PDA

View Full Version : Sooners answer Spikes' 'dirty' charges

JLEW1818
8/19/2009, 03:38 PM
August 19, 2009 3:11 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

Oklahoma players didn't waste much time before responding to Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes' charges that the Sooners were a "dirty team."

Understandably, the Sooners weren't too happy about Spikes' words.

"Dirty, like we're dirty players?" Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy told the Oklahoman. "That's just how we play. We play hard. I guess you can consider that dirty, but some people just get intense, get riled up. Every team does."

The best I can remember, the BCS National Championship Game had a lot of chippiness and woofing on both sides.

Spikes charged Oklahoma tackle Trent Williams and then swatted his helmet after a play where Williams had driven Spikes to the ground.

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow drew an unsportsmanlike penalty late in the game after giving a "Gator chomp" in the direction of Oklahoma safety Nic Harris, who he had claimed had been chirping at him throughout the Gators' 24-14 victory.

But McCoy said that the Sooners weren't the only trash-talkers in the game.

"He [Spikes] is a liar if he's saying they don't have trash-talkers," McCoy said. "Every team does. You can't just put it on us."

It's interesting that the most notable sequence of the game has received little mention. That came when Harris twisted the injured ankle of Florida receiver Percy Harvin long after the play ended.

But I also remember that Harvin wasn't that unduly concerned about it after the game.

"He grabbed it, kind of twisting [my ankle] a little bit," Harvin told reporters after the BCS title game. "That comes with the game. I was expecting that a little bit. It's all good."

Harvin put that play behind him a few minutes after the game was over. But Spikes apparently has kept his feelings festering for more than eight months.

Like I said yesterday, if there's any justice, we'll see the Sooners and Gators play again somewhere this season.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-12-137/Sooners-answer-Spikes----dirty--charges.html

Dan Thompson
8/19/2009, 04:21 PM
Sure makes for a lot of material on the locker doors.

CK Sooner
8/19/2009, 04:22 PM
You know I can just go to ESPN and read this ****, dumbass!.

:D;)

Collier11
8/19/2009, 04:23 PM
Fail of an article, I was thinking there would be mroe to it than a couple of soft quotes from Mccoy

BoulderSooner79
8/19/2009, 04:26 PM
Waaay too early for these teams to worry about each other. That must be earned.

JLEW1818
8/19/2009, 04:27 PM
i heard they were like a 70 point fav, against who ever they play in their first game? anybody got a link?

JLEW1818
8/19/2009, 04:29 PM
73 point fav.... wow?

http://thebullgator.blogspot.com/2009/08/morning-reading-florida-73-point.html

CK Sooner
8/19/2009, 04:29 PM
Charleston Southern......LMAO

http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/showthread.php?t=92835

JLEW1818
8/19/2009, 04:30 PM
73 point favorite???? seriously???

I'll take the +73

CK Sooner
8/19/2009, 04:35 PM
73 point favorite???? seriously???

I'll take the +73

You can actually bet on that game with a +73 spread?

JLEW1818
8/19/2009, 04:37 PM
good question... I'm sure you can?

but sometimes when spreads get that big, most firms will take it down

CK Sooner
8/19/2009, 04:38 PM
good question... I'm sure you can?

but sometimes when spreads get that big, most firms will take it down

Yep, thats what I thought.

Johnny Utah
8/19/2009, 04:51 PM
I know this is somewhat old but hopefully coveys what and who we're dealing with. Players like Tebow and Riley Cooper probably bring the teams average entrance score up, whereas players like Spikes ... well.

http://i.usatoday.net/news/_photos/2008/12/30/athletesx-large.jpg
University of Florida players celebrate their win against the University of Alabama at their NCAA Southeastern Conference title college football game in Atlanta on Dec. 6. Gators football players on average scored 346 points lower on college entrance exams than the school's overall student body, according to a report.

the_ouskull
8/19/2009, 05:12 PM
You know I can just go to ESPN and read this ****, dumbass!.

:D;)

You should. Getting all of your information from only one source is.. well, it's what Fox News counts on. If you only learn about OU football from OU fans, you're going to be a bit biased. It's natural to be biased towards "your team," but if that's all that you know; all that you "get," then you're just another sheep, bleating out things like Aggies do...

But, what do I know...?

the_ouskull

BoulderSooner79
8/19/2009, 06:15 PM
There are news sources other than Fox News!!!??

When did this happen?

:eek:

TahoeSOONER
8/19/2009, 06:31 PM
It sucks they even gave this punk a rebutle. You could tell at the coin flip who the chirpping was gonna come from, as he went Torrence Marshall on our captains, though I wouldn't want TM to be grouped with this meat curtain. I was waiting for anyone to point at him and tell him what was coming but this group is so classy I'm not suprised anyone didn't. I remember the Washington game last year when the Sooners wouldn't let UW out onto the field. We need some of that confident swagger back in the Nat'l title game.

It's time we shut this bunch up and it starts with BYU and ends at the Rose.

Johnny Utah
8/19/2009, 06:35 PM
There are news sources other than Fox News!!!??

When did this happen?

:eek:

Are you related to my wife :rolleyes: ? I've been home more lately since I'm "between jobs" and I swear, the family room tv is either on Fox News, HGTV or the Food Network. At least the politics are "right", the house is well appointed, and the menu is great.

BoulderSooner79
8/19/2009, 06:49 PM
Are you related to my wife :rolleyes: ? I've been home more lately since I'm "between jobs" and I swear, the family room tv is either on Fox News, HGTV or the Food Network. At least the politics are "right", the house is well appointed, and the menu is great.

No, I was just poking some fun at "stereotypical" okies. My dad tends to camp in front of Fox news, so I'm generalizing with a small sample size here :). I was born and raised okie including 5 years at OU, but it's been a long time since I lived there and I suspect I wouldn't fit in seamlessly anymore.

CK Sooner
8/19/2009, 06:51 PM
You should. Getting all of your information from only one source is.. well, it's what Fox News counts on. If you only learn about OU football from OU fans, you're going to be a bit biased. It's natural to be biased towards "your team," but if that's all that you know; all that you "get," then you're just another sheep, bleating out things like Aggies do...

But, what do I know...?

the_ouskull

I got to 3 different places that I get my information from. I just thought it was stupid thing to cry about, no offense.

Johnny Utah
8/19/2009, 08:16 PM
No, I was just poking some fun at "stereotypical" okies. My dad tends to camp in front of Fox news, so I'm generalizing with a small sample size here :). I was born and raised okie including 5 years at OU, but it's been a long time since I lived there and I suspect I wouldn't fit in seamlessly anymore.

I know what you mean ... you've probably become somewhat conditioned if you live in the "Peoples Republic of Boulder" :) . My wife (who grew up in Littleton) might have become a Buff if her father (an OU alum himself) had let her go to to CU, but the rest is history.

cheezyq
8/19/2009, 08:29 PM
LOL, I get where this is coming from now:

http://www.newsok.com/john-rohde-sooners-gators-are-rivals-with-a-cause/article/3393834?custom_click=lead_story_title

Spikes also mentioned Mississippi as a dirty opponent.

Ole Miss beat Florida in Gainesville last season, and OU was no slouch in the title game.

Sometimes the bully on the block doesn’t like it when the other guy shoves back.

Good job of John Rohde to point that out. Maybe the best article coming out of the DO ever.

Johnny Utah
8/19/2009, 08:50 PM
LOL, I get where this is coming from now:

http://www.newsok.com/john-rohde-sooners-gators-are-rivals-with-a-cause/article/3393834?custom_click=lead_story_title

Good job of John Rohde to point that out. Maybe the best article coming out of the DO ever.

As somebody pointed out much earlier, spikes didn't play nearly up to all he was hyped up to be in the MNC game ... guess he expects the opponent to just hand over its lunch money and wasn't really prepared for a fight.

the_ouskull
8/20/2009, 12:01 PM
But, until WE stop playing like that in our bowls, we're nobody to belittle him for doing it as well, IMhumbleO.

the_ouskull

Johnny Utah
8/20/2009, 12:19 PM
But, until WE stop playing like that in our bowls, we're nobody to belittle him for doing it as well, IMhumbleO.

the_ouskull

belittle him yes (insn't that what this is for? ;) ) ... blame him no (the bowl record speaks for itself :mad: )

badger
8/20/2009, 12:44 PM
So what if we're "dirty?" It's what happens when you play on real turf in the rain!

http://www.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/tommie1.jpg

JLEW1818
8/20/2009, 12:54 PM
^ Classic

sooneron
8/20/2009, 12:54 PM
^ that man can crap a helmet, or so I'm told...