PDA

View Full Version : Balogun vs. NCAA

Pages : [1] 2

SteelClip49
8/19/2009, 09:07 AM
http://newsok.com/mike-balogun-files-suit-against-ncaa/article/3393948?custom_click=lead_story_title

http://www.oscn.net/applications/ocisweb/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=2026958&db=Cleveland

Fraggle145
8/19/2009, 09:44 AM
:pop:

boomersooner28
8/19/2009, 09:52 AM
Wow, pretty interesting. You can read the whole thing...althought I skimmed through it.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/19/2009, 10:23 AM

That about sums it up.

o0Dan0o
8/19/2009, 10:24 AM
I like how he has a restraining order against a governing body, I wondering if I can try suing the IRS, or the Boy Scouts of America...
Dan

rainiersooner
8/19/2009, 10:55 AM
I highly recommend people at least skim through this (Balogun's petition). The heavy hand of the NCAA is alive and well. There is ZERO due process afforded student athletes by the NCAA. A fundamental tenet of due process is the right to confront your accusers. Balogun provides signed affidavits and testimony, including evidence from the OWNER of the semi-professional team that he did not play after his 21st birthday. Yet, the NCAA decertifies him without a hearing, without disclosing their evidence, nothing.

And, on a side note, what really gets to me is that while this league is called "semi-professional" Balogun did not receive compensation to play in the league. In fact, he PAID a league fee to play.

This chaps my hide.

bent rider
8/19/2009, 11:11 AM
And, on a side note, what really gets to me is that while this league is called "semi-professional" Balogun did not receive compensation to play in the league. In fact, he PAID a league fee to play.

Yeah, but the team gave his family free use of an expensive house in San Diego. No, wait, that is another professional team.

RedstickSooner
8/19/2009, 11:46 AM
I like how he has a restraining order against a governing body, I wondering if I can try suing the IRS, or the Boy Scouts of America...
Dan

No, and yes.

Was it a bad touch?

OUmillenium
8/19/2009, 11:50 AM
NCAA = governing body or private (for profit) organization?

OUMallen
8/19/2009, 12:17 PM
Dan

IRS = federal government. BSA = private organization.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/19/2009, 12:26 PM
So the NCAA just don't like him becuase he played in a more than pick up league? If he didn't get paid, then he ain't a "pro" - I don't get it. What's the difference here is he played at a YMCA over 30 flag league?

oumartin
8/19/2009, 12:30 PM
isn't there more pressing issues for the NCAA to be looking into over on the west coast?

goingoneight
8/19/2009, 12:45 PM
The NCAA didn't start this everyone. OU's compliance staff self-reported it. Time will tell if MB gets his year back. At this point you bite your tounge and tip your cap to the compliance staff.

OUster
8/19/2009, 01:40 PM
The NCAA didn't start this everyone. OU's compliance staff self-reported it. Time will tell if MB gets his year back. At this point you bite your tounge and tip your cap to the compliance staff.

Sorry, bro, OU's compliance staff reporting was done as a caution to protect the team. This would have nothing to do with the NCAA being completely arbitrary in a decision that will greatly affect the life of a great kid. The latter of which we should be completely free to bitch and moan about.

CK Sooner
8/19/2009, 01:50 PM
Should have sued for a million.

:D

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/19/2009, 02:18 PM
Well OU will be on probation in 2 years.....

stoops the eternal pimp
8/19/2009, 02:24 PM
the NCAA took the article down!

CK Sooner
8/19/2009, 02:35 PM

Those Mofo's!

soonerfan28
8/19/2009, 02:43 PM

Are you shocked.

OUHOMER
8/19/2009, 07:43 PM
so, does the NCCA hold Balogun or OU's feet to the fire?
the Court says he can practice, so OU lets him. Does OU call the NCAA and still ask for permission to cover their tails?

CK Sooner
8/19/2009, 08:23 PM
Balogun is officially done.

CrimsonJim
8/19/2009, 08:43 PM
link?

CK Sooner
8/19/2009, 08:44 PM
link?

Nope.

CrimsonJim
8/19/2009, 08:45 PM
Damn!

CK Sooner
8/19/2009, 08:47 PM
Damn!

Check the other site.

OUHOMER
8/19/2009, 09:04 PM
Check the other site.

ok, show us a link to something.....:mad:

sooner518
8/19/2009, 11:07 PM
wow. so it looks like the NCAA went back and found an old NAFL webpage with Balogun on a roster that was timestamped when Balogun was over 21. this appears to be their evidence according to what my ADD-addled brain can make of the first 10 pages of that document.

just remarkably stupid. but I expect nothing less from the NCAA

OK2U
8/20/2009, 01:19 AM
FREE BALOGUN!!!

Crucifax Autumn
8/20/2009, 04:11 AM
Florida State must still be sore in the butt from 2000:

http://newsok.com/fsu-blew-whistle-on-ous-mike-balogun/article/3394064?custom_click=lead_story_title

unbiasedtruth
8/20/2009, 05:55 AM
I have to take the high road on this and FSU. What if OU finishes 14-0, Stoops and Co. raise the crystal glass as #1, then a few weeks later find out its all for not because MB played in several games and was ineligible.....

CK Sooner
8/20/2009, 07:11 AM
ok, show us a link to something.....:mad:

Nuh Uh.

OUDoc
8/20/2009, 07:54 AM
Screw Florida State. Bunch of has-beens.

OUmillenium
8/20/2009, 08:20 AM
I have to take the high road on this and FSU. What if OU finishes 14-0, Stoops and Co. raise the crystal glass as #1, then a few weeks later find out its all for not because MB played in several games and was ineligible.....

Great point. Not a good situation but I've been ready for NCAA independence since 1986...Communists (and I mean that in a gulag sort of way)

BornandBred
8/20/2009, 09:53 AM
Balogun musta played past his 21 birthday, the innerwebs never lie.

In other news, Jeff Goldblum just died.

adoniijahsooner
8/21/2009, 04:27 AM
Balogun may have a strong argument in court, especially with sworn affidavits, testimony and the NCAA already clearing him and completed an investigation; breach of contract is a valid defense for Balogun.

Internet websites cannot be considered serious evidence when any average joe can go and change something on a web page. The question I believe, is if OU will play him because of fear of the NCAA winning an appeal, and causing the team to forfeit games.

Crucifax Autumn
8/21/2009, 04:32 AM
So basically if I go post some **** about tebow he can be investigated?

adoniijahsooner
8/21/2009, 04:37 AM

Yep, hearsay seems to be all the NCAA needs to show up @ Tebow Cathedral.

adoniijahsooner
8/21/2009, 04:40 AM
But they may become converted after hearing one of his chest heaving, spit flying, and meat cutting sermons...

"We believe brother, we believe Timmy; so please snip just an ounce of flesh and purify me!"

Crucifax Autumn
8/21/2009, 04:47 AM
Heh...He's a virgin and all, but only because he's handled more boy-meat than women!

boomersooner28
8/21/2009, 07:15 AM
TIM TEBOW ACCEPTED A DONOR GIFT ON MULTIPLE OCCASSIONS!

(each time it was a male prostitute)

beer4me
8/21/2009, 07:37 AM
In other news, Jeff Goldblum just died.

Internet hoax

BornandBred
8/21/2009, 08:11 AM
Internet hoax

Wrong! The truth machine doesn't have any hoaxes. EVAR!!

OUDoc
8/21/2009, 08:14 AM
Might as well, he would forgive you anyway. :)

beer4me
8/21/2009, 08:54 AM
Wrong! The truth machine doesn't have any hoaxes. EVAR!!

:D :D :D :D :D

olevetonahill
8/21/2009, 10:05 AM
If Weinkie could play PRO baseball then go back and play College Football . whats the big deal about this ?
The young man wasn't paid anything to play:eek:

TheHumanAlphabet
8/21/2009, 11:15 AM
Yep, hearsay seems to be all the NCAA needs to show up @ Tebow Cathedral.

Unless you have USC around your name...Seems evidence doesn't count for much then...

And yeah, the great glorious NCAA would never pull a MNC from a team that "won" it the previous year would they. How would they look then???

TheHumanAlphabet
8/21/2009, 11:17 AM
If Weinkie could play PRO baseball then go back and play College Football . whats the big deal about this ?

Just ask that Colorado Buff about this...Seems he couldn't play football after he was a pro skier. What's the difference between playing pro baseball???

SCOUT
8/21/2009, 11:22 AM
Just ask that Colorado Buff about this...Seems he couldn't play football after he was a pro skier. What's the difference between playing pro baseball???

Jeremy Bloom's issue was his endorsement money not a salary.

However, the NCAA ruled Bloom "rendered himself permanently ineligible for intercollegiate athletics with multiple and willful violations of NCAA rules regarding endorsements." The organization said on matters of amateurism, "student-athletes are not permitted to endorse products and retain their eligibility."

CK Sooner
8/21/2009, 11:37 AM

The difference is that Balogun played football and not baseball.

Desert Sapper
8/21/2009, 11:37 AM
So, basically...

1. Balogun is inelligible this year

2. Florida State is still sour grapes over the '01 OB

3. Jeff Goldblum is not dead

4. Tim Tebow is a male prostitute

Anything else happen today?

StoopTroup
8/21/2009, 01:12 PM
That about sums it up...yes. :D

Crucifax Autumn
8/21/2009, 01:37 PM
Michelle Obama wore shorts.

G8trGr8t
8/21/2009, 07:48 PM
Man,

You guys get a lot of joy trashing Tebow.

If he was a Sooner, half the boys in Oklahoma under the age of 3 and a third of the girls would be named Tim.

rainiersooner
8/21/2009, 07:59 PM
Man,

If he was a Sooner, half the boys in Oklahoma under the age of 3 and a third of the girls would be named Tim.

Admit it, if he played for Tennessee you would think he is the biggest tool in the world.

Anyway, the national championship game was 8 months ago - what are you still doing here!? :D

OU_Sooners75
8/21/2009, 07:59 PM
Man,

So half of the boys in Florida born in the last 3 years are named Tim?

The difference in what you have posted and reality here is...

Stoops does not allow his players to parade in front of the cameras for ESPN commercials and crap like that.

OU_Sooners75
8/21/2009, 08:01 PM
And speaking of Bloom and endorsements...

How much did Tim Tebow actually make from ESPN on his commercial?

G8trGr8t
8/21/2009, 10:19 PM
Admit it, if he played for Tennessee you would think he is the biggest tool in the world.

Anyway, the national championship game was 8 months ago - what are you still doing here!? :D

I think Eric Barry is a great player, felt the same about Manning. Lame, no respect for him at all.

When I came here a month before the BCS game, most tried to punk me and say I wouldn't ever stick around after the game. Guess they were wrong. Surprisingly, I have gotten a few pm's from some on here with big post counts inviting me to hang around for entertainment value.

I like college ball, got a lot of respect for Stoops, Bradford, the OU program in general, and enjoy reading different viewpoints for a little perspective.

and

I enjoy busting on you guys every now and then to see who has a sense of humor and who takes themselves too seriously. Judging by how long I've been red this time, maybe we all need to lighten up a lil bit.:D

Crucifax Autumn
8/21/2009, 10:43 PM
Screw that. It's way more fun to bash on you and your loverboy Timmeh!

Cheerin' 4 OU
8/21/2009, 10:59 PM
Judging by how long I've been red this time, maybe we all need to lighten up a lil bit.:D

I dunno. Lid's been around a lot longer than you and I don't think I've ever seen him green.

rainiersooner
8/22/2009, 12:50 AM
I enjoy busting on you guys every now and then to see who has a sense of humor and who takes themselves too seriously. Judging by how long I've been red this time, maybe we all need to lighten up a lil bit.:D

Well, I had the big
:D in my post, so clearly, I'm not taking myself too seriously, or our banter. Anyway, I like you hanging around - I just claim bs that you wouldn't think Tebow was a tool if he played for Tennessee. Also, I thought you were going to post on this thread about how much you hated FSU and what crap you thought it was that Balogun is taking it in the shorts from the NCAA. A little community minded solidarity!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/22/2009, 01:39 AM
Anyway, the national championship game was 8 months ago - what are you still doing here!? :DAre there no FU message boards?

rainiersooner
8/22/2009, 11:12 AM
Are there no FU message boards?

They're too fast - it's hard to keep up with them.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/22/2009, 11:17 AM
They're too fast - it's hard to keep up with them.Too fast for mere mortals, but FU fans are perfectly engineered for FU message boards.

Desert Sapper
8/22/2009, 11:25 AM
Tebow's probably a stellar human being and he is an unquestioned talent with the football. My problem is the Tebowfellatio that I see on ESPN ALL THE TIME. Yes, he's a great player. Yes, he won the Heisman. Yes, he has been a part of two national titles for the school he goes to. And yes, he goes on mission trips to save indigenous peoples everywhere. But can the media get off his ****...just a little?

PhiDeltBeers
8/22/2009, 11:41 AM
Tebow's probably a stellar human being and he is an unquestioned talent with the football. My problem is the Tebowfellatio that I see on ESPN ALL THE TIME. Yes, he's a great player. Yes, he won the Heisman. Yes, he has been a part of two national titles for the school he goes to. And yes, he goes on mission trips to save indigenous peoples everywhere. But can the media get off his ****...just a little?

Not till he goes in the 8th round.

adoniijahsooner
8/22/2009, 03:26 PM
What is going on with tebow is so diametrically opposed to what the bible says about how christians will be treated; or is it? I reckon after thinking about this for awhile now, that TT is probably hated alot more than he is loved. The question is, who's to blame? Are we envious? Is Tebow a self righteous human who enjoys the accolades and man-love? or is the media going to far? I believe it's a hodgepodge of all three, and like VY it will not end until he is throwing int's in the nfl.

John 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.

Luke 6:26 Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.

2 Timothy 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

stoopified
8/22/2009, 03:42 PM
Balogun is officially done.Are you the fat lady ? :D
If not then it ain't over cuz I ain't heard that heifer sing yet.

Crucifax Autumn
8/22/2009, 04:01 PM
Are you the fat lady ? :D

No, but he's dating her.

CK Sooner
8/22/2009, 09:29 PM
"At issue is whether Balogun, 25, played for a team in a semi-pro football league the amateur North American Football League after his 21st birthday. His case includes his affidavit and that of the former owner of the Maryland Marauders that he did not, as well as a statement from the league’s former commissioner that his own investigation failed to find any evidence that he did.

Per NCAA rules, if it is determined that Balogun participated after he turned 21, he would lose a year of college eligibility, and he has only one, the 2009 season, remaining.

The NCAA’s case apparently is based on unsworn recollection from a former Marauders assistant coach and several Internet accounts describing his participation for both the Marauders and Prince George Jets after Sept. 28, 2004 — his 21st birthday.

CK Sooner
8/22/2009, 09:30 PM
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1552551.html

The NCAA’s case apparently is based on unsworn recollection from a former Marauders assistant coach and several Internet accounts describing his participation for both the Marauders and Prince George Jets after Sept. 28, 2004 — his 21st birthday.

A compromise between Oklahoma linebacker Mike Balogun and the NCAA concerning his continued eligibility may be reached outside the courtroom, according to Balogun’s attorney.

“We are working on resolving the situation in a way that will be a case of win-win for everyone,” attorney Woody Glass said in a telephone message.

An independent source familiar with the situation confirmed Saturday that an attempt was being made to reach a compromise.

Glass added that a hearing scheduled for Monday in a Cleveland (Okla.) County civil court would not be held, though it remained on the court docket Saturday afternoon.

Glass received an injunction Tuesday in a lawsuit against the NCAA on Balogun’s behalf that prevented the body from executing a decertification declaration, pending outcome of its investigation. The order also allowed Balogun to continue to practice with the team.

At issue is whether Balogun, 25, played for a team in a semi-pro football league the amateur North American Football League after his 21st birthday. His case includes his affidavit and that of the former owner of the Maryland Marauders that he did not, as well as a statement from the league’s former commissioner that his own investigation failed to find any evidence that he did.

Per NCAA rules, if it is determined that Balogun participated after he turned 21, he would lose a year of college eligibility, and he has only one, the 2009 season, remaining.

Boomer Mooner
8/22/2009, 10:47 PM
A compromise sounds like a very good thing!:D

GottaHavePride
8/23/2009, 12:24 AM
Compromise? How do you compromise on a yes/no question like "Is Mike Balogun eligible to play this season?" I mean, do they say "OK, Balogun can play in half the games this season, but you have to draw numbers out of a hat to find out which games he's allowed to play"? Cause that's all kinds of retarted.

adoniijahsooner
8/23/2009, 06:30 AM
Compromise? How do you compromise on a yes/no question like "Is Mike Balogun eligible to play this season?" I mean, do they say "OK, Balogun can play in half the games this season, but you have to draw numbers out of a hat to find out which games he's allowed to play"? Cause that's all kinds of retarted.

Maybe no bowl game, since that is another semester. I knew the NCAA couldnt win this, based on hearsay, and no matter what people think a judge would have ruled that the internet is hearsay. Mike had sworn affidavits, which if he was lying could be charged with perjury, so that carries more weight than Lil Flip Flip, saying, "I think he played in 2006, but dont qoute me on that."

Soonerman08
8/23/2009, 12:13 PM
What is going on with tebow is so diametrically opposed to what the bible says about how christians will be treated; or is it? I reckon after thinking about this for awhile now, that TT is probably hated alot more than he is loved. The question is, who's to blame? Are we envious? Is Tebow a self righteous human who enjoys the accolades and man-love? or is the media going to far? I believe it's a hodgepodge of all three, and like VY it will not end until he is throwing int's in the nfl.

To be perfectly honest, I think he is full of crap. Let me clarify. I think he spouts all of this off just because he is an egotistical, self-centered individual that whenever the media tapers off just a little he goes and does something else to draw more attention to himself. No self-righteous Christian is this involved with attracting attention to himself. Do I think he is a Christian? Well let me say this...who am I to question ones faith? I just think he is eating all this up. Not trying to be biased or anything, but I have a lot more respect for Sammy B than I do for Tebow, and here is the reason. He doesn't let his ego go.

Hey guys remember when Florida and St. Timmy lost to Michigan two years ago? Ahhh the glory days....

SoonerInFortSmith
8/23/2009, 12:53 PM

I think what he's saying is, "Tim Tebow may very well be the anti-christ.":eek:

Collier11
8/23/2009, 02:44 PM
Possible deal coming with the NCAA it looks like

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090823_92_B1_Norman870758

Balogun deal is possible?
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer

Norman attorney Woody Glass has filed three more sworn affidavits in Cleveland County District Court that he hopes will show his client, University of Oklahoma linebacker Mike Balogun, did not play organized semi-pro football after the age of 21.

A published report Saturday night, though, indicates Monday's hearing might not happen at all. Glass is quoted in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram saying a compromise between Balogun and the NCAA might keep the case out of court.

"We are working on resolving the situation in a way that will be a case of win-win for everyone," Glass told the Star-Telegram. The hearing was still on the court docket Saturday, but Glass told the paper it would not be held.

Attempts to reach Glass Saturday night were unsuccessful.

Balogun last week won a temporary injunction that has allowed him to keep practicing with the team following the NCAA's decertification of his eligibility on Aug. 14. Balogun has a hearing scheduled Monday seeking a permanent injunction that would allow him to play for the Sooners this season.

At question is whether Balogun played after his 21st birthday. Several online resources indicate he did, but Glass' supplement to the civil lawsuit he filed for Balogun indicate either he did not, or there is significant doubt that he did.

In court documents obtained by the Tulsa World, a coach declares that Balogun did not play in the 2004 league championship game, a statistician declares roster and even jersey information is often incorrect and unreliable, and a league president declares Balogun did not play for a team on which Balogun himself said last year that he did play.

James Walsh of Minneapolis was defensive coordinator of the 2004 All-American Bowl, an independent all-star game for small college and semi-pro players. In the affidavit, Walsh offers, "I became familiar with the defensive players who came and played in the game. I do not recall Mike Balogun, nor do I recall Mike Balogun playing in that game."

Walsh says former North American Football League commissioner Terry Walsh "invites many players to the All-American Bowl (but) players often do not play because there is a $150 fee to play in the game, plus the travel expenses to Minnesota making it too expensive.

Balogun is listed on the Web site Mid-AmericaFootball.com as a 2004 all-star linebacker.

John Phillips of the Seattle suburb of Kent, Wash., collected the statistics and game summary from the 2005 NAFL2 championship game in Orlando, and says he relied solely on the rosters provided to him.

"In the (NAFL), player rosters are very often inaccurate and outdated," Phillips says. "Many times, players would not play in games, but someone else would wear their jerseys. Therefore, it is likely that someone else could have worn a player's number and I would have no idea about the accuracy of the individual and name compared to the roster jersey number."

Balogun is listed by SemiProFootball.org as playing in the 2005 NAFL2 championship game in Orlando and also made the '05 NAFL all-star team.

Tony Hall, president of the Delaware-based Diamond Football League, certifies that Balogun "did not play with the Prince George Jets," and that the Jets never played a game in 2004, 2005 or 2006 in the Diamond Football League.

SemiProFootball.org shows the Prince George Jets playing the 2005 season in the Mason Dixon Football League and 2006 in the Diamond Football League. The Maryland Gazette published an online article in 2008 interviewing Balogun's former coaches with the Prince George Jets, and prior to last season's Big 12 championship game, Balogun says he played for a team in Maryland called the Prince George's County Jets.

But in Glass' supplement, Hall contends the team never existed.

"The only team to play semi-professional football in Prince George (Md.)," he says, "were the Prince George Headhunters, not the Jets."

Balogun also is listed on the Web site SemiProFootball.org as defensive MVP of the NAFL2 championship game, played in November 2004, some two months after his 21st birthday. A press release from the Maryland Marauders of the NAFL2 writes that Balogun was defensive MVP of the title game.

So far, the only affidavits that dispute Balogun's participation in that game are those of Balogun and his former Marauders team owner, Gary Rice.

adoniijahsooner
8/24/2009, 10:41 AM
Update:

http://www.newsok.com/ou-linebacker-mike-baloguns-legal-fight-with-ncaa-on-hold-for-now/article/3395099?custom_click=headlines_widget

OU linebacker Mike Balogun's legal fight with NCAA on hold for now
Comments 1
Buzz up!By Jake Trotter - Staff Writer
Published: August 24, 2009
NORMAN — Mike Balogun’s legal fight with the NCAA is being put on hold.

For now, at least.

Balogun’s attorney, Woody Glass, told The Oklahoman that today’s temporary injunction hearing against the NCAA has been cancelled, and that he is working on an agreement that will have the NCAA re-evaluate his client’s eligibility outside the courts.

“Our hope is to get all this information that I’ve uncovered the last several weeks back to the NCAA,” Glass said, “and let them make a decision.”

Glass filed three additional sworn affidavits last Friday that show Balogun did not play semi-pro football after his 21st birthday, which the NCAA is currently investigating. Per NCAA rules, a player loses a season of eligibility for each year he plays semi-pro ball past the age of 21. If it’s ruled by the NCAA that he did, Balogun’s college career would be over, since he’s a senior.

Glass said part of the pending agreement with the NCAA is “getting in place deadline dates,” so a ruling can be made before Oklahoma’s Sept. 5 opener with Brigham Young.

“Their attorneys have been very helpful and have shown a willingness to speed up the issue,” Glass said.

The temporary restraining order Balogun received last week will allow him to continue practicing with the team. Balogun is currently working behind starter Ryan Reynolds on the depth chart at middle linebacker.

The main reason, Glass said, for taking Balogun’s case back out of court is NCAA bylaw 19.7. which allows for penalties against schools that allow student-athletes to play under a court order and that order is later overturned or found to be unjustified.

“My thought is that Mike's best chance to play would be for the NCAA to certify him,” Glass said. “Because if we were successful in getting a permanent injunction, everyone would still face the 19.7 rule. I don’t know OU’s position, but I suspect they would have to look at it very carefully. My thought would be that they would likely not play Mike because of that 19.7 rule.”

But Glass also said that if the NCAA does not certify Balogun in the coming days, he would still hold the card of going back to court.

“I’m confident of his chances of being certified; I believe we have credible evidence,” Glass said. “But if the NCAA fails to certify Mike, then we still have the ability to get back in front of the court and move forward with a permanent injunction.”

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 10:42 AM
Let's hope the decision is made before kickoff.l

adoniijahsooner
8/24/2009, 10:44 AM
Sounds like his lawyer doesnt mess around.

Collier11
8/24/2009, 10:51 AM
Let's hope the decision is made before kickoff.l

If he is cleared it is your azz CK!

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 10:52 AM
If he is cleared it is your azz CK!

His lawyer found new information!

Collier11
8/24/2009, 11:00 AM
You said it, Balogun is DONE!!! I will order a neg jihad on your arse ;)

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 11:01 AM

Shut up n00b!

;) :D

Fraggle145
8/24/2009, 01:03 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/2586/baloguns-district-court-hearing-cancelled

The court hearing was cancelled...

Balogun's district court hearing cancelled

August 24, 2009 1:29 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

Oklahoma linebacker Mike Balogun's attorney Woody Glass told the Oklahoman that today's temporary injunction hearing in Cleveland County District Court against the NCAA has been cancelled as he works on an agreement that could have his client eligibility restored outside the courts.

Our hope is to get all this information that Ive uncovered the last several weeks back to the NCAA, Glass told the Oklahoman, and let them make a decision.

Glass is hopeful a ruling can be made before the Sooners' Sept. 5 opener against BYU.

At question is whether Balogun played semi-pro football after his 21st birthday. If so, he would forfeit one season for every year he played semi-pro ball, meaning he would not be eligible for the 2009 season.

And any flicker of hope is good news for the Sooners, who are scrambling at depth at middle linebacker. Promising freshman standout Tom Wort was lost Thursday with a season-ending knee injury. If Balogun isn't able to play, the Sooners would have little behind oft-injured linebacker Ryan Reynolds.

Oklahoma's depth is the middle is particularly a question considering that Reynolds hasn't made it through a complete season with an injury. He missed the final eight games of the 2008 season after blowing out his knee in the Sooners' loss to Texas.

And again we arrive at :pop:

Fraggle145
8/24/2009, 01:07 PM
well **** me I was late to the party...

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 04:41 PM
From OUInsider.com

James Hale said he went and talked to someone close to the situation. The NCAA has one witness that said Mike Balogun played after he was 21. Since then the witness said he looked into his info and he has changed his mind and he will now sign a legal paper that Mike did NOT play after he was 21. According to James... Mike's lawyer already has 3 witnesses to swear he did not play after 21.

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 04:44 PM
It is looking more and more like he is going to be cleared. Now if the witness changes his story then he should be cleared by the BYU game. We will see.

soonersam
8/24/2009, 04:45 PM
Sweet!! I hope he's telling the truth and we're not forfeiting wins !!

OUHOMER
8/24/2009, 04:48 PM

i will help ya.;)

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 04:52 PM
Haha

goingoneight
8/24/2009, 05:36 PM
If he's cleared it should be a closed case and no chance of forfeited wins in the future, right?

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 05:40 PM
If he's cleared it should be a closed case and no chance of forfeited wins in the future, right?

Correct, if the NCAA clears him.

goingoneight
8/24/2009, 05:47 PM
Good. Cuz no matter what the Sooner haters say, it's the NCAA that's always shady in my book. I could see them dropping the suit, Mikey plays two mop-up snaps against Idaho State and we forfeit a National Championship because someone in the NCAA is on the ra.... nevermind.

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 06:09 PM
NCAA takes 2nd look at Oklahoma LB Balogun’s case
1 hour, 17 minutes ago
Buzz up!
Print
NORMAN, Okla. (AP)—Oklahoma linebacker Mike Balogun will try to settle his eligibility issues out of court.

A Cleveland County judge had been set to hear arguments Monday on whether to extend an injunction and allow Balogun to play for the No. 3 Sooners, but NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said the hearing “was postponed to allow for the existing eligibility certification process to be completed by the NCAA Eligibility Center.”

The NCAA decertified Balogun’s eligibility earlier this month, and the senior middle linebacker subsequently filed a lawsuit against the NCAA.

Even if a judge had ruled that Balogun could play this season, that still wouldn’t have settled the issue. If Balogun eventually lost his lawsuit, Oklahoma may have had to forfeit any games that he played.

Balogun’s status is particularly crucial for the Sooners after they lost reserve middle linebacker Tom Wort to a knee injury last week. If Balogun can’t play, Oklahoma may have to do some shuffling behind starter Ryan Reynolds, who has suffered three knee injuries in his college career.

At issue is whether Balogun played for a semipro football team after he turned 21 years old. If he did, he stands to lose one year of college eligibility for each corresponding year that he played semipro ball.

Balogun contends in his lawsuit that he played for the Maryland Marauders of the North American Football League from June 2003 until August 2004—prior to his 21st birthday. He also claims that he paid for all of his own expenses.

The lawsuit includes an affidavit from former Maryland Marauders owner Gary Rice stating that Balogun only played for the team in 2003 and 2004. Glass filed three additional affidavits Friday from other semipro football officials who were either unfamiliar with Balogun or unaware of his participation beyond age 21. The court made the affidavits available Monday.

Balogun’s attorney, Woody Glass, did not return telephone calls to his office Monday.

Glass told The Oklahoman newspaper he hopes the NCAA will make a ruling before the Sooners’ season opener Sept. 5 against No. 20 BYU at the Dallas Cowboys’ new stadium in Arlington, Texas. However, Osburn said that although the NCAA had been in touch with Glass, it had no timeframe for its decision.

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 06:11 PM
Osburn said that although the NCAA had been in touch with Glass, it had no timeframe for its decision.

**** you Stacey Osburn.

Lott's Bandana
8/24/2009, 06:12 PM
Totally rooting for Mike, but again...it's better for the team if the NCAA allows him to play...don't want to have to forfeit any games later, or have him sit out until the ruling is handed down.

Dan Thompson
8/24/2009, 06:17 PM
Now the NCAA can take a look at Reggie Bush.

IslandSooner
8/24/2009, 06:48 PM
***k Reggie Bush, Pete Carroll, and the NCAA.

Collier11
8/24/2009, 07:49 PM
i will help ya.;)

Ive got a lot of helpers

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 07:56 PM
Ive got a lot of helpers

Bullshat.

Collier11
8/24/2009, 08:48 PM
PLENTY

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 08:50 PM
PLENTY

WHO?

Collier11
8/24/2009, 08:54 PM
Thats for me to know and you to reap the rewards of...if you earn it that is

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 08:56 PM
Thats for me to know and you to reap the rewards of...if you earn it that is

I got friends in high places on this site, buddy.

:mad: :mad: :D

Collier11
8/24/2009, 09:01 PM
pish posh

CK Sooner
8/24/2009, 09:06 PM
pish posh

Criss Cross.

theresonly1OU
8/24/2009, 10:11 PM
Criss Cross.

pish posh

I always wondered how people got such high post counts on here.

Now I know.

Eielson
8/24/2009, 10:22 PM

Now I know.

If this has you impressed, you haven't seen Jlew!

Collier11
8/24/2009, 10:24 PM
if you mean by stupid arguments and acting like fools then you are correct ;)

Fraggle145
8/24/2009, 10:28 PM
In ;)

rainiersooner
8/24/2009, 10:39 PM
Yeah, I want another post too.

BoulderSooner79
8/25/2009, 01:05 AM
I refuse to play this game just to get another post.

Crucifax Autumn
8/25/2009, 01:14 AM
I'm above it as well.

sooner59
8/25/2009, 01:33 AM
I refuse to play this game just to get another post.

:gary:

goingoneight
8/25/2009, 01:38 AM
:mack:

CK Sooner
8/25/2009, 07:29 AM

Now I know.

Take your crying somewhere else. Thanks.

SoonerPr8r
8/25/2009, 07:54 AM

Now I know.

What do you mean "you people"?

w0lfe
8/25/2009, 07:56 AM
boooooo

Desert Sapper
8/25/2009, 10:18 AM
All anybody has been acting concerned about is losing Balogun for THIS season. The reality is that if the NC double *******s decide that he played semipro ball, he loses 1 year of eligibility for every year that he played past 21. To me, that means we could have to forfeit games from last year. Which means a Big XII title. Which would be bull****.

Thank God for lawyers that have their **** together. This kid deserves to play ball.

BoulderSooner79
8/25/2009, 10:29 AM
Mike was certified to play last year by the NCAA - don't think there is an issue there.

But he started against the gators in January - can we vacate that loss ? ;)

Collier11
8/25/2009, 10:31 AM
No, they are saying he played one yr past 21 which means he would lose this yr, pay tention

theresonly1OU
8/25/2009, 02:32 PM
What do you mean "you people"?

What do YOU mean "you people?" :D

Take your crying somewhere else. Thanks.

Check your sarcasm meter, it's a bit out of date. Thanks.

Back to the matter at hand; any updates?

Gresho Murford
8/25/2009, 02:48 PM
i can't believe this is still going on. How hard is it to find 1.) His proof of age & 2.) When he played?

The NCAA is mind bottling

CK Sooner
8/25/2009, 03:12 PM
What do YOU mean "you people?" :D

Check your sarcasm meter, it's a bit out of date. Thanks.

Back to the matter at hand; any updates?

No.

Partial Qualifier
8/25/2009, 03:17 PM
The NCAA is mind bottling

Boggles & cans, and just clap your hands, and just clap your hands.

http://www.squirrelfood.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/beck.jpg

Gresho Murford
8/25/2009, 03:23 PM
does anybody know why I can't start a thread? it says I don't have permission or something like that.

Collier11
8/25/2009, 03:26 PM
Not enough posts, youve gotta be around for a bit and build up your count first

Gresho Murford
8/25/2009, 03:28 PM
seriously? if true, that is gayer than a sack full of wieners

Collier11
8/25/2009, 03:33 PM
Well the reason, or one of the main reasons they do it is sometimes you have people on here that are posting repeat threads and stuff that doesnt necessarily need its own thread so they give them time to figure that stuff out. Im sure there are other reasons as well

BoulderSooner79
8/25/2009, 03:41 PM
This is a gay board - didn't anyone tell you?

rainiersooner
8/25/2009, 03:45 PM
Welcome to our site - we hope you stay and enjoy it!

http://www.stonewallvets.org/images/TheVillagePeople.jpg

theresonly1OU
8/25/2009, 03:46 PM
This is a gay board - didn't anyone tell you?

http://rlv.zcache.com/tribal_sun_rainbow_colored_skateboard-p186789338614885758qia4_400.jpg

BoulderSooner79
8/25/2009, 03:48 PM
Great pic, Rainier. That's me in the construction worker garb.

Crucifax Autumn
8/25/2009, 03:50 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/back_off_gay_on_board_bumper_sticker-p128734288419587490tmn6_210.jpg

rainiersooner
8/25/2009, 03:52 PM
Great pic, Rainier. That's me in the construction worker garb.

Sweet shades!

olevetonahill
8/25/2009, 03:55 PM
seriously? if true, that is gayer than a sack full of wieners

It cuts down on the Spammers

Gresho Murford
8/25/2009, 04:07 PM
hey why is that line under my name red now? Have I been a bad boy?

Collier11
8/25/2009, 04:11 PM
means you annoyed someone

Gresho Murford
8/25/2009, 04:17 PM
means you annoyed someone

:bsmf:

CK Sooner
8/25/2009, 04:20 PM
:bsmf:

What was your thread going to be about?

Gresho Murford
8/25/2009, 04:24 PM
i really don't even remember. I do know it was going to be awesome though

TexasLidig8r
8/25/2009, 05:23 PM
hey why is that line under my name red now? Have I been a bad boy?

If you are really horrific... or use words with more than one syllable... the hillbillies turn you burnt orange.

See

<---------------

CK Sooner
8/25/2009, 05:31 PM
If you are really horrific... or use words with more than one syllable... the hillbillies turn you burnt orange.

See

<---------------

I think the horrific part applies to you.

olevetonahill
8/25/2009, 07:35 PM

He were wanting Directions to Bolivia ;)

CK Sooner
8/25/2009, 07:35 PM
He where wanting Directions to Bolivia ;)

Well give him the directions.

:D;)

olevetonahill
8/25/2009, 07:44 PM
Well give him the directions.

:D;)

Done did
wonder whos troll he is ?:D

OU Adonis
8/25/2009, 07:45 PM
He were wanting Directions to Bolivia ;)

http://lmgtfy.com/

olevetonahill
8/25/2009, 07:48 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/

Duck , here come a whole flock of em :D

sooner518
8/25/2009, 07:51 PM

im guessing it was going to be about a sack full of weiners. or maybe a picture....

Crucifax Autumn
8/26/2009, 03:08 AM
A picture of a sack full of weiners maybe?

Sooner70
8/26/2009, 06:40 AM
I don't understand how the NCAA works, but it seems to me if they certified Balogun ok to play, then the only way this would come up again is if the NCAA has obtained credible, additional information post that determination that would prompt them to reopen this, or if they think OU wasn't forthcoming in providing ALL the information surrounding Balogun's history--which I can't imagine with the risk involved.

My goodness, surely one or more of the defensive players that played in the game in question could vouch as to whether or not Balogun was there with them or not....doesn't seem like rocket science. Why don't they just interview the players that did play in that game? Maybe they did, & I'm missing something here.

Desert Sapper
8/26/2009, 07:40 AM
No, they are saying he played one yr past 21 which means he would lose this yr, pay tention

Seems to me they can't make up their minds as to how many seasons he played past the age of 21. I've seen it up to 3 years. Without a doubt, that means we would have to vacate the games he played in last year. If you think the NCAA can't retroactively screw teams over, you haven't been paying much attention for the last 30 years or so.

Desert Sapper
8/26/2009, 07:43 AM
Why don't they just interview the players that did play in that game? Maybe they did, & I'm missing something here.

I think his lawyer squared that away. Sounds like the NCAA's 'witness' recanted and Balogun's lawyer has 3 witnesses saying he didn't play past the age of 21. I'm trying to think of how the NCAA can screw us. I know if they can find a way, they will.

PLaw
8/26/2009, 07:55 AM
I highly recommend people at least skim through this (Balogun's petition). The heavy hand of the NCAA is alive and well. There is ZERO due process afforded student athletes by the NCAA. A fundamental tenet of due process is the right to confront your accusers. Balogun provides signed affidavits and testimony, including evidence from the OWNER of the semi-professional team that he did not play after his 21st birthday. Yet, the NCAA decertifies him without a hearing, without disclosing their evidence, nothing.

This chaps my hide.

What is particularily interesting is that the NCAA had already certified him. So, if their initial process was flawed, then why are any of there investigations not at risk of error which should in true sportsmanship fairness demand due process? To rainier's point, the NCAA continues to walk a very fine line of anit-trust infringement in the big, I mean really big business, of college football.

And, that's what chaps my hide.

BOOMER

StoopTroup
8/26/2009, 08:00 AM
What is particularily interesting is that the NCAA had already certified him. So, if their initial process was flawed, then why are any of there investigations not at risk of error which should in true sportsmanship fairness demand due process? To rainier's point, the NCAA continues to walk a very fine line of anit-trust infringement in the big, I mean really big business, of college football.

And, that's what chaps my hide.

BOOMER

I'll have to agree with you on that. They seem to have been able to render what ever punishment they see fit and turn a blind eye when they wanted to do so as well. Eventually they are going to screw something up and if they don't handle it well...the NCAA will be forced to change and it will be an even bigger mess for years is my guess.

Partial Qualifier
8/26/2009, 08:25 AM
HOPEFULLY.... the NCAA actually shows appreciation for the up-front and honest manner in which the OU athletic department has dealt with this and other recent eligilibity matters.

They could do that by certifying him THIS WEEK. :)

StoopTroup
8/26/2009, 04:43 PM
JXOXC2II8kk&feature=sub

CK Sooner
8/26/2009, 04:54 PM
Brian Simmons is ready!

Eielson
8/26/2009, 08:08 PM

Awww, please stop before I cry.

Desert Sapper
8/27/2009, 02:51 AM
Brian Simmons is ready!

I mean, you can smell the food. You just don't got it in your mouth yet. Poetic.

The only food I want to see from Brian is some pancakes. Lots of them.:D

adoniijahsooner
8/27/2009, 06:15 AM
I mean, you can smell the food. You just don't got it in your mouth yet. Poetic.

The only food I want to see from Brian is some pancakes. Lots of them.:D

Flapjacks sounds good to me; think i'll get the old lady to whip me up some.

adoniijahsooner
8/27/2009, 06:26 AM
Damn! Balogun's attorney is the truth!

Mike Balogun’s attorney, Woody Glass, submitted a sixth sworn affidavit to Cleveland County District Court on Wednesday that supports Balogun did not play semi-pro football after his 21st birthday. Glass said earlier this week he’s hoping to get Balogun certified by the NCAA out of court.

Gresho Murford
8/27/2009, 09:36 AM
this is ****ing crap that they would do this to this young man. They clear him. They unclear him. And now it is looking more and more like the ncaa doesn't know what the **** they are talking about and it is still in doubt of when he will get to play. This is so ****ed up and unfair

Collier11
8/27/2009, 09:51 AM
I cant believe the NCAA would decertify him based off of an internet report...give me a break! If they dont clear him now it is clear they just dont want to be wrong, 6 friggin people saying he didnt play after 21

Gresho Murford
8/27/2009, 09:55 AM
I cant believe the NCAA would decertify him based off of an internet report...give me a break! If they dont clear him now it is clear they just dont want to be wrong, 6 friggin people saying he didnt play after 21

and as far as i can tell, 0 saying he did

goingoneight
8/27/2009, 01:11 PM
According to today's TW... Balogun's attorney thinks they could clear him today. MB is still practicing, so the only thing that might have messed him up is the mental "am I just wasting my time or what?" attitude he probably couldn't help but have the last few weeks.

Desert Sapper
8/27/2009, 01:31 PM
Far as I'm concerned, this retroactive stuff is garbage. The only way the NCAA should be playing like this is if something were deliberately withheld. Everything I have seen to this point leads me to believe that was definitely not the case.

BermudaSooner
8/27/2009, 02:19 PM
My biggest concern is that the NCAA just doesn't lose this stuff--they never admit that they are wrong. They'd much rather screw up this kid's life than admit they made a mistake--that's why I'm not too optimistic.

CrimsonJim
8/27/2009, 02:22 PM
Unfortuneately, this is true, Bermuda.

Gresho Murford
8/27/2009, 02:29 PM
is this story getting any national attention?

CK Sooner
8/27/2009, 02:30 PM
is this story getting any national attention?

ESPN

gaylordfan1
8/27/2009, 02:33 PM
I have no doubt that he will be re-certified! I hope it puts a fire under his tail pad!

CrimsonJim
8/27/2009, 02:38 PM
I hope you're right, gaylordfan. The MLB depth has me a bit concerned, and as bad as the Wort loss is, Balogun's recertification would go a long way in shoring up that position.

Gresho Murford
8/27/2009, 02:46 PM
ESPN

how are they spinning it?

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/27/2009, 02:47 PM
I am sure they are asking Tebow his opinion..

CK Sooner
8/27/2009, 02:59 PM
how are they spinning it?

They just stated that his eligibility is in question. They didn't elaborate, or give they're opinion.

beer4me
8/27/2009, 03:40 PM
They just stated that his eligibility is in question. They didn't elaborate, or give they're opinion.

Can you say c-r-a-p this has been a big circle jerk from the get go:mad:

BoomerJ
8/27/2009, 05:00 PM
I try to catch ESPN's College Footbal Live when I can because I've needed a football fix the past few months and next week can't get here soon enough.

This show will do a 5 second blurb about Balogun and rush back to see if there is any breaking news about USC's quarterback position.

CK Sooner
8/27/2009, 05:24 PM
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
Published: 8/27/2009 2:25 AM
Last Modified: 8/27/2009 5:57 AM

Mike Balogun's future with the Oklahoma football team could resume as early as Thursday.

The Sooner linebacker has been in NCAA limbo since his eligibility was decertified on Aug. 14, and since he filed a civil lawsuit against the NCAA on Aug. 18 that allowed him to keep practicing.

But Balogun's lawyer said in an e-mail interview Wednesday night that he expects to know Thursday when the NCAA will make a final determination.

Norman attorney Woody Glass also said he filed an additional supplement to his original motion for a temporary restraining order. The new supplement contains an affidavit from Charles McGriff, Balogun's former coach with the semi-pro Maryland Marauders, that supports three other sworn affidavits submitted last Friday claiming Balogun did not play for the Marauders or the Prince George Jets after his 21st birthday.

McGriff told the NCAA during its initial investigation that he thought Balogun had played for him in 2005, but in the affidavit, he says now he does not believe Balogun played for him at that time.

The NCAA is trying to determine whether Balogun played amateur or semipro (unpaid) football after Sept. 28, 2004. Several online resources indicate he did, but court documents have claimed those resources are unreliable. If the NCAA can show Balogun is in violation of Bylaw 14.2.3.5, Balogun would lose a season of college eligibility.

Glass, however, has now filed six sworn affidavits — including one from Balogun — that assert or suggest he didn't play semi-pro after turning 21. Both parties agreed to cancel a Monday hearing that had sought a permanent restraining order against the NCAA's decertification, but Glass said if the NCAA decides not to reinstate Balogun, he'll likely refile the request.

Glass earlier explained that the NCAA's legal team is reviewing all the information that he's uncovered and is considering an accord that would allow Balogun to play this season.

Glass said he thinks the NCAA is "expediting the reviewing process" in the hopes that Balogun's eligibility can be reinstated before the Sooners open the season against BYU.

Glass also said the NCAA making a decision later than Sept. 5 "is possible, but I am trying everything I can to ensure we have a decision before the season opener."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr

OU Adonis
8/27/2009, 05:54 PM

Are you saying that everything we read off the interweb may not be true???????

goingoneight
8/27/2009, 05:57 PM
I REALLY hope MB gets to play. He seems like one of the good stories in college football and not some thug who's taking five-hundred dollar handshakes that the NCAA is usually trying to sniff out at all places not named USC.

I wonder if he's cleared if he's still right there with Reynolds for the starting spot. From what I heard prior to this eligibility mess was that Balogun was becoming a force out there and it was going to be extremely hard to keep him off the field.

Fraggle145
8/28/2009, 11:59 AM
Any new info?

Lott's Bandana
8/28/2009, 12:25 PM
Any new info?

I know huh....I have been Googlin all day.

CK Sooner
8/28/2009, 12:31 PM
Any new info?

nope

Fraggle145
8/28/2009, 12:38 PM
****in bastages need to hurry up.

Sooner70
8/29/2009, 09:26 AM
Today's Oklahoman reports no change in determining Balogun's eligibiity status. He continues to practice with the team as of Friday per the restraining orders.

This really kinda sucks. The NCAA really needs to get this done. Heck, there's a game a week from today. I don't know whether it bodes well or bad that this is taking awhile for the NCAA to make this determination. Any thoughts on that?

OUHOMER
8/29/2009, 09:53 AM
Today's Oklahoman reports no change in determining Balogun's eligibiity status. He continues to practice with the team as of Friday per the restraining orders.

This really kinda sucks. The NCAA really needs to get this done. Heck, there's a game a week from today. I don't know whether it bodes well or bad that this is taking awhile for the NCAA to make this determination. Any thoughts on that?

I have to assume MB'S lawyers know something or were told something or they would not have dropped the law suit.

gaylordfan1
8/29/2009, 11:10 AM
Work is Mikes lawyer pissed off the NCAA somehow and they are dragging their feet. Getting him back for the BYU game is not a must... We just need him back! The sooner the better.

CK Sooner
8/29/2009, 11:12 AM
Work is Mikes lawyer pissed off the NCAA somehow and they are dragging their feet. Getting him back for the BYU game is not a must... We just need him back! The sooner the better.

Where did you hear that from?

gaylordfan1
8/29/2009, 11:18 AM
From a friend of a friends cousins twin sister. Na, its reliable though. The guy has a inside friend. He told me about Murray's hamstring a week before it was released this summer, so I trust him.

CK Sooner
8/29/2009, 11:19 AM
From a friend of a friends cousins twin sister. Na, its reliable though. The guy has a inside friend. He told me about Murray's hamstring a week before it was released this summer, so I trust him.

Anyone that has a class with him or is friends with him knew about that.

CK Sooner
8/29/2009, 11:27 AM
I am just happy that it is looking like he is going to get cleared, eventually. If they don't decide by the BYU game then it won't hurt us that much. I just hope they decide by when we head out to Miami.

gaylordfan1
8/29/2009, 11:29 AM
I'm just letting everyone know what I heard. Take it however you want. I don't remember hearing everyone talking about Murrays hamstring until it came out in the news... So I guess everyone that saw him in class or who is his friend was sworn to keep their mouth shut. Just saying.

gaylordfan1
8/29/2009, 11:30 AM
I am just happy that it is looking like he is going to get cleared, eventually. If they don't decide by the BYU game then it won't hurt us that much. I just hope they decide by when we head out to Miami.

Me too man. It shouldn't take much longer.... I pray.

goingoneight
8/29/2009, 04:21 PM
Bottom line is if it's common knowledge he's gonna be cleared... the NCAA needs to quit ****ing around and clear him. It's his last year and they're costing him time.

delhalew
8/29/2009, 04:26 PM
I never underestimate what sorry SOB's we are dealing with here...I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I cannot begin to understand how Mike must be feeling...if he is able to stay focused through this, he's a better man than me.

CK Sooner
8/29/2009, 04:26 PM
Bottom line is if it's common knowledge he's gonna be cleared... the NCAA needs to quit ****ing around and clear him. It's his last year and they're costing him time.

It's not costing him anything right now since he is practicing. Now if they wait until after the BYU game then they are costing him.

BoulderSooner79
8/29/2009, 04:34 PM
If this drags out and Mike does *not* get cleared to play, it's a huge hit. Not just losing Mike, but all the reps he is taking from others in the mean time. Hope this doesn't happen, but the NCAA baffles me at times.

Dan Thompson
8/29/2009, 05:37 PM
Well I heard that the money or compensation that Reggie Bush or family received was not reported to the IRS or the State of California as income!

Are the Feds reading this?

Scott D
8/29/2009, 05:48 PM
Well if the past is any indication of how the NCAA works. We'll know on September 4th by 8pm.

budbarrybob
8/29/2009, 06:07 PM
Well if the past is any indication of how the NCAA works. We'll know on Jan 7th by 10pm.

Fixed...

gaylordfan1
8/29/2009, 06:14 PM
Fixed...

^^^^ That my friend is more like it! It wouldn't surprise me. Gosh I hope not!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

douxpaysan
8/29/2009, 06:23 PM
Well if the past is any indication of how the NCAA works. We'll know on September 4th by 8pm.

You must be an early bird...us nightowls figure 1 to 2 am.

Scott D
8/30/2009, 10:11 AM
*shrug* given their past history, they've made public their rulings on both Dwayne Jarrett and Mike Williams the day prior to their first game.

Crucifax Autumn
8/30/2009, 10:21 AM
Of course. Why would the NCAA do something sensible like give the coaches and players a chance to know what's going on in time for game planning and all that.

Jdog
8/30/2009, 06:39 PM
My biggest concern is that the NCAA just doesn't lose this stuff--they never admit that they are wrong. They'd much rather screw up this kid's life than admit they made a mistake--that's why I'm not too optimistic.

NCAA doesn't care about the kids - they see players as just statistics. They only care about money and protecting the big money markets Like SC, and ND.

gaylordfan1
8/31/2009, 08:30 AM
Someone brought up a good point in another thread. Maybe the coaches know something that we don't. Balogun is still practicing as 2nd string MLB, while Box is still practicing as 2nd string WLB. They wouldn't be doing this unless they knew otherwise. So, things are looking good as of now.

LawtonBoy74
8/31/2009, 10:00 AM
Someone brought up a good point in another thread. Maybe the coaches know something that we don't. Balogun is still practicing as 2nd string MLB, while Box is still practicing as 2nd string WLB. They wouldn't be doing this unless they knew otherwise. So, things are looking good as of now.

You got a point I hope your right

htownsooner7
8/31/2009, 11:04 AM
I here there are a lot of schools waiting on rulings by the NCAA, particularly with freshman being cleared. The NCAA moves fast for no one.

Fraggle145
8/31/2009, 03:01 PM
Any news? :pop:

CK Sooner
8/31/2009, 03:02 PM
Any news? :pop:

Nope.

Fraggle145
8/31/2009, 03:05 PM
FML.

Sooner FLiP
8/31/2009, 03:06 PM

yea and he is listed 2nd on the depth chart for the game. surely his name wouldnt be released on the depth chart if he wasnt eligible to play. we will see though.

CK Sooner
8/31/2009, 03:07 PM
You will know when they decide. All the boards will explode.

Collier11
8/31/2009, 03:17 PM
would the ncaa clear him and OU not release any info...say for instance, would he play Sat without us hearing anything

starclassic tama
8/31/2009, 03:32 PM
no but stoops would tell us he's 100% if he has 2 shattered tibias

CK Sooner
8/31/2009, 04:49 PM
would the ncaa clear him and OU not release any info...say for instance, would he play Sat without us hearing anything

They would release it, or it would get leaked easily.

adoniijahsooner
8/31/2009, 05:35 PM
No go against BYU

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090831_92_0_NRAhie112686

OU linebacker Mike Balogun won't play against BYU, his attorney says
By John E. Hoover and Guerin Emig - Tulsa World
Published: August 31, 2009
Oklahoma linebacker Mike Balogun’s eligibility issues continue, and he won’t make the trip to Dallas for the season-opening football game Saturday against Brigham Young, his attorney said in an e-mail this afternoon.

“The NCAA has not made a decision and they will not have a decision before Friday,” Balogun’s attorney, Woody Glass, said in an e-mail. “Mike will not be able to travel with the team or participate in the game.”

In a depth chart released by OU today, Balogun is listed as the backup middle linebacker. Senior Ryan Reynolds, who is returning from his second serious knee injury, is the starter.

bonkuba
8/31/2009, 05:46 PM
No go against BYU

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090831_92_0_NRAhie112686

Better safe than sorry.........

I don't want those NCAA bastages to have ANY reason to come down on us.....well other than the other normal BS :D

CK Sooner
8/31/2009, 05:50 PM
Wonder what caused such a fast decision in the Brown ordeal? ****ing pieces of ****.

Sooner-N-KS
8/31/2009, 06:59 PM
Wonder what caused such a fast decision in the Brown ordeal? ****ing pieces of ****.

Maybe Brian Butler had some leftover money they raised that he was willing to share with the NCAA investigator.

Partial Qualifier
8/31/2009, 07:05 PM
I have a good idea. Hey NCAA, why don't you de-certify a player based on some fubar website, published by a player (not coaches or an organization -- a PLAYER) and then when it's been politefully pointed out that you're being ****ing stupid and presented signed affidavits from 5 individuals who should know if he played... all say he didn't... and the one person you had who said he DID play past 21 has recanted...why don't you drag your heels just to, you know, put the icing on your big fat piece of **** cake?? How about that? Great!

****ing *******s :mad:

delhalew
8/31/2009, 08:28 PM
^^This. NCAA=****sticks.

rainiersooner
9/1/2009, 12:45 AM
I have a good idea. Hey NCAA, why don't you de-certify a player based on some fubar website, published by a player (not coaches or an organization -- a PLAYER) and then when it's been politefully pointed out that you're being ****ing stupid and presented signed affidavits from 5 individuals who should know if he played... all say he didn't... and the one person you had who said he DID play past 21 has recanted...why don't you drag your heels just to, you know, put the icing on your big fat piece of **** cake?? How about that? Great!

Actually, really pathetic how they are acting.

gaylordfan1
9/1/2009, 08:05 AM
Well, its official. Balogun will not be making the trip to Jerry World, according to his lawyer. Damn... that sucks.

CK Sooner
9/1/2009, 08:06 AM
Well, its official. Balogun will not be making the trip to Jerry World, according to his lawyer. Damn... that sucks.

Luckily its only BYU.

goingoneight
9/1/2009, 08:08 AM
Hit'em for more $$$, Balogun. That's clearly how this works. :mad:

beer4me
9/1/2009, 08:33 AM

Well put

Gresho Murford
9/1/2009, 09:42 AM
****ing fishsticks

Collier11
9/1/2009, 09:56 AM
Do you like fishsticks?

Gresho Murford
9/1/2009, 10:08 AM
Do you like fishsticks?

why yes...yes i do. Especially with a special sauce

Lott's Bandana
9/1/2009, 10:24 AM
Rhode said yesterday that the longer this goes, the worse it looks for MB, based on the fact that Florida State is looking at this situation real hard because of their own player.

The NCAA ruling for MB will affect the FSU kid and that is what JR thinks is the sticking point here.

Lawyers waiting to pounce.

Fraggle145
9/17/2009, 12:12 AM
Looks like they arent going to reinstate him... just drag it out for the whole season. Sucks.

Crucifax Autumn
9/17/2009, 02:59 AM
That just means he has until next August to sue their asses and play next year.

BoulderSooner79
9/17/2009, 07:46 AM
He should crank up the damages in his suit to millions. Whatever chance he had to be looked at by an NFL team is now zero; that's real damages.

NormanPride
9/17/2009, 09:49 AM
Bastards. Why didn't he do what that poke pitcher did?

Collier11
9/17/2009, 09:55 AM
Not sure if true or not but Mark Rodgers said on the SA the other day that OU is basically stuck between a rock and a hard place, while they think he should be allowed to play, if they sue the NCAA and lose the NCAA will make them forfeit wins. Now he didnt specify if he meant for the previous year or if Balogun played this yr

OklahomaTuba
9/17/2009, 09:58 AM
If anyone needs to be sued, its the NCAA.

Statalyzer
9/17/2009, 11:40 AM
Looks like they arent going to reinstate him... just drag it out for the whole season. Sucks.

It's really, really stupid how the NCAA does this. If they can't get their act together in time, they should let players play in the meantime, because otherwise you end up with guys getting suspended for the crime of just being suspected.

Happened to Texas' Mike Williams in basketball a few years ago. He missed a big chunk of the start of the year until the NCAA realized that they were after the wrong Mike Williams. And then just "oops, sorry, you can start playing now".

Happened to Tech with either Hicks or Filani, too, about the same time. Missed a third of the season for doing nothing wrong. Now it's happening to Balogun, too - even if it turns out eventually that he shouldn't be eligible, the NCAA should let him play until they can prove their case and then declare him eligible only from the declaration date and afterward. It's far better to let a guy play a few games he shouldn't than to ban a guy from playing in games he should.

Collier11
9/17/2009, 11:46 AM
exactly, its not like he is giving us some unfair advantage and its not like he committed a crime, let him play without penalty. The thing that pisses me off is the NCAA is more willing to keep him suspended from play due to speculation than to let him play due to speculation

Collier11
9/17/2009, 11:47 AM
and it is equally retarded if they are just holding him out due to Florida states situation and vice versa

olevetonahill
9/17/2009, 03:03 PM
Whats the matter with you people ?
The NCAA is To busy Investigating USC and Bush to worry about trivial matters Like MB:rolleyes:

SONofa47straitSOONER
9/17/2009, 03:53 PM
I guess innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply with the NCAA.

I guarantee if someone dug deep enough with just about anyone on the NCAA's staff, they could find something that would get them fired from their job.

oudivesherpa
9/17/2009, 04:24 PM
Is this law suit still active? Has Balogun dropped his case against the NCAA?
If not, maybe a court of law is where this should be resolved and while were at it add some other claims, such as, the fact that players don't really have an option they almost are forced to go through the NCCA to get to play pro football.

Scott D
9/17/2009, 04:31 PM
the last part of that isn't the NCAA's doing, it's the NFL's and they had it upheld a few years ago when Clarett and Mike Williams tried challenging it.

rainiersooner
9/18/2009, 01:16 AM
It's unbelievable to me that there are decision periods within the NCAA by-laws. This is so much less about OU right now and whether we need him or not. This is about fairness to a kid who is just trying to play football. Pathetic.

beer4me
9/18/2009, 06:21 AM
Is this law suit still active? Has Balogun dropped his case against the NCAA?
If not, maybe a court of law is where this should be resolved and while were at it add some other claims, such as, the fact that players don't really have an option they almost are forced to go through the NCCA to get to play pro football.

He dropped the suit but his lawyer said the door was open to file it again.

That was a couple of weeks back now don't know if it has changed since then.

Gresho Murford
9/18/2009, 10:19 AM
Not sure if true or not but Mark Rodgers said on the SA the other day that OU is basically stuck between a rock and a hard place, while they think he should be allowed to play, if they sue the NCAA and lose the NCAA will make them forfeit wins. Now he didnt specify if he meant for the previous year or if Balogun played this yr

I don't think that is correct. He should be able to sue the NCAA and it wouldn't effect OU. He was certified eligible to play in all the games he has played in.

Collier11
9/18/2009, 10:21 AM
Balogun can sue the NCAA and win, but if OU played him and the NCAA later won an appeal we would have to forfeit any wins we had with him

Jock Ewing
9/18/2009, 05:00 PM
He dropped the suit because there are about 8 different articles out there discussing his fine play for that semi pro team after he was 21. Basically, because he was full of crap. I guess OU's compliance department can't manage a simple Google search.

It isn't just one article. There are several. They discuss his play in detail. I am a lawyer and the affidavits submitted by his lawyer had so much wiggle room that they are worthless.