone before putting up Sammie and our 2009 Heisman winner's likeness?

bent rider
8/29/2009, 03:53 PM
To add to this non-informed discussion, more non-informed information:

The Heisman Park was a Centennial Commission project that was offered to both OU and OSU to commission Oklahoma-based artists to sculpt the state's Heisman winners.

Well that is how the creative financing was done for the original Heisman Park, but I am very sure that Joe Castiglione would have some plan to fund Sam's statue(s?) when the time is right. I am similarly uninformed on exactly when and how.

SoonerSoph
8/29/2009, 04:13 PM
And I'm SURE there's some NCAA regulation against having statues of current players on campus.

What about plaques with a current player's speech on your stadium? ;)

CK Sooner
8/29/2009, 04:14 PM
What about plaques with a current player's speech on your stadium? ;)

They made an exception!

OKC-SLC
8/29/2009, 04:51 PM
Rules don't apply to Jesus.

StoopTroup
8/29/2009, 05:37 PM
Rules don't apply to Tesus.

Fixed.

Rhino
8/29/2009, 10:39 PM
Jason's didn't get dedicated until he had moved on from OU.

No reason to think Sam's will be any different.

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/29/2009, 10:40 PM
Jason had already been gone for a year before the first statue (Vessels) even went up.