PDA

View Full Version : Dream come true

ELP Sooner
8/26/2009, 08:20 PM
After 40 years I finally get to attend an OU football home game. I am in section 40 and from the looks of it (on the internet) the seats aren't all that great. Anyone have anything encouraging to say about this section?

olevetonahill
8/26/2009, 08:24 PM
How high up are ya ?
the Only prob will be seeing whats happening on the North end-zone
You will still enjoy it :D

fadada1
8/26/2009, 08:24 PM
you're in the stadium - it'll be all the encouragement you'll need.

have fun. you'll remember it forever.

ELP Sooner
8/26/2009, 08:26 PM
row 26. thanks I am really excited about going.

VA Sooner
8/26/2009, 08:47 PM
Congrats on your first home game! An experience that will keep you wanting more.

Jay C. Upchurch
8/26/2009, 08:55 PM
There isn't a bad seat in the house....

bonkuba
8/26/2009, 08:59 PM
I still remember my first game......the smells, the field.....the Boz :D

soonerfan28
8/26/2009, 09:10 PM
There isn't a bad seat in the house....

unless you're on the other teams bench.

bonkuba
8/26/2009, 09:13 PM
Best quote ever......

starclassic tama
8/26/2009, 09:14 PM
row 26 is great no matter what section, unless it's upper deck...

thatmediadude
8/26/2009, 09:57 PM
40 is ok. To me, it's better to be there than first few rows on the 30 yard line.. Sure, you can see the players, but for the game...forget it! You'll love it!!! Enjoy it! Be sure you get there before the game in advance. You need to experience the pregame and intro video!!

ouduckhunter
8/26/2009, 10:01 PM
That's really cool! Take lots of pictures and enjoy every minute of it!

Norman Sooner
8/26/2009, 10:23 PM
We sit in Sec. 37 row 53 every year and i absolutely love my seats.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/snrbrdnbrn/Picture070.jpg

picasso
8/26/2009, 10:33 PM
I still remember my first game......the smells, the field.....the Boz :D

you smelled the Boz?

unbiasedtruth
8/26/2009, 10:39 PM
ahhhh 1st game memories...... wooden bleaches in the south end zone, 50 cent general admission to sit in the south end zone, military personel allowed in the game for free while in uniform, Bud walking the sidelines for his last season.... yelling for chinstraps as the players leave the field after the game going up the southwest corner ramp to their locker room under the stadium seats.... walking around the whole stadium after intermission without one person asking ot see my ticket..... life was grand in fall of 1963.....

kbsooner
8/26/2009, 10:41 PM
What game?

Sooner FLiP
8/26/2009, 11:03 PM
definetely get there before pregame! the entire atmosphere is amazing and something you will never forget.

AlbqSooner
8/27/2009, 06:51 AM
^^^^ This.
By the time the band marches off the field after the National Anthem, you will feel like you are ready to strap on the headgear yourself. Then the fun begins.

NormanPride
8/27/2009, 09:45 AM
That's right next to where the opposing team enters the stadium, so you'll get lots of opportunities to harass them! I love the south endzone, particularly for the fact that you can see plays develop so well. The only problem is you'll get a sore neck from turning around to watch all our TD replays. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
8/27/2009, 09:47 AM
im in the north endzone surrounded by maniacs

ELP Sooner
8/27/2009, 09:47 AM
What game?

Baylor.

jharkins
8/27/2009, 10:31 AM
Our season tickets are in sec 39 row 20 and I really do love them. Sure youre depth perception is a little messed up when they are on the other side of the field, but when OU scores on your end after Manny makes a one handed grab against Tech running right at you, its ALL worth it! :)

DakotaSooner
8/27/2009, 11:29 AM
My first time at Norman I felt like Rudy's Dad. My eyes had never seen such a beautiful sight....

deweydw
8/27/2009, 11:39 AM
About an hour or before kick off. Be on the north end outside to see the Schooner make its way to the stadium. I had just missed that last year at my first game vs TCU. We were in the north end against the wall. You will love every minute. It is an experience I will never forget. Not going to forget my camera this year.

TAFBSooner
8/27/2009, 09:46 PM
There are 83,000 GREAT seats! Then there are the other 299,917,000 poor schmucks.

JohnnyMack
8/27/2009, 09:52 PM
Just come to the tailgate and get ****ing hammered before the game and you won't give a **** where you're sitting.

SoonerAficionadOU
8/27/2009, 10:39 PM
I'm in section 39 for the ISU game, is that the North or South endzone? And which side is the giant screen on?

JohnnyMack
8/27/2009, 11:07 PM
Souf.

Behind u.

JohnnyMack
8/27/2009, 11:08 PM
http://www.indux.com/map/797_OWENFIELD_Football_tn.jpeg

SoonerAficionadOU
8/27/2009, 11:10 PM
Sweet. Much appreciated.

SoonerPr8r
8/27/2009, 11:16 PM
If I remember correctly, they replaced the gameboy screen in the north endzone and they have a proper video board that you can watch replays on without neck craps from looking behind you

MyT Oklahoma
8/27/2009, 11:26 PM
Get there as early as you can and then just enjoy your first gameday at the Snake Pit.

Dio
8/27/2009, 11:42 PM
im in the north endzone surrounded by maniacs

You're welcome!

OU_PhD
8/28/2009, 12:16 AM
Enjoy all the sights, smells and eye candy. I remember sitting in the student section and thinking back, I don't think I have ever been around a bigger collection of absolutely beautiful women in all my life. The smell... oh dear. I had a hot Chi-O GF. I miss those days.

ELP Sooner
10/8/2009, 07:54 PM
Flying to OKC tomorrow, really excited about my first OU home game!

okiewaker
10/8/2009, 08:01 PM
Come early, stay late, and enjoy.

ouduckhunter
10/8/2009, 08:16 PM
If you get in town Friday afternoon, and you're in to lurking, drinking beer, etc, go hang out around O'Connell's. Two years ago we were in Norman before the OU - Texas game, and we saw the team, coaches, and their entourage loading up on their buses to leave for Dallas on Friday afternoon. I'm guessing that they probably follow a similar schedule when they leave for their Friday night hotel for home games. We just happened to be in the right place at the right time, and it kind of added to the general excitement especially since we had come from half way across the country for the game.

Hope that you have a great time the entire day! I know that you are going to see the Sooners give Baylor a whuppin! :)

SunnySooner
10/8/2009, 08:41 PM
OOOOOHHH!!! So jealous!!! Went to the Miami game last weekend, going to OU/ut next week, but there's nuthin like a home game. Get there EARLY!! the band, the fans, the crimson, WAAAHHHHH!!!!! I wanna go!!!! Don't worry 'bout your seats, you will have an amazing experience, yell loud for me!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOMERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soonerborn30
10/8/2009, 09:02 PM
What section are you in, step?

I'm in 23. Lots of fun over there. Been sitting with the same people for about 15 years now.

IronHorseSooner
10/8/2009, 09:44 PM
My first game...I somehow ended up in the Colorado section during the game where Cale got KO and the Schooner tipped over. The next one was a lot better, Mizzou in 2003. I was home from Iraq on leave and got seats right behind the bench. I got to watch Dan Cody faceplant Brad Smith into the turf!

OUfan7
10/8/2009, 09:55 PM
Just get ready for the goosebumps. If you don't get them when the Pride breaks out with "BOOMER SOONER" then you need someone in your section to check you for a pulse. Don't be embarassed, you will not be the only one!!!

Enjoy!!!!!!!

THA RO SOONER
10/8/2009, 10:28 PM
iffin its yer first time in 40 years your gonna WET yourself when the drum major comes prancin' at ya!! i feel its one of the coolest things of the pregame!

humblesooner
10/9/2009, 08:08 AM
What everyone else said, with these points of emphasis.

We had season tickets in sec 36 (South Endzone) for years before being exiled to Houston. I loved them. You could see the plays develop very well and when OU is coming toward you, you have the best view in the house.

If it is your first game in Norman, you HAVE to be inside the stadium in time to see all of the pregame activities. If you want to wait at the north end and watch the band and the schooner come in, that's OK, but bust it to your seats before they start pregame.
When the band first starts playing on the field, the drum major will be hidden amongst the population, then just before they start belting out Oklahoma, he will come out of the group to lead the pack directly toward the South endzone...and you. You can not miss this.

Widescreen
10/9/2009, 08:14 AM
When you hear the "Boomer" "Sooner" chant going back and forth before the game, you will get chills.

I gear-on-tee it.

ELP Sooner
10/12/2009, 03:27 PM
Back home after the trip. It was more than I expected in every way. Someone here gave me a tip about parking at the Noble Center...thank you for that...excellent idea. The people of Oklahoma are amazing...nicest people you will ever meet. I liked it so much that I have vowed to try and get tranferred to OKC in the future.

As for the game and stadium it was just flat out awesome. The fans are really cool and being part of the sea of crimson was lots of fun. Loved our seats just like you guys said I would.

My little brother and my son went with me and we must have taken a zillion pics after the game. We didnt leave the stadium for over an hour after as we just wandered around taking pictures and listening to the pride perform. Then walked back to the Noble center (rather than the bus) we wanted to see more of the campus, or maybe it was just an excuse not to leave, as we wanted to savor the experience a little bit longer.

Lastly I want to thank my six grade math teacher at Hopi Elementary School in Phoenix Arizona. His name is Johnny Boyd and he is the one who got me to be a Sooner fan. He would share his Sooners Illustrated magazine with me and eventually gave me my first subscription. I was telling someone in OKC my story about having never lived in the state nor attending school at OU...yet being a Sooner Psycho since 1981 (age 12) and he told me that the state of Oklahoma looks at me like a native son...and you guys sure made me feel that way.

Thank you!

P.S. Until I get to really move to OKC...I will make one home game per year for now on.

Jacie
10/12/2009, 03:34 PM
Thirteen years since I attended my last game but the memories are still good.

I was one of those who stayed up to and after the final gun. I liked going down on the field, hang out around the schooner while the Pride lined up to play to a mostly empty West side, which was cloaked in shadow by then (aah, those 1:30 p.m. kick offs . . .).

Come early, take it all in, stay late (let the traffic thin out) and if you are going to be in Norman for dinner, be patient cause every restaurant will be crowded.

Mississippi Sooner
10/12/2009, 03:44 PM
Man, reading this thread makes me wish I could go to Norman for another game this year.