PDA

View Full Version : Jim Leavitt taking heat for voting OU 1 Uf 2

adoniijahsooner
8/28/2009, 08:47 AM
Wow. I guess no one is allowed an opinion unless they Florida is the greatest.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/1958/leavitt-explains-his-top-25-ballot

Leavitt explains his Top 25 ballot

August 27, 2009 11:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Brian Bennett

South Florida coach Jim Leavitt was the first one to reveal his Top 25 ballot after Sports Illustrated filed open records requests seeking them. Leavitt has taken some grief on the Internet for some of his choices, including ranking Oklahoma No. 1 and his own Bulls 18th.

Leavitt talked about his voting process after practice last night, and you can watch the video of the interview here. Here are a few highlights:

On putting the Bulls' 18th, much higher than their actual rank:
"If you don't vote your team up high, then your team doesn't think much of you. I think they're a pretty good team, so I think we've got a chance to do some good things. ... I think most coaches out there know it's the preseason. Until you play, you don't really know how good teams are, so you take an estimated guess.

"I apologized to the team that I didn't put 'em up higher. They were on me about it. They said 'Coach, 18? C'mon.' I said 'I'm sorry. I apologize.' I like that attitude. They want to win and they expect to win. The bottom line is what you do on the field."

On picking Oklahoma over Florida for No. 1:

"The SEC's tough. I think it's probably one of the tougher conferences out there in the country. To go through that and to become a national champion two years in a row, that's a lot of pressure on Florida. That was the only thing -- when you're the guy, trying to repeat as national champions, that's asking an awful lot. ... I did pick Florida No. 2. It's not like I put them down at the bottom. ... Do I give it to OU because I know Bob [Stoops] so well? No, I try to stay away from that, but I don't think anybody will believe me."

There is really no right or wrong in a preseason ballot -- who's to say the Bulls won't be a Top 25-team this year? -- so this is more amusing than anything else. If Leavitt were to continue voting much differently than anyone else after the actual results come in, then he would have some real explaining to do.

badger
8/28/2009, 08:56 AM
Meh, that Norman reporter took some grief for voting Colt McCoy for the Heisman too... the difference is that Jim Leavitt, South Florida's perennial ADD coach, didn't really seek a lot of attention for it.

I don't think he should take any heat for doing anything out of the ordinary... I mean, consider who we're talking about here.

http://www.jimleavittmustgo.com/images/JimLeavitt.jpg

I hope So Flo has more Thursday/Friday nat'l telly games so we can watch nothing but Jimmy's face :D

jumperstop
8/28/2009, 09:41 AM
People are crazy about flordia and tim tebow...

yermom
8/28/2009, 09:54 AM
i think i'm more concerned about this FOIA request

that's awesome, SI :D

i don't really like his reasoning though. is the poll a guess on relative strength of the team or a prediction of how they will do at the end of the year? he's basically saying that OU has an easier road and should end up ahead of Florida for that reason. that's always going to be at odds with the computers unless you start dropping teams that win their games

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/28/2009, 09:58 AM
Nice to see the same tactics are alive and well in college football as they are in politics. If you don't for so and so candidate, you are wrong. No one is able to have an opinion anymore. First it was Spurrier, and now this. Come on people, not everyone has to agree on the same thing.

badger
8/28/2009, 09:59 AM
The FOIA request, eh? You can read more on it here. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/08/25/coaches-ballots/index.html)

Some might fight it, others might not... keep in mind that private institution coaches, like So Cal, Notre Dame, Boston College, Baylor, etc won't be subject to this.

soonerspudman
8/28/2009, 10:18 AM
Nice to see the same tactics are alive and well in college football as they are in politics. If you don't for so and so candidate, you are wrong. No one is able to have an opinion anymore. First it was Spurrier, and now this. Come on people, not everyone has to agree on the same thing.

Hear that, no different than MSNBC media dicks and Obamacare, if you have a differing opinion you're a brainless moron.

Fraggle145
8/28/2009, 10:23 AM
So what did Bob's ballot say?

badger
8/28/2009, 10:36 AM
So what did Bob's ballot say?

My guess is OU lawyers are trying to figure out if they can find a way to keep this secret ballot a secret ballot instead of giving in right away like a tiny program such as South Florida has to.

Widescreen
8/28/2009, 11:12 AM
he's basically saying that OU has an easier road and should end up ahead of Florida for that reason. that's always going to be at odds with the computers unless you start dropping teams that win their games
Well, this is a human poll so I'm sure he doesn't care what the computers will think.

unbiasedtruth
8/28/2009, 11:19 AM
personally I like seeing their votes public. any critizism given it only takes a short 2 worded response I think as a reply to suffice the critizism. Its their vote, what they think that week. dont question them over it or chastise them for what they think.....

Clever Trevor
8/28/2009, 11:21 AM
He should be questioned, UFla is the reigning champ and should be considered as such until they are defeated.

badger
8/28/2009, 11:21 AM
Here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=8#5896) is more info.

I'll use this thread if I see any more votes become public... we'll see.

MamaMia
8/28/2009, 11:33 AM
Most coaches are bias and vote with an agenda. This is why I really don't believe that they should have a vote in the BCS standings. At best their votes should be made public so that they're accountable for their actions. Take Bobby Bowden for example. He has an unhealthy dislike for Coach Stoops and always votes OU at least 7 teams lower than what makes sense.

He should be questioned, UFla is the reigning champ and should be considered as such until they are defeated.
They have all their players coming back? :confused:

goingoneight
8/28/2009, 02:07 PM
They're #1 and #2 for crying out loud. IN THE PRESEASON!!!

Just like Spurrier's All-SEC card, Leavitt is being flamed for an OPINION... IN THE PRESEASON!

Could you maybe conceal your Florida erection, media members? Geez... if you debut in the top 2... You have the exact same road to the MNC as the #1 picked team. Win your games.

AlbqSooner
8/28/2009, 02:42 PM
Leavitt is an INDIVIDUAL. He left K State and went to USF to begin the program. He was an assistant at K State with Stoops et al. After building USF into a respectable program, he was offered the Bama job. Told em no thanks, he came to Tampa to make USF a winner and he was not finished with the job there. You have to respect the man for that.

ictsooner7
8/28/2009, 04:17 PM
He should have just told 'em - go f yourself.

soonerloyal
8/28/2009, 04:48 PM

Florida is the champion of LAST YEAR's CFB season. Different season, different teams all across the board. I ain't drinkin' the koolaid they're pouring.

gaylordfan1
8/28/2009, 04:51 PM
Jim Leavitt looks like the little kid from Malcom in the middle. Ha Ha. Wasn't he next in line if Stoops didn't take the OU job? BTW, who is he getting the flack from? Does it even matter? I like us being 3rd. Sneak attack to #1!

Crucifax Autumn
8/28/2009, 09:30 PM
If I was him I'd be a smartass and hand in my next ballot with FU ranked in every slot from 1-25.

Of course then he'd catch hell for each of the 2-25 votes.

Clever Trevor
8/28/2009, 09:45 PM
Florida is the champion of LAST YEAR's CFB season. Different season, different teams all across the board. I ain't drinkin' the koolaid they're pouring.

What I said was hardly any different than what Stoops said.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/28/2009, 10:05 PM
Oh, Trevor, welcome back, we sure missed your daring insights into football. How is Nebraska-Omaha doing?

Eielson
8/28/2009, 10:10 PM

Technically they were defeated last year. Just sayin...