PDA

View Full Version : This Sucks!!!

madillsoonerfan5353
8/21/2009, 03:31 PM
:mad: Sooners LB Wort has torn ACLComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

Oklahoma's heralded freshman Tom Wort will miss the season with a torn ACL, coach Bob Stoops said Friday, providing another hit to the Sooners' depth a middle linebacker.

"He was just jumping up for a ball and came down funny," Stoops told ESPN.com's Tim Griffin after Thursday's practice.

Big 12 blog
ESPN.com's Tim Griffin writes about all things Big 12 in his conference blog.

• Blog network:
College Football Nation

Wort was one of the revelations of the Sooners' training camp, thanks to his strong work throughout the early practices. He was expected to immediately join the Sooners' playing rotation and contribute on special teams as Oklahoma prepares for its Sept. 5 opener against BYU.

The Sooners' depth at the position has taken a recent hit with senior middle linebacker Mike Balogun's eligibility issues. Balogun was decertified by the NCAA last week for playing in a semi-pro football league after he turned 21. His playing status is uncertain for the upcoming season.

Balogun filed a lawsuit against the NCAA and was granted a temporary restraining order so he could continue practicing past the NCAA's 14-day blanket waiver, which expired on Wednesday. His case will be heard Monday in Cleveland County (Okla.) District Court. Balogun has continued practicing with the team.

Sooners starting middle linebacker Ryan Reynolds is overcoming a knee injury that forced him to miss the final eight games of the 2008 season. He has also been sidelined earlier in training camp for some practices with a slight hamstring injury.

Wort, from New Braunfels, Texas, was born in England before moving to the United States. He has played American football for only six years.

JLEW1818
8/21/2009, 03:35 PM
:(

Collier11
8/21/2009, 03:42 PM
I dont see any direct quotes from Stoops other than what he said yesterday after it happened, are we sure Griffin just isnt assuming the worst?

JLEW1818
8/21/2009, 03:44 PM
torn, out for season

http://www.newsok.com/sooners-lb-tom-wort-out-for-season-with-torn-acl/article/3394526?custom_click=headlines_widget

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 03:44 PM
I dont see any direct quotes from Stoops other than what he said yesterday after it happened, are we sure Griffin just isnt assuming the worst?

It was reported from every site.

Collier11
8/21/2009, 03:46 PM
CK, you arent allowed to post anything else in the football forum, it is all BS bad news

MojoRisen
8/21/2009, 03:47 PM
OK, I think Balogun is going to win in court! The Judge is a sooner fan!

Here is to Wort lifting weights and getting his bench up to 450 and gaining 20 pounds of muscle!

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 03:48 PM
OK, I think Balogun is going to win in court! The Judge is a sooner fan!

Here is to Wort lifting weights and getting his bench up to 450 and gaining 20 pounds of muscle!

If he does when it still won't matter because he OU won't play him unless the NCAA gives them full clearance. The NCAA will continue to push the case and if they eventually win the case and we have played Balogun then we forfeit all of the games he played in.

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 03:49 PM
CK, you arent allowed to post anything else in the football forum, it is all BS bad news

Sorry!

:D

MojoRisen
8/21/2009, 03:54 PM
If he does when it still won't matter because he OU won't play him unless the NCAA gives them full clearance. The NCAA will continue to push the case and if they eventually win the case and we have played Balogun then we forfeit all of the games he played in.

Serious? He should have sued for a million dollars then and put some teeth in it. Could'nt OU say he played until any apeal that took place - and is eligiable until proven otherwise?

Collier11
8/21/2009, 03:59 PM

I was reading today and surprisingly one of the rules the NCAA is using was found to be overreaching by a federal court in the osu Andrew Oliver case last yr. I will see if I can find the article and post a link.

What that means to us is if he is cleared by the court initially then OU could likely play him without punishment from the NCAA

Collier11
8/21/2009, 04:03 PM
Here it is, of course it would be the TW since the DOK does zero journalistic research or any fact finding, damn they are worthless!

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090821_92_B6_Oklaho231429

Breaking down Balogun's case

Oklahoma senior linebacker Mike Balogun had his eligibility decertified last week. He is suing the NCAA, which contends he played organized football after the age of 21.

What evidence exists indicating Balogun played after his 21st birthday?

Balogun turned 21 on Sept. 28, 2004, and several online resources indicate he competed in organized football after that date:

A January 2005 press release from the Maryland Marauders shows Balogun was MVP of the NAFL2 championship game in November 2004.

An online game recap from the November 2005 NAFL championship game shows Balogun made seven tackles.

A game report on the NAFL Web site shows Balogun also made a fumble recovery in that game.

SemiProFootball.org lists Balogun as an NAFL all-star in 2005.

A July 2008 report on the Web site Gazette.net (the Maryland Gazette/Maryland Community Newspapers Online) reports that Balogun also played for the Prince George Jets, a winter semi-pro league, in 2005-06. The article quoted several of Balogun's former coaches and reported that he was out of football for three years and played for three years in the semi-pro or amateur level before attending junior college.

A game report on the Web site PiranhaFootball.net shows Balogun played for the Marauders in a July 2006 game, recounting his near-touchdown on a fumble recovery.

Oklahoma knew about Balogun's participation in 2005 and submitted the information to the NCAA prior to Balogun's certification as an OU student-athlete in May 2008. Balogun and his former team owner dispute that he played after his 21st birthday. A former NAFL commissioner told the Tulsa World and OU's compliance department that information on the league's Web site was often inaccurate.

Did winning the injunction from Cleveland County District Court mean he's being allowed to practice with the team?

Yes, Balogun practiced Thursday — beyond the NCAA's blanket waiver deadline that expired Wednesday — and he will continue to practice. The court could decide on Monday whether he's allowed to continue practicing, although that doesn't mean he will play in games. That call likely will fall on the OU athletic compliance department.

What is Florida State's role in this?

Although Balogun's story already had been well publicized, it wasn't until Fox Sports commentators spoke about it during the Sooners' BCS championship game against Florida on Jan. 8 that a compliance officer from Florida State found out.

At the time, the Seminoles had a player who was going through a similar situation, so the FSU compliance officer sent an e-mail inquiry to the Big 12 Conference, which forwarded its concern to OU. OU assured the Big 12 that Balogun was eligible per the NCAA's certification, but the FSU official telephoned OU's compliance office about the above-mentioned 2005 NAFL title game box score.

OU's compliance department replied that it, too, had the same information, but submitted that the box score was incorrect. OU decided to take another look at Balogun's case anyway. During that investigation, a former Balogun assistant coach, Dennis Felton, told OU that he believed Balogun had played from 2004-06. OU submitted this new information to the NCAA, which reopened its own investigation.

What is the NCAA rule in question?

NCAA Bylaw 14.2.3.5 takes away one season of varsity competition for each 12-month period in which a student-athlete participates in an organized competition. This excludes tennis and swimming/diving, and does not pertain to participation in other sports, such as football players who play minor league baseball.

What does Balogun have going in his favor?

If the court rules that Internet references are not proof of Balogun's participation, or if it rules that unsworn, unrecorded, unverified statements are inadmissible, it could declare that the NCAA's decertification is in error. And, although it seems unlikely, the NCAA could bend.

"There is no final decision regarding Mr. Balogun's eligibility," NCAA spokesman Erik Christianson wrote in an e-mail.

What does Balogun have going against him?

The NCAA likely will use all its resources in court. That could include evidence and/or testimony that hasn't yet been brought to light. Also, even if the court strikes down the NCAA's decertification, OU probably won't let Balogun play for fear of future possible reprisal from the NCAA. If that happens, Balogun could conceivably sue the school, too, though his best hope might be to stay in good standing at OU for as long as possible and eventually be allowed to attend OU's Pro Day, where he would work out for NFL scouts.

Could OU get into trouble if the court strikes down the NCAA's decertification?

NCAA Bylaw 19.7 gives the NCAA the ability to penalize a program in cases where an ineligible player has been allowed to play because of a court injunction. But earlier this year, when former Oklahoma State pitcher Andrew Oliver sued the NCAA to get his eligibility reinstated, an Ohio judge called Bylaw 19.7 "overreaching." Balogun's attorney hopes to use that ruling as legal precedent, which might help OU decide it's OK to let Balogun play.

JLEW1818
8/21/2009, 04:05 PM
so the top 6 LBS are....

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:05 PM
I just hope he is cleared.

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:06 PM
so the top 6 LBS are....

Ryan Reynolds
Travis Lewis
Keenan Clayton
J.R. Bryant
Austin Box
Jayden Bird

Collier11
8/21/2009, 04:06 PM
so the top 6 LBS are....

Clayton
Reynolds
Lewis
Box
Bryant
Bird

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:07 PM
They said 6-7 months for Tom Wort.

JLEW1818
I bet R. Lewis can jump up by season end? If he just gets a few 4th quarter snaps a game... RS him, unless we need him on ST

CK Sooner
Clayton
Reynolds
Lewis
Box
Bryant
Bird

Reynolds goes above Clayton!

:eek:

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:08 PM
I bet R. Lewis can jump up by season end? If he just get a few 4th quarter snaps a game... RS her him, unless we need him on ST

Lewis has great potential, but I don't think he is ready. If he got snaps through the season like you said then MAYBE.

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:09 PM
Don't forget about Daniel Franklin! He is suppose to be Keenan Claytons backup and has proved himself this offseason.

JLEW1818
8/21/2009, 04:10 PM
I'm ready to see some QC hits

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:11 PM
I'm ready to see some QC hits

I am ready to see Proctor. If he turns out to be a good player then I think this defense can be REALLY good. In my opinion he is our only question mark on defense.

gaylordfan1
8/21/2009, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I was wondering if R. Lewis would get some reps @ MLB. I hear they are grooming him to play DE. Who knows......

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:12 PM
ecbU_IsFxWk

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:13 PM
KgSi1nG-hkc

JLEW1818
8/21/2009, 04:13 PM
quit teasing me

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I was wondering if R. Lewis would get some reps @ MLB. I hear they are grooming him to play DE. Who knows......

They are grooming him to play a position that Sergio Kindle plays for Texas, but if Balogun doesn't get cleared then expect him to get more snaps at middle linebacker. (he is splitting snaps between defensive end and linebacker right now)

JLEW1818
8/21/2009, 04:15 PM
so what are the chances we see a

Lewis Lewis combo in 2010

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:18 PM
Have you guys heard of Marcus Trice? If you have been watching the practice videos he is the smallest dude on the team (5'8) and you can tell. I was watching the DB drills and Gabe Lynn just ran him over like he wasn't there and that worries me a lot. I was watching the scrimmage videos and the kid was laying some hits and the coaches are praising him a lot! He is suppose to be behind Proctor if he gets hurt. Yep, the word is he jumped Javon Harris and we all know how good he was made out to be. Another freshman to watch at DB is Demontre Hurst.

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:18 PM
so what are the chances we see a

Lewis Lewis combo in 2010

Not good unless we have three injuries at MLB. I think Daniel Franklin will get the chance before he does.

JLEW1818
8/21/2009, 04:19 PM
will Gabe play this year?

BoulderSooner79
8/21/2009, 04:20 PM
This Balogun thing is tough for both the team and Mike. It's obvious OU will follow the letter of the law to avoid any hint of using an ineligible player. The tough part is even practicing him in the meantime. With Wort out, every snap in practice is crucial and a waste on Mike B. if he ultimately loses his appeal. But it would be unfair for the coaches to implicitly punish him by assuming the worst.

It's tough on Mike because he already has his hands full just trying to win some PT against Reynolds and others. I just hope he didn't lie about anything to cause this and gets fully cleared to play.

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:20 PM
will Gabe play this year?

That is actually very hard to guess on. I think its 50/50 on whether they redshirt him or don't. He would only play on special teams and get mop-up duty.

Collier11
8/21/2009, 04:22 PM
We need to groom some young guys cus there is a very good chance that Franks is gone I would think if he has a good year again

MojoRisen
Hurst & Lynn are the CB's for the future, trice also can play CB. Although short the guy is a ball hawk and a competitor. I say RS those guys unless we can't field a legit Special Teams. Nothing worse than having your shirt pulled with only a few games left - but depth is depth.

CK Sooner
James Hale is talking about all of this now if you want to tune in.

http://www.sportstalk1400.com/kref/index.php

JLEW1818
8/21/2009, 04:23 PM
Sam Proctor looks really mature

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:24 PM
Hurst & Lynn are the CB's for the future, trice also can play CB. Although short the guy is a ball hawk and a competitor. I say RS those guys unless we can't field a legit Special Teams. Nothing worse than having your shirt pulled with only a few games left - but depth is depth.

Kevin Brent is going to be special. I am calling it now. (I know he isn't a CB, but oh well)

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:25 PM
Sam Proctor looks really mature

Yes, he does and he is only a sophomore I believe. If you go back and look at the video of Box when he first came to OU he looks completely different now. It's amazing what a couple years in OU's Strength and Conditioning program will do for you.

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:27 PM
They have found 3 more legal documents that have proved that Mike Balogun did not play past his 21st birthday.

That is a quote from James Hales radio show a couple of minutes ago.

MojoRisen
8/21/2009, 04:27 PM
Kevin Brent is going to be special. I am calling it now. (I know he isn't a CB, but oh well)

Yeah he is a sick ATH, we are loaded in the secondary. Some of those hard hitting dudes may move up to LB in a year or two runnin 44 flats. I thought he was our biggest get last year in the secondary...

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:28 PM
Yeah he is a sick ATH, we are loaded in the secondary. Some of those hard hitting dudes may move up to LB in a year or two runnin 44 flats. I thought he was our biggest get last year in the secondary...

Our future looks good in the secondary.

Collier11
8/21/2009, 04:30 PM
That is a quote from James Hales radio show a couple of minutes ago.

We are OU so facts dont matter, we will get hit either way :mad:

Seriously though, I hope this passes over and Mike gets to enjoy his final year

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:30 PM
We are OU so facts dont matter, we will get hit either way :mad:

Seriously though, I hope this passes over and Mike gets to enjoy his final year

I think he should have sued for more than $10,000.

:mad:

stoopified
8/21/2009, 04:33 PM
Sucks is an understatement.On the plus side we STILL have more experience than we started with last year at LB .Clayton,Lewis,Reynolds,Box are all tested veterans this year.

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:34 PM
Sucks is an understatement.

Blows?

MojoRisen
8/21/2009, 04:36 PM
Maybe the strategy is by only suing for 10K, to win and hope the NCAA isn't going to push the issue. If they do sue for 10 Million.

JLEW1818
8/21/2009, 04:37 PM
is Stoops his lawyer?

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 04:48 PM
is Stoops his lawyer?

Schmitty should be. He would be banging some heads in that courtroom.

RedstickSooner
8/21/2009, 05:18 PM
Maybe the strategy is by only suing for 10K, to win and hope the NCAA isn't going to push the issue. If they do sue for 10 Million.

I would imagine the strategy is that he isn't looking for a payday, he's lookin' for a playday.

Yeah, I went there.

But, seriously, a giant dollar figure would imply that he had some odd motive, whereas this shows that he's suing because he wants to play. The money is simply a small device to give him a legal foot in the door.

AlbqSooner
8/21/2009, 07:47 PM
I think he should have sued for more than $10,000.:mad:
I am not sure what the law is in Oklahoma these days, so maybe some of you Oklahoma attorneys can chime in.

I THINK the jurisdictional amount to get into District Court (as distinguished from County Court or Small Claims Court) is $10,000. Hence plead that amount and you get your case heard by a District Judge.

In Oklahoma you USED TO have to plead a specific amount of monetary relief and could not be awarded more. In many other jurisdictions, you simply plead that you seek damages in excess of $10,000 (or whatever the jurisdictional amount is) and can be awarded any amount the jury decides on.

Any Oklahoma Law knowledgeable people who can provide the CURRENT state of the law on pleading damages?

gaylordfan1
8/21/2009, 09:33 PM
WOW, over my head. I will leave this thread now. Bye.

madillsoonerfan5353
8/21/2009, 10:01 PM
Yes, he does and he is only a sophomore I believe. If you go back and look at the video of Box when he first came to OU he looks completely different now. It's amazing what a couple years in OU's Strength and Conditioning program will do for you.

No crap, look at Sam (I am the man) Bradford!

IB4OU
8/21/2009, 10:58 PM

Just think if you kicked *** through a summer of Schmitty and then found out that you were ineligible for your senior year with the Sooners. Man I hope this all works out for Mike.

beer4me
8/22/2009, 07:02 AM
I am not sure what the law is in Oklahoma these days, so maybe some of you Oklahoma attorneys can chime in.

I THINK the jurisdictional amount to get into District Court (as distinguished from County Court or Small Claims Court) is $10,000. Hence plead that amount and you get your case heard by a District Judge.

In Oklahoma you USED TO have to plead a specific amount of monetary relief and could not be awarded more. In many other jurisdictions, you simply plead that you seek damages in excess of $10,000 (or whatever the jurisdictional amount is) and can be awarded any amount the jury decides on.

Any Oklahoma Law knowledgeable people who can provide the CURRENT state of the law on pleading damages?

If he wins and is awarded the 10K then the NCAA will come back and say that MB is ineligible to play because he took their money:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

No1Better
8/22/2009, 07:20 AM
Ronnell Lewis is a beast - he will fill the void left by Tom. 11 picks and 40 TD's on both sides of the ball indicate he is a very smart football player. Look for some great plays out of him this year.

CK Sooner
8/22/2009, 08:31 AM
Ronnell Lewis is a beast - he will fill the void left by Tom. 11 picks and 40 TD's on both sides of the ball indicate he is a very smart football player. Look for some great plays out of him this year.

Austin Box before him.

IronHorseSooner
8/22/2009, 09:12 AM
We started the year with 12 LBs: Clayton, Reynolds, T. Lewis, Bryant, Balogun, Box, Bird, Wort, R. Lewis, Franklin, G. Jones, and Crow. We have now lost Wort to injury, Balogun to the NCAA, and Crow to position move. That still leaves a legitimate three deep.

WLB: Clayton, Bryant, Franklin
MLB: RR, Box, R. Lewis
SLB: T. Lewis, Bird, G. Jones

Heck, the 2nd team would start for anybody in the Big XII outside of us and UTerus! It stinks not having Tom or Mike, but there are many options out there before everybody should be in full panic mode. It may mean that somebody who would be shirted under most circumstances will see some time (R. Lewis, G. Jones). I know that the coaches are excited about what Franklin and Bird have been doing. ;)