PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Sooner Games of All-Time?

stoopified
8/23/2009, 10:45 AM
I was thinking about this the other day and I came up with :

!972 OU 17-Nebraska 14 I was 12 years old and this wasthe first football bet I ever made.I was scared at half because we were down 14-3.Tinker made a couple of big catches in the second half and we won,saving my $5.

1973 Barry takes over OU following probation and OU meets UT and Royal for the annual showdown.It was a bloodbath 52-13,OU jumped OUt early and never looked back.Royal didn't know it yet but he WAS NEVER going to beat OU again.His last six RRS he was 0-5-1 and some people STILL can't figure out why he really quit.

1975 OU had just suffered their first loss under Switzer the week before 23-3 and it looked like it was going to be two losses in a row,OU was down 27-20(after being up 20-0)with about three minutes or so to go facing 4TH and 1 on the Sooner 29 yardline.It was at this point I am forced to admit that I lost it and walked out the door.Switzer goes for it and pitches to Little Joe and 71 yards later,TOUCHDOWN OU.Little Joe scores the two point conversion and OU hangs on.I of course did not find this out until later.

1977 OU 29- 28 TOSU OU jumps out 20-0 in the first quarter and the rout is on.Then OU loses QB Thomas Lott to injury,Billy Sims leaves the game hurt and(I think ) Kenny King as well.Buckeyes go up 28-20 and Switzer finally sends in Dean Blevins after using frosh Jay Jimerson who had no luck moving the Sooners.Blevins leads OU to a TD to cut the lead to 28-26 BUT 2 point try fails.OU goes for the onsidekick,recovers it and Von Schaman makes THE KICK.

1986 OU 20 Nehraska 17 OU trails Nebraska late 17-10 in the 4th quarter,Holiway leads OU downfield with his arm using Keith Jackson as a big weapon and OU scores to tie the game 17 all.Most people(myself included) think the Huskers will run out the clock and the game will end in atie.OU D rises up and stuffs NU and takes over with like a minute and a half left.Holiway once agin hits some big passes,including a 41 yard one hand grab by Jackson,to set up Lashar's game winning FG.Following Jacksons one hand grab Sooner pressbox coaches hear a Nebraska coach (in an adjoining box) scream SONUVA BITCH THEY ARE GONNA DO IT TO US AGAIN.

1995 OU 30-27 UT This is just about my only memory of theBlake years.OU was a BIG underdog (24 pts I think) and was winless entering the gamw.Demond Parker and James Allen combined to run OU to victory in OU's first ever OT game.

2000 OU 63-14 UT This was the game that for me signalled not only was the NIGHTMARE over but that a new GREAT SOONER ERA was at hand.UT was beaten from the word go and I loved itQ sored 6 TDs and Brent Musberger said MACK BROWN HAS THE LOOK OF A PUZZLED,PUZZLED MAN.

2000 OU 31-14 NU This game removed what little doubt remained in Sooner hearts that this was a SPECIAL team.The Sooner crowd was the loudest I had ever heard at the start of the game.After Nebraska scored quickly to go up 14-0 it was so quiet you could have heard a marshmellow hit the turf at Owen Field.That is why I think there was still an inkling of doubt in Sooner hearts,at least I know I had a little doubt in mine.Josh brought us back down the field for a couple of quick scores to tie the game and pandemonium reigned. Nebraska never even really threatened to score after that.

2000 OU 13-2 FSU in the FEDEX ORANGE BOWL.OU was supposed to be exposed and beaten by the SUPERIOR talent and experience of Bobby B's Boys.OU D slapped Weinke around all night and did just enough on offense to win.I would be remiss if I failed to mention Jeff Ferguson's great play on the bad snap.IF he was not so quick thinking a possible FSU TD could have made things dicey.

2003 OU 65-13 UT All we kept hearing from UT is that VY was eight feet tall.weighed 350 pounds and could run at the speed of light and had a howitzer arm.We were doomed.Fortunately for us VY earned the nickname FUMBLES MCSCRAMBLE that day and the outcome was quickly decided.

2003 OU 52-9 osu This was the game where Les Miles said TODAY TWO TEAMS PLAY,ONE IS A PRETTY GOOD TEAM AND THE OTHER MIGHT BE THE BEST IN THE NATION.THIS AFTERNOON WE WILL FIND OUT WHICH IS WHICH.Didn't take long for Miles to figure out which was which.I still believe that Bob used this beatdown to send a messageto Miles,not about his pregame comments but about his cockiness after winningin '01,'02.Mark Bradley throwing a TD pass on a trick play with OU up big is one o fthe reasons I feel that way.The look on Miles' face during the game was priceless.

2007 OU 38-17 MU Missouri players shot their mouth off after OU beat them in the regular season saying WE BEAT OURSELVES.The remaych left no questions .Booger Daniel was on the run(for his life) much of the night.

Those are just some of my favorite games and memories,is it time for kickoff yet?

Dan Thompson
8/23/2009, 10:54 AM
2008 #1 TT game at home or maybe the NU game last year.

bstuff1979
8/23/2009, 11:04 AM
my list is a little unconventional, but here it is (*=attended):

*'94 OU at 'Cuse
*'03 OU vs. ut ("SIXTAY FIVE TAH THURTAAYN" -Steven A. Smith)
*'08 OU vs. tech. You can't beat the jump-around.
-'96 OU vs. ut
-'00 OU vs. Neb.
-'88 OU at orange dirt aggies
-'77 OU at them ohio state (went to undergrad in ohio before getting my act together and heading to OU for grad school. The ohio state fans -a vocal majority, though there are cool osu fans- were texans without the accent, so this game was fun to remind them of (so what if they've got scoreboard with '83, they didn't remember, so I didn't remind them).

JBIILonghorns
8/23/2009, 11:20 AM
2000 OU 63-14 UT This was the game that for me signalled not only was the NIGHTMARE over but that a new GREAT SOONER ERA was at hand.UT was beaten from the word go and I loved itQ sored 6 TDs and Brent Musberger said MACK BROWN HAS THE LOOK OF A PUZZLED,PUZZLED MAN.

Musburger didn't call this game. http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e382/JBIIRockets/pictures/rolleyes.gif

Lott's Bandana
8/23/2009, 11:38 AM
'77 tOSU
'08 Tceh

November 18, 1967 - Oklahoma 14 Kansas 10
My first game at Mem Sta.

sooner518
8/23/2009, 12:11 PM
Musburger didn't call this game. http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e382/JBIIRockets/pictures/rolleyes.gif

maybe he was getting it confused with 65-13. happens to me all the time.

stoopified
8/23/2009, 01:08 PM
Musburger didn't call this game. http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e382/JBIIRockets/pictures/rolleyes.gifOk than that quote was 2000 and the 63-14 beatdown. Who called the 2003 game?

JLEW1818
8/23/2009, 01:43 PM
03/04 texas

00 kstate, Neb

JLEW1818
8/23/2009, 01:44 PM
Ok than that quote was 2000 and the 63-14 beatdown. Who called the 2003 game?

Musburger called the 2001 and 2003 games, and here are two of the best Sooner videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzWeDxtMskk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHB7mcs1ykw

Boomer38Sooner
8/23/2009, 02:12 PM
Musburger called the 2001 and 2003 games, and here are two of the best Sooner videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzWeDxtMskk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHB7mcs1ykw

those gave me chills!

JLEW1818
8/23/2009, 02:13 PM
those gave me chills!

I know dude!!!

Salt City Sooner
8/23/2009, 02:36 PM
Sean Grande & David Norrie called the '00 RRS.

ARCO IRIS
8/23/2009, 02:54 PM
My favorite game will be the Rose Bowl in January, 2010, when the Sooners win their 8th NC. Dear Lord, please let it be.

BoulderSooner79
8/23/2009, 03:46 PM
Great list, stoopified - you hit almost all of mine. I'd add the 1981 Orange Bowl where FSU has us 17-10 with a little over 3min remaining. JC Watts led a 78yd drive with tosses to Steve Rhodes being critical. No overtime in CFB back then, so made the 2pt conversion to win 18-17 (Watts to Forrest Valora). We have a history of putting more years on Bobby Bowden. We had beaten FSU 24-7 the previous year and I think we may have played them more recently down there, not sure :)

soonerinabilene
8/23/2009, 04:04 PM
95 tx, 00 tx,ksu,neb, atm, fsu, 02 and 03 bama, 07 miami and tx.

VA Sooner
8/23/2009, 08:34 PM
2009 OU-Texas. Defense keeps Colt McCoy on his toes and the line takes away all running options. Several attempts at passing with DEs in his face will lead to a few interceptions.

Then fade to memories of the 2001 Red River Rivalry.

MyT Oklahoma
8/23/2009, 11:45 PM
1971 OU/NU. It will always be a classic.
1974 OU at KU. The first time I saw the Sooners play live.
1975 OU/NU. So many people wrote the Sooners off beforehand.
1978 OU/KSU. My first game in the Snake Pit.
1986 OU/*. I was there.
1987 OU/*. I was there again.
1988 OU/*. I was there still yet again.
2006 Big 12 Championship Game. The first time I took my daughter to an OU game.
2008 Big 12 Championship Game. The last time I took my daughter to an OU game.

olevetonahill
8/24/2009, 02:53 AM
**** Yall
I say Every Dayum One of em :P :D

stoopified
8/24/2009, 10:25 AM
Great list, stoopified - you hit almost all of mine. I'd add the 1981 Orange Bowl where FSU has us 17-10 with a little over 3min remaining. JC Watts led a 78yd drive with tosses to Steve Rhodes being critical. No overtime in CFB back then, so made the 2pt conversion to win 18-17 (Watts to Forrest Valora). We have a history of putting more years on Bobby Bowden. We had beaten FSU 24-7 the previous year and I think we may have played them more recently down there, not sure :)1981 OU-FSU OB was great,I can't believe I left that game off my list.

Vet ,I'm sorry brother there is no way all Sooner games can be your favorite.Recall 3-23,6-31,7-69,21-73 and others I have blocked out of memory..If you are the Sooner fan I believe you are All you need are these scores(not teams or even years) to bring back nightmare memories.

As for the Musberger quote,whichever the hell UT beatdown that was said,it is priceless.

MyT Oklahoma
8/24/2009, 06:31 PM
Add the 2000 OU/* game to the list because it came right after my divorce and boy did it ever cheer me up. Not that I wasn't glad that the wife was gone of course.

MiccoMacey
8/24/2009, 06:51 PM
Alabama - 2002: We had previously lost our last home game to OSU the previous year. White goes down in the 1st quarter, and Hybl comes in. Renaldo White makes one of the best plays in Sooner history on a 47 yard shuttle pass to the Alabama eight yard line with two minutes left. Kejuan Jones scores for the go ahead points, and our defense tacks one on with 30 seconds remaining.

If we lose that game (and it looked like we would with only four minutes left in the fourth quarter), we would lose our second home game in a row, we would start the season with a loss, and our 1st string QB goes down and is replaced by who many people feel was a very unreliable QB in 2001.

Considering the game was close because OU couldn't muster any offense, if we did lose that game there's no way our kids would rebound to become Big Twelve champs and Rose Bowl winners.

SoonerCoug
8/24/2009, 06:54 PM
OU vs BYU at the 1994 Copper Bowl

BoulderSooner79
8/24/2009, 06:55 PM
Ah, so you admit your '84 season was a fraud!

CincySooner
8/25/2009, 10:43 AM
Sean Grande & David Norrie called the '00 RRS.

whichever one of those two that said these gems deserves a hug:

and just when texas is stumbling along the ropes, Oklahoma delivers one right between the eyes... how appropriate that it was by a man named Rocky.

the eyes of texas have been blackened here at the cotton bowl today

StoopTroup
8/25/2009, 10:48 AM
There was been and probably never will be anything like watching Sooners flood the field after they beat Eric Crouch and the Huskers in Bob's 2nd Season as Head Coach.

Great game and the greatest Sooner Crowd I have ever seen.

I still have pics of the Orange Bowl Committee Folks that were at the Game and the ESPN GameDay Crew's set inside the Stadium that day.

A day I will never forget.

SoonerAcesUp
8/25/2009, 10:58 AM
There was been and probably never will be anything like watching Sooners flood the field after they beat Eric Crouch and the Huskers in Bob's 2nd Season as Head Coach.

Great game and the greatest Sooner Crowd I have ever seen.

I still have pics of the Orange Bowl Committee Folks that were at the Game and the ESPN GameDay Crew's set inside the Stadium that day.

A day I will never forget.

That game is absolutely my favorite game to be in attendance. It was so loud! I get chills thinking about the atmosphere of that day.

virginiasooner
8/25/2009, 11:29 AM
1977 OU v. Ohio State. Great kick!
1978 OU v. West Virginia. My first home game. The West Virginia band on the field and passing out in the 3rd and 4th quarters in their wool unis due to the heat.
1994 OU v. Syracuse. the Carrier Dome SUCKS!!!
2000 OU v. Texas. I didn't even see it on the teevee, but hearing the score led me to whooping it up in an inappropriate place.
2003 OU v. WSU. The Rose Bowl is AWESOME!!! Lifelong dream came true.
2009 OU v. Pokes. I WANT A BEATDOWN since I'll be at the game.

olevetonahill
8/25/2009, 12:10 PM
1981 OU-FSU OB was great,I can't believe I left that game off my list.

Vet ,I'm sorry brother there is no way all Sooner games can be your favorite.Recall 3-23,6-31,7-69,21-73 and others I have blocked out of memory..If you are the Sooner fan I believe you are All you need are these scores(not teams or even years) to bring back nightmare memories.

As for the Musberger quote,whichever the hell UT beatdown that was said,it is priceless.

But My friend those Loses Made the Huge Wins sweeter
jes sayin

BoulderSooner79
8/25/2009, 12:21 PM
^This. Triumph means nothing without great competition.

badger
8/25/2009, 12:56 PM
OU/Tech last year. OU/Mizzou in Norman the year before. OU/Bammer in both 2002 (here) and 2003 (there). OU/UTEP rain dance game in 2002.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/25/2009, 11:22 PM
One of my all-time favorites was the 71 OU Texas game.

We had lost four in a row to the Longhorns and 12 of the last 13..... a horrible drought. Even worse, we had been blown out 41 - 9 the year before, when we trotted out the wishbone midseason.

But with a year's experience at the wishbone under offensive coordinator Barry Switzer, we met the challenge and whipped Texas 48 - 27.

What is amazing is that we rushed on 72 plays and passed on only two plays. Greg Pruitt rushed for 216 on 20 carries, and three first half touchdowns. Jack Mildren contributed 111 yards on his 27 carries, and scored a pair of second half touchdowns.

"I've never seen such speed," Texas Coach Royal said afterward. "Their backs look like they are running downhill."

Everyone knows about the 71 game of the century w/ Nebraska, but for a Sooner Fan, that 71 texas game was so satisfying.

soonerboy
8/25/2009, 11:26 PM
not just one game but the 3 games in october of 2000 Texas, K-State, Nebraska.

soonerinkeywest
8/25/2009, 11:41 PM
1987 OU-Nebraska game..My first as A Sooner fan :-).

MyT Oklahoma
8/26/2009, 12:04 AM
Add the 2007 OU/Miami beatdown game. I had to go to two different sports bars to watch all of that game. Anybody who remembers the '85 and '86 games plus the '88 Orange Bowl had to enjoy the payback.

stoopified
8/26/2009, 10:08 AM
But My friend those Loses Made the Huge Wins sweeter
jes sayinThat is true brother,NO DOUBT.

Mico Macey I assume that your reference to Renaldo White is missing a :) .
It was of course Renaldo Works who turned in not just one great play but TWO on back to back plays.Renaldo took two shovel pitches and went something like 37 and 42 yards on consecutive plays setting up OU's go-ahead TD.While this was not a memoeable win to me because Bama was a 6-6 team, this was a GREAT Sooner win.

Salt City Sooner
8/26/2009, 04:28 PM
It should be a tad more memorable than that then ;). 'Bama went 10-3 that year & won the SEC West, losing only to Georgia (#3 in the final AP poll), OU (#5) & Auburn (#14). The only reason they didn't play in the SEC CG was that they were on probation, & they finished the year @ #11 nationally.

stoopified
8/26/2009, 04:47 PM
It should be a tad more memorable than that then ;). 'Bama went 10-3 that year & won the SEC West, losing only to Georgia (#3 in the final AP poll), OU (#5) & Auburn (#14). The only reason they didn't play in the SEC CG was that they were on probation, & they finished the year @ #11 nationally.
You are right .Apparently I had that Bama team confused with the one we played the next year(finished 4-9) in Tuscaloosa.We barely won that one 20-13.

MiccoMacey
8/27/2009, 01:05 PM
That is true brother,NO DOUBT.

Mico Macey I assume that your reference to Renaldo White is missing a :) .
It was of course Renaldo Works who turned in not just one great play but TWO on back to back plays.Renaldo took two shovel pitches and went something like 37 and 42 yards on consecutive plays setting up OU's go-ahead TD.While this was not a memoeable win to me because Bama was a 6-6 team, this was a GREAT Sooner win.

Crap....and his daddy is a firefighter up here in Tulsa. Yeah, I meant Works not White.

Thanks for the catch.

badger
8/27/2009, 01:26 PM
In honor of :les:NINE DAYS TILL SOONER FOOTBALL[hairGel], I posted the final score of Badlem 03 on the countdown thread, since the score was 52-9.

Funny... I kind of remember the game and I remember the final score and all, but I imagine all I did in the stands was giggle a lot at OSU's screwed uppedness.