PDA

View Full Version : If OU Wins 2009 BCS Championship--Team of the Decade?

htownsooner7
8/24/2009, 10:07 AM
Final year of this decade. If we were able to win, that would be 2 BCS championships, 3 losses in title games, 7 conference titles, 2 heisman trophy winners, and a number of other distinguishing awards. Thoughts?

swardboy
8/24/2009, 10:10 AM
TEAM OF THE CENTURY!!!!

budbarrybob
8/24/2009, 10:12 AM
They already have my vote :D

JLEW1818
8/24/2009, 10:15 AM
i basically agree with this

from Lindy's magazine, page 42.

and i quote

" Only national championships apply, and Miami's 19-19 record is the past three years is a disqualifer. That leaves six programs in the discussion... and since we don't want to be complete BCS snobs, let's give special honorable mention to Boise State and it's 98 victories this decade.

Right now: It's USC, followed in no particular order by LSU, Florida, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Texas.

What 2009 means: With a national title, four teams can claim best - of - the - decade honors. Each starts in Lindy's preseason Top 10.

USC, Florida, LSU can win a third national championship, trumping everybody. Oklahoma, which has the most victories this decade, can win its second Waterford crystal football in its fifth title-game appearance.

If the Sooners can win the final game of the season, they would move to number 1, with the decades most victories. But they have to get that second title to get past the others. "

htownsooner7
8/24/2009, 10:29 AM
Good post JLEW. Now, we just gotta get there.

mikeelikee
8/24/2009, 10:44 AM
Team of the decade? Nah
Team of the century? Nope

Team of the millennium!

soonerfan28
8/24/2009, 11:55 AM
Final year of this decade. If we were able to win, that would be 2 BCS championships, 3 losses in title games, 7 conference titles, 2 heisman trophy winners, and a number of other distinguishing awards. Thoughts?

3 Heismans, but still two winners and yes we would be the team of the decade.

cheezyq
8/24/2009, 12:00 PM

and i quote

" Only national championships apply, and Miami's 19-19 record is the past three years is a disqualifer. That leaves six programs in the discussion... and since we don't want to be complete BCS snobs, let's give special honorable mention to Boise State and it's 98 victories this decade.

Right now: It's USC, followed in no particular order by LSU, Florida, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Texas.

What 2009 means: With a national title, four teams can claim best - of - the - decade honors. Each starts in Lindy's preseason Top 10.

Florida and LSU can win a third national championship, trumping everybody,including USC, with its single championship. Oklahoma, which has the most victories this decade, can win its second Waterford crystal football in its fifth title-game appearance.

If the Sooners can win the final game of the season, they would move to number 1, with the decades most victories. But they have to get that second title to get past the others. "

Fixed.

Lott's Bandana
8/24/2009, 12:11 PM

and i quote

USC, Florida, LSU can win a third national championship, trumping everybody. Oklahoma, which has the most victories this decade, can win its second Waterford crystal football in its fifth title-game appearance.

We're just supposed to agree with this? How could USC possibly be the number 1 right now, other than our sports media is entranced by the Hollywood aura and illusion of supremacy.

JLEW1818
8/24/2009, 01:02 PM
how is usc not number 1, as of now?

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2009, 01:05 PM
USC's three-peat turned out the be a one-peat - can't count the AP temper-tantrum trophy. But these are meaningless crowns that are worth a discussion over a beer at best. OU is already the team of the decade in my book.

JLEW1818
8/24/2009, 01:11 PM
Team by team, in no particular order

Florida
87-29 record
3 Conference Titles
3 Division Titles
2 National Titles
4 BCS Games
4-5 Bowl Record
8 First Rounders
1 Heisman

LSU
90-27 Record
3 League titles
3 Division titles
2 National titles
4 BCS games
7-2 Bowl record
9 First Rounders
0 Heisman

Ohio State
91-23 Record
5 League Titles
1 National Titles
6 BCS games
4-5 bowl record
15 first rounders
1 Heisman

Oklahoma
102-19 Record
6 League Titles
7 Division Titles
1 National Title
7 BCS games
4-5 Bowl record
7 first rounders
2 Heisman

Texas
97-18 record
1 league title
3 division titles
1 national title
7-2 bowl record
13 first rounders
0 heisman

USC
93-22 record
7 league titles
2 National titles (some people count it)
7 BCS games
6-2 bowl record
14 first rounders
3 heisman

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2009, 01:21 PM
If you count the AP-only title by USC, then you have to add the AP titles to everyone else. So OU has 2 titles and LSU has 3 since they did get the AP title after the '03 season.

JLEW1818
8/24/2009, 02:27 PM
that's not the debate

USC won the BCS Title during 2004-2005
USC won the AP Title during 2003-2004

OU has never won 2 national titles in 2 different years (this decade, only one= 2000-01 season)

It's not the same, usc is claiming 2 different seasons titles (03 and 04)

I'm not saying they should claim the AP title in 03, but they do, and so does most of the media

and NO, LSU did not win the AP title during 2003, USC did

regardless, if we win the Title this year, we OUr the team of the decade, undisputed.

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2009, 04:03 PM
You're making up the debate - what does it matter if it's the same or different years? You either count AP titles or you don't. So ranking teams on titles this decade if you count the AP:

Gators - 4
LSU - 3 (2 BCS, 1 AP)
USC - 3 (1 BCS, 2 AP)
OU - 2
UT - 2
tOSU - 2
Miami - 2

I rank LSU above USC in title because BCS trumps AP. Personally, I don't count AP at all. The one split poll was a protest by the AP that they didn't get to decide who got in the title game. USC may well have won, but they didn't get to play and beating an over-rated Michigan team at "home" isn't enough.

JLEW1818
8/24/2009, 04:52 PM
lol. i guess if that's the way you see it

i don't really agree with USC claiming the AP title in 2003, but if OU were to be in that situation would we claim it? I swear to Jesus, Bob Stoops WOULD claim it.

the argument is up for debate at the moment, but if any of the following teams win the national title game this year, they are team of the decade

OU
USC
FL
LSU
tOSU
Texas

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2009, 05:08 PM
When I hear media talking about USC getting the AP title in '03, it sounds like more of a disclaimer. "USC was very good that year, but did not win the BCS". If it happened to OU, it would be the same story - you don't want to spit in the AP's face as they are handing you an award, but it isn't the BCS. But to single out USC in '03 implies the AP didn't count in other years. Or in Spinal Tap terms - "my NC count this decade goes to 11".

Back to team of the decade criteria in this area, it really comes down to LSU and USC since they are the splitters. And I think everyone who isn't a USC homer would agree that 2 BCS is better than 2 AP. And you can crown USC as recruiting NC today, which means if they don't get team of the decade, they are underachievers :)

GottaHavePride
8/24/2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks, you guys, for jinxing the damn season already. :mad:

goingoneight
8/24/2009, 05:45 PM
I think Bob would acknowledge the fact that it's not the BCS title though. He's usually good at pointing out small details when asked. I can see him saying "we won a share of the National Championship in year so-and-so; even though I know some people don't acknowledge it..."

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks, you guys, for jinxing the damn season already. :mad:

Nothing posted here changes the season and there is no such thing as jinx (knock wood).

sooner59
8/25/2009, 01:08 AM
I say we decide the TRUE National Champion on who SI chooses to offer the commemorative hardback issue, plus championship football and t-shirt for. That is the really champ, right?

Crucifax Autumn
8/25/2009, 01:16 AM
We'll win it, we'll be team of the decade and when we win the next 3 MNCs we'll be off to a hot start on the next decade and be team of the millennium.

w0lfe
8/25/2009, 08:08 AM
We'll win it, we'll be team of the decade and when we win the next 3 MNCs we'll be off to a hot start on the next decade and be team of the millennium.

I cant believe you think a non-SEC team could even be considered!!!!

5thYearSooner
8/28/2009, 10:35 PM
Why cant we give heisman kinda voting to teams. 10 for NC and 9 for Runnerup

Florida -20
LSU -20
USC -19 or 29
OU - 37
tOSU - 28
tejas LOL -10