PDA

View Full Version : Jerry's board

swardboy
8/23/2009, 06:39 AM
...so it got hit repeatedly by punters last Friday night...and Jerry ain't gonna fix it! It would cost $2,000,000 to fix.

I'll be ticked if it gets hit during our game.

AlbqSooner
8/23/2009, 06:49 AM
Jerry needs to address this. Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg has a rule regarding batted balls which hit the girders which are above the field of play.

adoniijahsooner
8/23/2009, 06:50 AM
...so it got hit repeatedly by punters last Friday night...and Jerry ain't gonna fix it! It would cost $2,000,000 to fix.

Yeah, BYU will have plenty of chances, but I dont think we will.

ouwapiti
8/23/2009, 07:19 AM
i think its rather comical that they spend 1.2b and cant figure out how high a punt goes !!!!!!!!!nice job jerry.........on the other hand...whats 2m to jerry????he could write a personal check for that amount probably

IGotNoTiming
8/23/2009, 08:51 AM
Apparently the ARE raising it for a U2 concert soon so it has the ability to move. There is talk they may leave it....

What is funny is that Jerry's board of doom, according to him, is 5 feet above what was required by the league...

1.18 billion and there is still controversy. very funny...

DrZaius
8/23/2009, 09:08 AM
All I know is that they better leave. Punts hitting it or not that size monitor is BadAzz.

Curly Bill
8/23/2009, 11:04 AM
I heard they can and will move it up higher. They didn't do it the other night when they saw in warmups that the punters were hitting it because there were already fans in the stadium, and supposedly there isn't supposed to be any extra peeps in there when the raising procedure is carried out for safety reasons.

SoonerLB
8/23/2009, 11:16 AM
Oh no, ............. now the pizzas will cost $120!

ouleaf
8/23/2009, 12:16 PM
Just from looking at pics and renderings of the stadium it always looked like the board was low enough for a Punter to hit the bottom of it.

colleyvillesooner
8/23/2009, 01:09 PM
Jerry has no plans to move it. If you kick it high enough to hit it and just miss, your punt is going 30 yards and you won't be the punter much longer.

badger
8/23/2009, 01:24 PM

I was joking with NP that it would be effing hilarious if a punted ball hit Jerry's Jumbotron, you heard a little zap zap noise, and the entire monitor zonked out.

If and when that happens, send that punter to the HoF :D

StoopTroup
8/23/2009, 01:33 PM
If and when that happens, send that punter to the HoF :D

I'd be funny if he got in and Farve didn't. :D :pop:

JLEW1818
8/23/2009, 01:38 PM
Oh no, ............. now the pizzas will cost $120!

haha for real

swardboy
8/23/2009, 03:37 PM
Jerry has no plans to move it. If you kick it high enough to hit it and just miss, your punt is going 30 yards and you won't be the punter much longer.

Respectfully...as a collegiate punter, my best shots were my highest that nosed over. It assured 55 yards from point of kick, or 45 yards + from line of scrimmage. I'm sure Colquitt of the Chiefs would ding it every time...his hang time is ludicrous...yes, I know he's afc.

oudivesherpa
8/23/2009, 04:02 PM
I assume the ball is in play if you hit the scoreboard?

AlbqSooner
8/23/2009, 04:10 PM
I assume the ball is in play if you hit the scoreboard?

Kinda like off the nets in arena ball?:D

Crucifax Autumn
8/23/2009, 04:43 PM
They replay the down, but don't put the time back on the clock.

No one will exploit that!

goingoneight
8/23/2009, 09:43 PM
Why even punt? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WOFjq_xYy8)

JLEW1818
8/23/2009, 09:53 PM
Why even punt? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WOFjq_xYy8)

wish we would have done that against texas

gaylordfan1
8/24/2009, 07:44 AM
I'm sure OU and BYU have contacted each other and talked about how to handle this. I'm not sure but I have heard there is a rule in the books in the NFL for situations like this, but not in college. Maybe the NCAA will figure something out for such a high profile game against BYU. Thats if Balogun hasn't taken up all their time.

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 07:57 AM
Is it just place wherever it lands in college?

gaylordfan1
8/24/2009, 08:13 AM
Is it just place wherever it lands in college?

I believe it is a replay of downs in the NFL and time is not put back on the clock. I would think something like this would be adopted by the NCAA. Could you imagine if the punt deflected off the monitor backwards and into the endzone and the other team jumps on it? Could be a game changing moment! Doesn't seem fair.

ouleaf
8/24/2009, 11:47 AM
I'd be surprised if it really comes into play a lot this year. While it is a hassle that it is so low, unless you are really trying to hit the board is when it is most likely to happen.

TMcGee86
8/24/2009, 04:12 PM
It wasn't hit repeatedly, it was hit just once, in the third quarter.

This is a non issue. There's really only about a 10 yard window where it will even be an issue.

The Titans were trying to hit it all night and still only managed to do it once. Fisher just wanted to bitch about it.

I would be willing to bet that it never gets hit once during the regular season.

And it is 5 feet higher than the NFL mandates. If the NFL wants it higher they need to change the regulation.

bluedogok
8/24/2009, 08:57 PM
I'm sure Colquitt of the Chiefs would ding it every time...his hang time is ludicrous...yes, I know he's afc.
The Cowboys play the Chiefs at Arrowhead in October so he won't get the chance this season.

I think the Titans punters hit it a few times in warmups but only once during the game.

SoonerJack
8/25/2009, 07:41 AM
Bluedogok got it right. The announcers said that the Titans punter hit it several times in practice. Then he hit it once during the game.

w0lfe
8/25/2009, 08:00 AM
Whats another million or two?

sooner518
8/25/2009, 08:02 AM
this is all over Dallas sports radio and there are like a million reports. some people were calling in saying that construction workers came into a restaurant across from the stadium and told him they were raising it up. people saying they're raising it for the U2 concert. people saying it is lower for the U2 concert and they will raise it afterwards.

i personally think it is somewhat of a non-issue and wont really come into play during the year more than one or two times. and i do think the Titans went after it on purpose. not saying that an NFL punter couldnt unintentionally hit it, but in most cases, its probably not real likely.

w0lfe
8/25/2009, 08:04 AM
this is all over Dallas sports radio and there are like a million reports. some people were calling in saying that construction workers came into a restaurant across from the stadium and told him they were raising it up. people saying they're raising it for the U2 concert. people saying it is lower for the U2 concert and they will raise it afterwards.

i personally think it is somewhat of a non-issue and wont really come into play during the year more than one or two times. and i do think the Titans went after it on purpose. not saying that an NFL punter couldnt unintentionally hit it, but in most cases, its probably not real likely.

Yeah I heard they were raising it for the U2 concert. And now that the NFL is investigating it, it should stay raised.

TMcGee86
8/25/2009, 11:51 AM
It has to be disabled to be raised and will be for the U2 concert. It cannot work when it's raised, that's why they don't just raise it and keep it there.

Plus Jerry put it at the optimal viewing level for the peeps paying the most money to sit in the stadium.

StoopTroup
8/25/2009, 11:57 AM
He's always thinking about the little people.

OUDoc
8/25/2009, 12:08 PM
Drop it down to about 8-10' off the field, kinda like 'bumper pool' football.

swardboy
8/25/2009, 12:34 PM
Now Jerry says the board gives the Cowboys an advantage...it's harder to see the ball against the dark background of the board, so Cowboys, who will be more used to it, will have the advantage over visiting teams in fielding punts cleanly. I'll bet the field can even be tilted a little bit downfield for the 'boys too.