PDA

View Full Version : 2009 O-line is better then 2008.

soonerfan28
8/26/2009, 06:12 PM
The way I see it is that our O-line last year had one season in the no huddle and this year we have an O-line that has been in the system for two years. I understand that they don't have the time on the field that we had last year, but they have been prepaing in the no huddle for a longer period of time. It's just my opinion, but it sounds good.

JLEW1818
8/26/2009, 06:19 PM
could be, never thought about it that way

swardboy
8/26/2009, 06:54 PM
It looks like a fast-break offense doesn't it? While I hate it that we almost always let the whole 25 second clock expire before snapping almost every time, it sure gives the o-line time to recover. And of course best of all, the defense can't substitute...

VA Sooner
8/26/2009, 07:33 PM
Have to consider defensive stats... scoring so quickly also gives the other team more chances for yardage, receptions, and scores.

Then again... this year's defense is more than ready to handle the load. Provided we don't through linebackers like Spinal Tap does through drummers.

tigepilot
8/26/2009, 10:01 PM
It looks like a fast-break offense doesn't it? While I hate it that we almost always let the whole 25 second clock expire before snapping almost every time, it sure gives the o-line time to recover. And of course best of all, the defense can't substitute...

As a former o-lineman, sitting down your stance for a long time is NOT resting. When I watch them do that, I'm grinding my teeth.

LawtonBoy74
8/26/2009, 11:11 PM
As a former o-lineman, sitting down your stance for a long time is NOT resting. When I watch them do that, I'm grinding my teeth.

I know talk about thighs burning and how hard it is to catch your breath... I totally feel you on this one tigepilot

htownsooner7
8/27/2009, 10:38 AM
The way I see it is that our O-line last year had one season in the no huddle and this year we have an O-line that has been in the system for two years. I understand that they don't have the time on the field that we had last year, but they have been prepaing in the no huddle for a longer period of time. It's just my opinion, but it sounds good.
Dude, the title of this thread is plain wrong. This line MAY end up being good. But let's let them get through BYU and Miami and UT before we crown them with anything. As a unit, they have never been confronted with new defensive alignments, strange blitzing schemes, and all at game speed. The great thing about OU fans is that we respect what has come before and give credit when it is DUE. It hasn't been earned yet with the new o-line. THere is nothing wrong with making anyone earn praise. They need to adapt, communicate, and execute in game situations against top defenses before we start measuring their excellence.

soonerfan28
8/27/2009, 12:13 PM
They will be a better O-line at season's end.

adoniijahsooner
8/27/2009, 12:36 PM

Don't agrue with him; apparently he knows more than Kevin Wilson and the players.

Jello Biafra
8/27/2009, 12:59 PM
Don't agrue with him; apparently he knows more than Kevin Wilson and the players.

although, he does bring up good points. like above, as a former lineman, the faster the offense runs, the better it is for us fat boys. we don't have to think as much and we don't have to sit in a stance allowing the defensive line time to think and process their reads.

im not positive but we have lost so many highly recruited olineman, this is likely the first starting oline that has been recruited as a higher rated lineman or not moved from the other side of the ball. we'll be gooder than the line that just left. give us till next year, hide and watch.

htownsooner7
8/27/2009, 01:48 PM

My points are valid; there is a big difference for even a talented line when it comes to performing in scrimmages and performing against stunting, blitzing defenses. They haven't been put in that position yet, so any opinion that this line is better than last year's at minimum is PREMATURE.

OUMallen
8/27/2009, 02:09 PM
No.

TMcGee86
8/27/2009, 02:14 PM
than even.

adoniijahsooner
8/27/2009, 05:29 PM
My points are valid; there is a big difference for even a talented line when it comes to performing in scrimmages and performing against stunting, blitzing defenses. They haven't been put in that position yet, so any opinion that this line is better than last year's at minimum is PREMATURE.

This is where your point is flawed; it goes against evidence and history. Sam Bradford did not take one snap in a football game, and yet he performed better than Paul Thompson in his 1st year. AD was better than Renaldo Works and K. Jones even without taking a snap. You seriously think these coaches set up a practice and just go vanilla in the scrimmages?

I know football regardless of what you think. I stated that Cameron Kenney would start this year before all the hype, and guess what? People argued and said not this year, because others are better prepared. In the spring of 2008 I was the 1st on soonerfans to post about the no huddle and said that it would be a great thing, and guess what? We broke records last year. I am not a homer, I do my best to think the way a coach thinks and look @ what is important; which is intelligence, dedication, and a willingness to be held accountable for their part. Do you know Trent Williams had the most pancake blocks against florida? Or Simmons was in on the 1st touchdown drive? You can have your opinion, but just watch and see and if I'm wrong I'll be humble and admit my wrong.

Btw, Mel Kiper and Todd Mcshay were hoping that the line is not good, so they can see what type of qb Sam truly is; are you Kiper?

Sirus
8/27/2009, 05:45 PM
I know talk about thighs burning and how hard it is to catch your breath... I totally feel you on this one tigepilot

I have never been big enough to play that position and I can still say It always looked painful to lean on that kind of weight for long periods of time. I definitely feel pity for you guys. You don't get enough recognition unless your letting the QB get sacked and I feel that's BS.

htownsooner7
8/27/2009, 08:36 PM
Adonijah,

Perhaps, I got too personal. Jkeeping this civil, comparing AD to Works and O line of a record setting offensive line to one with 4 new starters is categorically wrong. They may be good. But why hand it to them? AD and Bradford were great. And they proved it. I hope there weren't people out there saying Bomar was better than White. I said the same thing to them. Maybe there's some wisdom to my point.

adoniijahsooner
8/28/2009, 08:05 AM
Adonijah,

Perhaps, I got too personal. Jkeeping this civil, comparing AD to Works and O line of a record setting offensive line to one with 4 new starters is categorically wrong. They may be good. But why hand it to them? AD and Bradford were great. And they proved it. I hope there weren't people out there saying Bomar was better than White. I said the same thing to them. Maybe there's some wisdom to my point.

Check out this qoute and this is something new. htownsooner, I keep telling you things are different..

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090828_92_B3_hPosit134263

New strategy: OU coaches have employed a new tactic this preseason that figures to help a bunch against a solid program like BYU.

"About 15 minutes before each practice, we actually have the 1 offense and the 1 defense," said senior offensive lineman Brian Simmons. "One day, it'll be the 1 offense and (the defense) will do blitz schemes that our offensive coaches want to see. And other days, we'll do fronts that coach (Brent) Venables wants to see. That's something new we've been doing this year, and I think it's going to help us out."

htownsooner7
8/28/2009, 12:13 PM
Do you really think Habern will be better in 2009 than Cooper was in 2008? Do you really think Brannon in 2009 will be better than Loadholt was in 2008?
Do you really think Good in 2009 will be better than Duke was in 2008?

You may say yes. If so, that speaks for itself.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/28/2009, 12:18 PM
i definitely have no problem believing Good will be better than Duke

stoops the eternal pimp
8/28/2009, 12:20 PM

This...It takes a whole lot more discipline so that don't get a false start as well...its one thing to get down in your stance and go versus get down in your stance in for 20 seconds then go

sooneron
8/28/2009, 12:28 PM

"Than" why isn't this the title of your thread?

soonerfan28
8/28/2009, 12:29 PM
To further my point I will say that they go against a better defense in practice this year then they did last year as well. Our O-line won't see a better defense then the one across from them every day in practice.

soonerfan28
8/28/2009, 12:30 PM
Damn, it is the offseason when people are whining about thread titles.

sooneron
8/28/2009, 01:14 PM
Well, let's see, you make a title that has a declarative statement which has no basis in concrete fact ...

hmmm

Good could also be the second coming of Skinner.
Braxton might commit more false starts than Loadholt.

It's all unknown at this point. Therefore, a declarative statement like you know something more than us or have a magic 8 ball that is always right, is a little silly.

sooneron
8/28/2009, 01:15 PM
Actually, if you had said that your magic 8 ball is always right, I would not have given a care...