PDA

View Full Version : Barry Tramel say's Gresham shouldnt...

adoniijahsooner
8/17/2009, 12:03 PM
speak, because he gave a shout out to Michael Vick. He even goes so far to suggest nfl teams may red flag Gresham...dumbest piece of crap ever!

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2009/08/17/gresham-speaks-maybe-he-shouldnt/

Gresham speaks: Maybe he shouldn’t
Posted by berrytramelon August 17, 2009 at 8:21 am When I said a couple of weeks ago that OU tight end Jermaine Gresham wasn’t talking to the media, I wasn’t exactly correct. Turns out, Gresham is talking to the media; he just isn’t doing interviews.

Last Friday after an OU practice, a group of reporters, maybe 20 in all, were gathered around Bob Stoops just outside the Switzer Center. The Sooners were filing into their locker room, and Gresham walked by. “A shoutout to Michael Vick,” Gresham yelled at the media. I don’t know how many heard him; I was actually turned in the direction of the players, so I heard it. A couple of seconds later, Gresham yelled again, “A shoutout to Michael Vick.”

The day before, Vick and the Eagles had agreed to a contract, so one of the NFL’s superstars was back in the league after a two-year absence due to a federal investigation, and subsequent conviction and prison term, for dog-fighting.

You can certainly understand why some college football players were Vick fans and are happy he’s back in the league. Heck, I’ve got no problem with Vick being back in the NFL. He served his time. Let him play.

But is Jermaine Gresham just daring NFL scouts to put a red flag by his name? Gresham is an all-world tight end who will go high in the draft. First half of the first round, almost certainly, and maybe about as high as a tight end can go. Tight ends typically don’t go in the draft’s top 10, but Gresham is such a special talent, he could threaten that barrier.

If he’ll stop being his own worst enemy. Gresham was arrested earlier this year for failing to pay a seat-belt fine. No big deal in the American judicial system, but certainly a sign that someone doesn’t take care of business. Then Gresham declares he’s not talking to the media because he didn’t like the way that story was handled — a two-inch story in one column on the front page of The Oklahoman sports page. Now Gresham is marching around yelling support for Vick, which certainly is Gresham’s right but won’t make NFL scouts think they’re dealing with a mature, thoughtful player. Vick is a polarizing figure. Empathy for Vick is not a bad thing. Public celebration for Vick is not a popular move for NFL owners.

The NFL is big business. Big and serious business. Teams spend a lot of money and do a lot of investigation on prospects. If you’re a step slower than the ideal, they mark it down. If you’ve had a few injuries, they mark it down. If you got into trouble in high school, they mark it down. If you show a lack of responsibility, they mark it down. If you show a lack of common sense, they mark it down.

That doesn’t mean teams won’t draft Gresham high. Or even just as high as they would have. But it also doesn’t mean teams will look only at Gresham’s height, weight, speed, hands and skill. Gresham could be costing himself money. If Randy Moss can fall all the way to 19th in the first round, Jermaine Gresham can slip a notch or two.

Someone at OU should have a talk with Gresham and explain the way the world works. Do what you want and blame anyone you want. But do certain things, and you’re only hurting yourself.

Petro-Sooner
8/17/2009, 12:10 PM
I dont have a problem with the article.

soonerfan28
8/17/2009, 12:12 PM
Huh?

adoniijahsooner
8/17/2009, 12:12 PM
I dont have a problem with the article.

So in your mind, not paying your seat belt ticket is the same as getting in a brawl and killing pitbulls?

SoonerInFortSmith
8/17/2009, 12:14 PM
Tramel must be bored.

badger
8/17/2009, 12:16 PM
Offseason looms. :pop:

A shoutout to Gresham! :D

adoniijahsooner
8/17/2009, 12:19 PM
Gresham has been @ OU for 3 years so far, and the only thing he's done wrong is get arrested for a seat belt ticket, and that is horrible enough to cost him money? If I were gresham I would not talk the media either.

JLEW1818
8/17/2009, 12:32 PM
Offseason looms. :pop:

A shoutout to Gresham! :D

+1

goingoneight
8/17/2009, 12:39 PM
Gresham's just doing his part to stay out of Atlanta. :D

JLEW1818
8/17/2009, 12:41 PM
lol, true dat

SteelClip49
8/17/2009, 01:01 PM
Why is Trammel allowed to speak? His columns are garbage and yet people allow him to talk.

MichiganSooner
8/17/2009, 01:12 PM
I'm a conservative and believe Trammel is not out of line. If an employer is going to pay millions to an employee they will likely exhamine that job applicant with an electron microscope of the highest magnitude. Is it worthy of a newspaper article?

fwsooner22
8/17/2009, 01:13 PM
I totally agree with the article.....His name is Tramel......Gresham also has a right to be a college kid with an opinion.....who cares....can we play football already

OklahomaTuba
8/17/2009, 01:19 PM
;)

adoniijahsooner
8/17/2009, 01:21 PM
I'm a conservative and believe Trammel is not out of line. If an employer is going to pay millions to an employee they will likely exhamine that job applicant with an electron microscope of the highest magnitude. Is it worthy of a newspaper article?

Yeah, but saying a kid should be quiet for having an opinion, makes me want to tell him to shut up. I hate when the media go overboard and cast shadows on young men who are just being young men.

badger
8/17/2009, 01:41 PM
You all know that regardless of what Berry or others write that Stoops made him run the length of the field 50 times after the media left :D

rainiersooner
8/17/2009, 02:18 PM
The only thing Gresham has done wrong to cause Tramel to write this article, is refuse to speak to Tramel et al. The media (newsok.com) are more bothered about this than any prospective NFL team. The shout out to Vick just gave Tramel cover to write about how badly his feelings were hurt. Tramel needs to get some of Hartley's aderal to pep himself up a little bit imo.

soonerinabilene
8/17/2009, 04:28 PM
If NFL scouts thought Soulja Boy was mature enough to be a high draft pick at tight end, i dont think Gresham has anything to worry about.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/17/2009, 04:35 PM
I, for one, also hope that Vick works out. I hope he can continue to use this mistake to help others not make the same mistake. If even one person doesn't abuse animals because of what he says then this will have been all worth it. If Vick succeeds, then more animals are going to get their message out there. No one is going to listen to a failure...

setem
8/17/2009, 04:41 PM
My word he is reaching! Slow day in the news I guess!

gotpoi73
8/17/2009, 05:13 PM
mike vick is a dog killer, gresh is just a college kid. if an nfl team is willing to pay vick again after killing dogs, trust me gresh won't lose any money for a comment nobody will remember in a month, much less next april

badger
8/17/2009, 05:16 PM
Gresham declares he’s not talking to the media because he didn’t like the way that story was handled — a two-inch story in one column on the front page of The Oklahoman sports page.
It sounds like the only media he's not talking to is The Oklahoman... heh.

Gresham declined interview requests during spring practice, and he almost always avoids crowds. That's why he likes hanging around with Bradford.

"It takes the attention away from me," Gresham said. "Sam handles it perfectly. He's a nice guy. He's never rude to anybody. He always handled people with care. It's fun to see."

Link here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090729_92_A1_Univer876973&archive=yes)

Gresham was quoted during his part of the Big 12 media days along with Bradford and Gerald McCoy... you know, the type of event where players speak to the media?

soonerfan28
8/17/2009, 06:50 PM
Tramel's just tryin' to sell papers and yes I understand that was a blog, but if you can get people talkin' about you then that brings attention to your paper.

TXBOOMER
8/17/2009, 07:13 PM
Child please.

soonerinabilene
8/17/2009, 08:49 PM
no no no, its Chie Pleeze.

stoopified
8/17/2009, 09:01 PM
Given the amount of money the NFL will pay druggies,alkies, and felons I don't think Jermaine has anything to worry about on that score.The only real concern for Gresham at the next level is his inconsistent hands.

yermom
8/17/2009, 09:12 PM
now they only team that will take him is the Eagles :(

i guess it's better than Detriot

picasso
8/17/2009, 09:22 PM
Sounds to me like he's trying to tell him if it has any chance of hurting his getting drafted by certain teams then maybe he should tone it down a bit.

I don't think he's trying to equate a moving violating with killing dogs.

yermom
8/17/2009, 09:28 PM
he's kinda equating a shoutout to Ron Mexico with not paying a seatbelt ticket

i doubt anyone will remember either on draft day if we keep seeing what we did last season

goingoneight
8/17/2009, 09:31 PM
Given the amount of money the NFL will pay druggies,alkies, and felons I don't think Jermaine has anything to worry about on that score. The only real concern for Gresham at the next level is his inconsistent hands.

*snort* What? You mean the main reason anyone knows who he is? If by "inconsistent" you mean two or three drops all season long.

Soonerfan88
8/17/2009, 09:37 PM
Sounds like Tramel was on the rag that day & just felt the need to b---- about something. Gresham just made a convenient subject.

(I can say things like that because I am a woman. Yes, it's a double standard so just get over it. BTW, does anyone have any chocolate to go with my popcorn? :pop: )

TXBOOMER
8/17/2009, 10:12 PM
no no no, its Chie Pleeze.

That is the only thing that Ocho Cinco has ever contributed that I actually have found to be mildly entertaining.

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2009, 10:31 PM
Just because Tramel is a tool doesn't mean what he said here it worthless. Off-field behavior definitely *can* impact draft order and there are millions on the line. Aligning oneself with Vick doesn't sound wise to me given Vick was the most extreme case of an NFL owners nighmare. From highest paid player in the NFL to an orange jump suit. Yes, this is a silly single incident that will be forgotten. *Unless* it becomes a pattern between now and April and allows owners/GM to start seeing Randy Moss or TO. Nip it in the bud, son (I think he will).

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/18/2009, 12:23 AM
He is supporting Michael Vick...not dog killing

colinreturn
8/18/2009, 12:40 AM
that article had no point whatsoever.

Pigface1
8/18/2009, 11:53 AM
Shout out to Michael Vick!

Crucifax Autumn
8/18/2009, 12:06 PM
Tramel wrote something stupid? I'm shocked!!!