PDA

View Full Version : Are You a Sooner Fan or Sports Fan?

stoopified
8/24/2009, 05:05 PM
I had not really ever pondered the difference until I talked to someone who said they are a sports fan and watch wether or not Sooners( or Soonerintrests) are involved.That is when it occurred to me that I am a Sooners fan moreso than a sports fan.

I live, breathe, and die with Sooner football.I am very loyal to and follow OU basketball(men's and women's),baseball,softball.My intrest in the NFL is casual and revolves aroung Sooners in the NFL and their teams.There was a time when Fairbanks coached New England and had many Sooners that I was a Patriots fan,now I'm not. Currently I follow the Vikings,Bears.

Lack of Sooners in NBA has lead me to ignore that league although I have followed the Hornets when they were in Oklahoma and the Thunder now but generally spaking non Sooner sports doesn't trip my triggerI follow college sports largely to gauge how other teams stack up to my Sooners.

All other sports intrest is casual-golf gag me,auto racing -call me when there are 5 laps left,tennis -I do watch Wimbledon(championship matches only),hockey-only during the Olympics,soccer- only if a family member is involved,MLB-i am a casual Tigers fan(how serious can you be when you can only see MAYBE a half-dozen games a year around here?).In short I guess I am just a Sooners sports fan,am I alone or are there others out there?

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2009, 05:20 PM
I'm pretty much the same, stoopified. Sooner football is my #1 interest. I like college football in general because the team is only relevant in the context of the sport and the competition. I'll watch Sooner hoops (male and female) when it is televised in my area. I lost interest in the NFL about 10 years ago. I used to really like hockey when the Avalanche was an elite team, but they are now bottom feeders and I don't live there any more. I'll just reclaim those hours in my life instead of following the local team.

yermom
8/24/2009, 05:31 PM
Sooner Football > College Football > Sooner Basketball >>> about everything else

especially since WRC isn't on Speed anymore :mad:

OUHOMER
8/24/2009, 05:40 PM
I am about the same, as you may know, i am a OU Homer. I will watch the Sooner basketball teams.
College football, I can watch everyday. NFL not so much, other than the super bowl I don't think i have watched a full game in years. Who wants to hear a bunch of millionaires cry about not playing enough or what ever. can not stand it.

give me a bunch of hungry young football players with something to prove.

GottaHavePride
8/24/2009, 05:49 PM
In general, college sports pwn professional sports. My fan-dom depends on the sport in question.

I'll watch just about any college football, but OU in particular.

I watch OU basketball, and I'll watch other games if the teams playing are good. I can't stand ****ty basketball.

Other sports I will watch:
Olympics - hell yes
World Cup - **** YES
Australian rules football - this **** is hilarious
GT or off-road rally racing - occasionally

Sports I will NOT watch:
Golf - **** that crap
Baseball - boring as hell on tv
NBA
NASCAR
****ing poker

A-M
8/24/2009, 05:58 PM
I guess you would say that I am a sooner/sports fan, depending on the sport. I love college football and watch all day Saturday and any other time it is on. If OU anything is on TV, I will wtach it and then I watch a lot of soccer on the TV. I would have to say my most lst. love is OU football/college football and then soccer. I wish OU had a men's soccer team or that OU women's soccer team would be on TV. I'd really enjoy watching the OU ladies on the soccer field, don't think that will happen in my lifetime.

Dan Thompson
8/24/2009, 06:05 PM
I watch Sooner football or Sooner opponets, to check them out. I watched some men's BB last year.

Lott's Bandana
8/24/2009, 06:09 PM
1. Sooners anything.
2. Sports anything.
10. Soccer

Joe
8/24/2009, 06:11 PM
College Football: Mostly watch just for the Sooners;
College Basketball: Just watch the Sooners and nobody else
NBA Basketball: My 2nd favorite sporting league; I use to watch MJ religiously, now mainly the Lakers.
World Cup: I watch a bit of this.

That's about it. I love college football but outside of OU, Nebraska, and Alabama I really can't watch a whole game anymore outside of the bowl games. Hard to find the time for watching sports being a single dad.

thatmediadude
8/24/2009, 06:17 PM
I like college football #1.. Even if OU isn't playing, I LOVE the competition of all college football. NFL is fun because of fantasy football. NBA is fun, NOW, becuase we actually have a team.

1. CFB
2. NFL
3. NCAA BBALL
4. NBA
5. MLB (playoffs)
6. PGA - Gotta love majors on Sundays!
7. Tennis majors

I've never claimed to JUST be an OU football fan and nothing else. That'd leave a boring life Feb-September!

MyT Oklahoma
8/24/2009, 06:37 PM
<< OU football fan first and foremost. Everything else is just filler except for the Olympics as in "USA. USA. USA."

I could care less about pro sports although I am going to the Kansas City preseason game next Saturday night. But do the Chiefs really count as a pro sport? Tough call I think.

IslandSooner
8/24/2009, 06:39 PM
Sooners first and foremost.
Then some NFL, and a lot of Golf.
As long as drinking Rum is involved

Boomer Mooner
8/24/2009, 06:46 PM
Sooner FB>College FB>Sooner Basketball>Boxing, Ult. Fighting...all else

Johnny Utah
8/24/2009, 06:49 PM
Can I be both?

Love the gridiron ... both college as well as the NFL.
Love the amateur athletics including somewhat obscure NCAA sports (depending on where you live) like lacrosse and hockey.
Not a big MLB or NBA fan until playoff time ... much prefer the NCAA Basketball Tourney, College World Series, Little League World Series (currently in progress).

However, despite the "love of the game" (of college football) I'm becoming somewhat cynical of it due to the "thugish" personality that some of the more higher profile teams are adopting.

rainiersooner
8/24/2009, 07:01 PM
I like all sports. But, I only watch OU football. If I had 48 hours in a day, I might watch other sports. But, I made a choice a long time ago that I'd rather be doing things myself than watching other people do them...so, I watch OU religiously, scan the internet to keep up, and watch the Superbowl, 4th period of game seven of the NBA finals, and maybe the last game of the world series. There's just not enough time in the day for me to do otherwise!

oudivesherpa
8/24/2009, 07:11 PM
OU Football, Tulsa Football, Big XII Football, then College Football. I know many on the board don't agree with me, but if a Big XII team is playing a non-conference foe I'll root for the Big XII team. Living in Houston, I'm surrounded by UT fans, I even hosted a party for them when the played Ohio State last year. It's kinda like an SEC fan, I want everyone in the Big XII to win then I want OU to beat the crap out of everyone else.

IronSoonerMan
8/24/2009, 07:55 PM
Sooners first and foremost.
Then some NFL, and a lot of Golf.
As long as drinking Rum is involved
Same here. Except replace rum with beer!:D

Soonerfan88
8/24/2009, 08:20 PM
Sooners anything (I even watch baseball/softball if OU is playing & I can stay awake)
College Football
NFL - usually Monday nights if a Sooner is playing
March Madness
NASCAR
If I get free tickets to the Royals & have nothing else to do.

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2009, 08:36 PM
Can't believe I almost forgot 3 weeks in July:

Tour de France !!

But I'm afraid Lance will have to retire for good in the next decade or so :)

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2009, 10:00 PM
I'm a Sooner fan. Period.

Beyond that, I do usually watch as much college football as possible, but I watch very little other sports these days other than NBA playoffs. Professional sports just doesn't do it for me the way it once did.

Sooner24
8/24/2009, 10:17 PM
Sooner and college basketball first and foremost. Sooner and college football second. Every other OU sport third. Unlike 99% of the people I am an OU fan not just a OU basketball or football fan.

Collier11
8/24/2009, 10:23 PM
When OU is playing everything else ceases to exist, before and after the game I all about watching the other games. I am also a huge CBB fan, MLB fan, and NFL fan

I would say im a Sports fan with a focus on OU sports

I watch OU fball, bball mens, baseball, and I keep up with womens bball, softball, and wrestling

tigepilot
8/25/2009, 07:56 AM
To answer the original question, I'm really somewhat of both. First off, I LOVE football. I enjoy watching everything football from 5 year old flag football all the way up the NFL. However, I do consider the NFL to be the most boring of all versions of football and for the sake of my marriage I don't watch much of it because I've usually spent so much time watching college ball on Saturday. College football is where it's most fun to watch and I can sit there all day if I have the time and I usually look for games that have a link to OU (Big12 teams or OU opponents or ranked teams that are threats in the rankings for instance) but it doesn't have to be for me to watch. It's just that those games have that 'extra bit' to add to the interest. As far as whether I have the time or not though, time stops for OU football. The only way I miss an OU game is if I have to work and then I just watch on the DVR when I get home.

Regarding other sports, I'm quite a bit more casual:

Someone mentioned the Olympics... I probably like the Winter Olympics second to football and in particular Olympic Hockey (only version of Hockey I bother watching) but I watch a lot of the other events as well. I get excited when the Winter Olympics comes around.

I'm not real crazy about Basketball (the way fouls are called seem so arbitrary to me that it drives me nuts) but I'll watch OU men's bball when they're playing a big game like OSU, Kansas, Texas, or tourney.

NASCAR I can watch if I've got nothing else to do... mainly because it's the ONLY sport in the summer I consider worth watching. I will say that I really enjoy the last 50 laps or so of a race though.

Indy 500 is always a favorite of mine but it seems like every time I turn on the other Indy league races it's some road course grand prix which I can't stand... yep, I prefer the simple left turns.

Golf is boring as hell. I will stop and watch for a few minutes when I see that Tiger is battling it out in the finals of some tourney.

Baseball is even more boring than golf on TV. I'll say I enjoy going to the AAA games I've been to (never been to a major league game) but on TV I just go to sleep... even during the 7 game of the World Series. The best thing about the World Series to me is it signals the end of the sports media talking about baseball and that they can just talk about football for a while. :)

stoops the eternal pimp
8/25/2009, 09:50 AM
When OU is playing everything else ceases to exist, before and after the game I all about watching the other games. I am also a huge CBB fan, MLB fan, and NFL fan

I would say im a Sports fan with a focus on OU sports

I watch OU fball, bball mens, baseball, and I keep up with womens bball, softball, and wrestling

This...

I watch a lot of college football, mostly now because of the NFL draft stuff...When I was covering the Big 12 for the draft service, I had to watch a lot of guys and games normally I wouldn't sit all the way through. I covered the SEC for a short time and progressed into the SWAC..Next thing I knew, I had 4 tvs in my man-cave on different games...One thing that was good about watching all the teams was seeing the difference between a great colllege football player and a future NFL player..

OUAlumni1990
8/25/2009, 09:57 AM
I love OU football and have been watching for over 30 years. I'm a casual OU BB fan. I pay attention to the big 12, but not particularly a big 12 fan. I particularly pay attention to who beats who in the big 12 south. I can't get into the pros at all, too boring. But I'll go to an occasional Astros BB game if nothing else, just another excuse to get out of the house and drink beer...:)

badger
8/25/2009, 10:16 AM
I am both, but never afraid to play the "girl" card should a television announcer annoyingly state the obvious or if I get some information wrong.

#1 SOONER FAN
8/25/2009, 10:22 AM
MY wife and I are avid Sooner FAN, I read everything Sooner Football, I rewatch Sooner football games, I get nervous and I'm a wreck when they play, I'm superstitious that I wear the same sooner shirt and hat on EVERY GAME!!!!!!!!!! LOVE THEM SOONERS.

StoopTroup
8/25/2009, 11:31 AM
Growing up I was a Sports Fan....as I've gotten older I have grown to realize that if I had to decide which event to spend my very precious time on...Sooner Football wins out every time. This of course is followed by Sooner Basketball. If I can fit any other sports in...I will....but the other stuff will never come before a Sooner Football Game.

JLEW1818
8/25/2009, 11:39 AM
Fan of just about every sport

Sooner Football
College Football

big gap

the others

Jacie
8/25/2009, 01:34 PM
I'm a Sooner Sports fan first . . . other non-Sooner sports second.

If you haven't watched women's curling, you are missing out. Only women's beach volleyball is better.

stoopified
8/25/2009, 05:55 PM
If you haven't watched women's curling, you are missing out. Is it topless and are the women hawt? :D

bluedogok
8/25/2009, 09:12 PM
Sports fan, I have Directv with Sports Pack, NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings and NHL Center Ice, watching the Red Sox game right now and do most nights, I have the MLB app for my iPhone to listen to day games. I have two HDTV's in the living room. Our honeymoon had three baseball games, we usually go to a Dallas Cowboys game every year (my wife's favorite), this year we are going to the Broncos-Cowboys game in Denver. We go to Boston for Sox games and Houston for Astros games, Arlington is too hot most of the summer to go up there. We went to NYC last year for the last season stadium tour and went ti the US Open (tennis). Went to the USGP at Indy in its last year, went to KC for the OU-KU game at Arrowhead and the Chiefs-Skins game the next day. I watch football all day Saturday and Sunday, watched replays of preseason games all weekend unless something else is on.

Yeah, we both like sports and I usually have it on it the background while doing something else, like this.

I will say that every "team" has those singular type of fans, most "Nascar fans" that I know could care less about racing, Nascar is all they care about. I will watch Nascar when there isn't anything else on. For racing I much prefer Formula 1, ALMS, Rolex DP, German Touring Car, MotoGP (at Indy this weekend) World Superbike (DMG has ruined American motorcycle road racing), pretty much anything with wheels except for Nascar or drag racing. I can appreciate what they do, just don't watch it like I used to.

soonerinkeywest
8/25/2009, 10:02 PM
I'm a Sooner fan-I like other sports as well, I'm A Giants fan in NFL,Marlins fan,Miami Heat, I dont like when those teams lose but am distraught when the Sooners lose.

btk108
8/25/2009, 10:08 PM
Sooner fan....Football first and foremost....then Basketball...then anything else Sooner. If I'm going to watch any other sport...it's college sports. The only pro sport I watch is golf....those guys have to go and earn their money and sponsorships.....no high priced contract to fall back on.

jumperstop
8/25/2009, 10:30 PM
I love the olympics, made the off season go much quicker last year.

SoonerAficionadOU
8/25/2009, 11:52 PM
Like the OP, I'm a Sooner fan rather than a sports fan. I love to see big plays by anyone, sure, and I appreciate a great athlete in many different sports, but only the Sooners get my heart a-pounding and keep me on the edge of my seat through an entire game. Anything else I can catch on Sportscenter.