PDA

View Full Version : SIAP: 5 Toughest Schedules in '09

westcoast_sooner
8/19/2009, 12:56 AM
One of the guys I read out here is Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News. The paper itself isn't very good, but his opinions, though slanted toward the Pac-10 somewhat are usually pretty honest.

Here is a link to his 5 toughest schedules this year.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2009/08/17/bcs-football-the-five-toughest-schedules/

hotshot13422
8/19/2009, 01:15 AM
we almost always play one of the toughest schedules. This isn't texas or florida, we like competition.

gaylordfan1
8/19/2009, 01:37 AM
Another reason strength of schedule should be factored back into the BCS.

yermom
8/19/2009, 03:22 AM
well, factored more in like before

they still can't seem to keep OU out of the championship game very well by changing it

the only year the BCS changes might have kept us out was 2007 when really we had as much reason to be there as LSU

but 2003, 2004 and 2008 all came down in our favor over someone with a similar record because of our SOS in the computers

sooner59
8/19/2009, 03:42 AM
Well....SOS isn't part of the BCS anymore....in theory. But in reality, it is. A third of the ranking is the computers and some of them factor in SOS. So we almost always come out ahead in the computers because of this. I love the fact that we play a tough schedule. I think it helps you in the long run....whether it be in SOS or experience against tough teams. Castiglione is doing us right by scheduling good teams.

pweitkem
8/19/2009, 06:47 AM
Mr. Wilner loses all credibility when he puts USC's schedule in the top 5. It's top 5 because they have to play Notre Dame, Cal and Oregon? Seriously?

CincySooner
8/19/2009, 07:14 AM
I'm sorry, but OU doesn't have the toughest schedule out of those five teams.

I agree that it's tough, but the layup against Idaho St. should keep us from #1.

gaylordfan1
8/19/2009, 09:01 AM
everyone schedules at least 1 cake game... sometimes it can't be avoided.

oudivesherpa
8/19/2009, 09:35 AM
I've always wanted to play with William & Mary...at least Mary

DakotaSooner
8/19/2009, 09:46 AM
OU could play the toughest 10 teams in football, and someone would still point out the one game that they play against Idaho St......every team plays one cupcake game...

Jacie
8/19/2009, 10:10 AM
It is still preseason. An SOS ranking means about as much as the preseason polls. Until the teams play, no one really knows the strength of the opposition.

Partial Qualifier
8/19/2009, 10:46 AM

http://www.divasthesite.com/images/Diva_Graves/Queen_Mary_grave.jpg

good luck with that ;)

BoulderSooner79
8/19/2009, 11:02 AM

they still can't seem to keep OU out of the championship game very well by changing it

the only year the BCS changes might have kept us out was 2007 when really we had as much reason to be there as LSU

but 2003, 2004 and 2008 all came down in our favor over someone with a similar record because of our SOS in the computers

I have to disagree about '07 - that loss to Colorado was inexcusable. Also, with 5 starters out (I'm assuming Granger would not have pulled that bonehead move), I wouldn't like our chances in the title game.
But yeah, the BCS has been very kind to OU and SOS has generally been a factor.

o0Dan0o
8/19/2009, 11:07 AM
I'm sorry, but OU doesn't have the toughest schedule out of those five teams.

I agree that it's tough, but the layup against Idaho St. should keep us from #1.

I might put Georgia above us, but that's the only team of the five that I really believe plays a harder schedule.
Dan

BoulderSooner79
8/19/2009, 11:36 AM
I don't mind that 1 cupcake that OU (and everyone else) has the schedule. Going to a 12 game schedule is brutal and the revenue those smaller teams get really helps their programs. Also, it may be a guaranteed win, but the game is not without it's cost. UF had 3 players hurt in their "bye" week against the Citadel last year. Playing an Idaho State is really no different than playing a down team from D1 like North Texas, but people gripe more about it.

OUmillenium
8/19/2009, 11:48 AM
"six bowl-bound teams on the road/neutral sites and three more at home."

That's big time + the probability that we play in the Big 12 conf champ game. That also tends to be a late season SOS benefit as well as style points for the human voters.

BosworthXXXL
8/19/2009, 12:01 PM
this is what Phil Steele's list looks like

1 South Carolina
2 Florida State
3 Oklahoma
4 Mississippi St
5 Minnesota
6 Arkansas
7 Georgia
8 Virginia Tech
9 Tennessee
10 Michigan St
11 Oregon
12 Miami

17 USC

34 Florida

40 Texas

JLEW1818
8/19/2009, 12:13 PM
5. Miami: Nobody has a rougher start than the Hurricanes, who face Florida State (road), Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech (road) and Oklahoma. The final eight are easier but not easy.

4. USC: The toughest schedule in the Pac-10 and one of the toughest in the country with roadies against four teams (Ohio State, Notre Dame, Cal and Oregon) that could all win nine games or more. And even if the Irish of ‘09 are the same as the Irish of ‘08, it’s still mighty difficult.

3. Georgia: In addition to an SEC lineup that includes LSU and, of course, Florida, the Dawgs play Oklahoma State and Georgia Tech — both are potential top-10 teams and both games are on the road. Good thing they have Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Moreno. Err ….

2. Florida State: Of the four non-conference games, one is at BYU and one is at Florida. (A third: never-easy USF.) Add Miami, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Clemson and BC — the ACC should be very good this season — and the ‘Noles won’t have more than two or three easy Saturdays.

1. Oklahoma: The non-conference lineup features Brigham Young (neutral) and Miami (road), while the Big 12 lineup includes the loaded Big 12 South along with arguably the two best teams in the North (Nebraska and Kansas) on the road. By my count, the Sooners will play six bowl-bound teams on the road/neutral sites and three more at home.

soonerfan28
8/19/2009, 12:15 PM
We would easily have the toughest if not for Spud State.

Hot Rod
8/19/2009, 12:18 PM
By my count, the Sooners will play six bowl-bound teams on the road/neutral sites and three more at home.

OSU, KSU, & Tulsa would be my bets.

Sooner in Tampa
8/19/2009, 12:19 PM
we almost always play one of the toughest schedules. This isn't texas or florida, we like competition.

But, but, florida is in the mighty sec...therefore, they get a pass

JLEW1818
8/19/2009, 12:19 PM
i don't think KSU will make a bowl, the didn't make one last year with Freeman did they?

aggies or baylor will make a bowl

i for one, hope the aggies have 5 wins going into the texas game.

Johnny Utah
8/19/2009, 01:03 PM
i don't think KSU will make a bowl, the didn't make one last year with Freeman did they?

aggies or baylor will make a bowl

i for one, hope the aggies have 5 wins going into the texas game.

and how many wins coming out of the texas game?

JLEW1818
8/19/2009, 01:12 PM
lets hope 6 :D

CK Sooner
8/19/2009, 01:14 PM

Exactly.

Johnny Utah
8/19/2009, 01:16 PM

agreed

RedstickSooner
8/19/2009, 01:36 PM

Well, kinda depends on what Mary is up for, don't it?

cheezyq
8/19/2009, 04:53 PM
Well....SOS isn't part of the BCS anymore....in theory. But in reality, it is. A third of the ranking is the computers and some of them factor in SOS. So we almost always come out ahead in the computers because of this. I love the fact that we play a tough schedule. I think it helps you in the long run....whether it be in SOS or experience against tough teams. Castiglione is doing us right by scheduling good teams.

This isn't quite true. SOS is most definitely figured into the computers. What is NOT anymore is Margin of Victory.

In reality, changes were made AFTER OU made the BCSC for the purpose of setting up a favorable matchup the following year, under the guise of "correcting a problem with the formula". For instance, in 2003/4 the Margin of Victory component was minimized to 21 points because it was believed that the 77-0 romp and others got us in over USC.

In 2004/5, the media wanted to see SEC vs. USC, and was bummed that we made it instead. So, Margin of Victory was completely removed and the computers were minimized in favor of the FAR more objective media. :rolleyes:

When USC didn't get in in 2007, the AP "took their ball and went home" pouting by removing themselves from the formula.

mOUse
8/19/2009, 09:24 PM
I would like to give it up to three schools for an outstanding and difficult schedule: Georgia, Virginia Tech and Miami. Especially Georgia! Showing the rest of the SEC what a real schedule is like (Not that Furman and UNT arent solid contenders but come on!) Two pushovers on every schedule except UG. If any of these three schools come out of their schedule with 2 or less losses, I'd be very impressed and that goes for OU too. Honorable mention: Baylor.

Boomer Sooner!

westcoast_sooner
8/20/2009, 12:42 AM
Personally, I like a "weak sisters of the poor" to start things off since it gives our guys a game at 'game speed' to get it together. Stoops and co like a challenge - take TCU in '05 and BYU this year. Gotta love how that has to help our strength of schedule, whether factored in or not officially, it is. The computers are looking at how your competition plays the rest of the season and if you're beating bowl bound teams vs teams that are 1-11, it makes a difference.

gatorpower
8/20/2009, 10:30 AM

SOS (as determined by the NCAA (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2008/Internet/toughest%20schedule/tough.html))

2000: Florida #1
2001: Florida #15
2002: Florida #7
2003: Florida #2
2004: Florida #32
2005: Florida #27
2006: Florida #1
2007: Florida #3
2008: Florida #2
--------------------------------------
Avg Florida #9

Since 2000, Florida has beaten (not just played) 27 ranked teams (AP Poll Final) (27/9 = 3 per year).

#2 LSU 2003
#2 Ohio State 2006
#3 LSU 2006
#3 Georgia 2002
#5 Oklahoma 2008
#6 Alabama 2008
#7 Georgia 2003
#7 LSU 2001
#10 Georgia 2005
#11 Maryland 2001
#12 Tennessee 2007
#13 Georgia 2008
#13 South Carolina 2001
#14 Auburn 2002
#15 Florida State 2001
#15 Florida State 2004
#15 Arkansas 2006
#18 Auburn 2000
#18 Auburn 2000 (SECCG)
#19 South Carolina 2000
#20 Georgia 2000
#21 Florida State 2008
#22 LSU 2000
#22 Georgia 2001
#23 Florida State 2005
#23 Georgia 2006
#25 Tennessee 2006

Please don't compare Florida to Texas.

cheezyq
8/20/2009, 10:40 AM
SOS (as determined by the NCAA (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2008/Internet/toughest%20schedule/tough.html))

2000: Florida #1
2001: Florida #15
2002: Florida #7
2003: Florida #2
2004: Florida #32
2005: Florida #27
2006: Florida #1
2007: Florida #3
2008: Florida #2
--------------------------------------
Avg Florida #9

Since 2000, Florida has beaten (not just played) 27 ranked teams (AP Poll Final) (27/9 = 3 per year).

#2 LSU 2003
#2 Ohio State 2006
#3 LSU 2006
#3 Georgia 2002
#5 Oklahoma 2008
#6 Alabama 2008
#7 Georgia 2003
#7 LSU 2001
#10 Georgia 2005
#11 Maryland 2001
#12 Tennessee 2007
#13 Georgia 2008
#13 South Carolina 2001
#14 Auburn 2002
#15 Florida State 2001
#15 Florida State 2004
#15 Arkansas 2006
#18 Auburn 2000
#18 Auburn 2000 (SECCG)
#19 South Carolina 2000
#20 Georgia 2000
#21 Florida State 2008
#22 LSU 2000
#22 Georgia 2001
#23 Florida State 2005
#23 Georgia 2006
#25 Tennessee 2006

Please don't compare Florida to Texas.

Look through that list and tell us which ones weren't:

1. In conference
2. In Florida
3. In a bowl

You don't schedule worth crap. You live off the myth that the SEC is so tough you don't have to schedule non-con.

Thanks for trying.

gatorpower
8/20/2009, 11:01 AM
Look through that list and tell us which ones weren't:

1. In conference
2. In Florida
3. In a bowl

You don't schedule worth crap. You live off the myth that the SEC is so tough you don't have to schedule non-con.

Thanks for trying.

Your criteria is a make-believe invention. It's arbitrary. In fact, it's unnecessarily arbitrary. The fact is, the governing body of the college football ranks schedules and those are the rankings.

I didn't make them up because I personally believe one team is better than another. The rankings by the NCAA is empirical. It's the same one that had Oklahoma ranked #1 as the hardest schedule last year.

The whole OOC invented arguement says that 67% of a team's schedule "doesn't count". If they don't really count, then why should we play them? Why game-plan for them at all, if they don't count? They "don't count" for fans on message boards trying to win schedule arguments.

The truth is, they do count. Whether you're playing a top-10 from in-conference, out-of-conference or out-of-state, you're still playing a top-10 team.

The rankings can come from the AP or the Coaches or the Computers; all of which are pretty consistent with each other. Beating a #2 LSU team in 2003 "doesn't count" because they wear the same patch on their uniform as Florida? Playing Florida State or Miami "doesn't count" because they happen to be good and play in the same state? (I guess we should move our program to a state like Nebraska, which only has one Division 1A football program. Then we could count wins against Florida State.)

The SEC Championship game "doesn't count". The bowl game "doesn't count". You're just finding arbitrary arguments for what "doesn't count" because if you split hairs long enough, you can find one little nugget you can win the scheduling argument on.

But the fact is, when you're scheduling teams and you look back at the past 10-15 years, especially when Florida State was a perpetual top-5 team since 1987, what do you say to yourself? "Sure, we average playing more than 3 ranked teams every year, but we should beef up our regular season schedule with teams out-of-conference, out-of-state and from any other approved lists to make fanboys happy on message boards?"

cheezyq
8/20/2009, 12:34 PM
Your criteria is a make-believe invention. It's arbitrary. In fact, it's unnecessarily arbitrary. The fact is, the governing body of the college football ranks schedules and those are the rankings.

I didn't make them up because I personally believe one team is better than another. The rankings by the NCAA is empirical. It's the same one that had Oklahoma ranked #1 as the hardest schedule last year.

The whole OOC invented arguement says that 67% of a team's schedule "doesn't count". If they don't really count, then why should we play them? Why game-plan for them at all, if they don't count? They "don't count" for fans on message boards trying to win schedule arguments.

The truth is, they do count. Whether you're playing a top-10 from in-conference, out-of-conference or out-of-state, you're still playing a top-10 team.

The rankings can come from the AP or the Coaches or the Computers; all of which are pretty consistent with each other. Beating a #2 LSU team in 2003 "doesn't count" because they wear the same patch on their uniform as Florida? Playing Florida State or Miami "doesn't count" because they happen to be good and play in the same state? (I guess we should move our program to a state like Nebraska, which only has one Division 1A football program. Then we could count wins against Florida State.)

The SEC Championship game "doesn't count". The bowl game "doesn't count". You're just finding arbitrary arguments for what "doesn't count" because if you split hairs long enough, you can find one little nugget you can win the scheduling argument on.

But the fact is, when you're scheduling teams and you look back at the past 10-15 years, especially when Florida State was a perpetual top-5 team since 1987, what do you say to yourself? "Sure, we average playing more than 3 ranked teams every year, but we should beef up our regular season schedule with teams out-of-conference, out-of-state and from any other approved lists to make fanboys happy on message boards?"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

As usual, the Gator fan doesn't get the point. Didn't we do this several months ago with you guys, making a point and arguing with the UF fan(s) that is(are) too retarded to pay attention to what's being said?

The point was that OU "schedules" (that's a verb, not a noun) good teams. mOUse made the point that Georgia/Va Tech/Miami "schedules" (verb) good OOC teams. UF doesn't. Nor does any other SEC team for that matter. UF didn't "schedule" (verb) a single one of those teams, sans Florida State. And playing teams inside your own state doesn't provide the same level of competition as playing teams out of state on the road. It's that simple, almost enough for a Gator fan to comprehend....almost. The typical teams your beloved Gators schedule (verb) are teams like the Citadel, etc. Everyone else is just a team you happen to play along the way as part of your schedule (noun).

One can make a very strong argument that the SEC doesn't schedule (verb) anyone good outside of the SEC, thus inflating their overall records and rankings once the conference season begins, and their schedule ranking (noun) as well. But that's another argument for another day.

Johnny Utah
8/20/2009, 12:48 PM
Love em or not, Jim Rome just finished talking about floridas schedule (as only rome can) ... called it "murderers row" and "courageous" to schedule the likes of Charleston Southern and Troy U (at home no less). Good stuff imho.

JLEW1818
8/20/2009, 12:53 PM
I like Jim

CK Sooner
8/20/2009, 01:04 PM
I like Jim

Ditto

Johnny Utah
8/20/2009, 01:12 PM
rome never was able to get traction here in atlanta but not many of the nationally syndicated shows have :confused: ... guess they don't worship at the sec sec sec altar

JLEW1818
8/20/2009, 01:16 PM
this never gets old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Salt City Sooner
8/20/2009, 01:18 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

As usual, the Gator fan doesn't get the point. Didn't we do this several months ago with you guys, making a point and arguing with the UF fan(s) that is(are) too retarded to pay attention to what's being said?

The point was that OU "schedules" (that's a verb, not a noun) good teams. mOUse made the point that Georgia/Va Tech/Miami "schedules" (verb) good OOC teams. UF doesn't. Nor does any other SEC team for that matter. UF didn't "schedule" (verb) a single one of those teams, sans Florida State. And playing teams inside your own state doesn't provide the same level of competition as playing teams out of state on the road. It's that simple, almost enough for a Gator fan to comprehend....almost. The typical teams your beloved Gators schedule (verb) are teams like the Citadel, etc. Everyone else is just a team you happen to play along the way as part of your schedule (noun).

One can make a very strong argument that the SEC doesn't schedule (verb) anyone good outside of the SEC, thus inflating their overall records and rankings once the conference season begins, and their schedule ranking (noun) as well. But that's another argument for another day.

Agree & disagree (just a bit).

1. Tennessee & Alabama (to a lesser extent) usually have some pretty decent OOC's.

2. From the stat fact file: In September of 1980, Florida beat Ga. Tech in Atlanta 23-10. In the 28 seasons since that one, UF has exactly one regular season win vs. a current BCS team outside the state of Florida, that being a 1986 victory at Rutgers.

Johnny Utah
8/20/2009, 01:19 PM
this never gets old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

no it doesnt but romey has ... that was from a long time ago

JLEW1818
8/20/2009, 01:19 PM
good find

cheezyq
8/20/2009, 02:47 PM
Agree & disagree (just a bit).

1. Tennessee & Alabama (to a lesser extent) usually have some pretty decent OOC's.

Excellent point. And guess which SEC teams go into their conference schedules with a loss the most often. Of course, there's always Vandy, Kentucky, Miss. St., Arkansas, Ole Miss, and South Carolina...but those teams don't count in the "strongest conference from top to bottom" argument when you talk to an SEC fan.

2. From the stat fact file: In September of 1980, Florida beat Ga. Tech in Atlanta 23-10. In the 28 seasons since that one, UF has exactly one regular season win vs. a current BCS team outside the state of Florida, that being a 1986 victory at Rutgers.

Another fantastic point. :)

CincySooner
8/20/2009, 03:26 PM
In reality, changes were made AFTER OU made the BCSC for the purpose of setting up a favorable matchup the following year, under the guise of "correcting a problem with the formula". For instance, in 2003/4 the Margin of Victory component was minimized to 21 points because it was believed that the 77-0 romp and others got us in over USC. In 2004/5, the media wanted to see SEC vs. USC, and was bummed that we made it instead. So, Margin of Victory was completely removed and the computers were minimized in favor of the FAR more objective media.

Just FYI, the 77-0 margin had no bearing on the computers in 2003 since margin-of-victory was removed from all computer rankings in 2002.

When USC didn't get in in 2007, the AP "took their ball and went home" pouting by removing themselves from the formula.

Also FYI, the AP poll bailed after the 2004 season rather than in 2007. I don't think that move had anything to do with USC getting into the Orange bowl in 2004.

cheezyq
8/20/2009, 03:49 PM
Just FYI, the 77-0 margin had no bearing on the computers in 2003 since margin-of-victory was removed from all computer rankings in 2002.

Also FYI, the AP poll bailed after the 2004 season rather than in 2007. I don't think that move had anything to do with USC getting into the Orange bowl in 2004.

You are right, I got my facts mixed up. Been too long since I made the argument I guess. After LSU/OU, the formula was changed to add more of the "human" (read: error-prone and highly biased) component. Then, after OU/USC, the AP left because it did not get the SEC/USC matchup it desired.

Regardless, the point that the BCS formula has been changed with an anti-OU slant is still a valid one. They still can't keep us out, though.

Also as a clarification, SOS used to be an individual selector for the BCS formula. However, it was minimized along with the computers when changed for the 04/05 season, as it is no longer an independent component, but rather an inclusive component that the computer rankings use as part of their 1/3 of the formula.

BoulderSooner79
8/20/2009, 04:39 PM
The BCS formula has been tinkered with a lot over the years. To say it is anti-OU is a bit paranoid. I think it is more accurate to say that OU is a team that is consistently in contention for a top 2 slot and thus part of the review. In '03, OU was already guaranteed BCS #1 *before* the CCG and most controversy was between USC and LSU. After the season was over, many voters didn't want a team that got trounced in their CCG to already have a lock in the title game. You say they didn't want "OU", but I think it's more fair to say they didn't want a repeat of the situtation. The NU situation the year before also fed into these changes.

Sirus
8/20/2009, 05:18 PM
I just had to post a reply on there due to some @$$ hat who thinks the noles aren't getting any respect.

gatorpower
8/20/2009, 07:28 PM
The point was that OU "schedules" (that's a verb, not a noun) good teams.

Like I said, you pick arbitrary criteria and then hammer them home whether they're right or not. Apparently 'scheduling', in this connotation, is limited to 4 games a year. But your point here is incorrect.

UF does schedule (a verb, not a noun) it's entire season of games.

Florida has the choice of which conference to join, maintain or leave. Membership in the SEC is not required by the NCAA.

For instance, the SEC invited Florida State to join it's conference in 1992 and they declined, electing instead to join the ACC. Recently, Miami elected to leave the Big East and join the ACC, along with Virginia Tech and Boston College. Notre Dame, of course, is an independent.

The point is, Florida's decision to be in the SEC is a definitive schedule choice. It commits Florida to an arrangement that's actually much stronger than a simple home-and-home contracted between two athletic directors.

mOUse made the point that Georgia/Va Tech/Miami "schedules" (verb) good OOC teams. UF doesn't.

Don't you mean, "UF doesn't 'schedule' good OOC teams outside the state of Florida"?

And playing teams inside your own state doesn't provide the same level of competition as playing teams out of state on the road.

How? The team boards an bus to play Florida State, a three-hour drive. The team boards an airplane to play Miami, a 2-hour flight. The distance from Gainesville to Miami is 337 miles. If Florida drove 337 miles in any other direction, it would be in a different state.

But the point you're making is ridiculous. It only takes a few hours to fly from anywhere in the country to anywhere else. Is a 5-hour flight in 1st-class accommodations physically draining on a 20-year-old listening to music on his iPod?

The distance doesn't make the game hard, the team you're playing does.

One can make a very strong argument that the SEC doesn't schedule (verb) anyone good outside of the SEC

If you want, I can give you a list of the OOC schedule the SEC has played. It might surprise you.

cheezyq
8/21/2009, 04:17 PM
Like I said, you pick arbitrary criteria and then hammer them home whether they're right or not. Apparently 'scheduling', in this connotation, is limited to 4 games a year. But your point here is incorrect.

UF does schedule (a verb, not a noun) it's entire season of games.

Florida has the choice of which conference to join, maintain or leave. Membership in the SEC is not required by the NCAA.

For instance, the SEC invited Florida State to join it's conference in 1992 and they declined, electing instead to join the ACC. Recently, Miami elected to leave the Big East and join the ACC, along with Virginia Tech and Boston College. Notre Dame, of course, is an independent.

The point is, Florida's decision to be in the SEC is a definitive schedule choice. It commits Florida to an arrangement that's actually much stronger than a simple home-and-home contracted between two athletic directors.

Oh good lord. Really? Don't you have to be stupid somewhere else? You are manufacturing an argument out of thin air just because you got pwned. This is the dumbest line of reasoning I've heard since the last time you guys came here. Put down the crack pipe, dude.

Arbitrary? Hardly. What is the criteria for scheduling (as in, you have a CHOICE to schedule this or that game) your games? It sure as hell isn't conference choice. You don't schedule teams 5 years from now by thinking, "I wonder which conference we'll be in", or, "I'll bet that 5 years from now we'll be in the ACC". That's absurd. Get a grip.

As a consequence, your conference schedule is on a rotational basis and WHO you play is pretty much out of your control. It's part of a system that your conference puts together, not the individual team. The only variable that changes is WHEN you play (Saturday? Thursday? Noon? Night). And even that variable is subject to television network preferences frequently.

You also don't schedule who you play in bowl games. You play whoever that particular bowl committee chooses as an opponent. Therefore you can't schedule your "entire" season of games, unless you just don't plan on making a bowl that year.

So guess what's left? That's right, out of conference games. (Seriously, how hard is it to understand this???) Those are the only games that you can truly schedule (verb). It is clear, over numerous seasons, that UF (as well LSU and other SEC teams) does not schedule good teams outside of their own state.

Don't you mean, "UF doesn't 'schedule' good OOC teams outside the state of Florida"?

Um...that's what I said, right?

How? The team boards an bus to play Florida State, a three-hour drive. The team boards an airplane to play Miami, a 2-hour flight. The distance from Gainesville to Miami is 337 miles. If Florida drove 337 miles in any other direction, it would be in a different state.

But the point you're making is ridiculous. It only takes a few hours to fly from anywhere in the country to anywhere else. Is a 5-hour flight in 1st-class accommodations physically draining on a 20-year-old listening to music on his iPod?

The distance doesn't make the game hard, the team you're playing does.

Ah, so you're now saying that playing road games doesn't matter at all, that it's no big deal, and that it only matters who you're playing? So all the coaches in the universe that prefer to schedule home games are just paranoid? If that's the case, why doesn't UF ever schedule games across the country to face good teams? Take that argument up with someone who actually schedules games for a college team and see where you get with the "it doesn't matter where we play" bull crap.

I'd say that it's simple, but I'm sure that's only the case for me and the others on this board, because I'm not sure that you get it. Being in your own state, you're much more likely to have YOUR fans at a game than if you were to play in another region. Also, many of the players that are on your team are from your own state and frequently will be visiting their home town even on the road. To say it doesn't matter is truly ludicrous and you are delusional if you think otherwise...either that or you just don't know much about sports. There is nothing ridiculous about my argument, it is grounded in decades of sports history.

Use a little reason, and realize that your team plays good teams ONLY in-state and at home. LSU does the same. The only good team they've played recently OOC was Va. Tech...guess where that game was...certainly not in Va. I'm not saying that UF isn't a good team, but the entire country knows that UF schedules lame ducks. Nebraska used to do the same thing. K-State and Bill Snyder are notorious for it.

If you want, I can give you a list of the OOC schedule the SEC has played. It might surprise you.

Not really. I've already done the research. No SEC team plays a non-conference schedule as tough as OU or USC. Realize too that I'm not arguing in favor of the Big 12 as a conference, as I know that the majority of teams in the Big 12 schedule patsies just like the SEC does. The Pac-10 is the same way, with the lone exception of USC. I'm only saying that OU schedules tougher OOC teams than Florida.

And I'm right. There's nothing you can say to argue, as all the evidence falls on my side of the argument. Case closed.

And this BS from you Gator and SEC fans is bordering insanity along the lines of a certain cult that made headlines in Waco, Texas. Seriously, all anyone said here is that UF doesn't schedule good teams outside their state or their conference. IT'S INDISPUTABLE FACT. No one here is saying that UF sucks or anything like that. We KNOW you have a good team, we saw you win the f-ing championship, you idiot.

Yet what happens with you lame-*** Gator fans is that you can't STAND it when everyone isn't pumping sunshine up your ***. Everyone MUST agree that UF is super awesome and perfect and is never wrong in anything they do. To vote someone as an all-conference over Tebow is the ultimate travesty and MUST be investigated and the vote changed because clearly he's God's angel sent from above to bless the universe with his good deeds and awesome football prowess. Tebow MUST win the Heisman because no college player could POSSIBLY be as good and he has God on his side. (as if God gives a crap about CFB, really). God forbid that someone put up a fight or anything, cuz then Brandon Spikes will cry to the media about what a horrible bully the other team is. WAAAAAH.

Get a grip on reality dude. UF has flaws just like the rest of the CFB teams out there. You don't have to jump on to every OU-friendly forum and vigorously defend EVERY argument about UF, particularly when you are so completely wrong.

Johnny Utah
8/21/2009, 05:24 PM
pw3d again gator power (btw your post was as lame as your user name) ... note that there's not one gator fan on here that uses a "creative" name (like Sonny Crockett :cool: for example).

stoopified
8/21/2009, 06:49 PM
Well....SOS isn't part of the BCS anymore....in theory. But in reality, it is. A third of the ranking is the computers and some of them factor in SOS. So we almost always come out ahead in the computers because of this. I love the fact that we play a tough schedule. I think it helps you in the long run....whether it be in SOS or experience against tough teams. Castiglione is doing us right by scheduling good teams.Exactly.Computer rankings is what kicked the Orange Cows in the nutsack last year. :D