PDA

View Full Version : KFC's new Double Down

stoops the eternal pimp
8/26/2009, 02:57 PM
http://www.foodgeekery.com/fullimg/kfc-doubledown4.jpg

Credit TD2K for this glorious find...the thing that concerns me is something called "The colonel's sauce...

KFC’s newest “sandwich” is a heart-stopping creation that seems literally to die for: it layers two kinds of cheese with bacon and oozes “Colonel’s sauce.” The twist? Instead of bread, two deep-fried chicken breasts round out the calorific concoction.

Dubbed the Double Down, the sandwich is in test markets so far, which means that only overeaters in Providence, Rhode Island, and Omaha, Nebraska, can get their greasy fill. The buzz is that it’s got more than an entire day’s worth of the recommended allowance for fat, cholesterol, sodium and protein, according to an analysis in the Vancouver Sun.

“Independent labs are estimating that it has around 1,200 calories and over 50 fat grams, based on what’s in the other KFC sandwiches,” says Men’s Health food and nutrition editor Matt Goulding, co-author of “Eat This, Not That: Best and Worst Foods in America.”

“What you’re looking at is a sandwich that has more than half the calories you should eat in a day, topped by a sauce that is no doubt some deleterious mix of oil, eggs and a bunch of food additives. The only thing you’re doubling down on here is waistline expansion.”

The sandwich has been selling for about three weeks, according to Canwest News Service, which reports that the management at one KFC outlet is saying that the “sandwich” had exceeded expectations.

The Double Down costs $6.99, and a TV commercial for it running in the Midwest notes that it has “so much 100 percent premium chicken we didn’t have room for a bun,” according to CanWest News service.

Goulding says what’s surprising is that KFC, which recently seemed to be trying to build an image of a healthier fast food chain, would debut such a cardiologist’s nightmare.

“KFC recently took the word 'fried' out of its name and had been showing some good signs of turning around its bad image,” Goulding says. “So it’s interesting that they would come out with this explosive weapon of mass destruction.”

Nutrition experts aren’t happy about it either.

“My biggest concern is saturated fat,” says Lona Sandon, registered dietitian and spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. “You are getting large amounts of total fat and saturated fat by eating a sandwich like this, and this is very detrimental to your overall heart health.”

Considering that we’ve been exhorted by nutrition experts to consume fewer refined grains, is the absence of bread a plus?

“It doesn’t really matter,” Sandon says. “The bread is the least of the evils in that sandwich.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/food/2009/08/26/2009-08-26_kfcs_new_double_down_sandwich_swaps_bun_for_two _deepfried_chicken_breasts_extra_.html#ixzz0PJwqq3 u4

soonerscuba
8/26/2009, 02:59 PM
And yet we tax the bejesus out of smokes.

King Crimson
8/26/2009, 03:11 PM
6.99 seems a little steep. with a back innaday late-night food/drunk on, looks like you could eat 3-4 of those.

OULenexaman
8/26/2009, 03:13 PM
looks finger lickin good...

beer4me
8/26/2009, 03:28 PM
Dayum I picked sumptn outa my nose the other day that looked just like that:D

stoops the eternal pimp
8/26/2009, 03:36 PM
secret meeting at KFC hidden bunker with Colonel Sanders and the board

Colonel: How is that grilled chicken **** going over.
Board: Not good....some STEP guy keeps saying how dry and terrible it is all over the internets..
Colonel: Yeah I know who that bastard is...maybe I should just kill him.
Board: With a gun? A machete?
Colonel: Nope. I've that ****er addicted to those 99 cent snackers...eats 4 or 5 at a time..maybe I could do something with that
Board: Poison
Colonel: No...needs to be some kind of a natural cause...somehow combine all of his favorite things on one sandwich...
Board: How so? You can only put so much between 2 pieces of bread
Colonel:.......
Board: What?
Colonel: What if I get rid of the bread? What if I used 2 pieces of chicken instead of bread?...I AM A GENIUS!
Board: What would we put on it?
Colonel: Bacon...that bastard loves him some bacon...2 cheeses....and....
Board: And?
Colonel: A dash of my sauce...He is as good as dead!

OULenexaman
8/26/2009, 03:44 PM
....a "shot" of my sauce....even better...

CK Sooner
8/26/2009, 04:11 PM
Messy.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/26/2009, 04:12 PM
thats what she said

CK Sooner
8/26/2009, 04:12 PM
And they took fried out of their name? What are they called now?

Boomer Mooner
8/26/2009, 04:13 PM
secret meeting at KFC hidden bunker with Colonel Sanders and the board

Colonel: How is that grilled chicken **** going over.
Board: Not good....some STEP guy keeps saying how dry and terrible it is all over the internets..
Colonel: Yeah I know who that bastard is...maybe I should just kill him.
Board: With a gun? A machete?
Colonel: Nope. I've that ****er addicted to those 99 cent snackers...eats 4 or 5 at a time..maybe I could do something with that
Board: Poison
Colonel: No...needs to be some kind of a natural cause...somehow combine all of his favorite things on one sandwich...
Board: How so? You can only put so much between 2 pieces of bread
Colonel:.......
Board: What?
Colonel: What if I get rid of the bread? What if I used 2 pieces of chicken instead of bread?...I AM A GENIUS!
Board: What would we put on it?
Colonel: Bacon...that bastard loves him some bacon...2 cheeses....and....
Board: And?
Colonel: A dash of my sauce...He is as good as dead!

That is some funneh **** right there!

StoopTroup
8/26/2009, 04:53 PM
I think they need a good jingle...

bCH7Mo7AjF0

Crucifax Autumn
8/26/2009, 05:00 PM
I'd chow that ****er DOWN! So what if I die at 50? That gives me 10 more years of cheesy, bacony chicken goodness!

Tailwind
8/26/2009, 10:34 PM
Ulp!

picasso
8/26/2009, 10:41 PM
....a "shot" of my sauce....even better...

special sauce Lenexa?