PDA

View Full Version : God Bless the United States of America

SanJoaquinSooner
8/23/2009, 06:47 PM
What a great country that facilitates upward mobility ... allowing the son of Mexican migrant workers to reach for the stars and achieve his dreams.

One of our boys from the San Joaquin Valley, Jose Hernandez ....

http://www.maes-natl.org/modules/ContentExpress/img_repository/jose_pic.jpg

Electrical & Computer Engineer Hernandez will be aboard the space shuttle Discovery when launched, scheduled Monday evening....

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/10/dream_jobs/image/jose_hernandez.jpg

God blessed him with mathematical talent and he took advantage of it.

Veritas
8/23/2009, 06:53 PM
Man, that's cool...I watched a video of Captain Slow (James May) taking a U2 flight and was jealous...can't imagine getting to go into space.

KABOOKIE
8/23/2009, 07:11 PM
My name is Jose Jimenez. :D

JLEW1818
8/23/2009, 08:55 PM
Lance Bass

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2009, 09:38 PM
So, does this mean the Shuttle is going to have spinners and Jesus painted on the windshield now?

Turd_Ferguson
8/23/2009, 09:49 PM
So, does this mean the Shuttle is going to have spinners and Jesus painted on the windshield now?Naw, just a brahma bull on the exit door.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/23/2009, 10:46 PM
So, does this mean the Shuttle is going to have spinners and Jesus painted on the windshield now?

Hernandez will take with him slices of home, including his wedding ring. Hernandez's wife Adela and their five children live in Houston....

He will also take memorabilia from University of the Pacific, his alma mater. A member of the Board of Regents, Hernandez said he will take a Pacific flag that already has been to the top of Mount Everest in Asia and Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa.

Hey Sic em, you can take a road trip to Houston and eat at his wife's restaurant: Tierra Luna Mexican Grill in Houston. She grew up in Cotija, Michoacan, Mexico so it's not standard Tex Mex. Order the Mole Poblano and the tortilla soup.

SoonerStormchaser
8/23/2009, 11:01 PM
You're gonna have to provide him with a compass and step by step directions on how to get there, SJS. Or maybe he can have a navigator in the right seat ;)

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2009, 11:09 PM
You're gonna have to provide him with a compass and step by step directions on how to get there, SJS. Or maybe he can have a navigator in the right seat ;)

Only if it's overcast!

olevetonahill
8/23/2009, 11:09 PM
Yes it IS Great that a "LEGAL" citizen Can accomplish such great things.

Hell I bet He could even become President :D

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2009, 11:13 PM
Hey Sic em, you can take a road trip to Houston and eat at his wife's restaurant: Tierra Luna Mexican Grill in Houston. She grew up in Cotija, Michoacan, Mexico so it's not standard Tex Mex. Order the Mole Poblano and the tortilla soup.

I might do just that!

I was in West Virginia earlier this month, and my sister insisted on eating at this mexican restaurant in Beckley. I eat Mexican food twice a week or more back home, and who expects to eat Mexican when in WV? Anyway, this place we went to was owned and operated by the nicest Mexican family. The food was good, but VERY VERY mild compared to what I'm used to. They even had a section on the menu that defined all the dishes. I asked about it and told them I lived in Texas and they told me they had to keep the food mild and simple for the locals because they aren't used to how hot Mexican food can get. I was pretty amused by that. This woman at the table next to me had to ask them what queso was. :D

They seemed to be good people though.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/23/2009, 11:43 PM
Yes it IS Great that a "LEGAL" citizen Can accomplish such great things.

Hell I bet He could even become President :D

Yes, according to the 14th amendment of the U.S. constitution, he is a U.S. citizen.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/23/2009, 11:56 PM
I might do just that!

I was in West Virginia earlier this month, and my sister insisted on eating at this mexican restaurant in Beckley. I eat Mexican food twice a week or more back home, and who expects to eat Mexican when in WV? Anyway, this place we went to was owned and operated by the nicest Mexican family. The food was good, but VERY VERY mild compared to what I'm used to. They even had a section on the menu that defined all the dishes. I asked about it and told them I lived in Texas and they told me they had to keep the food mild and simple for the locals because they aren't used to how hot Mexican food can get. I was pretty amused by that. This woman at the table next to me had to ask them what queso was. :D

They seemed to be good people though.

Here's a review of the restaurant:

I'm a strong believer in supporting family run restaurants. Tierra Luna Mexican Grill, in Clear Lake, Texas, is certainly one of those. The restaurant is run by Adela Hernandez, the wife of astronaut Jose Hernandez. Her brother does a lot of the cooking and her son is a waiter. Sometimes Jose, himself, waits tables - although since he has an upcoming shuttle flight, that probably will decrease. It is a little weird having someone I work for bringing me my margarita. Tierra means Earth and Luna means moon - a fitting name for a restaurant owned by an astronaut family.

Adela brings the cuisine from her region of Mexico to Clear Lake. This isn't just a run of the mill Tex-Mex place. All you have to do is try the mole poblano to realize that.

Like most Mexican restaurants, while you are awaiting your food, they bring you a basket of chips and salsa. The salsa is delicious. The tomatoes are grilled, giving it a delicious smokey taste. It is served hot, as are the chips. The chips are thin and crispy.

This time we had margaritas, the puerto vallarta fish tacos and the monterrey fajitas. Both were delicious. The fajitas were smothered in grilled mushrooms, onions, and peppers.

It's a great little family place that is in a small strip center near the JSC Federal Credit Union on Saturn Lane. They're fighting to get established in a tough economic time. The food is good and the prices are economical. I encourage you to give them a try.

olevetonahill
8/24/2009, 01:00 AM
Yes, according to the 14th amendment of the U.S. constitution, he is a U.S. citizen.

Go figure , Hes all legal and everything :pop:
Whats yer ****in point ?:eek:

SoonerStormchaser
8/24/2009, 01:02 AM
I can't ****ing sleep...gotta be up and out to the airport in three hours to catch my flight home.

Oh sorry...there was no ****ing point! ;)

SanJoaquinSooner
8/24/2009, 01:06 AM
Go figure , Hes all legal and everything :pop:
Whats yer ****in point ?:eek:

You brought it up, my good man:confused:

Although his parents migrated annually back and forth between Mexico and California, he was born in California so he is a natural born U.S. citizen, every bit as much as you or me.

olevetonahill
8/24/2009, 01:18 AM
You brought it up, my good man:confused:

Although his parents migrated annually back and forth between Mexico and California, he was born in California so he is a natural born U.S. citizen, every bit as much as you or me.

Aint that what I said ??????:confused:

olevetonahill
8/24/2009, 01:42 AM
So jaun They made it across
http://www.ldesign.com/Images/Essays/GlobalWarming/Part5/caution_migrants_prohibido.jpg

And their SON done Good
Grats to HIM

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2009, 05:25 AM
Does anyone else think this guy looks like Pedro all grown up from Napoleon Dynamite? :D

Good luck to the guy though. Those space boys have balls of steel to strap themselves into a rocket like that and be blasted, literally, out of this world.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f28/sammyfromalabamy/Napoleon%20Dynamite%20Pics/Pedro.jpg

StoopTroup
8/24/2009, 06:50 AM
I'd get on the shuttle this afternoon.

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 07:29 AM
Only if it's overcast!

LOL

AggieTool
8/24/2009, 08:11 AM
Pffttt...

Friggin anchor baby astronuts.:rolleyes:

Next thing you know, well have a Kenyan president.:D

TheHumanAlphabet
8/24/2009, 09:47 AM
What a great country that facilitates upward mobility ... allowing the son of Mexican migrant workers to reach for the stars and achieve his dreams.

One of our boys from the San Joaquin Valley, Jose Hernandez ....

http://www.maes-natl.org/modules/ContentExpress/img_repository/jose_pic.jpg

Electrical & Computer Engineer Hernandez will be aboard the space shuttle Discovery when launched, scheduled Monday evening....

God blessed him with mathematical talent and he took advantage of it.

I know his wife and eat at their restauant in Clear Lake. Really good authentic mexican food.

Her oldest son just got back from Philmont Scout Ranch.

Oh, the mole is great!!!! and Oh, Jose waits tables sometimes. Adela's tres leches is fantastic - we have a running joke as I want to order it every time, and frequently she didn't make any or has run out.

SJS - do you know them?

SanJoaquinSooner
8/24/2009, 12:56 PM
I know his wife and eat at their restauant in Clear Lake. Really good authentic mexican food.

Her oldest son just got back from Philmont Scout Ranch.

Oh, the mole is great!!!! and Oh, Jose waits tables sometimes. Adela's tres leches is fantastic - we have a running joke as I want to order it every time, and frequently she didn't make any or has run out.

SJS - do you know them?

No, not personally. I live in San Joaquin County where he went to high school and college. It's a big, big deal here.

1890MilesToNorman
8/24/2009, 01:10 PM
How come he didn't join the Mexican Astronaut Corp. ?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/24/2009, 01:10 PM
No, not personally. I live in San Joaquin County where he went to high school and college. It's a big, big deal here.

Adela's quite excited, telling me of their upcoming trip to FL last weekend when I was in. Telling me how she was scheduling someone to mind the restaurant.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/24/2009, 01:13 PM

heh, if Obama gets his way - their won't be any American Astronaut Corps - according to the press we are getting in Clear Lake. Manned space missions are likely in danger.

What people don't know or forget. Everything they have in their life today - technologywise most likely has roots in the Space program.

1890MilesToNorman
8/24/2009, 01:15 PM
Yep, lots of consumer loved items are a result of our space activities. Would be a shame if we don't continue pushing to the limit.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/24/2009, 05:00 PM

from Sept 2008:

Hernandez is providing strategic advice for Mexico's space program proposed by Fernando De La Pena.

The two engineers met while De La Pena created a space-compatible borescope, used to inspect inaccessible items, for NASA five years ago. During that time, Hernandez suggested to De La Pena that he should initiate a space program when he returns to Mexico.

"He took it very seriously. Next thing I know he starts sending me drafts of legislation," Hernandez said

Aug 2009:

Mexican President Felipe Calderon called Hernandez to congratulate on his upcoming mission and invited him to dinner when he gets back to Earth, according to the Associated Press.

The Associated Press reported that Hernandez accepted Calderon's invitation to dinner and a chat about space, and offered to serve as an advisor for a future Mexican space agency.

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 05:11 PM
Hell, they have drug dealers running lose shooting everyone up. How the **** are they going to have a space program.

A Sooner in Texas
8/24/2009, 08:32 PM
Hell, they have drug dealers running lose shooting everyone up. How the **** are they going to have a space program.

Maybe they could send some of those drug dealers into orbit and "forget" to bring them back.

SJS, you just made me extremely hungry. Next time I'm in the Clear Lake area I'll got check out that restaurant.
And Godspeed to Mr. Hernandez and all the astronauts on the Discovery.

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2009, 08:56 PM

They couldn't afford your average 4th of July fireworks show much less a space program. Their government is rotten and corrupt to the core, their economy is in the toilet and they have never shown any inclination or ability to fix it, and their people seem to seriously lack the drive to better their nation's conditions.

A Mexican space program is almost the most absurd thing I've ever heard.

KABOOKIE
8/24/2009, 09:05 PM
Heh. Mexcian fireworks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIF63jhRQcw

Turd_Ferguson
8/24/2009, 09:06 PM
Mexican moon lander...

http://s1.b3ta.com/host/creative/46786/1236849664/rocketfox.gif

Curly Bill
8/24/2009, 09:12 PM
Mexican moon lander...

LMAO that's funny. :D

AlbqSooner
8/24/2009, 09:35 PM
35 posts and no one has commented on how un-newsworthy a messican getting high is?;)

SanJoaquinSooner
8/28/2009, 11:08 PM
it's a go ...

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

LoyalFan
8/29/2009, 11:14 PM
Mexican moon lander...

Nawwwww. That's the new Mozilla Browser Mascot.

LF

LoyalFan
8/29/2009, 11:17 PM
Congrats, most sincerely, to the gentleman for reaching for the stars.
Now...what about the other umpteen million reaching for their welfare checks, guns, knives, keys to their lowrider stolen Chebbies, and drugs?
Jus' askin',

LF

SanJoaquinSooner
8/30/2009, 06:29 PM
Congrats, most sincerely, to the gentleman for reaching for the stars.
Now...what about the other umpteen million reaching for their welfare checks, guns, knives, keys to their lowrider stolen Chebbies, and drugs?
Jus' askin',

LF

Now Lancer, admit it - you're still upset at that semi-Eengleesh esspikkin girl at Church's Fried Chicken who over-charged your date when she took you out for a bucket of chicken.

AggieTool
8/30/2009, 09:01 PM
Now Lancer, admit it - you're still upset at that semi-Eengleesh esspikkin girl at Church's Fried Chicken who over-charged your date when she took you out for a bucket of chicken.

Xenophobia is of a higher brain function.:D

AggieTool
8/30/2009, 09:04 PM
Jus' askin',

LF

Yeah I know....

And don't forget they also like our white chicks.:D

SanJoaquinSooner
8/30/2009, 11:23 PM
Xenophobia is of a higher brain function.:D

Poor old man ... it must be the sh1ts to live in San Antonio of all places while despising "the other umpteen million."

... kinda like an abortion doctor stuck in the Vatican.

AggieTool
8/31/2009, 08:17 AM
Poor old man ... it must be the sh1ts to live in San Antonio of all places while despising "the other umpteen million."

That's the strange thing...

Complaining about Hispanics while living in a city with a Hispanic name, only a couple hundred miles from Mexico, and a state that relies heavily on Hispanic labor.

And we're surprised there's a lot of Hispanics?????:D

Now don't get me wrong, I think illegal immigration needs to be cleaned up along with providing a sensible way for folks to come here and work legally.

But let's not kid ourselves, illegal labor factors into the price of food, housing, and services.

Yet we never seem to complain about that.:O