PDA

View Full Version : A 16% Unemployment Rate

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/27/2009, 02:18 PM
Team Obama Cookin' the Books - Unemployment at 16%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Real US unemployment rate at 16 pct: Fed official
Aug 26 02:25 PM US/Eastern

The real US unemployment rate is 16 percent if persons who have dropped out of the labor pool and those working less than they would like are counted, a Federal Reserve official said Wednesday.
"If one considers the people who would like a job but have stopped looking -- so-called discouraged workers -- and those who are working fewer hours than they want, the unemployment rate would move from the official 9.4 percent to 16 percent, said Atlanta Fed chief Dennis Lockhart.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

OklahomaTuba
8/27/2009, 02:26 PM
And in related news, Chris Matthews wants to know why Obama's not getting credit for this miraculous economic turnaround we're all enjoying:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jeff-poor/2009/08/26/matthews-obama-not-getting-enough-love-economic-comeback

Harry Beanbag
8/27/2009, 02:35 PM
And in related news, Chris Matthews wants to know why Obama's not getting credit for this miraculous economic turnaround we're all enjoying:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jeff-poor/2009/08/26/matthews-obama-not-getting-enough-love-economic-comeback

I'm sure it's because we're all racists. :)

OklahomaTuba
8/27/2009, 02:41 PM
I'm sure it's because we're all racists. :)Just imagine how racist it would be to point out what the unemployment rate was the day Dear Leader took office.

Or what it was the day Pelosi & the donks took control of congress.

badger
8/27/2009, 02:44 PM
Unemployment has always been determined by those who are willing and able to work.

Those who are not seeking employment aren't counted.

Those who are underemployed (working less than they want to) aren't counted as unemployed, either, because they've got employment.

I don't consider this dishonest or deceptive, but just going on what has always been done. Retired and disabled person, stay-at-home moms, etc. shouldn't be considered "unemployed" by economic standards, because they aren't seeking employment.

I would consider it more deceptive if they were determining unemployment in a different way than they had always done it. What's next, counting kids as unemployed because they don't have jobs?

EDIT: This does not mean that I completely agree with economic terms and don't think they're entirely straight-forward. I mean, 5 percent unemployment is considered full employment, because they factor in people between jobs as unemployed.

OULenexaman
8/27/2009, 03:12 PM
Tuba....Bean....Rush.....keep up the good work.....heck I don't even have to post my BHO rants...you all do it for me....

yermom
8/27/2009, 03:14 PM
i'd kinda like to look at the link but it's broke and the article doesn't appear to actually exist on that site...

i'd like to see a graph of those numbers over the last 10 years when we were seeing "record low unemployment"

just because you have a job doesn't mean it's not a lot crappier than the one you had last year. it seems like they changed how unemployment was measured under Bush at some point too though

and for the record, when i've seen Chris Matthews on TV, i've generally wanted to punch him in the face

OklahomaTuba
8/27/2009, 03:17 PM
Tuba....Bean....Rush.....keep up the good work.....heck I don't even have to post my BHO rants...you all do it for me....Thanks!!

Just be warned, you're probably going to be reported by one of the Obamatons on the board to [email protected]. If a nice local union or ACORN thug pays you and your family a visit to "re-educate" your racist arse soon, just don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

yermom
8/27/2009, 03:18 PM
don't tempt me :D

King Crimson
8/27/2009, 04:00 PM
the real figure w/out the liberal spin is 160%.

landrun
8/27/2009, 04:21 PM
Or what it was the day Pelosi & the donks took control of congress.

4.9% .... of course that was when the economy was in terrible condition. I'm glad the dems took control back then. Just image how expensive gas would have become and how high the unemployment rate would be right now without their ingenious minds leading us for the last 3 years. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/27/2009, 04:26 PM
4.9% .... of course that was when the economy was in terrible condition. I'm glad the dems took control back then. Just image how expensive gas would have become and how high the unemployment rate would be right now without their ingenious minds leading us for the last 3 years. :Dand, their effective obstruction of attempts to overhaul FannieMae and FreddieMac, and the whole mortgage industry that they drove awry for years prior to their "winning" control of congress in '06.

Scott D
8/27/2009, 08:50 PM
Unemployment has always been determined by those who are willing and able to work.

the way it's used by the government and the media is in relation to how many new jobless/unemployment claims are made in a 30 day period. That is why the numbers we hear each month are dubious at best, and the only real information you can glean from them is that fewer people became jobless during that 30 day period that required them to file for unemployment.

technically if someone files for underemployment (generally because of an hours cutback), those numbers could be worked into the unemployment numbers. But unless you're trying to make the situation sound more dire, there's no point to add those numbers to the totals.

Crucifax Autumn
8/27/2009, 09:58 PM
The reported unemployment rate is now, and always has been, pure and total bull****. The fact that people have dropped off the rolls has been used historically by both parties to create an imaginary rosy forecast.

There is nothing new about this at all.

JLEW1818
8/27/2009, 10:51 PM
basically most presidents will suck

OklahomaTuba
8/28/2009, 10:01 AM
Yipes, 20%????!?!??

So if you care not just about people who meet the official definition of "unemployed" but also about people who are dropping out of the labor force, 2009 seems to be trailing 1982 in terms of the health of the labor market. Williams says that when he takes into consideration people who haven't looked for work in more than a year because they can't find jobs, the real unemployment rate today goes all the way up to 20.6 percent by his calculations. "It won't take much to get it to the worst since the Great Depression," he says.http://www.usnews.com/articles/business/economy/2009/08/27/is-unemployment-the-worst-since-the-great-depression.html

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/28/2009, 07:06 PM
I am going to go ahead and call it before the link is provided. No one has a job..... 100% unemployment rate!!!!!

StoopTroup
8/28/2009, 07:16 PM
I was thumbing through this paper I found laying around at work...

The Broken Arrow Ledger

In it it had a section in the employment section for people who were looking for work. I saw lots of Human Resources Qualified people. I'm not particularly found of HR folks as I tend to think they really don't do anything of value except give whiners a place to cry.

I work in a 95% or maybe even more...male work force. We had a guy there go to HR with a Doctors note saying he could no longer use the Men's Restrooms as he was supposed to live as a Woman for one year prior to his sex change. HR notified the Women's Group there of his need to use their facilities from now on and their reaction was "HELL NO ! ! !" :D

In hiring a good HR person for your company...may I suggest you pose the candidate with a "What would you do in this situation?" the next time your hiring. :D

As I understand it there is now a restroom somewhere where he/she has a key to use the facilities.

Our World is a changing....lol