PDA

View Full Version : OU Football Notebook: Young defensive tackles coming along

JLEW1818
8/20/2009, 02:43 PM
The Sooners boast one of the top defensive lines in the nation, headlined by All-American defensive tackle Gerald McCoy.

But coach Bob Stoops made a point this week of commending the efforts so far this fall camp of young defensive tackles Stacy McGee, Casey Walker and Jamarkus McFarland.

"It is a good group of young guys,” Stoops said. "Stacy McGee has gotten better and better. Casey Walker has gotten better, and he has made a lot of good improvement. Jamarkus McFarland is coming on and getting more comfortable.”

McGee (6-4, 272) and Walker (6-0, 302) are in their redshirt freshman seasons, and both vying for playing time in a defensive tackle rotation made up of McCoy, Adrian Taylor, Cordero Moore and DeMarcus Granger.

McFarland (6-2, 296), one of OU’s top incoming recruits, is also making a push to join the rotation and avoid redshirting during his true freshman season.

McCoy said he’s been especially impressed with McFarland.

"We may see him on the field this season,” McCoy said.

The Way to go
Along with place-kicker Jimmy Stevens, redshirt freshman punter Tress Way is having a notable preseason. During OU’s open practice Monday, Way boomed punt after punt, including one that went at least 60 yards.

Despite a strong push from junior-college transfer Cameron Kenney, Way appears close to solidifying the starting job at punter.

"He has a big leg,” Stoops said. "Last spring, he was hitting the ball well. I know he didn’t in the spring game, but I have seen enough (to know) that he has a big leg. He is just refining his technique and I think it is a lot more polished than it was in the spring, and more consistent now.

"He has a chance to really change the field for us if he continues it.”

Two-minute drill
Former linebacker Brandon Crow continues to work at fullback; Crow, remember, replaced an injured Ryan Reynolds at middle linebacker in the second half of last year’s Texas game. ... Often forgotten about Daniel Franklin is quietly having a solid camp and is currently working on the second team behind Keenan Clayton at strong-side linebacker. Said Stoops, "He has gotten better and is making some good strides.”

http://newsok.com/ou-football-notebook-young-defensive-tackles-coming-along/article/3394068?custom_click=headlines_widget

JLEW1818
8/20/2009, 02:44 PM
If Way can punt 60 yards, I'm cool with that... we don't punt much anyway

Stacy needs to put on some more weight, in my opinion, he is only a RS Freshman, 15 more pounds wouldn't hurt

fwsooner22
8/20/2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks for that 1818. I hadn't seen that one.

JLEW1818
8/20/2009, 02:47 PM
didn't know Crow went to FB

CK Sooner
8/20/2009, 02:57 PM

Yep. He moved at the beginning of practice.

gaylordfan1
8/20/2009, 05:54 PM

I guess Bob reads these boards and took our advice.... good for him.

Curly Bill
8/20/2009, 05:56 PM

Well that, and he saw the same Texas game we did. ;)

JLEW1818
8/20/2009, 05:57 PM
:eek:

CK Sooner
8/20/2009, 05:59 PM
:eek:

Hook 'em Hook 'em

soonerfanlv
8/21/2009, 08:39 AM

Bash on Crow, like he was the reason we lost the Texas game. :mad: Maybe Stoops saw that he averaged 10.7 yards a carry his Sr. year.

MojoRisen
8/21/2009, 10:09 AM
You guys should pull crows film from highschool - he was a tailback with 4-5 -46 speed. Not sure of the competition but he broke TD after TD so having him at Fullback could be really good buy next year!