PDA

View Full Version : Behavior while watching OU games on TV

ouwasp
8/16/2009, 10:16 PM
I'd rather watch alone... but when the Sooners get way ahead I may go to my Dad's.

I usually put it on mute... can't stand listening to the blowhards state the obvious and hype the underdog...

I stand up quite a bit of the time...no relaxing here. (I did actually doze off during the Blake yrs once.) Lounging is for DVR time. Or when up by

I talk and occasionally yell at the TV. When Strait made his pick against Neb in 2000, my twins (7 at the time) actually got scared at my exultation!

When the game is tight, I may go out and drive around for 20 minutes, smoking a cigar...but I'll never listen to Bob Barry.

Anybody else have weird habits like this?

Boomer38Sooner
8/16/2009, 10:41 PM
I am always on the edge of my seat. I always have my old Wilson football in my hands....I just toss it around and hold it... I dunno why haha. I talk trash to the announcers and make fun of the other team. My favorite to make fun of was always Booger Daniel. I don't sit back, I sit forward. I am very antsy and my heart always races during the games. I can watch a game with other friends and family but sometimes I can make them mad because I can be rude haha

pappy
8/16/2009, 11:04 PM
I sit on the edge of my seat until we start blowing them out. I refuse to turn the channel when OU is playing even on commercials and halftime.. Even if its a blowout I watch the entire game...regardless of who else is playing at the time.

tigepilot
8/16/2009, 11:08 PM
I've watched alone so much that I'm way more comfortable that way but I do know another Sooner fan down here and will watch a game with him from time to time and I have to tone myself down a bit.

I do listen to the TV though... not that I like to hear what the announcers have to say but I like to hear the energy from the crowd. I talk a lot during the game and they often say the same things I say a few minutes later... makes me laugh.

I stand up most of the time... maybe sit down during commercials or something if I'm not pacing back and forth.

I had a similar incident to ouwasp regarding scaring the children but it was the Marshal interception at aTm in 2000 that did it.

Unless I have to work, I don't leave the house... Bob Barry's not even an option here (out of range of any radio station that carries OU games).

Edit: Oh and if during a blowout, the local TV station decides to show another game, I call and leave several drunken belligerent messages with that station. I don't understand that at all. If someone really wanted to see an out of market game, they would pay for a package that showed that game. If I paid for the same package, I wouldn't get any game that was supposed to be broadcast locally so I have NO chance of seeing the rest of the local OU game when they do that but the other game could have been seen by those who were really interested in it anyway.

JLEW1818
8/16/2009, 11:25 PM
well when i was single

locked inside my room, phone off... 20-30 beers...

but I'm a fan of college football too, so i watch from 9 A.M. gameday, until Hawaii or who ever gets done playing the next morning...

yermom
8/16/2009, 11:29 PM
last time i watched an OU game on TV i got called by a dba at work because they broke something during an upgrade that i had no idea was going on

i was not happy. at least i was watching on TiVo and only got like an hour behind

my solution to this problem was to just not watch games on TV anymore :D

JLEW1818
8/16/2009, 11:30 PM
and who were we playing ? (i know u have been to a bunch!)

yermom
8/16/2009, 11:33 PM
Tech in Lubbock '03

unbiasedtruth
8/16/2009, 11:42 PM
no different at home than when I am in the stands, a crazed and bezerked nutcase.....

my dogs run and hide and I hand my wife a credit card and say go buy soomething.....

rainiersooner
8/16/2009, 11:59 PM
well when i was single

but I'm a fan of college football too, so i watch from 9 A.M. gameday, until Hawaii or who ever gets done playing the next morning...

Dude, can I borrow your girlfriend/wife for one Saturday this season? Those days are over for me!

JLEW1818
8/17/2009, 12:20 AM
:D

we shall see

soonerchris
8/17/2009, 12:45 AM
I put on what I percieve to be the lucky item of clothing. Tell the family they can watch as long as they don't mock me in their attempts of cheering for OU. If something goes south they have to leave. Then the lucky item gets replaced and that usually rights the ship. Occasionally there are hurt feelings. Oregon cost me family therapy. Everybody was convinced it was there own fault!! And I got a new t v. Guess why after that game!!

SoonerStormchaser
8/17/2009, 12:52 AM
I just don't watch it that much anymore...my blood pressure is appreciating it.

unbiasedtruth
8/17/2009, 02:29 AM
the refs can hear me yelling through the TV right??????

Crucifax Autumn
8/17/2009, 03:14 AM
I am a total nutjob who scares the **** outta the kids. Out of my seat more than I'm in it and usually slamming a LOT of beer.

OUHOMER
8/17/2009, 04:56 AM
I stand and pace, sit on the edge of my recliner or stand behind it and lean on the back of it. i will some times go to a friends house, but i prefer to watch at home.

tigepilot
8/17/2009, 07:16 AM
Dude, can I borrow your girlfriend/wife for one Saturday this season? Those days are over for me!

+1

I used to watch all day but that ended after I was married. It seems I can do ANYTHING else all day but if it's watch football all day, that ends up in a fight. There's something about me watching football that pisses her off.

beer4me
8/17/2009, 07:24 AM
I prefer to watch alone but my wife sits and watch’s with me.

Then keeps telling me to quit cussing.

I don't listen of course.

But it is funny when she rips on the striped shirts in less than nice language:D

badger
8/17/2009, 07:36 AM
After one of Booger Daniel's interceptions in the first Big 12 championship game versus Mizzou, I used the DVR to rewind him pouting and complaining while sitting on a Gatorade tub. It was the funniest three seconds of TV ever (I didn't see the Stunned Aggie game) and I didn't mind that there were other people watching the game.

Eventually, mother said "that's enough" and I had to quit... see, doesn't matter if she's the guest and I'm an adult. She still knows when to tell her daughter "no."

fadada1
8/17/2009, 07:40 AM
my wife will sit with me, but usually has a book in her hand. when OU scores, i always get the "thank God" response - i don't think she actually looks up at the game.

our one dog is starting to sense that football season is near. my #1 phrase on game day is "for F**K sake!!!". the dog will usually come over to give comfort, until the next 4-letter word pops out, then she hides for the rest of the day. she may not know what the words are, but she knows they're not good and something is wrong.

LoyalFan
8/17/2009, 07:40 AM
Game Day Prep:
Purchase a 1.75 of Maker's Mark Berrrrrr(hic!)bunnnnnn.
Purchase large quantity of Beer, such as Hineykikkin's or Grolsch. (Ok, Michelob if munny's tight.)
Purchase package of Oscar Mayer All-Beef Bun-length franks, buns.
Purchase Tillamook Sharp Cheddar, Pringles Plain Chips, and can of Planter's Cashews.
Place M's Mark in Freezer.
Remove most breakables from viewing area.
Warn cats that Daddy might be acting in an alarming fashion for a while.
Kill time before kick-off by perusing certain websites (See: KinkyKimonoKuties.com; CuteChubbyChix.com; MiddleSchoolLibrariansGoneWild.com; FemaleForensicExaminersAllNekkid.edu)
Set system to play "Boomer Sooner", "OK Oklahoma", etc. on demand.
Alert neighbors and suggest they close all windows.

Game-watching procedure:
Strip to skivvies.
Pray
If scoring on first possession, worry that it will be the last time until behind by 14 with .34 to go in the fourth qtr.
If NOT scoring on first possession, gnaw fingernails to bloody state.
If opponent scores on first possession, gnaw toenails in similar fashion.
If behind at halftime, contemplate suicide.
If up by half-a-hundred at halftime, worry about opponent making historical comeback.
If game won by more than 35 points, rejoice then worry that Sooners burned up points they'll need next week.
If game won by less than 35 points, predict disaster in next game.
If game lost, assume fetal possession and refuse to answer phone or respond to knocks on the condo door.
There's more but you get the drift.

LF

Jack T.
8/17/2009, 07:44 AM
I just don't watch it that much anymore...my blood pressure is appreciating it.

I'm, sadly, in the same boat. I'll watch for awhile. . .but if we get behind and aren't playing well enough to catch up, I'll go do something else.

BornandBred
8/17/2009, 08:54 AM
My wife and I have been watching OU football together now for 9 years. She's learning the game, but it's a process. She knows what is good and bad and how to react to each, but I'll be pissed at a flag for a hold or something and she won't understand. I appreciate her effort though. She has learned that she can't sit on my lap during the game after I dumped her on the floor a couple times. I typically scream and yell a TON jumping out of my seat when anything worth note happens. I used to take a shot every time we scored, but that has stopped because I don't want to die, made myself sick during OU/TX 3 years ago. The dog is always nervous on game day, the energy, and TV volume, at my house is high. Chips and queso are a game day tradition. Lucky shirt is always on.

And there goes my work week...

stoopified
8/17/2009, 09:12 AM
I'm, sadly, in the same boat. I'll watch for awhile. . .but if we get behind and aren't playing well enough to catch up, I'll go do something else.So what did you do with all that free time on Saturdays in the '90's? :D

I have to save this thread because my wife thinks I am some kind of nutjob when it comes to OU football.This thread is prove positive that I am normal. :)

SouthFortySooner
8/17/2009, 10:37 AM
This is the power of it. I truthfully am very dissapointed with every offensive play we do not score and very disspointed with every defensive play there is not a turnover or loss of down or loss of yards. Like someone else mentioned my heart races.

BetterSoonerThanLater
8/17/2009, 01:21 PM
standing up most of game, football in hand, sooners gear on, pacing the living room floor. i yell at the tv all the time, and my dog barks when i get upset! i watch the enitre game regardless is we are blowing them out or not. my wife is the same way, for the most part. antsy, loud, and such. we fight over who holds the football, but have a rule: whoever is not holding the football, make sthe drinks. we rotate throughout the game

saturdays tend to be a rollercoaster of emotions in our house...whether it be taunting the other team, yelling at the refs, or screaming in joy over TD's we get pretty obnoxious

SoonersEnFuego
8/17/2009, 01:39 PM
I usually watch the game with my wife and youngest son, and whoever else comes over to watch. My wife and I go nuts. If the father in law comes over I end up defending OU's decisions every other play because he's a negative nancy. (You know the types: They want OU to do well, but complain so if we fail, they're not so mad because they expected it.) It makes me want to kick his azz sometimes, but I haven't yet.
My wife knows the game pretty well so I don't have to explain much to her, no more than you would to the idiot behind you in section 40 when he says, "Why do they get the ball now..." or some other crazy question. She's a pretty good football watcher. If people come over to watch, they are warned beforehand how crazy the environment will, and always does get.
I sit on the edge of my seat until the game is in hand, so I can jump in the air when I see a play developing, IE: Gresham being single covered by a LB.

In the yard is our giant inflatable OU football player and large OU banner that are put up just before gameday starts....Oh my God, I'm getting woo....uh...pumped up right now thinking about it.

I can't wait!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOMER!!!!

By the way, we named the large inflatable football player, Bud. And we have a little OU Gnome that sits on our entertainment center right in the middle. His name is Uwe. It's a good gnome name, I think.

SoonerInLubbock
8/17/2009, 01:46 PM
Unfortunately I am cursed with living in Lubbock. Therefor I usually watch games at home by myself. My wife as near perfect as she is, is a Tech fan, so it's off to her sisters (they still believe it was a touchdown)!

I did however go to a local bar to watch this past years OU-Tech game. It started out as you might think. A pool hall full of drunk Tech fans and in walks the guy with the #14 Sooners jersey. The talk started and I kept my cool (for survival reasons). Then of course OUr boys lay an epic whoopin on the poor overconfident Sand Aggies. Let me tell you my OU brethren.....That was the sweetest sounding silence I've ever heard.

Also I can relate to all the pacers. I walk at least a couple miles during a close game, by just pacing back and forth in my living room. :eek:

bstuff1979
8/17/2009, 01:47 PM
when it's an away game and on tv, here's the s.o.p.:

-Wake up around 6:30-7am to walk the dog. She wears her OU jersey.
-10-11am (if the game's in the afternoon): purchase Red Stripe. Lots of Red Stripe.
-watch game day and try not to take it seriously
-1 hour to 30 min. before game time: either friends are coming over or I'm heading somewhere.
During the game:
I will generally sit and stare at the tv like it's challenged me to a staring contest. I'm big on the x's and o's, so obviously it's helpful to pay attention. Only problem is the production is for entertainment, hense you don't get a solid x's and o's view. I'm generally fairly quiet, like a Meeeeeshy-gan fan, but will bust out a choice phrase when called for (ie, gordon reese). In case of emergency, I've got 4 ballcaps and (if at home) a couple of different red shirts on deck. I'm not all that superstitious, but when it comes to OU football there is no room for error. In an absolute worst case scenario (OU aTm 2000), I will iron laundry. Not so much my idea, but more of a fam tradition dating back to the '50s. Aside from the '60s and '90s...it's worked, so I don't question it.

BornandBred
8/17/2009, 02:11 PM
If the father in law comes over I end up defending OU's decisions every other play because he's a negative nancy. (You know the types: They want OU to do well, but complain so if we fail, they're not so mad because they expected it.) It makes me want to kick his azz sometimes, but I haven't yet.

That's the same reason I don't watch the game with my Dad. WE RUN TO OPEN THE PASS!!! THAT'S WHY!!!

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2009, 02:20 PM
The most excited I ever got watching an OU game was the '77 tOSU contest. Billy Sims got hurt, Lott got hurt. The situation looked absolutely hopeless and we pulled out a miracle. Von Schauman leading the cheers against him was priceless. My wife had gotten us some fast food at half-time - burgers and fries. My stomach was doing flip-flops and I couldn't eat a thing. When to game was over, I went to get my food and found she had eaten both meals and she was a good 105lbs soaking wet. Seems the nerves affected her the opposite way :)

kbsooner21
8/17/2009, 02:38 PM
HAHAHAHAH! Lots of good stuff in here!!!

badger
8/17/2009, 02:41 PM
One thing that is definitely NOT COOL is having a guest oversee the remote or take up more than one seat around the television.

Mom, bless her, had to put dad back in line on one of these occasions of channel surfing in the midst of football watching. It is something I grew up with - dad walking into the room and changing the channel when there's people watching something else - but my house now, and Sooner football stays ON... or at least football should stay on. Why are you looking at PBS at a time like this?!?!?!?!

ouwapiti
8/17/2009, 02:44 PM
pray that brent freaking 'mouse'burger isnt doing the play by play

JLEW1818
8/17/2009, 02:45 PM
all the big Stoops moments, Brent is usually the one calling

I don't get why people hate him?

i like him

OUMonster
8/17/2009, 02:56 PM
For us, the 2000 A&M game was epic in terms of fan behavior while watching an OU game on TV. We had about ten guys crammed into an apartment living room and every emotion that can possibly be expressed was done so in extraordinary fashion. Everyone knows how the game went and can probably relate.

JLEW1818
8/17/2009, 02:57 PM
lol, i wanted to start punching people when T Marsh pick 6

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2009, 03:22 PM

Then what do you do if something bad happens? :confused:

JLEW1818
8/17/2009, 03:34 PM
punch walls

kbsooner21
8/17/2009, 03:37 PM

LOL! The OU section at Kyle Field that day was a mosh pit!!!

goingoneight
8/17/2009, 03:55 PM
I only once ever remember getting loud watching a game at home. It was the game against UAB in 2006. Everyone kept telling me maybe they were gonna be good like TCU was and kept blaming it on the QB play of ENA... but ENA played great and we still looked like shat. That was god-awful defense in that game out of a unit that was hyped to best the best in the nation.

soonermix
8/17/2009, 03:56 PM
get up and start watching gameday
put on game day shirt
hope beers are in the fridge
call fraggle145 about 5 min before game time to confirm dippy sync
try to sit back and watch but will be on edge very soon
drinking and yelling will be administered as necessary

madillsoonerfan5353
8/17/2009, 04:03 PM
I sit on the edge of my seat until we start blowing them out. I refuse to turn the channel when OU is playing even on commercials and halftime.. Even if its a blowout I watch the entire game...regardless of who else is playing at the time.

Me too and have the same emotion that I had when I played! It's just the love of the game! When Crabtree scored the last td vs texas last year my 2 year old son started crying because I screamed soo loud!

JLEW1818
8/17/2009, 04:19 PM
Me too and have the same emotion that I had when I played! It's just the love of the game! When Crabtree scored the last td vs texas last year my 2 year old son started crying because I screamed soo loud!

i slapped my tv twice, once when it showed colts stunned face, 2nd time was macks stunned face

good thing i have a new tv now tho ... no more slapping

BudsBoy
8/17/2009, 04:22 PM
Hell I'm at the games, not at home hiding.

TahoeSOONER
8/17/2009, 04:23 PM
I'm a mess and proud to admit it. I don't care if we're playing Tulsa or saxet, I'm the overly intense dude that won't settle until were up double digits and then my pacing back and forth starts to slow the wider the margin of victory.

My 6th wedding anniversary is on September 5th so I'm always reminding myself to be more excited for that than the season opener so I don't start the season off in the dog house. Yes, she thinks I'm crazy, I love football.

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2009, 04:39 PM
i slapped my tv twice, once when it showed colts stunned face, 2nd time was macks stunned face

good thing i have a new tv now tho ... no more slapping

Jlew, did you sell that old TV claiming excellent condition and only viewed by little old lady watching Sunday sermons? ;)

JLEW1818
8/17/2009, 04:40 PM
haha of course

GKeeper316
8/17/2009, 05:58 PM
beer in one hand, bong in the other.

yellin at refs, cursing texas, screaming at recievers that drop passes...

its pretty fun. i live for saturdays. ill sit and watch every single game. 2-3 at a time.

setem
8/17/2009, 06:19 PM
I watch the OU game and that is all the football I can stand most of the day. Mostly due to the fact that I was either partying the night before or the game took it out of me. I do not get too crazy watching at home but there is beer and that always adds to the drama.

I remember the end of the Circus Bowl vs BSu. I just sat there in shock that that **** happened!

delhalew
8/17/2009, 07:50 PM
If my dad and I are both home we meet and watch together. My wife is pretty good. My 2 yr old daughter thinks I'm insane.

When we got #7 I lived in Atlanta and was bartending. I usually had to fight off UGA, gator, and seminole fans to get my Sooners on the tube. That night nobody screwed with me, not if they wanted to be served. When the dust settled I was a smug SOB, and had made a great deal of money as that was one of only a few times I ever bet on the Sooners. You better believe I made alot of scratch in SEC country.

fossil
8/17/2009, 07:59 PM
well when i was single

:P Been married 47 years. I still lock myself in the bedroom with 20-30 beers.

JLEW1818
8/17/2009, 08:09 PM
hehehe, i killed a guy once for knocking...oh wait

fadada1
8/17/2009, 08:13 PM
all the big Stoops moments, Brent is usually the one calling

I don't get why people hate him?

i like him

"the major"

"dallas baker the touchdown maker"

"pods" = partner

"herbie"

shall i continue????

JLEW1818
8/17/2009, 08:18 PM
Super Roy

T. Marshall pick

the 2 biggest Big 12 plays in Stoops history? care to argue that anyone?

fadada1
8/17/2009, 08:26 PM
ahhh, yes. and BBS was there for everything as well. yet somehow his hotdog has not been found and seth littrell is still a black defensive back.
:D

Dan Thompson
8/17/2009, 08:28 PM
As I get older, I try different things. I don't sit on the couch anymore. I very much remember the TT game. I sat in the desk chair at this computer and kept saying, "I can't believe this is happening" over and over again.

Seems like college football, outside of OU, do not remember that TT was #1 at the time.

I also leave the sound off most of the time.

I also help the refs alot, but they don't seem to listen to me.

JLEW1818
8/17/2009, 08:28 PM
haha i never said Brent was smart!!! but i like his voice when it comes to Sooner moments

soonersweetie
8/17/2009, 09:02 PM
can't sit down during the game, just can't. I'm very much a basket case and usually can't eat much either.

I tell everyone who is around me at the beginning of the game that I am not responsible for the things I might say or the way I might act throughout the course of the game. I'm not much of a lady during the game.

I think the only time I have ever scared my kids was during the OU/oregon game. That game still makes my blood pressure go sky high. Even more than the BSU game.

Sooner12880
8/17/2009, 09:13 PM
I usually always watch with my dad and sometimes my wife and mom watch.....we start by sitting but usually by the end of the first series we are up and i stand on one side of the tv as close as i can get and dad does the same on the other......we usually only sit for commercials from then on

bluedogok
8/17/2009, 09:28 PM
well when i was single

+1

I used to watch all day but that ended after I was married. It seems I can do ANYTHING else all day but if it's watch football all day, that ends up in a fight. There's something about me watching football that pisses her off.
I typically watch alone, even did that when I lived in OKC, I don't like too many "distractions" when I watch OU, my wife will usually "go shopping" during OU games. For OU games I usually turn down the TV sound and listen to the OU broadcast on Sirius, with the DVR I can usually sync the audio with video and try to follow the game thread on here.

I have a 52" and 24" HDTV's, the 52" has a HD-DVR and the 24" has a HD tuner, I also sometimes have a 13" with a sat box that I hook up as well. I watch pretty much watch football all day on Saturday and Sunday and she watches a bunch of it with me, in fact she was also the one who wanted told me to get NFL Sunday Ticket (and MLB Extra Innings) when I was thinking about it. I tend to watch more of the Tech games than she does, she gets more wrapped up watching Dallas Cowboys games than she does Tech, she expects Tech to lose because that is what they always did when she went to school there. My wife officiated football down here years ago, so she has always been a fan, most of our vacations involve a sporting event, we are going to the Broncos-Cowboys game in Denver later this season and we went to three baseball games on our honeymoon (KC, StL and Cubs games).

yermom
8/17/2009, 09:36 PM
she have a sister?

Soonerfan88
8/17/2009, 09:50 PM
I have a hard time watching at home so glad I see most in person. For some reason I can take the worst defeat (sat thru the entire USC debacle) in a stadium but get nervous watching us pummel Iowa State anywhere else. I'm usually pacing, then sit down & tell myself to be calm, but then jump up and rant some more. Unfortunately, I find myself turning the game off a lot because I just can't take it anymore. Luckily, I have a DVR - only finish watching if I know we won.

BTW, same issue when watching OU basketball also.

bluedogok
8/17/2009, 09:59 PM
I don't watch much OU basketball, or any basketball, the officiating drives me nuts. I think officiating has ruined basketball at all levels.

ouwasp
8/17/2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all the ...interesting ... responses. Sometimes I feel I'm the only neurotic. But now I know there are legions of us :) ....The Sooner Nuts

btw, my Dad, bless his bad, 78-yr-old heart, is quite the pain to watch a game with. Since I coach jh football, Dad considers me an "expert", thus able to answer any and all questions about why certain plays are called ,why they can't tackle on KOs, why certain receivers are so open, etc. Wears me out... one of these days I'll miss it though...but still, I generally only watch a game with him when OU is up by 24 or so.

For some reason, I can handle the stress of a game while I'm at Owen Field much better than watching on TV; I can get a better feel for the game I think.

SoonerAficionadOU
8/17/2009, 11:25 PM
I get really focused and quiet until there's a big play, then I explode out of my chair, usually spilling whatever poison I'm drinking that day. When we're down, my wife says the look on my face scares small children.

Bosley
8/18/2009, 04:28 AM
I've actually decided to not take the games so seriously this year.

I dont smoke cigs unless I'm drinking or OU is playing. As Collier can attest to, I've gone through entire packs in one games sitting. The NC game was so disappointing I actually had to address if I was taking it too seriously or not. I'm going to relax enjoy the game win or lose and not get too into it.

Except maybe the ut game. I'm going to rage like a bi-polar gorilla that hasn't taken it's meds in dallas if we lose this year.

Bosley
8/18/2009, 04:30 AM
Thanks for all the ...interesting ... responses. Sometimes I feel I'm the only neurotic. But now I know there are legions of us :) ....The Sooner Nuts

btw, my Dad, bless his bad, 78-yr-old heart, is quite the pain to watch a game with. Since I coach jh football, Dad considers me an "expert", thus able to answer any and all questions about why certain plays are called ,why they can't tackle on KOs, why certain receivers are so open, etc. Wears me out... one of these days I'll miss it though...but still, I generally only watch a game with him when OU is up by 24 or so.

For some reason, I can handle the stress of a game while I'm at Owen Field much better than watching on TV; I can get a better feel for the game I think.

Um...because we never lose at Owen Field.

Bosley
8/18/2009, 04:37 AM
Also I'm noticing everyone's kids are horrified of them on Saturdays. I've read some variation of "My 4 year old crys/freaks out/thinks I'm wierd/thinks I'm insame" like....8 times.

Are Saturday morning cartoons still big with kids? I used to live for Ninja Turtles, Batman, and Bobby's World on Saturday morning.

gaylordfan1
8/18/2009, 08:24 AM
Man, I consider myself lucky in the wife dept... She is the one that turned me from a average game day watcher to the semi-crazy fan I am today. OUr routine game-day is to fill the frig with beer, pick up our order from chick-fil-a ( 200 pc chicken nugget platter), prepare our lil smokeys, and watch football all day. We always watch the game at home... can't get a DUI on the couch. The only time I went to a game is when my wife cheered at the alumni game vs Kansas last year. I just can't watch a game without a beer or beers in my hand.... it's my buffer!

kc sooner
8/18/2009, 10:18 AM
I have to save this thread because my wife thinks I am some kind of nutjob when it comes to OU football.This thread is prove positive that I am normal. :)[/QUOTE]

Me too, she always gets mad when I'm going crazy and I try to explain that I'm not the only one - she always says she just wants OU to win so I'm not in a bad mood the rest of the day. She will go to games with me though, we usually go down to Norman once a year for a game and we usually go when we are playing at ku or mu or ksu. We usually watch at my dad's, me and my brother, my wife usually won't go with me because she says she can't see the tv because we all stand in front of it so she watches at home. My dad has a cd with a continuos run of Boomer Sooner so anytime we score he cranks it up loud and all the kids come to the room and start dancing - it's great!

SoonersEnFuego
8/18/2009, 10:24 AM
punch walls
You sound like you're from that family on Police Academy that always boxes at family get togethers.

"Ah, pretty good son, but what about this! *THWACK**!"

SoonersEnFuego
8/18/2009, 10:25 AM
Man, I consider myself lucky in the wife dept... She is the one that turned me from a average game day watcher to the semi-crazy fan I am today. OUr routine game-day is to fill the frig with beer, pick up our order from chick-fil-a ( 200 pc chicken nugget platter), prepare our lil smokeys, and watch football all day. We always watch the game at home... can't get a DUI on the couch. The only time I went to a game is when my wife cheered at the alumni game vs Kansas last year. I just can't watch a game without a beer or beers in my hand.... it's my buffer!
Isn't it fun to have a wife that has a football IQ better than most men? :D

allentxsooner
8/18/2009, 10:29 AM
I love it, I need to show this thread to my wife so she understands my behavior, I have a one year old now and I am not sure what she will think of daddy after a few saturdays

SoonerPr8r
8/18/2009, 11:07 AM
I am at all of home games and stand and yell the entire time. And if I am feeling adventurous I will sneak a little drinky into the stands with me. If i am home I am usually pacing back and forth when the score is close and jumping and taking out most light fixtures/ceiling fans in the process on big plays.

I like to have my fiance with me win or lose. If we win we have a good time and if we lose she knows the best way to comfort me:D

delhalew
8/18/2009, 12:45 PM
Unfortunatly Bosley our children now have the most pathetic choices of Saturday morning cartoons I would have ever been able to imagine.

I am going to hunt for DVD sets of Looney tunes, Old Hannah Barbera, GI Joe, ect for my children.

swardboy
8/18/2009, 02:04 PM
^This. Make sure to include some Little Rascals to sharpen their racial profiling skilz.......

DakotaSooner
8/18/2009, 02:08 PM
My family gets together for every game at my Dad's house. We have the same spread every week......chips and hamburger cheese dip, little smokies, pulled pork sandwiches, beer, and black velvet.....My Dad and I are obsessed and watch in the living room, the other ones party in the four seasons room and pray for OU to win so that the night won't be ruined!

hcm949ik
9/3/2009, 03:58 PM
Just get this program

http://freesatellite4tv.com/images/ve-tinh_03%20copy.jpg
Over 5000+ TV Channels (http://freesatellite4tv.com/index.php) & Live TV (http://freesatellite4tv.com/index.php)Broadcasts on the Internet

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1mnyk2m2jwv

Or
http://rapidshare.com/files/219726111/Free_Satellite_4TV.zip

hcm949ik
9/3/2009, 04:24 PM
Just get this program

Over 5000+ TV Channels (http://freesatellite4tv.com/index.php) & Live TV (http://freesatellite4tv.com/index.php)Broadcasts on the Internet

Download:

Or

CK Sooner
9/3/2009, 04:32 PM
Ban Him ^^^^^^^^

hcm949ik
9/3/2009, 04:36 PM
Just get this program

Download:

Or

CK Sooner
9/3/2009, 04:44 PM
Ban Him ^^^^

SoonerAficionadOU
9/3/2009, 05:19 PM
$5 says it's a virus

SoonerE
9/3/2009, 05:44 PM
This is a great thread. My kids all think I'm crazy too. I have 5 and my oldest two are getting old enough that they dare watch the game with me. My 3 little ones still think I'm completely nuts and are usually doing something else after the first quarter is over.

What is great is that after every touchdown or great play I will hollar BOOMER!! and I'll get a SOONER!! at least 5 times from different rooms in the house.

My wife usually vacates the room and hopes that the Sooners win so the whole day is not ruined.

Reading all this has me so pumped up!! Come on Saturday!!!

BYU is screwed!!

SoonerE

soonerloyal
9/3/2009, 07:19 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/KevAndLori/AwesomeThread.jpg

IslandSooner
9/3/2009, 08:37 PM
I feel so normal now.
Thanks for this thread!!!

JediSooner
9/3/2009, 09:44 PM
Great thread! Kinda cool when you find out there are others doing the same crazy sht you do on game day and the days leading up to it. I thought it was just me being weird.

Like others, I spend game day on the edge of my seat, parked in front of my 73" DLP, volume cranked on the HT, at least until things are well in hand and I can relax a bit. Close game or not, I'm there until the end... or until the f'n network switches to a "more competitve game." :mad: OU could be up 80-0 and if they change the game, you'd think we just lost by the way I'm stompin' around the house cursin' the network. The beer's definitely a flowin'... I find the best time to go get another one is immediately after the other team scores. Good time to walk around, try to cool off... tell myself that'll be the only one. Of course, during the commercials is always a good time, too. I get the same (what I now consider to be normal) feelings of anxiousness/nervousness/heart racing as the clock ticks closer to kickoff. As for my wife, she's like at least a couple others I've read here... she enjoys it when OU wins because that sets my mood for the rest of the weekend.

soonerfan3778
9/4/2009, 07:27 AM
lets just put it this way. i broke 2 TV's last year...

kustang619
9/4/2009, 07:40 AM
I prefer to watch with my wife or by myself...I can't have people over to watch the game because in St. Louis people don't understand real football (example...Mizzou, Rams, and simple minded high school football).

I am very quiet during the game and I would say that I am a worrier. I am one of those people who feel like no lead is big enough. When we score or make a big play I then let out all the emotion. I always have to have on a jersey and it has to match with whether or not we are home or away... If we are losing at halftime I will change my hat... Just some of the things I do on gameday...

Intown
9/4/2009, 09:59 AM
Ideally, I would watch every game with the comfort, freedom, and conveniences of my couch. That being said, I will never pass on a guys only week-end at the lakehouse with football, poker, and unlimited supply of beer.

Watching from home plan of attack all depends on wife's plans, and it always starts with hoping she has "something better to do". I wish she would read this thread to understand why. This contingency plan is, and has been a work in-progress.

Best cases scenario: Wife out of town on Girl Scout Trip and can't call.
Pregame:
Go for a run, clear mind of work-week and all that it entails, and pre-mitigate the consequences of what my body will go through.
Shopping: 12 pack tallboys, bag of chips, pack of smokes.
Call friends with score predictions.
(if OU/ut, bottle of Yeagermeister - sp?)
Confirm TV schedule to determine dring pace: 2.5 beers per quater - 2 at half (cut rate in half if there is a second game i can't miss).

Progression after 1st quater
Officiate and swear at refs from couch - standing & yelling will usually scare off pets
If OU/ut, shot of Yeager with every OU TD or fieldgoal
Stand, pace, loud mutter - will scare off pets
Throw hat at TV -
Jump, yell, throw hat at TV
4th Quarter - grin when game is in bag
Remove all evidence and eliminate smoke odors from clothes.

2nd best scenario:
I usually start my campaign to convince my wife that she has better things to do during the game on Wednesday. If that fails, I push for watching game at friends' house. (The old, "---- asked us over to watch the game. What should we take to eat?" is 80% effective.)

Split (5 for me and 1 for her) 6 pack of diet lime beer with wife.
Lots of yelling GO GO GO and What is that?
A couple of high-fives.
Thanking friends for having us over.

Hold My Breath Option - Wife won't budge, minor game, and friends laying low.
Hope there is some left over wine in frig.
Deep breathing exercises.
Look at wife with "really?" face when she suggests it is time to do something else.

As bad as it gets option: collateral damage of watching live is too significant.
DVR game and the program following the game incase the game runs over.
Ignore all media & text messages. Sneak off to store, buy 2 quarts of beer, and keep them cool in the garage mini-fridge.
Get up when everyone else is sleeing.
Close all the bedroom doors.
Watch game from living room with volume as low as possible.
Fast forward commercials and half-time.
Double fist pumps.
Bury the bottles under the trash.
Mouthwash - go back to bed as quietly as possible.

LawtonBoy74
9/4/2009, 10:03 AM
Edge of seat all game, yelling and shouting at the top of my lungs...getting so pumped up feeling like I could fight someone or suitup and play!!

colinreturn
9/4/2009, 10:54 AM
Now that im a student, Im a little scared to go to OU/TEXAS. that game is sacred to me. i would give up christmas. and I watch all ou games in my house, with just my family and close friends.

I got kicked out of my house for the night after the Oregon incident.

I scream the entire time.

and 90% of the time my mom and I get into a argument about a playcall or a call and she goes upstairs to watch.

Its a hostile environment for me, and i am scared to watch it around other people.

Crucifax Autumn
9/4/2009, 11:01 AM
I act like a complete jaskass during the game, but I don't quite meet the requirements to play for Oregon.

ouwasp
9/4/2009, 06:24 PM
Goodness.....I kinda feel sorry for Intown.....hope he has a good weekend....