PDA

View Full Version : Mojito

StoopTroup
8/23/2009, 12:48 PM
Had one of these drinks last night just to taste what all the fuss was about.

Anyone who thinks the mojito is remotely close to being a decent drink is either to drunk to tell or they just had their first drink while underage and is just trying to prove they aren't ghey. NTTAWWT

Anyway...could they put a teaspoon of sugar in the damn thing to make it drinkable?

Thoughts? Ideas?

yermom
8/23/2009, 12:50 PM
there wasn't sugar in it?

StoopTroup
8/23/2009, 12:55 PM
Not that I could tell.

It was like rum lightly cut with soda water and then with a mint salad throughout the ice in it.

LilSooner
8/23/2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah there is suppose to be sugar in it. Otherwise it's pretty nasty.

StoopTroup
8/23/2009, 12:56 PM
I think I should go get my money back then.

It was so bad I ordered a Hornito Margarita to wash it down.

yermom
8/23/2009, 01:05 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojito

Turd_Ferguson
8/23/2009, 01:06 PM
I never knew you were from cooba.

GottaHavePride
8/23/2009, 01:10 PM
A mojito has to be made fresh - I won't order them in bars around here because virtually no one keeps fresh mint and limes at the bar. Garnish limes for Coronas don't count. If it's a place that makes a margarita using a pre-made mix, run away.

I like caipirinhas better, anyway. Take the mint out of the mojito and replace the rum/vodka with cachasa and you've got it.

StoopTroup
8/23/2009, 01:15 PM
It was Los Cabos in Jenks and they were advertising their mojito on a ad they set on the tables. You'd think they would be half-way decent if they were pushing them on their customers. I do agree with you GHP on the freshness of garnishes in these places. If they aren't buying fresh fruit and mint everyday...they don't deserve my business ever again.

Los Cabos make a pretty good margarita though. It was my bad trying something different.

Turd_Ferguson
8/23/2009, 01:17 PM
It was Los Cabos in Jenks and they were advertising their mojito on a ad they set on the tables. You'd think they would be half-way decent if they were pushing them on their customers. I do agree with you GHP on the freshness of garnishes in these places. If they aren't buying fresh fruit and mint everyday...they don't deserve my business ever again.

Los Cabos make a pretty good margarita though. It was my bad trying something different.Mexico/Cuba. They may look alike, but two separate country's.:D

StoopTroup
8/23/2009, 01:21 PM
Mexico/Cuba. They may look alike, but two separate country's.:D

And one of them is a tried and true decent drink. The Cuba thing seemed to be what a ghey follower of Gloria Estefan might drink.

Lott's Bandana
8/23/2009, 01:28 PM
Mojitos are a great drink but 8 in 10 you order at any given bar are turrible.

Edit: wrote 2 meant 8.

StoopTroup
8/23/2009, 01:29 PM
Mojitos are a great drink but 2 in 10 you order at any given bar are turrible.

I figured it might be best to do some research and make your own at Home. :pop:

Turd_Ferguson
8/23/2009, 01:36 PM
I figured it might be best to do some research and make your own at Home. :pop:You have to have one of those Rx bowl's and pulveriser's and be pulverising the mint to the beat of the music.

Tailwind
8/23/2009, 01:58 PM
Just pulverize it in the food processor. If you have to do it to the beat, just hit pulse in time to the music. :D

Chuck Bao
8/23/2009, 02:52 PM
The drink sounds good, not that I have ever turned my nose up at a alcoholic drink.

With all due respects, Tail, I would prefer using the old wooden pestle and stone mortar to a food processor for the dancing around to the Latin beat and for the mint to be bruised, not chopped.

Turd_Ferguson
8/23/2009, 02:54 PM
The drink sounds good, not that I have ever turned my nose up at a alcoholic drink.

With all due respects, Tail, I would prefer using the old wooden pestle and stone mortar to a food processor for the dancing around to the Latin beat and for the mint to be bruised, not chopped.snob.:D

49r
8/23/2009, 03:12 PM
Chick Bao is right. The mint must be muddled in the glass - with a "muddler" - any decent bartender should have one. This releases the oil from the mint and is what adds the characteristic flavor to the drink. The mint leaves should not be chopped or shredded, only bruised.

I've had Mojitos good and bad and there is a clear difference between the two. You cannot make a good one from a mix. The dancing to the latin beat is optional and does not effect the flavor of the drink.

Chuck Bao
8/23/2009, 03:28 PM
Chick Bao is right. The mint must be muddled in the glass - with a "muddler" - any decent bartender should have one. This releases the oil from the mint and is what adds the characteristic flavor to the drink. The mint leaves should not be chopped or shredded, only bruised.

I've had Mojitos good and bad and there is a clear difference between the two. You cannot make a good one from a mix. The dancing to the latin beat is optional and does not effect the flavor of the drink.

Heh! If that is the case, I need a big glass because my pestle is BIG!

Turd_Ferguson
8/23/2009, 03:37 PM
Heh! If that is the case, I need a big glass because my pestle is BIG!You should get a pestle reduction.

Fraggle145
8/23/2009, 04:16 PM

In the glass... hmmm (how exactly do you accomplish that without making a giant mess? and why dont i have one of these muddlers?)

I always muddle with a mortar and pestle outside the glass and then dump it in and they have always turned out fine.

But pretty much I wont drink a Mojito unless I have made it myself...

Soonerfan88
8/23/2009, 04:20 PM
I've only had them at a restaurant while in Miami for the NCG and they were pretty good. Guess there are enough Cubans down there for even the tourist/chain places to make them correctly. :)

tommieharris91
8/23/2009, 04:36 PM
In the glass... hmmm (how exactly do you accomplish that without making a giant mess? and why dont i have one of these muddlers?)

I always muddle with a mortar and pestle outside the glass and then dump it in and they have always turned out fine.

But pretty much I wont drink a Mojito unless I have made it myself...
You drop the mint leaves and the sugar in the glass and then muddle before you put the ice in and pour the rum.

StoopTroup
8/23/2009, 05:11 PM
I have a mortar and pestle that is carved out of a dead longwhorn.

Tailwind
8/24/2009, 12:27 AM
Personally, I'd rather noit have a drink that has to be muddled. That just sounds wrong. :D

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2009, 12:30 AM
Sounds like a sex crime doesn't it?

olevetonahill
8/24/2009, 01:52 AM

Anyone who thinks the mojito is remotely close to being a decent drink is either to drunk to tell or they just had their first drink while underage and is just trying to prove they aren't ghey. NTTAWWT

Anyway...could they put a teaspoon of sugar in the damn thing to make it drinkable?

Thoughts? Ideas?

What ya get fer trying a fruit drink ya Fag :rolleyes:

Turd_Ferguson
8/24/2009, 01:57 AM
What ya get fer trying a fruit drink ya Fag :rolleyes:ST peemed me and said to try it and also that you had to drink it with your pinky stick'n out.:D

olevetonahill
8/24/2009, 02:01 AM
ST peemed me and said to try it and also that you had to drink it with your pinky stick'n out.:D

Kinda like eatin this ?
http://panthercs.ibeatyou.com/3073_pet_1205641880.jpg

Fraggle145
8/24/2009, 03:30 AM
All I know is when I drink em the mint settles down my tummy so i can drink more... :D

Tailwind
8/24/2009, 10:22 AM
Sounds like a sex crime doesn't it?

It sure does! :D

kbsooner21
8/24/2009, 10:25 AM
It's very hard to find a good mojito around here. Bahama Breeze used to make the best one around. Fresh lime, mint, and sugar cane are the key. If you don't have fresh ingredients, don't even waste your time :D

C&CDean
8/24/2009, 11:07 AM
For the life of me, I can't understand why anybody would **** up good booze by pouring sugar/mint/lime/coke/orange juice/grape juice/water/ice or any other foreign substance into it.

Boomer Mooner
8/24/2009, 11:10 AM
If I'm gonna muddle I make Mint Juleps.

LilSooner
8/24/2009, 11:28 AM
For the life of me, I can't understand why anybody would **** up good booze by pouring sugar/mint/lime/coke/orange juice/grape juice/water/ice or any other foreign substance into it.

Because most chicks can't drink it straight? I got nothing.

sooneron
8/24/2009, 11:42 AM
Done well, they are pretty good, but if I want sweet, I'll take a dark and stormy any day over the mojito (too much work if you're doing it right).

Lott's Bandana
8/24/2009, 12:05 PM

You and I continue to back-and-forth on this, drink it how you like Dean, but there's nothing wrong with:

From ScotlandWhisky.com (and repeated by the distilleries)...add a splash of bottled still water to your whisky. The water will reduce the (relative) alcohol content, and raise the temperature slightly releasing more of the aromas....

StoopTroup
8/24/2009, 08:10 PM

Especially in the case of the mojito.

It was pretty awful....close to being a flat Zima.

jkjsooner
8/24/2009, 09:37 PM
I only like mint by itself (gum/hard candy) so I have no desire to try a majito or a mint julep.

Also, why would anyone ever mix mint and chocolate?

Tailwind
8/24/2009, 10:00 PM
I like bourbon straight up......no hangovers.

beer4me
8/25/2009, 05:58 AM

Thoughts? Ideas?

They suc period

Fraggle145
8/25/2009, 11:37 AM
I only like mint by itself (gum/hard candy) so I have no desire to try a majito or a mint julep.

Also, why would anyone ever mix mint and chocolate?

I should beat you. Mint chocolate chip is the best ice cream in the history of the free world.

StoopTroup
8/25/2009, 12:27 PM
They suc period

Well...I was thinking that as I ordered the damn thing. But...I try not to make an opinion about food or drink unless I have tried it.

I tried it...it sucked.

I just wondered if the one I had was made correctly is all.

C&CDean
8/25/2009, 01:03 PM
You and I continue to back-and-forth on this, drink it how you like Dean, but there's nothing wrong with:

So, you've got an ample supply of "bottled still water" laying around? City of Norman/Lake Thunderbird urine water is NOT "bottled still water."

And you're right. You ruin your whiskey any way you want. :P

beer4me
8/25/2009, 04:09 PM
Well...I was thinking that as I ordered the damn thing. But...I try not to make an opinion about food or drink unless I have tried it.

I tried it...it sucked.

I just wondered if the one I had was made correctly is all.

Oh hell no biggie I ordered a COSMO one time not knowing what they were or the chance they might turn me to the other team:D :D :D

Although did learn later that Cranberry Juice good for the Kidneys, which I need all the help I can get. But am a weakazz cannot drink CJ straight up must have something good mixed with it:D :D :D :D