PDA

View Full Version : A serious topic that likely, will be taken seriously...

Turd_Ferguson
8/23/2009, 11:51 AM
Drunk driving

I have to admit I have done my fair share of DD in my earlier year's. Most of it was back in high school, out on the dirt roads with a couple of friends. In college, I didn't drink and drive because of how bad Ada popo's were. In my later year's, I've occasionally stopped off and bought a six pack to drink on the way home. The worst times I can remember were leaving a bar, be it BWW, Hooter's, tatty bar, etc., when I knew I had no business behind the wheel. OV and I have discussed this quite a few times, and we both agree, it's just a matter of time before you get an DUI or worse, kill somebody.

So here's my question. With the DD mortality rate that we have today, what would be the simple solution to stop it? Why do we allow these bar's to operate, knowing full well that the patron's leaving at 2 a.m. are more than likely drunk?

Discuss:pop:

Okla-homey
8/23/2009, 12:24 PM
The same reason we let people eat unhealthy food, grow obese, get sick and we will collectively spend billions trying to extend their lives when they become Medicare eligible.

The same reason we let people make, sell, and smoke cigaretes, despite the fact they will very likely make them sick and we will collectively spend billions trying to extend their lives when they become Medicare eligible.

In a word. Liberty.

Turd_Ferguson
8/23/2009, 12:32 PM
The same reason we let people eat unhealthy food, grow obese, get sick and we will collectively spend billions trying to extend their lives when they become Medicare eligible.

The same reason we let people make, sell, and smoke cigaretes, despite the fact they will very likely make them sick and we will collectively spend billions trying to extend their lives when they become Medicare eligible.

In a word. Liberty.You are talking about what people are doing to themselves (for the exception of second hand smoke which is a whole other thread). I'm talking about people killing other people.

Curly Bill
8/23/2009, 12:59 PM
You are talking about what people are doing to themselves (for the exception of second hand smoke which is a whole other thread). I'm talking about people killing other people.

People have been doing things to kill other people, both purposely and accidently, since time began. We have legislated against it, spoken out against it, and it still goes on. It will continue to go on.

Turd_Ferguson
8/23/2009, 01:05 PM
So basically, death penalty for DUI is the only way:confused::D

Curly Bill
8/23/2009, 01:07 PM
So basically, death penalty for DUI is the only way:confused::D

I'd be OK with the death penalty for DUI if that DUI leads to someone else's death.

Turd_Ferguson
8/23/2009, 01:11 PM
I'd be OK with the death penalty for DUI if that DUI leads to someone else's death.What about the death of an unborn baby?

Curly Bill
8/23/2009, 01:12 PM
What about the death of an unborn baby?

Then it's a fetus and not a baby. :P

StoopTroup
8/23/2009, 01:27 PM
If you want to call your baby "Fetus" Curly....it's fine by me.

jkjsooner
8/23/2009, 02:12 PM
I'd be OK with the death penalty for DUI if that DUI leads to someone else's death.

I have a problem arguing for the death penalty when the difference between the guy who killed someone and the other guy who got a DUI or didn't even get caught is in part just bad luck. (Keep in mind that I believe if someone pulls out in front of you and you hit them and you are drunk it is your fault no matter who actually caused the accident.)

I'm not defending DUI. I'm just saying let's leave the death penalty to those who kill intentionally.

Turd_Ferguson
8/23/2009, 02:32 PM
I have a problem arguing for the death penalty when the difference between the guy who killed someone and the other guy who got a DUI or didn't even get caught is in part just bad luck. (Keep in mind that I believe if someone pulls out in front of you and you hit them and you are drunk it is your fault no matter who actually caused the accident.)

I'm not defending DUI. I'm just saying let's leave the death penalty to those who kill intentionally.Like an abortion?

Crucifax Autumn
8/23/2009, 04:37 PM
If you want to call your baby "Fetus" Curly....it's fine by me.

Curly's more likely to call his baby Cletus.

OUHOMER
8/23/2009, 04:53 PM
What about the death of an unborn baby?

Are you hijacking your own thread?;)

Crucifax Autumn
8/23/2009, 04:58 PM
It's the posse way!

Curly Bill
8/23/2009, 05:04 PM
What's this posse thing you mention?

Crucifax Autumn
8/23/2009, 05:11 PM
It's a little club 04 started.

Turd_Ferguson
8/23/2009, 05:25 PM
It's a little club 04 started.OUT!

CK Sooner
8/23/2009, 05:31 PM
I never drive hammered, but if I have had a couple and feel alright then I do.

AlbqSooner
8/23/2009, 10:17 PM
Captial Murder, i.e. punishable by death, requires "malice aforethought" among other elements. People who perform or have abortions are people who are NOT displaying malice. They may be making a decision between who dies in the case of symptoms which show grave danger to the mother. Likewise, abortions of convenience do not involve a decision on the part of the mother or physician that can reasonably be considered malicious.

Do not misread my words. I am very strongly anti-abortion. HOWEVER, I am very strongly pro-choice as well. I believe the decision to abort a child is between the prospective mother, her physician, and her God.

As far as what to do with DUI, unless the drunk is also suicidal, you simply cannot convince me that any of those driving drunk are out to maliciously kill or injure anyone. I suggest you would have a hard time convincing a jury of that too.

No one who has been drinking thinks they are as impaired as they are. If they were able to recognize that they would never start the car and attempt to drive.

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2009, 10:34 PM
I'm probably in a minority, but I almost always favor laws designed to punish a specific result rather than to prevent a result.

I'm not saying I think people should drive drunk, but I believe the law should be focused on punishing individuals who drive drunk and cause an accident especially when it results in death. A guy driving drunk, in and of itself, hasn't done a thing to anyone else -- I don't see how or why you should severely punish someone for that. Now, if that guy happens to hit someone then he should have his license permanently revoked and be responsible for any damages. If he kills someone then he should get life or the death penalty.

Turd_Ferguson
8/23/2009, 10:55 PM
Do not misread my words. I am very strongly anti-abortion. HOWEVER, I am very strongly pro-choice as well. I believe the decision to abort a child is between the prospective mother, her physician, and her God.Aha. What about the Father...hmmm hmmm?

olevetonahill
8/23/2009, 11:16 PM
Back on Track OK ?
Yup Ive driven Drunk Many times
Anymore if Ive even thot of having a beer I wont get near a Vehicle :cool:

AlbqSooner
8/24/2009, 07:38 AM
Anymore if Ive even thot of having a beer I wont get near a Vehicle :cool:

So THAT'S why you don't drive. ;) :D

AlbqSooner
8/24/2009, 07:39 AM
Aha. What about the Father...hmmm hmmm?

If he wants an abortion it is between him, his physician and his God. Oh, and the National Enquirer.

batonrougesooner
8/24/2009, 09:21 AM
"his God" or just God. Is there more than one?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/24/2009, 09:39 AM
The problem is most people are too proud to admit they are drunk. Everyone says they won't drink and drive, yet they still do. You ever try to take the keys away from a drunk? They never just give them up and always say they are good to drive. It always takes a fight. People never want to admit when they are impaired and most believe that drinking and driving is very wrong, but in that moment, they a) don't believe they are drunk, b) don't want to admit that they are.

Pricetag
8/24/2009, 11:29 AM
I'm against drunk driving, but .08 is a joke.

stoopified
8/24/2009, 02:27 PM
If you want to call your baby "Fetus" Curly....it's fine by me.Curly is a country boy who can't spell,he meant Festus. :D

Curly Bill
8/24/2009, 06:24 PM
Curly is a country boy who can't spell,he meant Festus. :D

You guys leave me out of it. I knew I should never have said a word in an abortion thread. :(

:D

Turd_Ferguson
8/24/2009, 06:49 PM
You guys leave me out of it. I knew I should never have said a word in an abortion thread. :(

:D I love ya CB...

...not like that ya sick bastage!:D

Curly Bill
8/24/2009, 06:55 PM
I love ya CB...

...not like that ya sick bastage!:D

It's OK, I knew better than to post in an abortion thread before I did it, but I couldn't resist stirring the pot a lil bit. :D

Turd_Ferguson
8/24/2009, 07:06 PM
It's OK, I knew better than to post in an abortion thread before I did it, but I couldn't resist stirring the pot a lil bit. :DYou don't by chance, have a troll named LAS do ya?:D

Curly Bill
8/24/2009, 07:09 PM
You don't by chance, have a troll named LAS do ya?:D

Oh noes. I can only hope to someday be the pot stirrer that LAS is. ;)