PDA

View Full Version : Missing girl returns after 18 years

JLEW1818
8/27/2009, 04:38 PM
By JULIET WILLIAMS, Associated Press Writer Juliet Williams, Associated Press Writer – 12 mins ago

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – A woman who was snatched from a bus stop as an 11-year-old child in 1991 turned up at a California police station after 18 mysterious years, and a convicted sex offender and his wife were arrested in the kidnapping.

Jaycee Lee Dugard was reunited with her mother, who was overjoyed to learn the daughter she feared dead was actually alive and well.

It was not immediately clear how Dugard spent the 18 years since she was abducted as a blond, ponytailed child outside her South Lake Tahoe home.

Police said she recently walked into a Northern California police station with Phillip Garrido, 58, one of her alleged captors. He and his wife Nancy Garrido, 54, were arrested for investigation of kidnapping and conspiracy on Wednesday, police said.

Phillip Garrido is also being held for investigation of rape by force, lewd and lascivious acts with a minor and sexual penetration, said Jimmie Lee, a spokesman for the Contra Costa Sheriff's Department.

Phillip Garrido has a conviction for rape by force or fear and was paroled from a Nevada state prison in 1999, according to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

Dugard was in good health when she came into a San Francisco Bay area police station and revealed her name.

"We're 99 percent sure it's her," said sheriff's Lt. Les Lovell of the El Dorado Sheriff's Department, who was a detective assigned to help investigate the kidnapping in 1991. DNA tests were being conducted.

California corrections officials said they called in Phillip Garrido for questioning Wednesday after receiving a report that he was seen with two small children at the University of California, Berkeley.

Two children and two adult women accompanied him to the station.

"The diligent questioning and follow-up by the parolee's agent of record led to Garrido revealing his kidnapping of the adult female," the department said in a statement. "It was further revealed by Garrido that she was Jaycee Lee Dugard, and that the children were his."

It was not immediately clear who was the mother of the children.

FBI spokesman Joe Schadler said the woman was reunited with her mother Thursday morning. He declined to provide details.

The suspects were being held in El Dorado County in lieu of $1 million bail each.

A house in the city of Antioch was cordoned off with police tape as it was searched by FBI agents and the El Dorado County Sheriff's Department.

Neighbor Helen Boyer, 78, described the Garridos as nice and friendly and said they cared for Phillip Garrido's elderly mother.

"If I needed something, they would be the first I would call on," Boyer said.

Dugard's stepfather, Carl Probyn, 60, said he was overwhelmed by the news that Dugard was alive. He said for years he had done everything he could to help find her, especially because he knew suspicion had fallen on him.

"It broke my marriage up. I've gone through hell, I mean I'm a suspect up until yesterday," he told The Associated Press at his home in Orange, Calif. "I'm the last person to see her."

Witnesses reported that a vehicle with two people drove up to Dugard and abducted her while her stepfather watched on June 10, 1991.

Probyn said he saw someone reach out and grab her before the car sped away.

"As soon as I saw the door fly open, the driver's door, I jumped on my mountain bike and I tried to get to the top of the hill but I had no energy. I rode back down and yelled at my neighbor, 911!" he recalled.

Probyn said his wife, from whom he is separated, was devastated by the kidnapping. He said for 10 years after the crime, she would take a week off work at Christmas and on the anniversary of the abduction and spend the time crying at home.

The case attracted national attention and was featured on TV's "America's Most Wanted," which broadcast a composite drawing of a suspect seen in the car.

Probyn eventually lost hope that he would ever see his stepdaughter alive. He said he was struggling to understand why Dugard didn't come forward earlier.

"I have a million questions, but I'm just delighted," he said.

Lovell said investigators have been working the case consistently since the abduction and new leads had surfaced over time.

"You bet it's a surprise. This is not the normal resolution to a kidnapping," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_kidnapped_girl_found

JLEW1818
8/27/2009, 04:38 PM
damn!

Crucifax Autumn
8/27/2009, 06:23 PM
That's just insane.

StoopTroup
8/27/2009, 06:30 PM
Hang em high.

Tailwind
8/27/2009, 10:49 PM
Good God! What next?

beer4me
8/28/2009, 05:56 AM
WOW just WOW

King Crimson
8/28/2009, 08:25 AM
sick. i'd say let the girl mete out the punishment. maybe it's time Garrido "gets pregnant" twice. with a shovel.

Collier11
8/28/2009, 08:31 AM
That is sick and twisted, he deserves whatever he gets and then some

swardboy
8/28/2009, 10:32 AM
And now the kidnapper says to a Sacramento tv reporter that when all the news gets out it will be a "heartwarming story."

Oh his heart will be warmed up eventually.....

OULenexaman
8/28/2009, 10:37 AM
something is fishy about this story......

KC//CRIMSON
8/28/2009, 11:18 AM
something is fishy about this story......

other than a possible case of Stockholm Syndrome, I doubt it.

Pricetag
8/28/2009, 11:22 AM
I don't know if I'd even call that Stockholm Syndrome--more like an 18-year skull ****ing of the highest order. That girl is so screwed up now. They really need to throw the book at the kidnapper and his wife.

beer4me
8/28/2009, 11:55 AM
And now the kidnapper says to a Sacramento tv reporter that when all the news gets out it will be a "heartwarming story."

Oh his heart will be warmed up eventually.....

Calif no not likely

MamaMia
8/28/2009, 11:58 AM
I hope she can put her life back together but its going to take prayer, time and counseling.

Pricetag
8/28/2009, 12:42 PM
The more I think about it, the sadder this situation becomes.

What life does she have to put back together? At this point, she has lived nearly two-thirds of her life with these people. Her parents are strangers now, and God knows what those people told her about them. So much of who she is now was affected by them. Those people took her and transformed who she was going to become completely. Even though her parents have her back, they still lost their little girl. So sad.

AggieTool
8/28/2009, 12:58 PM
The more I think about it, the sadder this situation becomes.

What life does she have to put back together? At this point, she has lived nearly two-thirds of her life with these people. Her parents are strangers now, and God knows what those people told her about them. So much of who she is now was affected by them. Those people took her and transformed who she was going to become completely. Even though her parents have her back, they still lost their little girl. So sad.

And the two kids will be forever messed up.:(

That's why I could never be a cop.:rolleyes:

I would be too tempted to enact extreme justice on the spot.:mad:

olevetonahill
8/28/2009, 01:07 PM
And the two kids will be forever messed up.:(

That's why I could never be a cop.:rolleyes:

I would be too tempted to enact extreme justice on the spot.:mad:

Nice post Tool
I agree. when I was a cop they made dayum sure I was on the other side of town when **** went down involving lil kids.

OULenexaman
8/28/2009, 02:27 PM
this story gets more bizzare by the hour...

SoonerProphet
8/28/2009, 03:29 PM
How in the hell could the neighbors not know something was totally ****ed up in the hood?

soonervegas
8/28/2009, 06:04 PM
People stay insulated from their neighbors these days. That's why.....

Dude needs to get the harshest punishment possible for what he did. Destroying a child's innocence and bond with their parents is a crime not easily topped.

StoopTroup
8/28/2009, 06:40 PM
I saw an interview with Elizabeth Smart last night about this new gal returning. Elizabeth is HAWT now.

http://blogs.kansascity.com/photos/uncategorized/elizabeth_smart_on_larry_king_show.jpg

Collier11
8/28/2009, 07:05 PM
People stay insulated from their neighbors these days. That's why.....

Dude needs to get the harshest punishment possible for what he did. Destroying a child's innocence and bond with their parents is a crime not easily topped.

True, used to be when I was a kid just in the 80's that your neighbors were family as well, you were a community...Nowadays not so much, people couldnt give two sh**s

Pricetag
8/29/2009, 08:25 AM
I don't get how a helicopter didn't spot the compound from the air. It's kinda scary to think of the police spying from the air like that, but they can legally spot pot fields that way, can't they?

StoopTroup
8/29/2009, 08:45 AM
Because they can use the pot to put back out on the street and track the dealers and distributors?

They can't put these pervs back out there to track down missing children?

I got nuthin' :D

SanJoaquinSooner
8/29/2009, 10:28 AM
How in the hell could the neighbors not know something was totally ****ed up in the hood?

from Sac Bee article:

The deputy was responding to a 911 call from a neighbor who reported that Garrido had been "acting odd."

Dispatch records show that the neighbor said "she looked over the fence and saw several tents in the yard with people living in them and saw young children living in the tents."

The neighbor also told a dispatcher that Garrido had earlier told her that he was "psychotic and had a sexual addiction," the sheriff said.

Rupf said the deputy talked to Garrido in the front yard, determined he'd committed no crime and completed the call. Records show the deputy was at the house for eight minutes.

"I can't change the course of events, but we are beating ourselves up over this and are the first to do so," Rupf said at a news conference. "We should have had a better result."

In July 2008, Rupf said, a law enforcement task force including one of his deputies and officers from police departments throughout Contra Costa County visited the house as part of a series of checks on registered sex offenders. He said they searched the home but not the backyard.

StoopTroup
8/29/2009, 10:52 AM
The stuff this Phillip guys is saying leads me to believe he's trying to get the "Bat **** Crazy Award for 2009".

Would seem any Atty might try to get this guy put in a mental institute but I hope he gets put back in prison and they throw away the key.

8p3f83lLPOU

SanJoaquinSooner
8/29/2009, 11:10 AM
That's one sick SOB.

Tailwind
8/29/2009, 02:35 PM
That's the truth!