PDA

View Full Version : Nic's in OKC on Food Network right now

setem
8/17/2009, 09:04 PM
CHECK IT!

Place is amazing! I eat breakfast there every Thursday.

Petro-Sooner
8/17/2009, 09:07 PM
Love that place!

Cam
8/17/2009, 09:08 PM
Last time I was there for lunch there was no line/wait at all. That's going to change now.

Norm In Norman
8/17/2009, 09:10 PM
Usually you have to go about 11 to eat without waiting.

setem
8/17/2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah I dont think I will be able to get in on thursday!

okienole3
8/17/2009, 09:15 PM
Is this a new episode? I wonder when The Diner episode airs?

setem
8/17/2009, 09:17 PM
Not sure...Nic told me his would be on the 1st of September but this is not true.

Norm In Norman
8/17/2009, 09:23 PM
I've been recording this stupid show for months trying to make sure I didn't miss Nic's or the Diner. Tonight for some reason it stopped recording after 5 minutes. Luckily it was still on the channel so I could watch it. That was cool.

Petro-Sooner
8/17/2009, 09:28 PM
Keep us updated when The Diner is showed. Try to keep up with the show but at times I forget.

KC//CRIMSON
8/17/2009, 09:37 PM
Food Network’s Guy Fieri returns to sample Oklahoma flavor

Food Network’s No. 1 show, “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives,” shot in Oklahoma this week at six different locations, including Eischen’s, Mama E’s, Cattlemen’s Steakhouse, Nic’s, The Diner in Norman and Ingrid’s Kitchen.

Host Guy Fieri met with media today before the shoot at Ingrid’s, where he was scheduled to help bake fresh rye bread.

“I tell people I used to cook for thousands of people, now I cook for millions,” Fieri said.

Owner of five restaurants in California and host of several shows, including “Guy’s Big Bite,” Fieri said that the opportunity has been an amazing chance to introduce the world to the backbone of Americana: the people in the kitchen.

“It’s a labor of love in most cases,” he said. “People don’t realize what a hard job it is. What goes into it.”

Fieri talked about our need to teach children about food and the importance of it not only for their health but to appreciate it, and the hard work that goes into producing it.

A team of producers do the research on potential restaurants and cull them down into roughly 25 just to select one. He said they will shoot for up to 12 hours to lay the groundwork for the six-minute segments the show airs.

Fieri said cooking is therapy for him and because he spends much of the year on the road, he will often ask to use the kitchens of the restaurants they feature to cook for their family and friends and his crew.

“It helps keep me close to the food.”

He did say that they have walked out of establishments, crew and all, when the standards didn’t meet expectations.

“I’m not going to falsify my reactions,” he said. “What you see, is my honest response.”

He did say that just because a place does one dish great doesn’t mean they do all things great.

“Hey, don’t ride me because you didn’t like the burger when I said I liked the waffles.”

Fieri said that he’d rather not eat than eat something not done right.

“Take a BLT,” he said. “You put a beautiful piece of bacon on fresh baked rye bread, like here at Ingrid’s, washed and dried lettuce — not soggy — slice an heirloom tomato and make fresh mayo from nice bright yolks and it’s amazing.”

As for his home, he’s never without garlic because it relates to so many ethnic cuisines. He said oils are important, too — the right ones for the right jobs.

“So often I see people heating up extra virgin olive oil that you should drizzle, and they’re gonna miss the flavor.”

He also keeps supplied with fresh, quality peppercorns.

“The good stuff, like tellicherry, you crack those open and the smell is great — it just pops.”

He rounds out the kitchen basics with a selection of vinegars and salt.

“Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives” has previously featured Leo’s Barbecue and The Rock Cafe, which burned last year and is in the process of rebuilding.

The new Oklahoma segments will be mixed into different episodes and are expected to air in the next six months, he said.

Finally, he warned us to enjoy these establishment now.

“I’ve heard business goes up 100-percent,” he said. “Just because you can’t get into your favorite places, don’t shoot the messenger. People will be driving up from Dallas to try these places.”

setem
8/17/2009, 09:49 PM
**** YOU GUY! I WANT MY NIC'S!

bluedogok
8/17/2009, 10:03 PM
My wife asked me why I have never taken her there when we are back in OKC...

Cam
8/17/2009, 10:12 PM
Cattlemen's IMO is the most overrated steakhouse I've ever been to. It's got history, but that's it for me. The steaks just aren't that good.

Turd_Ferguson
8/17/2009, 10:17 PM
Cattlemen's IMO is the most overrated steakhouse I've ever been to. It's got history, but that's it for me. The steaks just aren't that good.concur. I like there salad and bread though.

setem
8/21/2009, 09:57 AM
I was unable to go yesterday...so I went today! NUM NUM NUM!

GottaHavePride
8/21/2009, 10:07 AM
Man, you mean The Diner is going to be even MORE packed than it is now? ****.

NormanPride
8/21/2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah, that sucks. You have to wait an hour just to get seated there on good days. :(

StoopTroup
8/21/2009, 11:17 AM
God forbid any of you fat asses miss a meal. :D

1890MilesToNorman
8/21/2009, 11:35 AM
If you missed it like I did? future air times below.

Sep 04, 2009
9:00 PM ET/PT
Sep 05, 2009
12:00 AM ET/PT
Sep 06, 2009
3:00 PM ET/PT

Cam
8/29/2009, 02:27 PM
I have a buddy that goes to Nic's for breakfast 2-3 times a week. Nic told him that a few days ago they did 250 burgers at lunch. Nic thought at one time that he might be able to do 150 without getting a bigger grill.

NormanPride
2/1/2010, 03:40 PM
No love for anything in Tulsa...? I love the Blue Dome diner like I love Ice Cream. And anyone who knows me knows how I feel about Ice Cream.

Oldnslo
2/1/2010, 03:59 PM
Blue Dome is teh awexome. It was my Dad's favorite place to eat other than at my house.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/1/2010, 04:47 PM
There's a bad *** Whataburger on 41st and I-44.

And baby, don't forget the greatest microwave burrito known to man at QuikTrip on Highway 97 and W. 41st!

Tulsa > OKC

TopDawg
2/1/2010, 05:12 PM
Mama E's...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

silverwheels
2/1/2010, 05:41 PM
Ingrid's Kitchen on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives tonight at 10pm

www.ingridskitchen.com/Beer___Wine_Bar.html

Sweet.