PDA

View Full Version : Yes!!! Dejuan Miller finally stepping up according to Practice Report.

adoniijahsooner
8/28/2009, 08:13 AM
This is such good news for this team, the guy is 6'6 and 225lbs.

"Dejuan has had a great week," Norvell said. "The last week and a half, he's made a lot of plays. He's playing big. That's what you're looking for. The guy is almost 6-6. We've been waiting to see him play big, and he's done that the last week and a half. He's just getting momentum and confidence, so we're excited to see him play next week in live situations."

Norvell also said he sees freshman Jaz Reynolds getting to play "if he continues to play like he's practiced. He can vertically stretch the field. He's a very smart kid, which allows him to improve quickly. And when you have a guy like Sam Bradford, if you have people getting in the right spots, he's going to find them."

Kevin Wilson also said that James Hanna will be in on some 5 wideout or one back sets.

"James has a chance to complement Jermaine because Jermaine will get a little gassed in some of the games, as fast as (the offense) goes," said Kevin Wilson, the Sooners' offensive coordinator and tight ends coach. "Initially, I thought we might redshirt him, but he's probably receiver number five or six on our team as far as making plays.

In some of our spread, one-back sets you'll see tight ends out there, and that'll be James and Jermaine."

So on any given play you can have James Hanna, Jermaine Gresham, Dejaun Miller, and Broyles and Pooh in at the same time. This team is so freaking deep and versatile it's starting to give me...well I wont disclose, but I hope we are in for a treat this year. Also, check out the new drills they are doing.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090828_92_B3_hPosit134263

Practice Report: Oklahoma

Ryan Broyles
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
Published: 8/28/2009 2:31 AM
Last Modified: 8/28/2009 5:55 AM

Position update
Wide receiver

Coach Jay Norvell says he's finally sold on Ryan Broyles. But the other positions are still being fought for, and it's likely they will change throughout the season.

Norvell's favorite this week might be sophomore Dejuan Miller.

"Dejuan has had a great week," Norvell said. "The last week and a half, he's made a lot of plays. He's playing big. That's what you're looking for. The guy is almost 6-6. We've been waiting to see him play big, and he's done that the last week and a half. He's just getting momentum and confidence, so we're excited to see him play next week in live situations."

Norvell also said he sees freshman Jaz Reynolds getting to play "if he continues to play like he's practiced. He can vertically stretch the field. He's a very smart kid, which allows him to improve quickly. And when you have a guy like Sam Bradford, if you have people getting in the right spots, he's going to find them."
News and notes
New strategy: OU coaches have employed a new tactic this preseason that figures to help a bunch against a solid program like BYU.

"About 15 minutes before each practice, we actually have the 1 offense and the 1 defense," said senior offensive lineman Brian Simmons. "One day, it'll be the 1 offense and (the defense) will do blitz schemes that our offensive coaches want to see. And other days, we'll do fronts that coach (Brent) Venables wants to see. That's something new we've been doing this year, and I think it's going to help us out."

Shoe contract: Wide receiver Cameron Kenney has taken lots of kidding about practicing in soccer shoes — mostly from his coach. It's only gotten worse.

"He blew a pair out the other day," Norvell said. "I try to stay away from that subject. It's kind of a sore subject for me."

Norvell explained his disapproval of wearing soccer shoes to football, then reasoned why it might be OK for Kenney.

"They're not used to running in an aggressive manner and having physical play," Norvell said. "They're not quite used to football. I think he'll be able to wear them as long as we can tolerate him in them. Brad, our equipment guy, absolutely hates it. But he is kicking a little bit. He's got to feel comfortable kicking, too. He's winning the battle right now, but the season's young"

Watch this: Defensive tackle Gerald McCoy is on the preseason watch lists for the Bednarik, Nagurski and Outland and Lombardi awards. The first two go to the nation's best defensive player. The others go to college football's top interior lineman.

Has McCoy been watching the watch lists?

"No, what watch list?," McCoy said. "Man, I'm going home and sleeping. I'm not getting on these computers, I'm not worried about none of that. I'm worried about going to these meetings and getting in trouble with coach (Jackie) Shipp. I'm trying to get better. If the awards come, they come, I'm just trying to do what I can to help my team. Watch lists, that's people's opinions."
Opponent watch
Texas (Oct. 17)

The Longhorns have a starter. For now. Vondrell McGee, a junior, rushed for 376 yards and four touchdowns last season. On Thursday, coach Mack Brown named him the starting running back. But QB Colt McCoy led the team with 561 yards rushing (and scored 11 TDs). Fozzy Whittaker was the other primary contender

swardboy
8/28/2009, 08:19 AM
"They're not used to running in an aggressive manner and having physical play," Norvell said. "They're not quite used to football. I think he'll be able to wear them as long as we can tolerate him in them. Brad, our equipment guy, absolutely hates it. But he is kicking a little bit. He's got to feel comfortable kicking, too. He's winning the battle right now, but the season's young"

Do you know which "kicking" position Wilson is referring to? Kick-off, punting, ....? Kinda funny: "shoe battle"

Hotrod3157
8/28/2009, 11:33 AM
Do you know which "kicking" position Wilson is referring to? Kick-off, punting, ....? Kinda funny: "shoe battle"

I think he meant Kenney was winning the battle to keep wearing soccer shoes.

cvsooner
8/28/2009, 02:06 PM
I agree with that assessment of who's winning the battle of the shoes, and I think you meant Norvell, not Wilson, swardboy.

BoulderSooner79
8/28/2009, 02:18 PM
I love these practice reports - the only threads where folks are not getting cranky waiting for real football. Lots of questions remain, but so many positive signs. We didn't have any big body WRs last year and this year we have Tennell (tall) and now Miller (huge). We didn't have anyone to scare the defenses deep and Jaz is looking good. Positive reports about the O-line progress. RR seems to have come back strong. Granger taking snaps. DM looking healthier. Balogun at least hasn't been eliminated yet. Stevens seems to gotten past the freshman jitters. Kenney a pleasant surprise. Some good looking freshman on D that may surprise this season.

I feel more excited about this years squad at this point of preseason than last year's team. I would have never dreamed of a title game slot last year with such and experienced back seven on defense - it's just not done. The only way this team can do better is win it all, but all the elements seem to be there.

gaylordfan1
8/28/2009, 05:13 PM
D. Miller and J. Owens are both big bodies. I still haven't heard anything promising about Owens yet. I think our WR's will be fine. They just have to catch the ball being BLAZED their way!

adoniijahsooner
8/29/2009, 09:36 AM
Quotables
"He reminds me of Larry Fitzgerald, just the way he goes up and competes for the ball and makes all the great catches. No matter where the quarterback throws it, if it’s anywhere near him, he’s going to catch it.”
Cornerback Dominique Franks on sophomore receiver Dejuan Miller.

LawtonBoy74
8/29/2009, 09:45 AM
All looks good... I cant hardly wait