PDA

View Full Version : Houston Sooners-Games on 1560 "the Game"

htownsooner7
8/19/2009, 03:01 PM
Any one else hear that our games will be radio broadcast on 1560 the game? I caught the tail end of the broadcast this morning and all the horn fans were calling and writing in saying that the station was a "sellout" for doing this. Granato and Zeirlein were hammering the horn winers, calling them babies. I already thought it was a great station, but this would take it to a new greatness level.

humblesooner
8/19/2009, 03:25 PM
I heard the same thing from some of the guys in the office. I don't listen to 1560 'cause I can't stand Granato "the Tiger".
The Horn fan who told me about it said that Z and Granato were making it like "Hey don't blame us. We didn't do it".
I wonder why they horns were whining. It isn't like the OU games haven't been on local Houston radio for like 30 years in a row. This is a big project for the OU Club every year.
It is good that they will fnally be on a station that you can actually pick up. But I haven't had to listen to a game on the radio in about 10 years, so it won't mean much to me either way.

A Sooner in Texas
8/19/2009, 07:15 PM
I for one am very happy to hear this!

oudivesherpa
8/19/2009, 07:31 PM
1560 is a great sports channel. This would certainly be an upgrade from last year. Last year after Hurricane Ike I had no power,a tree had crashed into my house and I was out of gasoline; so I sat in my drive trying to pick up the Washington game, but all I could hear was Bob Berry saying Touchdown OKLAHOMA over the static--I knew we would be all right.

htownsooner7
8/19/2009, 08:17 PM
Man, I couldn't agree more. No power for 15 days. The night Ike came in was the Wash game. For those 3 hours all was right with the world as I listened to the radio.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/19/2009, 09:05 PM
Same here, but we were in Sugar Land riding the storm out and couldn't even pick up the OU game on the radio. My brother kept texting me scores until the battery on the phone went out.

Speer
8/19/2009, 09:21 PM
Glad to hear the game will be on a station with some wattage.

I got REAL lucky last year during Ike. Power and cable tv was out all over the neighborhood and we miraculously had both.

salth2o
8/19/2009, 09:23 PM
Glad to hear that news!!!

I got REAL lucky last year during Ike. Power and cable tv was out all over the neighborhood and we miraculously had both.
I got lucky a lot during Ike, but it was b/c we had no electricity for 15 days and there was not much else to do. :D

Speer
8/19/2009, 09:44 PM
I got lucky a lot during Ike, but it was b/c we had no electricity for 15 days and there was not much else to do. :D

There was a lot of that around here.....the Ike baby boom.

A Sooner in Texas
8/19/2009, 10:51 PM
Played poker with my kids by candlelight listening to a surprisingly clear broadcast of the Wash game on a very crappy little radio powered by AAA batteries. Actually was a lot of fun, but the candlelight got real old, real fast.

Crucifax Autumn
8/20/2009, 04:52 AM
I always listen on the net when I can't get it on TV or on a net stream.

TMcGee86
8/20/2009, 09:26 AM
SWWEEEEET!

i love 1560, this just makes it even more.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/20/2009, 10:14 AM
Heh, I was evacuated to Seattle for Ike. Watch CNN Friday night when it hit Clear Lake and went to the game Saturday. Funny thing, we never lost power in Clear Lake. I, apparently, am on the emergency grid for the Constable office and SE Houston Emergency Response center. Did have roof damage, though.

Going to 1560 - I hope we get that better than 1430 in Clear Lake. I'll have to test it out.

salth2o
8/20/2009, 11:59 AM
Heh, I was evacuated to Seattle for Ike. Watch CNN Friday night when it hit Clear Lake and went to the game Saturday. Funny thing, we never lost power in Clear Lake. I, apparently, am on the emergency grid for the Constable office and SE Houston Emergency Response center. Did have roof damage, though.

Going to 1560 - I hope we get that better than 1430 in Clear Lake. I'll have to test it out.

Yeah...1430 reception was teh succ.

boomerinhou
8/20/2009, 02:20 PM
Looks like it's official...

(see right side of homepage)

http://www.ouclubofhouston.com/

:)

htownsooner7
8/20/2009, 05:20 PM
Do you guys go to the ouclubofhouston gatherings? Good environment for the games?

owenfieldreams
8/20/2009, 06:05 PM
Anything but 1430. Their signal is pitiful. If 1560 has a larger reach, this is great news.

On the other hand, it means BB's call will be easier to hear.

A Sooner in Texas
8/20/2009, 06:32 PM
1430 was awful; usually couldn't get it in my vehicle so it's great the games will be on a decent station.
I haven't been to any of the Houston Sooners get-togethers, but I hear they're a strong, active club. Would be fun to check it out some time!

boomerinhou
8/20/2009, 07:55 PM
Do you guys go to the ouclubofhouston gatherings? Good environment for the games?

EXCELLENT!!

These guys know how to put on a watch party. Their annual Beat Texas party is a lot of fun too.

They had their watch parties at FOX Sports Grill in the Galleria for the past few years, but the FOX closed a couple weeks ago. Looks like they will be at Champps starting with the September 12 Idaho State game, which is good since it's PPV.

Saw this today on their website...

http://www.ouclubofhouston.org/en/art/42/

Boomer!

boomerinhou
8/20/2009, 08:18 PM
Anything but 1430. Their signal is pitiful. If 1560 has a larger reach, this is great news.

On the other hand, it means BB's call will be easier to hear.

That's for sure!!...lol

1430 had decent reach during the day, but it was one of those stations that had to decrease their power during the nite time. I talked with one of their board members one time, and it gets down to the amount they can raise to pay for it. It costs the club about $45 to $50 grand a year...and the club raises the money and produces each broadcast themselves. Pretty amazing.

I was reading on their website what they have to go through to get a radio station.

http://www.ouclubofhouston.org/en/art/39/

I'm just thankful we can get the broadcast down here.