PDA

View Full Version : What, No BYU *FOOTBALL* Fans?

CrimsonJim
8/27/2009, 01:55 PM
This sucks.

:(

CK Sooner
8/27/2009, 01:56 PM
Sure does.

:D

CrimsonJim
8/27/2009, 01:59 PM
I think we cover the spread. What say you?

AZSoonerCat
8/27/2009, 01:59 PM
I'll invite my Dad and brother-in-law....:D

stoops the eternal pimp
8/27/2009, 02:02 PM
right now its at 22.5....68.5 over/under....im thinkin i like the overs

stoops the eternal pimp
8/27/2009, 02:04 PM
Crimson Jim is so much better than CK at starting a "BYU fans" thread

soonerhubs
8/27/2009, 02:05 PM
www.cougarboard.com

I couldn't find any smack talk, but their threads are in a different format than what I'm used to.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/27/2009, 02:07 PM
When I was in Utah a while back, I couldn't get anybody riled up over the OU game...but mention the Utes and it was on!

CK Sooner
8/27/2009, 02:07 PM
I think we cover the spread. What say you?

No doubt.

CK Sooner
8/27/2009, 02:08 PM

I agree.

:D

CrimsonJim
8/27/2009, 02:09 PM

CK just wasn't specific enough about the content required. ;)

CK Sooner
8/27/2009, 02:10 PM
CK just wasn't specific enough about the content required. ;)

Well **** it is the football board.

:P

Jello Biafra
8/27/2009, 02:14 PM
you know why the byu football players wear socks?

to keep thier ears warm.

CrimsonJim
8/27/2009, 02:16 PM
right now its at 22.5....68.5 over/under....im thinkin i like the overs

I'm always nervous when playing a ranked team early in the season, but I am cautiously optimistic. ;)

There will be much to be learned from this game. Hopefully our O-Line is further along than I fear they may be. These guys have to gel as a unit, and do so in a hurry. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Collier11
8/27/2009, 02:21 PM
I say under and WHERE THE FAWK IS BYU PENGUIN!!!!???

CrimsonJim
8/27/2009, 02:24 PM
Earth to BYU Penguin. Come in Penguin.... *click*

CK Sooner
8/27/2009, 02:30 PM
He will be here soon.

swardboy
8/27/2009, 02:31 PM
BYU Penguin must have gotten lost at Donner Pass, er.......

....all the byu info. I've looked up makes it sound like they're pretty banged up. They'll think 'banged up' after their Saturday evening outing against our D.

I DO think it will be a good first outing test for our coverage though. I expect a decent showing by their QB....if his line can protect him from the onslaught.

CrimsonJim
8/27/2009, 02:32 PM
He will be here soon.

link?

I keed. I keed. :D

CrimsonJim
8/27/2009, 02:34 PM
BYU Penguin must have gotten lost at Donner Pass, er.......

....all the byu info. I've looked up makes it sound like they're pretty banged up. They'll think 'banged up' after their Saturday evening outing against our D.

I DO think it will be a good first outing test for our coverage though. I expect a decent showing by their QB....if his line can protect him from the onslaught.

I've heard the same. As much as we're getting nicked up, it doesn't sound like it's near as bad as the injuries on BYU. Not a good thing for the Cougs.

Ya never know until the game gets here, but I predict the BYU QB running for his life, when he's not already on his arse. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
8/27/2009, 02:34 PM
I like the overs a lot because as banged up as they are on defense, I think OU scores at least 52-56......BYU will score 17 at least I think....

CrimsonJim
8/27/2009, 02:36 PM
I like your thinkin', STEP. http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/yes.gif

SteelClip49
8/27/2009, 02:37 PM
I heard on the SA that there is a sewer in Provo named for Switzer. BAD BAD BAD BAD COUGS!!!

Score by Quarter

OU 14 14 10 17
BYU 7 10 0 7

OU wins obviously, 55-24

SoonerCoug
8/27/2009, 02:38 PM
I've heard the same. As much as we're getting nicked up, it doesn't sound like it's near as bad as the injuries on BYU. Not a good thing for the Cougs.

Ya never know until the game gets here, but I predict the BYU QB running for his life, when he's not already on his arse. :D

Max Hall fumbles 50% of the time when he is hit, and our offensive line is depleted. It's going to be ugly. On the other hand, we have Manase Tonga back this year, and he is probably the best blocking back in BYU history.

CK Sooner
8/27/2009, 02:40 PM
Max Hall fumbles 50% of the time when he is hit, and our offensive line is depleted. It's going to be ugly. On the other hand, we have Manase Tonga back this year, and he is probably the best blocking back in BYU history.

The fullback right? He didn't get to go through camp or conditioning did he? How long has he been back?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/27/2009, 02:46 PM
im gonna go ahead and put my 100 down on the overs right now

SoonerCoug
8/27/2009, 02:47 PM
The fullback right? He didn't get to go through camp or conditioning did he? How long has he been back?

BYU has two legitimate NFL-caliber backs (Tonga and Unga). Tonga was late for camp, but he participated. He has only been back for about a week. Unga is on pace to pass Doak Walker Award-winner Luke Staley as BYU's all-time leading rusher this season. Our defensive line should be excellent. Safeties are also strong. Cornerbacks are a huge question mark. Like I said, O-line is depleted. Max Hall is sometimes remarkable, and sometimes a fumble machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_MiTV4trbo

One of our starting safeties got a concussion trying to tackle Tonga on his first day in pads.

OU_PhD
8/27/2009, 02:48 PM
Oklahoma will cover easily and BYU will find themselves in the midst of their second straight crushing defeat at the hands of a Stoops'.

SoonerCoug
8/27/2009, 02:52 PM
Oklahoma will cover easily and BYU will find themselves in the midst of their second straight crushing defeat at the hands of a Stoops'.

I have never suggested that BYU might win. I'm just saying that Tonga is a huge upgrade over Fui Vakapuna, who left BYU for the NFL last year.

CK Sooner
8/27/2009, 02:58 PM
BYU has two legitimate NFL-caliber backs (Tonga and Unga). Tonga was late for camp, but he participated. He has only been back for about a week. Unga is on pace to pass Doak Walker Award-winner Luke Staley as BYU's all-time leading rusher this season. Our defensive line should be excellent. Safeties are also strong. Cornerbacks are a huge question mark. Like I said, O-line is depleted. Max Hall is sometimes remarkable, and sometimes a fumble machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_MiTV4trbo

One of our starting safeties got a concussion trying to tackle Tonga on his first day in pads.

Unga didn't look that good and plus he is playing against teams like SDSU.

Wait until he meets Ryan Reynolds, Keenan Clayton and Travis Lewis.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/27/2009, 03:00 PM
BYU has two legitimate NFL-caliber backs (Tonga and Unga).

I can agree with Unga being an NFL caliber back...I wouldn't be surprised if somebody didnt pick up him in the 5-6 rounds....

I don't know about Tonga though...maybe the free agent route perhaps...a year outta football..just came back...

Maybe by the time post season workouts and bowls start, he'll be ready

SoonerCoug
8/27/2009, 03:10 PM
I can agree with Unga being an NFL caliber back...I wouldn't be surprised if somebody didnt pick up him in the 5-6 rounds....

I don't know about Tonga though...maybe the free agent route perhaps...a year outta football..just came back...

Maybe by the time post season workouts and bowls start, he'll be ready

Here's a video on Tonga two years ago. I hear he has been playing a lot of rugby while getting things together with his academics.

He was always much more impressive than Vakapuna, who was drafted. I imagine he will mostly just block for Unga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj-P0nvIIWQ

stoops the eternal pimp
8/27/2009, 03:26 PM
yeah, Vakapuna had academic problems too i think while at byu....I don't know if he is going to make that squad in Cincy though..

Vakapuna might as well have been an udfa..a draft pick that late isnt much different except he cant choose where he goes...I see Tonga being around that same grade, maybe a 7th round pick, most likely a udfa...which IMO is a lot better situation than a 7th rounder

Desert Sapper
8/27/2009, 03:52 PM
I think Hall is very good, even if he did get his *** handed to him by a few teams last year. Constant pressure from our D-Line is the key to rattle his cage and get some early turnovers.

Unga is a stud. Like some of the good backs BYU has had in the past, dude has a low center of gravity and is built like a bowling ball.

I like their TE, Pitta. Outside of Gresh and Gronkowski he is likely the best TE in the nation. That will counter Hall not having Austin Collie back this year at WR. Great safety valves are much better than good outside receivers anyway.

They are in the same boat we are on the O-Line, replacing 4 starters, and having a really good tackle returning (Matt Reynolds). This should be a helluva challenge for their big fellas. OUr D-Line will be at least as good as the monster D-Line they saw at Utah last season. That is where BYU fans need to worry. This will be the biggest mismatch of the game (in my opinion), and will put a ton of pressure on Hall to make plays on the run. Pressure on Hall means turnovers.

I like the BYU front 7. I will be very curious to see how our O-Line matches up, especially early. Either our O-Line steps up big, or it could be pretty rough going for the O. Jorgensen is an animal on the edge and Matt Bauman is a really good LB. They have some depth at the backer positions.

Their secondary is in a similar situation to our own. They have to replace both safeties, so they moved corner Scott Johnson to Safety to compensate. If Sam gets time, he should be able to pick them apart.

Their kicker, Payne, isn't demonstrably different than Way. Just about the same percentage on FG and XP.

Losing Collie will hurt their return game.

That's my take.

OU by 20. D tears a new one in Hall.

SoonerCoug
8/27/2009, 03:55 PM

That's my take.

I agree with your prediction that the OU defense destroys Hall. I think our return game will actually be improved. McKay Jacobsen is a better returner than Collie, and he is just back from his mission this year. He is still one of the fastest players on the team.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/27/2009, 04:03 PM
I think Hall is very good, even if he did get his *** handed to him by a few teams last year. Constant pressure from our D-Line is the key to rattle his cage and get some early turnovers.

Unga is a stud. Like some of the good backs BYU has had in the past, dude has a low center of gravity and is built like a bowling ball.

I like their TE, Pitta. Outside of Gresh and Gronkowski he is likely the best TE in the nation. That will counter Hall not having Austin Collie back this year at WR. Great safety valves are much better than good outside receivers anyway.

They are in the same boat we are on the O-Line, replacing 4 starters, and having a really good tackle returning (Matt Reynolds). This should be a helluva challenge for their big fellas. OUr D-Line will be at least as good as the monster D-Line they saw at Utah last season. That is where BYU fans need to worry. This will be the biggest mismatch of the game (in my opinion), and will put a ton of pressure on Hall to make plays on the run. Pressure on Hall means turnovers.

I like the BYU front 7. I will be very curious to see how our O-Line matches up, especially early. Either our O-Line steps up big, or it could be pretty rough going for the O. Jorgensen is an animal on the edge and Matt Bauman is a really good LB. They have some depth at the backer positions.

Their secondary is in a similar situation to our own. They have to replace both safeties, so they moved corner Scott Johnson to Safety to compensate. If Sam gets time, he should be able to pick them apart.

Their kicker, Payne, isn't demonstrably different than Way. Just about the same percentage on FG and XP.

That's my take.

see I m pretty underwhelmed of their front four...i think they barely put together 20 sacks last year....their lb's are alright, but sam is gonna have a lot of time if that group isn't much better

beer4me
8/27/2009, 04:04 PM
I have been sayn since MS left OU for AZ that this defense is ready and will show back up. But overall been wrong for at least the big games. (won't get into what I think about BV)

But somehow I think this year is different. I think the D will show up and live up to the preseason hype. I think this D is tired of hearing about giving up so many points.

On the same hand I think the O being called out by Stoops in the spring and the fact that SB is a man and a long way from 40 and a HT winner they are gonna take it personal for every sack and busted play.

OU may not score a avg of 50+ pts a game but I think overall this bunch is on the same page and think they have leadership and have taken responsibility for each position.

I believe this will be a special year.

SoonerCoug
8/27/2009, 04:06 PM
see I m pretty underwhelmed of their front four...i think they barely put together 20 sacks last year....their lb's are alright, but sam is gonna have a lot of time if that group isn't much better

BYU almost never blitzed last year. Rumor has it that this year will be different. BYU has shifted corners to safety, safeties to LB, and LBs to DE in an attempt to improve speed.

I realize that BYU has inferior athletes, but we're not that bad. We get some decent athletes. For example, BYU is ranked ahead of USC on scout.com in recruiting for 2010.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/27/2009, 04:10 PM
BYU almost never blitzed last year. Rumor has it that this year will be different. BYU has shifted corners to safety, safeties to LB, and LBs to DE in an attempt to improve speed.

I realize that BYU has inferior athletes, but we're not that bad. We get some decent athletes. For example, BYU is ranked ahead of USC on scout.com in recruiting for 2010.

and that was a problem....if your not blitzing and your front 4 cant get to the quarteback, then that means big problems...they will have to bring extras a lot to keep this game close..

I see OU being able to run between the tackles like they want to and sam having lots of time...the byu corners played very soft last year, so hopefully they changed that too..i mean for their sake

SoonerCoug
8/27/2009, 04:11 PM
the byu corners played very soft last year, so hopefully they changed that too..i mean for their sake

I doubt that this has changed. Like I said, it's going to be ugly.

beer4me
8/27/2009, 04:13 PM
and that was a problem....if your not blitzing and your front 4 cant get to the quarteback, then that means big problems...they will have to bring extras a lot to keep this game close..

I see OU being able to run between the tackles like they want to and sam having lots of time...the byu corners played very soft last year, so hopefully they changed that too..i mean for their sake

This^^^

badger
8/27/2009, 04:25 PM
Utah has the most kick arse school song in the world... I hope BYU's sucks so that I can despise each of their exciting moments even more :mad:

Seriously, the Utah song lyrics should just be "U-tah, U-tah, U-tah, U-tah, U-tah, U-tah, U! U-tah, U-tah, U-tah, U-tah, U-tah, U-tah, U!" because that's how it sounds.

Desert Sapper
8/27/2009, 04:39 PM

I don't think they compare very favorably to our D-Line, but Jorgensen is the MWC all-time sack leader. I think our O-Line will need to step up to counter their front 3 and the outside pressure from the linebackers. I'm not overly impressed with their LBs, but I think Bauman is good. I don't think he would break into our LB rotation, but he is good for the MWC. They have a decent D, which could be rough on an O-Line that's not gellin. They won't be the best front 7 we face this year, but they will be much better than the UTC D-Line that we faced in the opener last year.

Now, if our O-Line is immediately playing like a unit, we'll cake walk in this game. We have a ton of potential (probably more than a metric ton) on the line, and if that potential turns into success on the field, their D get's a mudhole stomped in them.

SoonerCoug
8/27/2009, 06:39 PM
yeah, Vakapuna had academic problems too i think while at byu....I don't know if he is going to make that squad in Cincy though..

Vakapuna might as well have been an udfa..a draft pick that late isnt much different except he cant choose where he goes...I see Tonga being around that same grade, maybe a 7th round pick, most likely a udfa...which IMO is a lot better situation than a 7th rounder

I'm pretty sure that Vakapuna signed a 4-year deal with the Bengals.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/27/2009, 11:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that Vakapuna signed a 4-year deal with the Bengals.

everybody has a 3 or 4 year deal now...every player that was drafted and everybody on a team...doesnt mean anything....everybody that has already been cut in the preseason had a 3 or 4 year deal

JLEW1818
8/27/2009, 11:28 PM
practice squad, you still make a good living

Desert Sapper
8/28/2009, 01:04 AM
everybody has a 3 or 4 year deal now...every player that was drafted and everybody on a team...doesnt mean anything....everybody that has already been cut in the preseason had a 3 or 4 year deal

He's number 2 on their current depth chart at FB.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/28/2009, 08:30 AM
yeah..thats where they had jd listed a few weeks ago

Desert Sapper
8/28/2009, 01:31 PM
yeah..thats where they had jd listed a few weeks ago

True.

oudivesherpa
8/28/2009, 01:39 PM
Too busy riding their bikes and hopeing their underware doesn't chafe their butts.

C&CDean
8/28/2009, 01:41 PM
Too busy riding their bikes and hopeing their underware doesn't chafe their butts.

I guess you didn't get the memo huh? Pity.

SoonersEnFuego
8/28/2009, 01:59 PM
Utah has the most kick arse school song in the world... I hope BYU's sucks so that I can despise each of their exciting moments even more :mad:

Seriously, the Utah song lyrics should just be "U-tah, U-tah, U-tah, U-tah, U-tah, U-tah, U! U-tah, U-tah, U-tah, U-tah, U-tah, U-tah, U!" because that's how it sounds.
It sucks:
http://cougarfan.com/downloads/CougarFightSong.wav

oudivesherpa
8/30/2009, 03:49 PM
I guess you didn't get the memo huh? Pity.

Sorry, I was out of line, I didn't mean to offened their religion or customs.

Knippz
8/30/2009, 07:29 PM
Remember that OU opening game against UNT a few years ago?
I think this one goes in similar fashion.

Mark_in_Tulsa
8/30/2009, 10:23 PM

For 2010 BYU has an avg of 2.5 stars per recruit while SUC has 3.75 stars per recruit.

That's a huge difference. Big schools like SUC, Florida, OU, Texas have 3+ stars as back ups.
http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp

SoonerCoug
8/30/2009, 10:39 PM
For 2010 BYU has an avg of 2.5 stars per recruit while SUC has 3.75 stars per recruit.

That's a huge difference. Big schools like SUC, Florida, OU, Texas have 3+ stars as back ups.
http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp

I was basing my statement on scout.com's rankings, which have the recruiting class at #11.

silverwheels
8/30/2009, 10:44 PM
Even on Scout, BYU already has 25 commits (avg. 2.96 stars) to USC's 13 (avg. 3.85 stars). USC will have a better class than BYU (and a lot of other schools) when it's all said and done.

o0Dan0o
8/30/2009, 11:04 PM
Rivals and similar sites are good for a general feel of a recruiting class, but we all know how little the individual rankings can mean. Sam and Colt were both 3 stars, while we have all seen 5 stars that don't cut it (and I'm not counting the ones that fail out or get arrested). Stoops seems to recruit more "diamond in the rough" Athletes, as we're fairly consistently "out-recruited" by the burnt-uglies, yet they never really seem to have better athletes.

BYU looks to be at the top of the mid-majors in terms of recruiting, and above many BCS programs. But not on the same level as top tier teams.
Dan

SoonerCoug
8/30/2009, 11:06 PM
Rivals and similar sites are good for a general feel of a recruiting class, but we all know how little the individual rankings can mean. Sam and Colt were both 3 stars, while we have all seen 5 stars that don't cut it (and I'm not counting the ones that fail out or get arrested). Stoops seems to recruit more "diamond in the rough" Athletes, as we're fairly consistently "out-recruited" by the burnt-uglies, yet they never really seem to have better athletes.

BYU looks to be at the top of the mid-majors in terms of recruiting, and above many BCS programs. But not on the same level as top tier teams.
Dan

Yes, this is all I was trying to say. Heck, Pitta was a stinking walk-on, and look at him now. Same with Chad Lewis, who eventually became a pro-bowler. My point is that BYU attracts plenty of great players, except for cornerbacks. It irritates me when people cite the Mountain West Conference affiliation as evidence that BYU has inferior players.

JLEW1818
8/30/2009, 11:11 PM
BYU sucks, Mountain West sucks

o0Dan0o
8/30/2009, 11:26 PM
I hate to say it, but I don't think BYU really has a home outside of the MNC, what other conference, maybe round out the Big 11? But that wont happen as they want ND. Big East would be a good fit, talent wise, but you're way too far west. Pac-10 would likely laugh at you (no offense, they're *******s). I just don't see where else BYU (or Utah or BSU or TCU) fits.
Dan

SoonerCoug
8/30/2009, 11:28 PM
I hate to say it, but I don't think BYU really has a home outside of the MNC, what other conference, maybe round out the Big 11? But that wont happen as they want ND. Big East would be a good fit, talent wise, but you're way too far west. Pac-10 would likely laugh at you (no offense, they're *******s). I just don't see where else BYU (or Utah or BSU or TCU) fits.
Dan

I agree. I just don't like it when people call BYU a "small school" when it's the largest private university in the nation, and bigger than OU as well.

o0Dan0o
8/30/2009, 11:33 PM
Thinking about it, I think the best schools from the MNC, WAC, and CUSA should get together and make a "Super-Mid-Major" conference.

How many students does BYU have? OU has something like 30k, I think.
Dan

SoonerCoug
8/30/2009, 11:35 PM
Thinking about it, I think the best schools from the MNC, WAC, and CUSA should get together and make a "Super-Mid-Major" conference.

How many students does BYU have? OU has something like 30k, I think.
Dan

~35K according to US News.