PDA

View Full Version : One of NU top running back's booted...

royalfan5
8/22/2009, 02:02 PM
Quentin Castille, effectively NU 1B running back has been kicked off the team. Roy Helu 1A RB tends to get dinged up, so by the time the NU/OU game rolls around NU could be relying on freshmen for the running game.

birddog
8/22/2009, 02:35 PM
and now you know the difference between callenberger and pelini.

Jacie
8/22/2009, 02:39 PM
. . .by the time the NU/OU game rolls around NU could be relying on freshmen for the running game.

Sometimes that is not a bad thing.

royalfan5
8/22/2009, 02:41 PM
and now you know the difference between callenberger and pelini.

Well Pelini's players have been getting arrested at a faster clip than Callahan's, so I wouldn't read to much into that.

BoulderSooner79
8/22/2009, 03:53 PM
I'm not as sold on NU as most analysts I read. I do think Pelini will turn things around, but he has a new/unproven QB this year and seems to have started with to many off field issues. No team will win the big12 north :)

Crucifax Autumn
8/22/2009, 03:57 PM
Hopefully they will have a 3 way tie.

oudivesherpa
8/22/2009, 04:34 PM
Hopefully they will have a 3 way tie.

That will be decided by Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Crucifax Autumn
8/22/2009, 04:41 PM
In the north they might as well just send the 4th place team.

Rhino
8/22/2009, 05:04 PM
Drugs.

goingoneight
8/22/2009, 05:04 PM
They'll hae a three-way tie.

Mangino will fly banners over the NU/CU game at the end of the season and all three North powers will spend the whole offseason bitching that they didn't get to go to the Cotton Bowl. :D

royalfan5
8/22/2009, 05:25 PM
Drugs.

I like to imagine the kicking off of Castille happend as follows:

Sean Watson: Do you know why your getting kicked off the team?

Castille: (Confused look on face)

Sean Watson: Fumbling and...

Castille: Fumbling and..?

Watson: Fumbling and..Fumbling and...

Bo Pelini:...Smoking the reefer....

Castille: (Hangs head in shame)

GottaHavePride
8/22/2009, 05:53 PM
That will be decided by Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

Fixed.

finster
8/22/2009, 06:11 PM
R U N? dude stop laughin.......R? U? N? AAARRRRRGG
It aint easy being Pilini
Really, I do feel for Bo. Having to follow that last clown they had who was worse than smellyburbon,They just took longer to figure it out.
Nebraska, "Greatest fans on earth" Dumb as a box of rocks.

AlbqSooner
8/23/2009, 07:02 AM
They'll hae a three-way tie.

Mangino will fly over the NU/CU game next to Snoopy at the end of the season and all three North powers will spend the whole offseason bitching that they didn't get to go to the Cotton Bowl. :D

Fixed.

kbsooner
8/23/2009, 08:03 AM
Fixed.

Not sure how many will get this, but nice nonetheless.

soonerfan28
8/23/2009, 08:19 PM
Well Pelini's players have been getting arrested at a faster clip than Callahan's, so I wouldn't read to much into that.

He's been there 1 year so I would hesitate to call too many of these guys "Pelini's players".

VA Sooner
8/23/2009, 08:37 PM
Definitely will hurt the Huskers offense this year.

I think Bo will turn the team around as well... but it won't be this year. It will be a big step and perhaps to a smaller bowl game, but not quite where they used to be.

royalfan5
8/23/2009, 09:08 PM
He's been there 1 year so I would hesitate to call too many of these guys "Pelini's players".
They weren't getting cuffed when Bill was around though.

soonerloyal
8/24/2009, 09:44 AM
I wish only the best to Pelini and his efforts to bring the Huskers back to consistent prominence. Ours is one of the most respectful and enjoyable CFB rivalries out there.

badger
8/24/2009, 10:02 AM
I want the Huskers to be a winning program... I just don't want them to beat us.

In fact, it'd be nice if all of our opponents were like this, wouldn't it? :D

soonerfan28
8/24/2009, 10:34 AM
They weren't getting cuffed when Bill was around though.

So your saying Bill could get them out of trouble better then Pelini or maybe Pelini isn't gonna get them out of trouble.

JLEW1818
8/24/2009, 10:48 AM
I like Pelini... maybe a replacement when ever Stoops leaves?

royalfan5
8/24/2009, 04:58 PM
So your saying Bill could get them out of trouble better then Pelini or maybe Pelini isn't gonna get them out of trouble.

Considering Pelini's general leininecy towards some of the folk that have been arrested, I think he may run a slightly looser ship legal wise. E.g. Hunter Tefeatiller's dui exploits.

goingoneight
8/24/2009, 05:53 PM
I know that QB you had last year (the JUCO transfer I think?) really came out and played well during his time almost in a surprising manner? How much of his play was Shawn Watson's system? Is NU in seriously in trouble or did they look like they might have a good QB/attack in any of their scrimmages?

NU is one of those teams I like to see do well, just not better than us. :D

Salt City Sooner
8/24/2009, 09:02 PM
Not a good week to have "ex-NU RB" behind your name:

OMAHA, Neb. -- Former Nebraska running back Thunder Collins was convicted Monday of first-degree murder and other charges stemming from a September 2008 shooting in Omaha that left one man dead and another seriously wounded.

The Douglas County jury also found the former Cornhuskers player guilty of attempted second-degree murder, felony assault and two weapons counts.

The 29-year-old faces a mandatory sentence of life in prison for the first-degree murder conviction. He faces up to 170 years on the other counts, said Deputy County Attorney John Alagaban. Sentencing is set for Nov. 12.

As Collins left the courtroom, he yelled at the jury of six men and six women, "Are you happy? Are you happy? You know I didn't kill anyone!"

He later told reporters in a jailhouse interview that he thinks he was convicted because he was a well known figure in the community.

"If I was just any other Joe Blow, I feel I would have beat this case," he said.

Collins was arrested last September within a day of an Omaha shooting that left 38-year-old Timothy Thomas dead and another California man, Marshall Turner, seriously wounded.

Prosecutors said the shooting stemmed from a botched drug deal in which Collins masterminded a plan to rob the men.

Collins' attorney, Steve Lefler, argued that prosecution witnesses were lying, and said Collins would appeal.

Alagaban said he believes justice was served.

"It's an appropriate, just verdict, especially for a victim who was killed and executed basically on a garage floor," he said.

Collins played for the Cornhuskers from 2000-02. He quit the team midseason saying he couldn't afford to keep playing and needed to focus on taking care of a younger brother, whom he moved from Los Angeles to Nebraska to protect him from gangs. His decision to leave followed a four-game suspension for an undisclosed NCAA rules violation.

He also had a brief stint in 2003 with the Montreal Allouettes of the Canadian Football League.

Originally from Los Angeles, Collins was a junior college All-American in 1998 who was touted by recruiting analysts as the next in a long line of great Nebraska running backs.

But Collins never lived up to his hype. His best season was in 2001, when he played in 12 games, ran for 647 yards and five touchdowns and caught 19 passes for 189 yards.

Collins has had several brushes with the law, including in 2006, when he was sentenced to 10 days in jail after he pleaded no contest to obstructing an Omaha police officer. Witnesses said Collins had been involved in a shooting, and police found marijuana in his pocket.

In 2003, he was acquitted of assault and burglary charges in Corvallis, Ore., that stemmed from accusations about an alleged confrontation with an ex-girlfriend and an Oregon State football player.

In 2002, Collins pleaded guilty to disturbing the peace in Lincoln. That was part of an agreement with prosecutors to drop two assault charges connected to alleged fights with the same woman in Lincoln.

Another man is also charged in Thomas' death. Karnell Burton, 21, has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder and other charges in the slaying and is scheduled to stand trial in October.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4419898

Breadburner
8/24/2009, 09:22 PM
Lawrence Phillips was in the news again a couple of weeks ago to....

deweydw
8/25/2009, 10:51 AM
When Castille made it to NU. Couple of the coaches in our district were shocked that he made it to NU. Didn't think he had the grades to get there. When Castille played in HS, he didn't like playing against the big teams. His senior season, our d shut him down. I'm sure Sam Houston State will pick him up.

StoopTroup
8/25/2009, 11:03 AM
I think it's between KU, NU and Mizzou this year...but who knows the mildcats could be in there too. Tough in the North this year.

royalfan5
8/25/2009, 04:04 PM
I know that QB you had last year (the JUCO transfer I think?) really came out and played well during his time almost in a surprising manner? How much of his play was Shawn Watson's system? Is NU in seriously in trouble or did they look like they might have a good QB/attack in any of their scrimmages?

NU is one of those teams I like to see do well, just not better than us. :D

Ganz wasn't a JUCO, he was an afterthought recruit in Callahan's first class, and turned out to be a pretty decent QB his senior year. Good thing we beat Eastern Michigan baseball out for his services. Zac Lee looked pretty good in the Spring Game, and has better physical tools than Ganz did, so expecations are pretty high for him. He was a pretty highly rated 3 to play 3 Juco out of CA. Behind him is a converted LB and a highly touted freshman as the top backup last year (Witt) transferred after getting beat out, and the other QB (Spano) has blown out the same knee twice since April. If Lee stays healthy I think offensively we will be okay assuming a couple of the young receivers step it up, and Helu stays healthy and/or Burkhead is the real deal immediately.