PDA

View Full Version : Yet another example of the greatness of Ted Kennedy...

OklahomaTuba
8/28/2009, 02:02 PM
Never heard of this before. I wonder if Teddy and Andropov shared any good chappaquiddic jokes while plotting against Reagan???

On 9-10 May of this year," the May 14 memorandum explained, "Sen. Edward Kennedy's close friend and trusted confidant [John] Tunney was in Moscow." (Tunney was Kennedy's law school roommate and a former Democratic senator from California.) "The senator charged Tunney to convey the following message, through confidential contacts, to the General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, Y. Andropov."
Kennedy's message was simple. He proposed an unabashed quid pro quo. Kennedy would lend Andropov a hand in dealing with President Reagan. In return, the Soviet leader would lend the Democratic Party a hand in challenging Reagan in the 1984 presidential election. "The only real potential threats to Reagan are problems of war and peace and Soviet-American relations," the memorandum stated. "These issues, according to the senator, will without a doubt become the most important of the election campaign."

Kennedy made Andropov a couple of specific offers.

First he offered to visit Moscow. "The main purpose of the meeting, according to the senator, would be to arm Soviet officials with explanations regarding problems of nuclear disarmament so they may be better prepared and more convincing during appearances in the USA." Kennedy would help the Soviets deal with Reagan by telling them how to brush up their propaganda.

Then he offered to make it possible for Andropov to sit down for a few interviews on American television. "A direct appeal ... to the American people will, without a doubt, attract a great deal of attention and interest in the country. ... If the proposal is recognized as worthy, then Kennedy and his friends will bring about suitable steps to have representatives of the largest television companies in the USA contact Y.V. Andropov for an invitation to Moscow for the interviews. ... The senator underlined the importance that this initiative should be seen as coming from the American side."

Kennedy would make certain the networks gave Andropov air time--and that they rigged the arrangement to look like honest journalism.

"Tunney remarked that the senator wants to run for president in 1988," the memorandum continued. "Kennedy does not discount that during the 1984 campaign, the Democratic Party may officially turn to him to lead the fight against the Republicans and elect their candidate president."http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/27/ted-kennedy-soviet-union-ronald-reagan-opinions-columnists-peter-robinson.html

Oldnslo
8/28/2009, 02:20 PM
See, the only time you can kick somebody is when they're down. Or dead.

Yeah, let's go with dead.

OklahomaTuba
8/28/2009, 02:25 PM
See, the only time you can kick somebody is when they're down. Or dead.Didn't seem to stop Teddy. he really enjoyed those Mary Jo jokes it seems.

Just really surprised by this. Amazing what this guy got away with.

49r
8/28/2009, 02:26 PM
Ah, so two wrongs make a right then, eh?

OklahomaTuba
8/28/2009, 02:29 PM
Ah, so two wrongs make a right then, eh?Since when is looking back at someone's life a wrong???

I mean, if we're going to be forced to spend trillions to pay for ChappaquiddiCare, in order to honor his memory, shouldn't people know what kind of wonderful human being the man was???

batonrougesooner
8/28/2009, 02:32 PM
Almost sounds like treason. Actually forget the almost.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/28/2009, 02:37 PM
I only had a couple of thoughts when I heard "Teddy" died:

1.) About damn time, good riddance.

2.) Is he the last of 'em, or is there still one holdout left to shoot?

KC//CRIMSON
8/28/2009, 02:40 PM

3.) I wonder if I'll enjoy hell?

heh.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/28/2009, 02:42 PM

you gonna make a tailgate this year you big bastard?

Harry Beanbag
8/28/2009, 03:40 PM
Almost sounds like treason. Actually forget the almost.

Yep.

85Sooner
8/28/2009, 03:46 PM
and he was the leader of what group that is currently in power and wants to follow in his image?

The guy would have sold his own mother. Good riddence.

LosAngelesSooner
8/28/2009, 03:49 PM
Tuba needs to be banned for a couple of weeks to cool off. He's really gone off the deep end lately and this thread may be his crowning achievement of bad taste.

Howzit
8/28/2009, 04:01 PM
Let's ban Forbes magazine while we're at it.

KABOOKIE
8/28/2009, 04:12 PM
Tuba needs to be banned for a couple of weeks to cool off. He's really gone off the deep end lately and this thread may be his crowning achievement of bad taste.

If cut and pasting a link is the new standard for baneishment then you've got about 9,126 weeks off coming.

Harry Beanbag
8/28/2009, 04:22 PM
Sadly, it appears Senator Kennedy has been permabanned.

KABOOKIE
8/28/2009, 04:25 PM
That treacherous bastard. But, bye golly he stood up for the common man and did what’s right for humanity.

StoopTroup
8/28/2009, 06:43 PM
Hey Tuba. When we find out where they are actually going to bury him you can go there and **** on his grave too.

Damn Dude...lol

MR2-Sooner86
8/28/2009, 06:44 PM
I hear they buried him 12 feet under instead of the normal six. I guess deep down he's a good person ;)

Yup, I'm on track for that CEO position in Hell.