PDA

View Full Version : In the 0-Line's Own Words: Very Good Read.

adoniijahsooner
8/26/2009, 11:21 PM
The Guys became accountable.

http://newsok.com/big-meeting-put-sooner-offensive-line-on-same-page/article/3395955?custom_click=lead_story_title

Big meeting puts OU offensive line on same page
Published: August 27, 2009

NORMAN — On a late night in early July, they gathered. Seniors Brian Simmons and Trent Williams sent out the call: meet at Williams’ house.

The offensive line had business to conduct.

In the spring, coach Bob Stoops delivered the first thump, referring to his offensive line as the team’s "weak link.” He struck again in May, sending sophomore Alex Williams back to the bayou for good at the start of the summer, saying he wasn’t "doing what he needed to do.”

Finally, in July, the offensive line took its hand off the snooze button, ready to put a real start to the season.

"Honestly, we were just going through the motions,” said freshman center Ben Habern.

Stoops made it clear after the spring that if changes weren’t made, nothing would stop him from handing another lineman a ticket home.

So Simmons and Williams, the only experienced leftovers from one of the best offensive lines in college football, took the first step in making sure Stoops wouldn’t need to inspire their young unit anymore. That was their job.

"I was like, ‘OK, we’re going to have some leadership this year, big time,’ ” said sophomore Stephen Good. "Taking responsibility for us, that meant a lot to me.”

Inside, members of the line articulated just how much they cared about each other. Together, they made sure the past six forgettable months would never be repeated.

"I didn’t know some guys cared as much about it as I did,” Simmons said. "After that meeting, I did.”

Paired with Stoops’ motivational moves, the hour-long meeting inspired the line to go out of its way to make amends for their coach’s time spent wondering how he’d keep his Heisman-winning quarterback on his feet and not on his back.

Voluntary workouts became appetizers for "involuntary” extra work after the rest of the team left. Everyone did footwork drills. Everyone came to campus and did extra lifting.

"Guys took (Stoops’ message) personally,” Good said. "And we ran with it.”

Quite literally.

But the offensive linemen know they can’t change the mind of anyone who doesn’t share their summer on the practice field with them. As preseason camp arrived, so did the media fallout from their less-than-stellar spring.

Sure, Sam Bradford and Jermaine Gresham are back. But how is Bradford going to have time to throw to Gresham? What good are a pair of 1,000-yard running backs if no one can open holes?

The offensive line says the only opinion it’s worrying about is the one guy who seems to be all out of criticism for the still-gelling piece of the Sooners.

"We can’t take care of the press or whatever, but when the head man calls us out, that’s when the sense of urgency gets going,” Williams said. "His comments mean the most to us.”

No one will know what impact the turbulent summer had on the offensive line until its four new starters are officially christened against BYU on Sept. 5 in Arlington, Texas. The one thing they do know is the talking heads on TV and writers pecking at computer keyboards won’t have anything to do with it.

"I’m not mad at them for saying that,” Simmons said. "But do I agree with them? No.”

LawtonBoy74
8/26/2009, 11:42 PM
Good read adoniijahsooner

rainiersooner
8/27/2009, 01:53 AM
man I am looking forward to seeing them crack some bones. I agree with you: I think we will be pleasantly surprised. Boomer!

Boomer.....
8/27/2009, 07:46 AM
Nice read. Great seeing players group together and work beyond the already exhausting football schedule. I am slowly losing any doubt that I had in the O-line.

mikeelikee
8/27/2009, 08:36 AM
What makes a great offensive line is a group of good athletes, bonded together to form a cohesive unit. That unity of purpose is the key ingredient, and they seem to have it. I'm excited to watch this team!

fadada1
8/27/2009, 09:48 AM
regardless of the outcome of this season, it has the appearance of being a TEAM ore than any other year under stoops. good things seem to happen when a group acts as one and has singular focus.