PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Lofton

Breadburner
8/28/2009, 12:45 PM
That’s how the Falcons linebacker saw it last season when, as a rookie, he was waved off the field in third-down situations.

“In college, I never came off the field,” Lofton said. “Coming off the field on third downs, to me, that was a slap in the face. I just used that as motivation and tried to improve.

“At the end of last year, it was a devastating [playoff] loss to Arizona. I wasn’t out there as much as I’d like. So, going into the offseason, I had the mind-set that I was going to do whatever it takes so that I could be an every-down linebacker.”

The exclusion from third-down situations was only personal to Lofton. The 2008 second-round pick out of Oklahoma understood the reason for the substitutions. Learning the Falcons’ defensive system was a daunting task, especially for a position as demanding as middle linebacker.

“We have a hectic package on third downs,” Lofton said. “That was a lot to handle. The coaches didn’t want to put all that on me and overload me. After going through a complete season and learning it and now coming into this season, I’m ready for it.”

Lofton is getting help from an 11-year veteran, from someone who has played his position before and from his training camp roommate — all in one. The Falcons signed linebacker Mike Peterson as a free agent in the offseason.

“When you are coming to a new team, you wonder how are guys going to accept you,” Peterson said. “[Lofton] looked at it as a ‘Big Bro’ type of thing. That has a lot to do with why the fit has been so smooth. There haven’t been any problems and there are not going to be any problems in the future.

“You have a young guy that’s willing to listen and I know how the game is played. He’s the future. I’m trying to tell I’m everything that I know.”

Despite sitting out third downs, Lofton had 108 tackles last season, second among NFL rookies, according to Stats Inc. He had 67 solo tackles with one forced fumble and was named to the 2008 All-Rookie team by Sporting News and Pro Football Weekly.

There is room for improvement and Lofton knows it. Still, it comes down to one issue. Lofton said he wants to improve his blitzing ability and pass coverage. Why?

“I want to be out there on third downs,” he said.

Lofton is getting a chance in the preseason.

“We are giving Curtis the opportunity to be our backer in our sub-package,” coach Mike Smith said. “He’s done a good job up until this point but we still have two games to evaluate that. We have a lot of tape on him in terms of what he was able to do as a base linebacker. He’s learning the sub-linebacker position. I think he’s done a nice job up until this point.”

Lofton had a plan during the offseason. Naturally, he lifted weights and hired a meal service in an attempt to reduce his body fat. However, it was the time he spent watching film and studying his playbook that may help the most.

“I had to better know where I’m supposed to be and what I’m supposed to do,” Lofton said.

While working to increase his playing time, Lofton has taken on the role as one of the Falcons’ leaders. The team lost five defensive starters from last season, including veterans Keith Brooking and Lawyer Milloy.

“As a rookie, you haven’t earned anybody’s respect,” he said. “You have to sit on your hands and play and lead by example. Now I’m in my second year, you still have to lead by example and earn the respect of my teammates. If they don’t respect you, then whatever you say, they don’t care. So I think I have the respect of my teammates and whenever I need to say something, I can say it.”

E-Town
8/28/2009, 12:50 PM
Nice

JLEW1818
8/28/2009, 01:02 PM
would have been nice to have him last year

BoulderSooner79
8/28/2009, 01:05 PM
^This. Talk about a great subject for "what if". But I'm just looking forward to next Saturday instead :)

JLEW1818
8/28/2009, 01:14 PM
yup, can't look back

sooneron
8/28/2009, 01:18 PM
Jlew is a beer half full kind of guy.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/28/2009, 01:25 PM
jlew still prefers Dick over Johnson

JLEW1818
8/28/2009, 01:33 PM
basically, but i think Clapp is better

stoops the eternal pimp
8/28/2009, 01:42 PM
A backfield with Dick and Clapp would be dangerous...It would have Nutt burning up probably

badger
8/28/2009, 01:49 PM
Lofton is the man, he's #40!

... oh wait, sorry, that was the college version. Here's the new, revised professional version:

Lofton is the man, he's #50!

:D make Sooner Nation proud, Curtis!

sooneron
8/28/2009, 03:37 PM
A backfield with Dick and Clapp would be dangerous...It would have Nutt burning up probably

I would bet Dick would be burning more than Nutt if he had Clapp.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/28/2009, 03:38 PM
jlew said if he was starting at center, he would always prefer the shorter Dick to the long, lanky Johnson

Jello Biafra
8/28/2009, 03:43 PM
jlew said if he was starting at center, he would always prefer the shorter Dick to the long, lanky Johnson

regardless of the player in the mix, he just loves men getting all up in his chili sauce...

Johnny Utah
8/28/2009, 05:50 PM
Good thread ... although I didn't see it referenced that was from a very recent article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution. I live in the Atlanta area and from my perspective the Falcons owner, GM, HC and community is firmly behind #50. As we all know he beat out several veterans to start at MLB last season as a rookie, and performed above expectations. The Falcons (which have turned out to be a class organization from top to bottom) are looking at Mr. Lofton to hopefully anchor its defense for a long time, and as both a Sooner as well as a Falcon fan I hope so too :) .