PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Brown Facing Eligibility Issues

CK Sooner
8/18/2009, 07:16 PM
Brown Dealing With Distractions

Freshman running back Bryce Brown rode quietly on a bike Tuesday afternoon on the Tennessee practice field, and he continues to be slowed by a hip injury. But according to head coach Lane Kiffin, the injury is not the only thing on Brown's mind.

An early morning MRI showed no significant injury to Brown's left hip, but Brown's status for the Western Kentucky season-opening game is unknown because of a continued investigation into his amateur status, according to Kiffin, who divulged the information following Tuesday's workout.

"He had a great scrimmage and he continues to get news that the NCAA continues to investigate him and his whole history going back to when he was young and I know that bothers him," Kiffin said. "It's pretty unfortunate. I think it is a gigantic distraction and I think it's unfortunate. ...

"It has nothing to do with his recruitment -- not just by us but by anyone. This is something that from my information says goes back to when he was a sophomore in high school. It's very unfortunate for him because he is a great kid. He had a 3.6 in high school and graduated early and I think he has a 3.7 here so far. It's very upsetting to him."

Kiffin acknowledged that he is concerned about Brown's status for start of the season. A source told VolQuest.com that the continuing investigation has the NCAA in Knoxville today.

At the heart of the matter is Brown's relationship with his advisor, Brian Butler. Until the matter is resolved, Brown's amateur status remains a question mark making him ineligible for competition at this point.

While there are obvious concerns over the matter not being resolved, Tennessee is optimistic that it will be done before the season opener on Sept. 5. If the matter is not resolved before the Vols kick off the season, Brown almost certainly would not appear in that contest - or any other game - pending the outcome of the investigation.

This is the same investigation that started back in late February when Butler's advising company Potential Players came into question after garnering national attention during Brown's recruitment by Tennessee and other schools.

rainiersooner
8/18/2009, 07:18 PM
I guess we'll wait to see what the facts are...sounds at first blush like more poppycock from the NCAA.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2009, 07:23 PM
No way to see that one coming :rolleyes:

JLEW1818
8/18/2009, 07:25 PM
we need a kiffin smile

OK2U
8/18/2009, 07:56 PM
'09 Fulmer cup champs

OUstud
8/18/2009, 10:39 PM
What a shocker!

Great coaching swap, Tennessee.

boomersooner28
8/19/2009, 09:47 AM
I would think that if you did nothing wrong, this investigation would not bother you. Bryce being upset about it, seems to make me think there is something that the NCAA may uncover.

badger
8/19/2009, 10:27 AM
I miss football season more with every offseason report like this.

How bout a Kiffin's wife smiley instead? Here's one of her lesser appealing pics:
http://media.knoxnews.com/kns/content/img/photos/2008/12/01/kiffin12.mp2310738_t600.jpg

soonerfan28
8/19/2009, 02:47 PM
I heard that they could wind up coming to see Jaydan Bird over some of the same mess that Brown is in.

Potentialplayers.com

The ongoing NCAA Investigation
8/18/2009
Potential Players is in the news again. Not speaking about the numerous D1 college athletes that they've helped, but about the ongoing NCAA amateurism probe that was started in February. Here is the mission of the non-profit foundation:

"Potential Players Foundation Promotes Spiritual, Academic, and Physical growth to high school age student athletes and assists these at risk student-athletes in recognizing how their decisions impact their family, community, nation and world. In doing so our mission is to expose them to higher education, while preparing them to excel in high school academics and adulthood."

Potential Players Academic Summer Tour, and any other activity of PP is focused on this mission. Every parent that has been involved with Potential Players or L.I.F.E. Training LLC can speak to the positive experience and development that their son or daughter has had since working with PP and/or LIFE Training.

"We promote and demand a standard of excellence amongst our student-athletes in the classroom, in their decision making, and on the field. "We would never jeopardize the hard work of any of our young men or women involved with our program, by not following the NCAA guidelines. We stand by the statements that were made to the NCAA in March and have had no further questions since. We would expect for the NCAA to do a thorough investigation of the top player in the country, and we look forward to the conclusion," stated Brian Butler.

And, we appreciate the continued parent and community support regarding our business. We also send our prayers out to all of the young men who have been training with us to prepare for the 2009-2010 season.

Here is a list of players who have been involved with Brian Butler's training, or camps:

2009 Class and School Attended

Jaydan Bird-University of Oklahoma, Bryce Brown-University of Tennessee, Devin Gfeller-Kansas St. University, Wil Richards-University of Nebraska, Riley Spencer-University of Kansas, Forrest Stucky-Pittsburg St., Huldon Tharp-University of Kansas, Kevin Young-University of Kansas, Aaron Wilson-Butler County, Jeff Page-Butler County , Garrett Kraft-Coffeyville C.C., Justin Puthoff-University of Kansas, Jake Snodgrass-McPherson,

NFL

Kamerion Wimbley-Cleveland Browns (2001)

Players Currently in 4 year Colleges

Tysyn Hartman-Kansas State University (2007), Frank Delarue-Kansas State University (2007), Matt Bowie-University of Kansas (2007) , Arthur Brown Jr.-University of Miami (2008), Chris Harper-University of Oregon (2008), Chase Meija-Northern Illinois University (2008), Blaize Foltz-Texas Christian University (2008), D.J. Breathett-University of Oklahoma (2008)

Scholarships Commits for 2007 -2008 Camp Participants

Blake Bell-University of Oklahoma(2010 Commit), Devin Hedgepeth-Oklahoma St. University(2010 Commit), Nathan Stanley-University of Mississippi, Ethan Powell-Missouri Southern, Brayden Burris-Iowa State University, Brock Bell-Emporia State University, Bart Voegeli-University of Kansas, Austin Yeargain-Southwestern Oklahoma St. University, Romero Cotton-University of Nebraska , Garrick Williams-Wake Forest University, Jake Morse-Missouri State, Trey Stead-Emporia State University.

CK Sooner
8/19/2009, 02:50 PM
I heard that they could wind up coming to see Jaydan Bird over some of the same mess that Brown is in.

I hope not.